SanDisk 64GB Micro SDXC cards working on Motorola Xoom and multiple Android devices!

Are you currently using the 64gb SDXC microSD card in your device?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Mjamocha

Jul 2, 2010
Should the file system be exFAT?

Should be FAT32
otherwise with exFAT you're just going to end up with a corrupt sdcard. U should not be trying format it on the pc anyway.
When u did chkdsk make sure you choose repair boot also, then format the card in a smart phone. I think your card is legit and not a fake, it somehow got corrupt, but is fix'able. This happend to me after a bad ROM FLASH, but was easily repaired with repair boot from chkdsk cmd.

Last edited:

bigdave240

Nov 6, 2007
My understanding is the Xoom only supports a max of 32GB

Sent from my LTE Xoom EOS 4 JB 4.2.2 using Tapatalk HD
Thats the spec but as long as its formatted as fat32 it will work. Lots of people have used them. Seems like the only way to format them for fat32 though is in an android phone. Might work in a pc but it seems to be problematic if you do a search on it.

Mjamocha

Jul 2, 2010
My understanding is the Xoom only supports a max of 32GB

Not true, check my sig. Been using 64g card since that card was first released.
When xoom was first released, anything larger than a 32g microSd card did not exist for retail, until now.
That was the main reason for starting this thread letting others know that there are options.

Last edited:

leever6000

Oct 5, 2012
Valencia, CA
Not true, check my sig. Been using 64g card since that card was first released.
When xoom was first released, anything larger than a 32g microSd card did not exist, until now.
That was the main reason for starting this thread letting others know that there are options.

Again thanks, I am looking into getting a 64gb card now.

elkedra

Feb 26, 2012
hiding in the desert
Hi, am looking to buy one of these cards now they are cheaper.
Is any version of Android ok to format these cards? I have a Huawei phone running Android 2.3.7 and I'm wondering if this is a late enough version of Android to use to format 64gb sdcard.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Mjamocha

Jul 2, 2010
Hi, am looking to buy one of these cards now they are cheaper.
Is any version of Android ok to format these cards? I have a Huawei phone running Android 2.3.7 and I'm wondering if this is a late enough version of Android to use to format 64mb sdcard.
Thanks.

As long as the device is a "smart phone" it should be fine.

Reactions: elkedra

NookieMonster

Feb 17, 2011
Should be FAT32
otherwise with exFAT you're just going to end up with a corrupt sdcard. U should not be trying format it on the pc anyway.
When u did chkdsk make sure you choose repair boot also, then format the card in a smart phone. I think your card is legit and not a fake, it somehow got corrupt, but is fix'able. This happend to me after a bad ROM FLASH, but was easily repaired with repair boot from chkdsk cmd.

Thanks for the info.

Unrooted Xoom WiFi running Android 4.1.2. I did as you laid out: PC chkdsk (found and repaired boot corruption), formatted in my Galaxy S3 (unrooted running Android 4.3, verified amount of free space shown available), turned off Xoom and entered card, booted Xoom. Storage says to Mount SD Card, meaning it knows something is in the slot, but card will not mount. Have gotten smaller cards to work in Xoom.

Does anyone know what else I might try?

Kingsman1

Dec 27, 2013
Salt Lake City
The 64 Gig SDXC card works fine for me

I don't use a smart phone, but formatted the card on my Yamaha music keyboard using a USB adapter. I've been using it for art least two months now. Works perfectly.

kenewald

May 18, 2014
Mesa, AZ
What worked and what did NOT work

What worked for me
1. Prepare the SD card on HTC EVO 4g LTE (thanks to the person that posted this!)
2. SDCARDXD ($1.24) will independently perform file operations on the SD card, otherwise you'll need to connect to a PC via USB
3. Formatting the SD card with exFAT or NTFS, but I think it's irrelevant
4. Using a USB adapter on a PC to access the 64gb SD

What did NOT work for me
1. Preparing the SD card with a Samsung S3
2. Preparing the SD card with a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 3
3. Formatting the SD card with FAT
4. Writing (copying, deleting, etc.) to the SD card using the Xoom OS (without SDCARDXD)
5. WiFi Transfer Pro (preferred method to push files out to my devices) will not write to the SD card on a Xoom
6. 64gb SD in the SD adapter did not work in my SD slot on my PC

Best of luck!
-Ken

olddeadmeat

Jun 12, 2014
This worked for me

It's a windows utility that will format any size with FAT32.

