SmartProtect Anti-Theft Software with SMS Auto-Responder and MortScript support

Search This thread

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
I am using the 28 Dec 08 version.

I will do it again and post the error message picture.

Both "StartUp" and "Program" gives the same error message but SMS was still sent.

Wait...

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
Patent Violation

Hi,

I've received a private message from someone stating that they have the patent for this kind of software. Is this true ? I almost believed it except that I received a similar email from another company claiming they have the patent. Can two companies hold the same patent ?

For anyone who hold the patent for similar functionality, kindly post your patent number on this thread and let me know what has been violated from your patent. If it's proven then I'll close the this thread and remove the software.

My point is, I'm fair to anyone and If I really violated anyone's patent, I will remove the software. But I also think those who claim they hold the patent must prove that they indeed hold the patent. There are a lot of similar software with similar functionality targeted at similar platform.

So if anyone's patent has been violated, please kindly post your patent number and which patent has been violated. And give me a link to verify that you indeed hold the patent. Then I will remove the software. Posting in this thread will also make everyone aware of your patent. But for now, to be fair to everyone, I will continue posting updates on the software until I receive a post regarding this. Hope everyone understand this. Thanks!

Last edited:

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
I am using the 28 Dec 08 version.

I will do it again and post the error message picture.

Both "StartUp" and "Program" gives the same error message but SMS was still sent.

Wait...

Hi,

Kindly check your private message. I've sent the instruction there. Thanks!!

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
Yes the App behaviour like what you say.

See also my pm reply of what I did to be in line with what you said.

Thks.

There are a few similar apps out there doing the same and non freeware. They must be violating each others patent, right?

Is it a world wide patent or just a local patent?

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
Yes the App behaviour like what you say.

See also my pm reply of what I did to be in line with what you said.

Thks.

There are a few similar apps out there doing the same and non freeware. They must be violating each others patent, right?

Is it a world wide patent or just a local patent?

Thanks. I saw your reply.

I'm not too sure about the patent if its worldwide or local. Not even sure if there's one. So far, I tried searching I couldn't find. I guess need them to post their patent here, because this kind of solution has been around since 2004 (the earliest I found was someone did for Symbian on 2004). Even Samsung has this built in on one of their phones as a feature and its well publicized. Then in this case, Samsung would be liable as well. See :

http://www.textually.org/textually/archives/2006/06/012735.htm

http://www.yougetitback.com/blog/index.php/2008/02/22/armani-samsung-phone-anti-theft-and-panic-apps/

Last edited:

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
Maybe I have found new problem.

When I try to register the second SIM and tried to save without any option select, the extire app crashed.

Re-run the app, the second SIM not registered.

Registrer the second SIM again, with Option selected, save is ok.

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
Maybe I have found new problem.

When I try to register the second SIM and tried to save without any option select, the extire app crashed.

Re-run the app, the second SIM not registered.

Registrer the second SIM again, with Option selected, save is ok.

Hi. Thanks.. that indeed looks like a problem. Anyway let me know which option was selected that worked and if this option was not selected also that made it crash, so I can go zoom into the problem. I will do a test on my part as well.

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
I have not tested the other options as you have not answer some of my above questions on "Phone Usable" and "Delete Contact". I also do not have GPS on Flame. I will test on Trinity later.

So the only option I played with is "Security".

By the way, as I have registered the second SIM, I tried with third SIM. And this third SIM has a situation of SIM SMS Full, there is a message reflected plus the Error message mentioned before.

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
Hi. Thanks.. that indeed looks like a problem. Anyway let me know which option was selected that worked and if this option was not selected also that made it crash, so I can go zoom into the problem. I will do a test on my part as well.

Hi,

I'm going out now. Anyway just to let you know, I tried registering 2 SIM Cards and it was successful. I tried couple of ways and it didn't crash. Though I only tried in my emulator but it should give me the same result. I used windows 5 and windows 6 OS and both worked ok.

I haven't tried the SIM Card full yet. You can send me a screen by screen if you can to help me fix it. I'll also see what I can do to pre-empt that. Anyway, whenever an error comes in, click on details and send me the exact error message. From there, I'll be able to trace out.

