[ROM] CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly Builds for Nook Color

Search This thread
Hi guys I am back. Are there going to be any android 4.4 kitkat ports for the nook color? Maybe in the nightlies? I saw an unofficial port of android 4.3 in here. The other tablets have Cyanogenmod 4.4 kitkat.

Still fooling around with the OC kernel a bit from CM 7.2. Learning how to rewrite init.d scrips and the headers at the moment that it will need to work on the 3.x kernel. Learning about strings too in the init.d box. If anyone is interested , here is the OC kernel on the git. Learning how the init.d box is the first process picked up for a kernel to boot. https://github.com/meteorrock/Nook_Color_Kernel_Overclock

There could be some init templates around for it, IDK, I will check and see first.

Someday I would like to publish my first kernel, I would like to publish it here for the nook color. I wish <steven676> could pipe that overclock in for us in the kernel mainline, but he was told not to. I feel 1200 mhz could be achievable for this device. (hint hint) Its taking me awhile to figure it out, it is like rocket science lol.

Learning on how to debug running kernels right now too. If I find any errors or segment faults with the 3.x kernel we have on this device, I will let you know. The kernels look tight so far, but I have not fooled around much with them, been busy. Hope you guys are still debugging and looking for exploits, it will help all devices running CM.

Have not looked up in the java application stack for bugs, hope you guys are still looking into it.

My nook color is doing good and still boots up great with the CM 11 nightlies with android 4.2. Hi <leaplinar> :)

EDIT: PORT IT PORT IT TO THE NC. WE ARE HACKING NOW GUYS. HIT ME WITH THE ANDROID 4.4. WE are going to fight this together. I KNOW YOU ARE TIRED and the journey is difficult. WE are becoming as powerful as the top nix wizards of old. You are as powerful as Linus Torvalds. HE is here fighting for us along side you. I have faith in you guys. I can see the code flying now. You can do it too <steven676>. I came back because I care. He is lurking now. Check the /var/logs/ We are going KANG.

Cyanogen just checked in.

YOU check those ****ing /var/logs/

I am taking you KANG

Love you guys. <33. Don't let others hold your talent back. Don't sell out. You guys hide your talents. We NC users need love too.

Last edited:
Reactions: pckoloji

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Onwards to CM11!

As of today, official CyanogenMod 10.2 nightlies are no longer being built for the Nook Color -- they're being replaced by CM11 nightlies (the first one should be coming early tomorrow morning UTC-8 time, depending on when the autobuilders get around to it). (The CM autobuilders switched to running CM10.2 edge builds on a weekly basis slightly more than a week ago, so the 20140119 build is the final official CM10.2 nightly for encore.) CM10.2 nightlies will expire from the official site as new CM11 nightlies are built, but they'll continue to be available at http://techerrata.com/browse/cm/encore/nightly (thanks eyeballer!).

ibilln

Jan 17, 2012
San Francisco
As of today, official CyanogenMod 10.2 nightlies are no longer being built for the Nook Color -- they're being replaced by CM11 nightlies (the first one should be coming early tomorrow morning UTC-8 time, depending on when the autobuilders get around to it). (The CM autobuilders switched to running CM10.2 edge builds on a weekly basis slightly more than a week ago, so the 20140119 build is the final official CM10.2 nightly for encore.) CM10.2 nightlies will expire from the official site as new CM11 nightlies are built, but they'll continue to be available at http://techerrata.com/browse/cm/encore/nightly (thanks eyeballer!).

It's now officially not "early tomorrow". :)

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
It's now officially not "early tomorrow". :)

All of last night's CM11 nightly builds failed due to a patch which broke the build. Builds are actually succeeding tonight, so with luck there should be something to play with tomorrow.

So is this 20140119 build considered to be more stable than CM10.1.3.2?

I couldn't say for sure -- I haven't personally tested that nightly. That said, I'd expect it to be as stable as CM10.1.3.x at best (and possibly a little worse if you're unlucky).

FordPrefect

Will there be a new "[ROM] CyanogenMod 11 Nightly Builds for Nook Color" thread eventually? As far as I know, there is only a "[DEV]" thread currently. Get me right, that is completely fine, but I guess the DEV thread shouldn't be spoiled by the curious and adventourous users out there giving their feedback ... like me ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ROM] CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly Builds for Nook Color

The NookieDevs are pleased to announce CyanogenMod 10.2 nightly builds for the Nook Color!

These experimental builds contain the latest changes to CyanogenMod and to hardware support for the Nook Color. As the name suggests, new builds are made and posted (roughly) every day; these builds are fully automatic, with no testing done before posting. As CyanogenMod 10.2 is still under active development, regressions and general breakage are to be expected in nightly builds!

Highlights: (mostly not news if you've been keeping up with CM10/10.1 nightlies)
    • Linux kernel 3.0.8, plus hardware support from TI OmapZoom's android-omap3-3.0 branch and board support forward-ported from BN kernel releases.
    • All of the features of CyanogenMod 10.2, based on Android 4.3.
    • Full 2D and 3D graphics acceleration using the GPU, with improved performance over previous releases.

Known issues:
    • Current releases of Netflix do not work with CM10.2 -- version 1.8.1 is the last version known to work. If you want/need a newer release of Netflix, look into the Xposed mod, which provides a workaround for Netflix -- pastordl has done a nice writeup of the process here.

Download:
    http://get.cm/?device=encore&type=nightly

Source code:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.2 (device-specific source)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_bn_encore (kernel)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android/tree/cm-10.2 (manifest for the rest of the CyanogenMod source)
    Build instructions (discussion of build issues belongs in the development thread)

This release is the product of much effort by many people over a considerable period: many thanks to fattire, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor, dhiru1602 and many more. Thanks are also due to the CyanogenMod project, upon which we are building, and Texas Instruments, which provides excellent support for its embedded platforms to the open-source hacking community. (TI's exit from the consumer electronics SOC market is a loss for all of us.)

XDA:DevDB Information
    CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly Builds, a ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Contributors
    steven676, keyodi, fattire, The CyanogenMod Project, NookieDevs, many others (see post)
    ROM OS Version: 4.3.x Jellybean
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2013-09-07
    Last Updated 2013-09-07
    Another new test kernel (3.0.101)

Here's another new kernel for everyone to test out. This one, like the last one, contains a large number of changes -- feedback is appreciated, particularly if you use zRAM on your device.

Changes since the last test kernel:
    • Updated to upstream (kernel.org) stable kernel 3.0.101, bringing in a huge number of bugfixes to core kernel code. (Upstream support for the 3.0-stable series terminates with the release of 3.0.101, so we're on our own from here on out.)
    • Reverted back to a 1.1 GHz max overclock due to the reported instability at 1.2 GHz. We'll have to look into ways of offering both of the overclocking steps (and why 1.2 GHz is less reliable on the newer kernels).
    • Reverted the refresh rate change and removed the hwcomposer module from the package -- the hwcomposer/dsscomp rendering paths don't seem to be stable for us just yet. We'll want to try this again at some point in the future.
    • Backported a huge number of bug fixes and performance improvements for the zRAM code from kernel.org kernels.
    • Backported the extra_free_kbytes feature from the Android kernel/common android-3.4 branch. (This won't actually do anything unless you run CM11/Android 4.4 or set the value yourself, but I'd like to get some testing for the changes to core code the patch introduces anyway.)

My aim is to push this to the NookieDevs and CyanogenMod repositories for inclusion in future nightlies next weekend, if testing doesn't uncover anything else.

For this kernel, I'm particularly interested in your experiences if you use zRAM -- does this kernel improve stability and/or multitasking performance?

Note that if you're coming from the previous test kernel, you should either reflash your base ROM, or do the following after flashing this update:

Source: kernel, wl12xx wifi modules.
    September 7 nightly is broken, do not flash

Quick heads-up: do not flash the September 7 nightly -- it's broken and will not boot. (Proprietary blobs were omitted from the build for some reason.)
    New test kernel (and hwcomposer!)

Here's a new kernel for everyone to test out. This one contains the biggest changes we've seen in quite a while, and as such, may not be as stable as some of the previous test kernels I've posted -- please let me know how it goes.

Changes:

• Updated to upstream (kernel.org) stable kernel 3.0.88, bringing in a huge number of bug fixes to core kernel code.
    • Synchronized with Android kernel/common up to the same point as the Galaxy Nexus AOSP 4.3 kernels, bringing in bug fixes to Android-related code.
    • Raised the maximum overclock to 1.2 GHz. A patch by loSconosciuto (correctly implementing an idea I tried and abandoned a while ago) is applied to disable the use of SmartReflex at that OPP, which should hopefully reduce the stability problems some people were experiencing at 1.2 GHz.
    • Reduced the screen refresh rate to 54 Hz. This allows us to use a lower pixel clock of 43.2 MHz, which allows us to set CONFIG_OMAP2_DSS_MIN_FCK_PER_PCK=4, which allows the DSS subsystem to downscale 720p video to fit our display. Why do we need this? Because ...
    • Included the (userspace) OMAP3 hwcomposer module, allowing full hardware-accelerated overlay scaling and rendering without touching the GPU (reducing memory bandwidth used and increasing performance). Many thanks to dhiru1602 and keyodi, who have been laying the groundwork to allow us to use the hwcomposer.

Known issues:
    • The DSS scaler's output image quality seems to leave something to be desired -- this is most obvious when viewing 720p video.
    • Occasionally, the PVR drivers will decide to throw a tantrum (very visible in dmesg), causing the system to pause for seconds at a time. It's unknown why this occurs, and the only cure is a reboot.

I'm most interested in feedback on performance and on stability of the system with hwcomposer. I'd also like to hear from you if the 1.2 GHz overclock causes crashes with this kernel AND those crashes didn't appear with CM7 (or other 2.6.32-based ROM) at 1.2 GHz. For clarity: I am not interested in reports that overclocking to 1.2 GHz causes you problems UNLESS those problems didn't appear when running at 1.2 GHz with an earlier kernel.

Source code: kernel, hwcomposer, wl12xx wifi modules.
    I've landed a change to reduce memory usage in the Dalvik heap, which should hopefully reduce memory consumption systemwide. The behavior which this knob enables has been in use on other 512MB devices for a while now, reportedly with good results. This change should be part of nightlies starting September 8; please test and report your experience, particularly if you have any issues (crashes, performance regressions, or the like).