I'm a new user so I can't post the full link, but just put it together.

techrepublic.com /blog/windows-and-office/format-fat32-drives-beyond-32gb-limit

Once I used it to format my Sandisk 64Gig microsd, the Xoom tablet recognized it.

Will update if there are any problems with it.

FixitMadison

Jan 30, 2020
Wisconsin
SanDisk Extreme 64GB Works!

I know I'm late to this Forum, but I just added a SanDisk 64GB MicroSD card to my Motorola Verizon Xoom tablet.

Process I followed:

Purchased a SanDisk Extreme 64GB MicroSD

Model : SDSQXA2-064G-GN6MA

64GB MicroSD A2 - $14.99 was the cost

1. Formatted Card first with Windows using NTFS
2. Downloaded the FAT32 formatter from ridgecrop . demon . co . uk or search for FAT32 Formatter program. The file when you download it, is called guiformat.exe
3. Ran FAT32 Format with Admin rights
4. Made sure the correct Drive letter was selected
5. Made Sure Quick Format was selected

After format was completed, I closed out of FAT32 Format

6. Copied a few "test" .mpg files
7. Installed 64GB card in my Xoom Verizon Tablet. (Tablet has to be off before you install or remove a card)
8. Works!

59.45GB space is what my Xoom sees the MicroSD card having.

I did not have a previous smart phone with a memory card slot to try the process mentioned previously so I wanted to try using Windows. I copied over 20GB of .mpg files to the new SandDisk and my Xoom tablet ran just fine with it. I was super excited to read about Xoom allowing 64GB cards but I did not try this process until now.
I know this tablet is considered old but I still use it for when I am at lunch at work so I can work my movies or shows. With the extra room I have now, I can add more shows.

Hope this works for other Windows users.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know for sure that it works in the Motorola Xoom - As long as you are running HC 3.2 or later.

Let us know if you are currently using it!

I am running a modded ICS ROM using the SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSDXC I 64gb. It's made for smartphones and superphones. SDXC is backwards compatible. Transfer speeds up to 30 MB/sec. Make sure you format it in your smart-phone first, then place it in you Xoom SDcard slot (with the Xoom off), reboot you will see it under storage. A good investment if you store a lot of Backups, pics, vids, etc...
    Make sure it is the one in the pic below, I say this because I'm using it and know that it works.
    Works on Rooted and Non Rooted Motorola Xoom Tablets.

http://androidcommunity.com/sandisk...working-on-multiple-android-devices-20110927/

bQ3jMzFnJT9WKDAP0PWKA5YoCU4esrsgZ7opBFh1JZmHJ-oH_UKfn2IVxwEPIH5LdDyd1DXGYSlpvvkHt_LMKJnvJdmMIzi0AtGaIDEBqf9d0-BUOmqwH6nNcGu7Yt1VPUQ55h1dBOHS8wX90b7joUwypM6vvLqcHtKL8g_qN8BvxC0jzw
    clip_image001_thumb16.jpg
    image_thumb49.png

As always, if this was helpful - Give Thanks!
    Where did you buy from?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Amazon.

Where did you buy from?

I purchased mine on Amazon -
    About Sandisk 64 GB Micro SDXC

Thanks. It really helped me because it worked. I first formatted the card on a HTC Evo 4G and then it mounted without problem on my Motorola Xoom.
    Thanks. It really helped me because it worked. I first formatted the card on a HTC Evo 4G and then it mounted without problem on my Motorola Xoom.

You are welcome.:highfive: