60 posts
Thanks Meter: 44

Post Reply Email Thread
13th September 2013, 09:25 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhemrules

Don't know why you are having that attitude, but I appreciate his comment. I'm outside the US and Chromecast supposedly only worked with Netlfix US. Glad to know its not the case.

Not true. I have Netflix Dom Rep (and currently reside in the Dom Rep.) and chromecast works fine. The problem is when I use orbot to access Netflix US. No chromecast button. Must be a conflict between the Orbot Ip and my ISP/modem ip

13th September 2013, 09:53 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 242

More
I can't access signup.Netflix.com and android app doesn't open when using Unlocator DNS servers.

EDIT: Ok, got the Android app working. Had to use VPN to sign up, after that it works. Now need to get my router setup for Chromecast. Thanks for the guide rufree2talk!
The Following User Says Thank You to poisike For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift poisike Ad-Free
16th September 2013, 09:47 AM |#13  
OP Member
Flag Bern

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisike

I can't access signup.Netflix.com and android app doesn't open when using Unlocator DNS servers.

EDIT: Ok, got the Android app working. Had to use VPN to sign up, after that it works. Now need to get my router setup for Chromecast. Thanks for the guide rufree2talk!

You're welcome! As a matter of fact, I have written the guide very poorly. If you would have setup your router to begin with, you wouldn't have needed the VPN step to sign up for Netflix. You would have been able to access Netflix without a VPN, sign up and directly Netflix content!
16th September 2013, 08:23 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks, a small query
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufree2talk

Using the already available information on the internet and a few threads of this XDA forum, I figured out how to get Netflix working in Switzerland, without having to use a VPN service.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a replacement for a VPN service and its functionality, but an alternative way to use geoblocked websites outside their origin countries. This workaround needs you to have either a DD-WRT router or atleast a router on which you can configure iptables via CLI.

• You will need admin access to your home router. Connect to this router via web interface or command line whichever is applicable.
  • Follow How to Setup DD-WRT to Work With Chromecast
  • I didn't have a DD-WRT router but with admin access I could use the commands in the previous step on the command line of my TP-Link W8960N router.
  • Use a free VPN service like Tunnelbear on your Android/iOS device or PC/Mac to connect to Netflix and setup your account. You can use any Credit Card as long as you provide the correct name and verification code. You can use any random USA based ZIP code.
  • I went ahead and created another iptables rule to force using Unlocator's DNS for all DNS queries via my router, hence making the need for this VPN step redundant. I can now access netflix.com without any VPN connection.
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 192.168.1.1 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination [Unlocator's_DNS_IP]
  • Try playing any Netflix content in the Chrome browser, and use the Netflix player's Chromecast button to cast your content. It will work without any issues as your Chromecast will be able to bypass having to query Google's DNS and query Unlocator's DNS.
  • You can now try the same from any Android or iOS device using the appropriate Netflix app. (You can find the Netflix apk here)
  • Happy Netflixing!

Hi Thanks so much for this important post.
Can you please help or suggest what DNS codes I should use in India ?

Regards,
Gunjan
17th September 2013, 12:13 AM |#15  
OP Member
Flag Bern

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunjandubey

Can you please help or suggest what DNS codes I should use in India ?

India or wherever, you should be using the DNS IPs of the service that you are using. Did you sign up for the Unlocator beta? If so, then you should be using Unlocator's DNS IPs (primary 50.112.186.233 and secondary 50.112.143.40)
17th September 2013, 01:05 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 1,011

More
Does "tomato" or "gargoyle" third party firmware on wndr3800 allow you to do this?
17th September 2013, 01:14 AM |#17  
OP Member
Flag Bern

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbsss

Does "tomato" or "gargoyle" third party firmware on wndr3800 allow you to do this?

Yes I believe it will... this method will work with DD-WRT, Tomato, Gargoyle or any other firmware which gives you proper control of your router... I am not sure what manufacturer/make is the WNDR3800 but if it has a compatible Tomato image you can very well flash it and use this procedure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to varun.c.jain For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift varun.c.jain Ad-Free
17th September 2013, 01:19 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 1,011

More
Quote:

Yes I believe it will... this method will work with DD-WRT, Tomato, Gargoyle or any other firmware which gives you proper control of your router... I am not sure what manufacturer/make is the WNDR3800 but if it has a compatible Tomato image you can very well flash it and use this procedure.

Cheers, I've flashed countless android phones but never a router. But I'd change the firmware just for this. Hopefully I don't brick it, should arrive in 3-5 days.
I heard good things about gargoyle, might give that one a try.
Anyone have any tips before I give it a go?
17th September 2013, 04:09 AM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

Big thanks for this, I really appreciate it, but can you please tell me what to look for in Tomato firmware to enable the method you mentioned.

Thanks again,
17th September 2013, 10:21 AM |#20  
OP Member
Flag Bern

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by basboss

can you please tell me what to look for in Tomato firmware to enable the method you mentioned

I do not have a Tomato router, but the documentation is very easily available on the internet at Tomato Firmware/Menu Reference
Connect to your Tomato router at http://192.168.1.1 as root user:
  • Go to Basic --> Network --> LAN --> Static DNS and configure Unlocator's DNS IPs (50.112.186.233 and 50.112.143.40) in the first two text boxes
  • Go to Advanced --> DHCP/DNS --> DNSmasq Custom Configuration and type strict-order in the text box
  • Go to Administration --> Scripts --> Firewall and add the two lines
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -j DNAT --to-destination 50.112.186.233
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -j DNAT --to-destination 50.112.143.40
  • Save and reboot your router and test whether you are able to open any Geoblocked website for eg. http://signup.netflix.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to varun.c.jain For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift varun.c.jain Ad-Free
18th September 2013, 05:34 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
It worked

Thank you for your time and help, I really appreciate it.

Sent from my GT-I9502 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)