[APP][2013.11.04] RegionLock Away v1.3 [ROOT]

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Sammy, in their never-ending quest to make sure they've pissed off every single one of their customers at least once, have decided to region lock their latest model devices. This means for example that you cannot use a European device with an American, Middle Eastern, Asian, ... , SIM card. You'd still be able to use the European SIM all over the world, but you would not be able to use a local SIM card while travelling outside of Europe - which would of course be much cheaper.

Sammy claims you can use any SIM card in the world after you've 'activated' with a SIM card from the region the device is from (in our example, Europe), but this has been proven by various (angry) Note 3 owners to not actually be the case.

The region lock is implemented in the form of a network blacklist. Beware that this is not exactly the same thing as a SIM lock, even though they are somewhat related. This blacklist blocks a number of whole countries and carriers, while a SIM lock whitelists one specific carrier. This app clears the network blacklist (region lock), but it may or may not remove the SIM lock, if present. Some have reported it works for them (for example: T-Mobile US Note3 on AT&T network: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2471742), but this should be considered a side-effect.

While removing the region lock does not necessarily affect the SIM lock, various users have reported that inputting a proper SIM unlock code does remove the region lock as well. You can purchase SIM unlock codes at various places on the internet for 20 bucks or so. A benefit of using such a code is that you do not need to root your device or use this app. If you are not rooting your device already for other reasons, I would personally not root it to just region unlock, and buy an unlock code instead.

Compatible devices
- Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 (MI7, MJ1, MJ3 firmwares)

Future
Right now, this has only been tested on Note 3's, and found working. Rumor has it Sammy will be bringing the region lock to a lot of devices, even backporting it to devices sold in the past (aren't there laws against this?). There's no way for me to know at this time if this specific method will keep working on the Note 3, or if it will work at all on other devices. Maybe the app will need updating, maybe Sammy will block this hack altogether, etc. Only time will tell.

In theory this hack can be done without rooting or voiding warranty with some device flashing and app modding, but I'm not currently working on that because it would be highly model-specific and I'm a root user anyway.

Relapse
It is not currently known exactly when the network blacklist is updated. Beware that for example updating your firmware may cause the region lock to reactivate.

Google Play
Support my efforts (or buy me a beer) and get this app from Google Play (or download it for free from the next post)

Crappy video

Last edited:

Sammath

Dec 24, 2008
Nijmegen
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Even though I don't need it, there is really no limit to what you can achieve chainfire. Thanks for your contributions to the community!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: mlongue1

Mikegrmn

Aug 24, 2013
I currently have no need to do away with the region lock but I was feeling treated unfair as a buyer of an unlocked phone. So I'm glad someone came up with this. I followed some threads on these forums and so I had good faith that this will happen. Once I've rooted my phone I'll buy you a beer. Cheers.

Reactions: mlongue1

claudioita

Sep 6, 2003
rome
I bought specifically the Note 3 to use it in Europe (with european sim) and south america (with south american sim, otherwise I go bankrupt with roaming charges).

I will test it. No need for root right?

I prefer to use the phone for a couple of weeks (to make sure no need for warranty) and then root it. MAybe by theat time the crap KNOX is solved

dingolino

Jan 2, 2008
I bought specifically the Note 3 to use it in Europe (with european sim) and south america (with south american sim, otherwise I go bankrupt with roaming charges).

I will test it. No need for root right?

I prefer to use the phone for a couple of weeks (to make sure no need for warranty) and then root it. MAybe by theat time the crap KNOX is solved

You need a rooted device as far as I understood chainfires posts

Best regards
dingolino

Sent from Galaxy Note with Tapatalk

mermaidkiller

Jul 25, 2011
Well done so quick after Sammy blocked foreign SIM cards.

Maybe I need it on my Note 2 when the KitKat will roll out for that device.

tigerkaiwoods

Jul 7, 2009
Munich
www.samdownloads.de
Yeppa
THX Chainfire.
And WTF Samsung: Dont do this **** again. This is ridiculous. There is no need for it. You want the same structure like Apple?
baeh1.gif

Big Thx to our Genius on earth CF

dingolino

Jan 2, 2008
"In theory this hack can be done without rooting"

Yes, this is what chainfire was saying, but than he said that most likely he will not dig into it because it would be a lot of device specific work and he is a "root guy" anyway.

