FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Can I control Chromecast with my phone without a wifi router?

6 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By choosetoride, Junior Member on 1st August 2013, 07:13 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th February 2014, 05:06 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski

Read the Stickies first.

Sry, Thanks. Answered all my questions.

5th February 2014, 06:18 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 363

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogzOfWar

I think the salient point from the above answers is that Chromecast seems to need an Internet connection for some things (like youtube).

Yes but truth is it needs Internet access for everything including the Cast a Tab feature since the apps the CCast loads are stored on the Internet...

Tethering to a phone or Tab will work but AdHoc connection will not.
25th June 2014, 12:16 AM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
push2tv3000
Netgear push2tv ...That's all you need my friend. Chromecast is nothing next to this. No need for WiFi. I plug it to my projector. No need ac adapter. Plug to projector usb or TV USB and its on. I stream anything on my phone screen to big screen. Anything!!! I have nexus 4 and perfect. Get netgear push2tv. No limitations.
25th June 2014, 01:30 AM |#24  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,010

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero13th

Netgear push2tv ...That's all you need my friend. Chromecast is nothing next to this. No need for WiFi. I plug it to my projector. No need ac adapter. Plug to projector usb or TV USB and its on. I stream anything on my phone screen to big screen. Anything!!! I have nexus 4 and perfect. Get netgear push2tv. No limitations.

Except that Push2TV is dependent on your device, since it's providing the content.
It's just a different operational model.
In the original poster's case, Push2TV would work since their content is on their phone and they're essentially looking for a wireless HDMI solution (which would also work).
26th June 2014, 06:14 AM |#25  
Flag Acireale, Sicily
Thanks Meter: 144

More
Contrary to what has been said, you CAN control your chromecast without an external router. Most non-google applications, including screen mirroring apps, will work and transmit to the chromecast through the WiFi access point you can enable on most devices (aka tethering).
See my thread in http://forum.xda-developers.com/hard...evice-t2791313

I could cast local media, YouTube and mirror my screen on TV using 3rd party apps. Google seems to dislike that because their branded apps don't show the chromecast when connected through tethered WiFi.

I think that being free from the need of an external router is great and allows the chromecast to be used anywhere and nomadically, instead of limiting it to a domestic appliance.

Let me know, please, if you can replicate my method, because at present no one seemed to bother to try and report

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
5th July 2014, 02:05 AM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 118

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by debernardis

Contrary to what has been said, you CAN control your chromecast without an external router. Most non-google applications, including screen mirroring apps, will work and transmit to the chromecast through the WiFi access point you can enable on most devices (aka tethering).
See my thread in http://forum.xda-developers.com/hard...evice-t2791313

I could cast local media, YouTube and mirror my screen on TV using 3rd party apps. Google seems to dislike that because their branded apps don't show the chromecast when connected through tethered WiFi.

I think that being free from the need of an external router is great and allows the chromecast to be used anywhere and nomadically, instead of limiting it to a domestic appliance.

Let me know, please, if you can replicate my method, because at present no one seemed to bother to try and report

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/26/how...asonic-sounds/ this may be what your looking for
5th July 2014, 03:25 PM |#27  

More
Not sure anyone noticed but at Google I/O they announced a new Proximity Casting feature that will allow friends to stream over their Cell Service to your CCast without needing to be connected to your WiFi.
Details were not clear (or at least I didn't read any) but it seems to work on a Location based PIN security system. CCast displays a pin that you punch in to make the connection.

The CCast of course would still have to be connected to a router for it's Internet connection but you would not need to be connected to that router to communicate with the CCast.

What I'm not sure of is if this connection method will be available for Apps to use or if it is just for casting local device content onto the CCast in the same way Mirroring works.

All of this requires the next GServices update and most likely Android 4.3+
10th July 2014, 10:18 PM |#28  
Clearwater, FL
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Plug The way I do it.
I use my Sprint network hotspot for everything like the OP. I own a Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 3D, and a SII. Only the Note 3 has internet but it can still use the hotspot created by one of the other phones if I just want to cast local content from my note 3. If I want to cast netflix or youtube I make the note 3 the hotspot and access the chromecast through one of the other phones. The note 3 has far more than enough processing power to handle anything I've thrown at it and Sprints unlimited 4G is fast enough to stream anything in HD without buffer or stuttering (4 down, 1.5 up, 80 ping). Hell, I even use my hotspot for online PC gaming and download from steam at 1.5mb/s, 70-80 ping is pretty damn good.

edit: All phones are rooted, rom'd and S-Off(htc).
13th July 2014, 01:10 PM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Info 2
http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/25/chr...rops-and-more/

So, pretty much, looks like problem solved with the latest update to chromecast.
13th July 2014, 10:27 PM |#30  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,010

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x6A7232

http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/25/chr...rops-and-more/

So, pretty much, looks like problem solved with the latest update to chromecast.

I'm not sure about that... Still requires Internet connection and a WiFi network to connect to. If the "not on your WiFi" feature does a WiFi Direct connect that isn't remembered, then maybe, but it might just exchange the existing WiFi authentication. We'll have to wait and see.
14th July 2014, 07:03 PM |#31  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

I'm not sure about that... Still requires Internet connection and a WiFi network to connect to. If the "not on your WiFi" feature does a WiFi Direct connect that isn't remembered, then maybe, but it might just exchange the existing WiFi authentication. We'll have to wait and see.

Nope it's not a WiFi direct connection from what I read...
I believe it uses a PIN system to determine you are in proximity but the streaming actually happens over Cell Data.
And it may be a Mirror only thing not really a Stream from App application.
We will have to wait and see how it all works.
They said Future I'm not sure that means it is coming anytime soon.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)