[Kernel] Samsung Galaxy R (i9103) [OC][UV][ROOT] Kernel (Updated 2011-11-16 15GMT)

Search This thread

s4sixty

Apr 22, 2007
There is a CWM version 4.0.0.2 that works with the phone. I just found (and flashed) today myself.

I found it at a Chinese forum and at a Spanish forum. Downloaded from both and had the same flashable tar (checked with diff), though different apks (which I didn't install anyway).

After flashing with ODIN (the same way you flashed the rooted kernel), to enter into recovery turn on the phone and while it is on the Galaxy R boot screen, press voulme up and home together. Do not press them before powering on because your phone won't turn on, instead it may block and you will have to remove the battery for some seconds.

Thanks. Works as instructed.
Now i've backed up my original firmware n have root !

Thanks guys !

Next......someone needs to find a way to free up the partition taken up by the 3 HUBS. What a waste of precious space.

htinaung

Apr 7, 2006
does this rom has noise cancellation function? the device looks like it has second mic. however, when the other party hears even in a quiet room there seems to have some background noise.

Maze=]

Nov 22, 2011
Hi sir!

Will this working on the Hong Kong version Galaxy R?
FYI,the baseband version is I9103XXKI2
and the kernel version is 2.6.36.3-I9103ZSKI4-CL616986 se.infra@SEP-42 #3

Thanks.;)

Quad174rus

Oct 19, 2011
Can you explain more?
Have you used SetCPU to set the speed?
Have you "auto detected" the speed thru SetCPU?
In theory, it should be ok as many ppl have been doing that successfully :cool:
OOO Sorry!! downloaded is not what you need ...

put a kernel, and now the phone is stuck on boot with a triangle

problem is solved.
First download the kernel of the second link - do not install.
the first link all about.

Last edited:

D4rKiTo

Dec 12, 2010
Can you instruct on how to do that? Thanks.
Seems it is a "ROM" thing, rather than "KERNEL" thing :)

Sorry, I don't know how do it but as I see in google is a "kernel" thing. A lot of kernels shows as features: custom boot.

I found in angeeks a supposed kernel with custom boot. If can help you.. http://www.mediafire.com/?sh8gsf9spgwd8dr

One question, why u still using 2.3.5? Cause 2.3.6 is available since more than 1 month.

PD: Sorry for my bad english =)

Last edited:

ardatdat

Jun 13, 2010
Travel around; but XDA x24
Sorry, I don't know how do it but as I see in google is a "kernel" thing. A lot of kernels shows as features: custom boot.

I found in angeeks a supposed kernel with custom boot. If can help you.. http://www.mediafire.com/?sh8gsf9spgwd8dr

One question, why u still using 2.3.5? Cause 2.3.6 is available since more than 1 month.

PD: Sorry for my bad english =)

2.3.6 ROM is not available for all countries

As far as I know, some china ROM get 2.3.6 for more than 1 month. For me, I do not care much about the ROM version, until I can obtain the source code...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, so far, we don't have a separate forum for Galaxy R (i9103) so I need to put in here...

OK, the kernel is ready. I have tested it using Quadrant benchmark, CF-Bench and continuous playing of asphalt6 & dungeon hunter 2 for hours. Smooth and without causing much heat :)

Below are the details of the kernel:

Features
    =======

- For Samsung Galaxy R (i9103) only
    - Based on Samsung open source, kernel version 2.6.36.3
    - Added new frequencies: 1200 & 1300Mhz
    - Setting of max 1300Mhz through SetCPU
    - All stock frequencies are untouched: 216-1000Mhz
    - Expose the voltage settings to be set through SetCPU
    - Limit the boot up frequencies to be 216-1000 to avoid unstable boot up
    - Simple IO Scheduler
    - 2.6.36.4 patches
    - Speed up framebuffer copy
    - memory copy macros and functions fine tune
    - Misc. kernel fixes
    - Rooted (embedded su & Superuser.apk)