So here and now and today my understanding is that his app 1.0 needs a rooted device. And this was your question?

Best regards,

dingolino

claudioita

Sep 6, 2003
rome
Yes, this is what chainfire was saying, but than he said that most likely he will not dig into it because it would be a lot of device specific work and he is a "root guy" anyway.

So here and now and today my understanding is that his app 1.0 needs a rooted device. And this was your question?

Best regards,

dingolino

my questions are:

- does this program work on a unrooted device
- what happens if I install and run this program on an unrooted device (beside working or not, may it cause damages and/or void warranty?)

kamso

Aug 12, 2012
I want to know the same thing but unfortunately I think yes this app needs a rooted device. In the video you can see superuser request launching the app.

Envoyé depuis mon HTC One avec Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sammy, in their never-ending quest to make sure they've pissed off every single one of their customers at least once, have decided to region lock their latest model devices. This means for example that you cannot use a European device with an American, Middle Eastern, Asian, ... , SIM card. You'd still be able to use the European SIM all over the world, but you would not be able to use a local SIM card while travelling outside of Europe - which would of course be much cheaper.

Sammy claims you can use any SIM card in the world after you've 'activated' with a SIM card from the region the device is from (in our example, Europe), but this has been proven by various (angry) Note 3 owners to not actually be the case.

The region lock is implemented in the form of a network blacklist. Beware that this is not exactly the same thing as a SIM lock, even though they are somewhat related. This blacklist blocks a number of whole countries and carriers, while a SIM lock whitelists one specific carrier. This app clears the network blacklist (region lock), but it may or may not remove the SIM lock, if present. Some have reported it works for them (for example: T-Mobile US Note3 on AT&T network: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2471742), but this should be considered a side-effect.

While removing the region lock does not necessarily affect the SIM lock, various users have reported that inputting a proper SIM unlock code does remove the region lock as well. You can purchase SIM unlock codes at various places on the internet for 20 bucks or so. A benefit of using such a code is that you do not need to root your device or use this app. If you are not rooting your device already for other reasons, I would personally not root it to just region unlock, and buy an unlock code instead.

Compatible devices
    - Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 (MI7, MJ1, MJ3 firmwares)

Future
    Right now, this has only been tested on Note 3's, and found working. Rumor has it Sammy will be bringing the region lock to a lot of devices, even backporting it to devices sold in the past (aren't there laws against this?). There's no way for me to know at this time if this specific method will keep working on the Note 3, or if it will work at all on other devices. Maybe the app will need updating, maybe Sammy will block this hack altogether, etc. Only time will tell.

In theory this hack can be done without rooting or voiding warranty with some device flashing and app modding, but I'm not currently working on that because it would be highly model-specific and I'm a root user anyway.

Relapse
    It is not currently known exactly when the network blacklist is updated. Beware that for example updating your firmware may cause the region lock to reactivate.

Google Play
    Support my efforts (or buy me a beer) and get this app from Google Play (or download it for free from the next post)

Crappy video

Download

This download is identical to the Google Play version, the only difference is you're not buying me a beer :)

(v1.0: 9070; v1.2: 135)
    Changelogs

2013.11.04 - v1.3
    - Added option to relock using backed up files

2013.11.03 - v1.2
    - Support for multiCSC ROMs - if it didn't work before, try again now!

2013.10.05 - v1.0
    - Initial release
    Unexpected result from updating modem

(Note3 only) In this case, the app cannot determine if the fix worked or not. I might be able to fix this, but I need you to do the following:

- Reboot
    - Run RegionLock Away
    - Region Unlock
    - Pull complete logcat and attach to your reply ("adb logcat -d > logcat.txt")

TMOUS SIM unlock

It's great that this worked for some people, but the AT&T networks were never in the blacklist. I'm not sure how or why the SIM lock got deactivated on blacklist update, but I would certainly not *depend* on this working. Of course, the modem is a black box, but this should be considered an unintended side-effect (with positive outcome)
    Great work this is going to be very useful for many, Samsung should have never put the lock on the first place. We buy an unlocked device only to find it regional locked, shame on them. Do you think it will be permanent or Samsung could patch it?