Download link
    ==========

Updated: 2011-11-16 2:40GMT
    Version: 1.2
    File: ardatdat_i9103_kernel_1.3G_v02_SIO.tar
    Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?9d2t25rcqby5v4l
    Mirror: http://www.zshare.net/download/961997663b9269b8/
    MD5: 6E32FBCF65DADDFF42374218D494401A

Q & A
    =====

Q: How to flash the kernel
    A: Just flash the .tar file using Odin3 PDA (the same as flashing most of Samsung's android phone). Easily search xda forum for Odin3 and how to use it (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1262272)

Q: Will it delete all my applications, settings or files?
    A: No. (should be..) It is a kernel, not ROM, therefore, nothing would be deleted

Q: What version of ROM is supported?
    A: Kernel version is 2.6.36.3, it is proved to work on 2.3.4/2.3.5/2.3.6 ROM

Q: I don't need overclock (OC), can you make a non-overclock kernel?
    A: The kernel itself supports max. of 1300Mhz. It doesn't mean that you need to operate in such frequencies. You can freely set your frequencies using SetCPU (for example, you can set 216/216 when screen off, and 216/1000). In such case, no OC will occur

Q: Will I be rooted after flashing this kernel?
    A: Yes. I have modified the kernel to make it embedded with su & Superuser.apk

Q: How stable is OC? Will the battery drain fast? Will the phone get hot?
    A: For 1200Mhz, it is quite stable. For 1300Mhz, I have experienced 1 program FC. Apart from that, I am using 216-1300Mhz for daily use and it is quite stable. Tested with asphalt6 and dungeon hunter 2 for over an hour, no FC occurs. Also, the battery doesn't feel hot (it is the advantage of tegra2 CPU :cool:)

Q: How can I revert back to the stock kernel?
    A: If you have flashed CWM, and you have backup before you flash this kernel, you can choose (advance restore) to restore only the boot.img. Alternative method is to download the rooted stock kernel here (flash through Odin3 PDA): http://www.mediafire.com/?guhb64qy3h6sang

*** I will keep updating this kernel to make it better and better ***

*** Finally, flash at your own risk ***

=====================================================================

From the Samsung Open Source web site, I have downloaded the kernel source for i9103 and made modifications to it. It is good that this phone is equipped with Tegra2 CPU such that overclocking will not cause much heat problem and I can successfully overclocked to 1.3GHz

Below are some screen shots and I will release the kernel later today as I am still testing the new kernel.

For the first version, I will add in rooting (su+superuser.apk), SIO Scheduler, 2.6.36.4 patches and some minor kernel fixes. Stay tuned :D

(Quadrant score is: 4275)

Odin3 (Flash thru PDA):
    ODIN3_Capture02A.jpg

Machine setting
    SC20111115-105309.jpg

Score in Antutu benchmark:
    SC20111115-012420.jpg

Faster than Galaxy S2 :)
    SC20111115-081541.jpg

Quadrant score:
    SC20111116-155928-1.jpg

Recommended SetCPU settings:
    SC20111116-231512.jpg

SC20111116-231435.jpg

SC20111116-231443.jpg

SC20111116-232010.jpg
    Great news, glad to see that there is some dev for I9103!

Do you have in mind ICS cooking?

And this mod kernel is for what version? 2.3.4? 2.3.5 or 2.3.6?

Well, for ICS, I have downloaded the source code (haven't compiled yet...). I think porting to ICS ROM will not be too easy ... as I lack all those hardware libraries and experiences. Let's wait ICS for Galaxy S2 and see how far we can reach...

This kernel is proved to work in 2.3.4 and 2.3.5. Should also be ok for 2.3.6 :cool:
    For the newest ZSKK5 ROM, it needs the newest kernel for the auto-rotate to be functioning.

So, apart from the newest stock kernel, other kernel will fail in the auto-rotate part. I am asking Samsung for the most updated source codes and hope they could update it asap.

After getting the newest source, I could then re-compile a kernel that could fix the auto-rotate issue.
    Hi every one I build the same package with pn544 nfc enabled removed need some one to check it out i will install it too but it may be some other hardware requited to test it (SGS II battery with NFC) check this thread for more info http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20646066

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Im sorry but with nfc option enabled it hangs at boot time so please do not use it