Thanks!!

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
I am testing on Flame (without GPS) WM6.1 (not WM6.0) with .NetCf2.0.7045.00 and .NetCf3.5.7121.00.

I am now going to test on Trinity (with GPS) WM5.

Last edited:

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
Not working at all on Trinity,
1. WM5
2. .NetCf2.0.5238.00
3. Gives the below error message

I think it must certain version .NetCf2.0.

Attachments

• Screen001.png
    Screen001.png
    9 KB · Views: 115
  • Screen002.png
    Screen002.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Screen003.png
    Screen003.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
@mayo98

Ok, I know how to repeat the 2 SIM Problem,
1. Flame, WM6.1, .NetCf3.5.7121.00 (default) and .NetCf2.0.7045.00.
2. Start from fresh with no SIM registered.
3. Register first SIM, Security On, Save and Exit.
4. Security Off, Save and Exit
5. Register second SIM, Security On, Save and Exit.
6. You should see the crash as the attached pictures.
7. Repeat 4 and you are ok again.

Attachments

• Screen001.png
    Screen001.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen002.png
    Screen002.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen003.png
    Screen003.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen004.png
    Screen004.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen005.png
    Screen005.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen006.png
    Screen006.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen007.png
    Screen007.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 31

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
@mayo98

I tried but mine is ok. I tried on emulater and my samsung i780. This seems to be a stupid question but , Is the dll file on your Program Files\smartprotect ? (By right it should be there as its able to decrypt the password)

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
Not working at all on Trinity,
1. WM5
2. .NetCf2.0.5238.00
3. Gives the below error message

I think it must certain version .NetCf2.0.

I have a method which checks if your SIM Is locked. If it is, it will exit instead of continuing.

I've fixed that issue that it is to be ignored if the method is not supported.

I'll upload the latest app.

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
@mayo98

Hi,

I change the way key is generated. It has to do with the generation of key (reading from the log). I'll post the changes so you can test it.

Thanks!!

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
The files and directories as I have explained in the PM.

Two more things,

1. I think normal bootup is significantly slow down due to running it from "Startup". Is there a way to speedup?

2. I think the App did not cover the use case of if the GSM/3G is off when bootup.

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
The files and directories as I have explained in the PM.

Two more things,

1. I think normal bootup is significantly slow down due to running it from "Startup". Is there a way to speedup?

2. I think the App did not cover the use case of if the GSM/3G is off when bootup.

Thanks. I'll take a look on point 1.

For point 2, the application will be in the memory until the GSM Radio gets connected to the network. Then it will continue to authenticate.

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
Version 1.0.0.4 released.

I've update the file to version 1.0.0.4 which includes fixes to bugs reported earlier. Kindly let me know if you have issues.

To update, please make sure to follow the procedure as stated on the beginning of this thread. THanks!!

hatchy

Nov 29, 2007
hello

I installed it on the artemis
everything works but when send an sms containing
::/getGPSlocation,pasword
i don't get an replay wth the location
am i doing something wrong?

greetz Hatchy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMPORTANT.. CHECK ON THE FIRST PAGE FOR UPDATES.

WARNING : This software has some pretty powerful features so use at your own risk. Importantly, please read the instructions below.

Hi guys.

This is my first software using .NETCF for Windows Mobile Phone. I know this software is peanuts compared to what is out there, but I wish this would be useful to all of you as well. This software helps you track and recover your phone once stolen or lost. Features includes :

1. A Thief or Lost Prevention Software with SMS Auto-Responder and GPS Capability created for Windows Mobile Devices.

2. When you forget your phone and can''t remember where you put it, you can SMS your phone to get the exact location via GPS information if your phone has GPS Capability or approximate location based on Cell Location.

3. You can SMS your phone for other information such as IMSI, IMEI or even remotely reboot your phone etc.

4. This software is also equipped with Thief Prevention system which will automatically SMS your partner phone number if the SIM has been changed against the registered SIM.

5. This software supports registration of Multiple SIM Cards and of Multiple Phone Conctacts as Partners.

6. When your phone has been stolen, it will automatically SMS relevant information such as IMEI, SIM Card Number or IMSI, GPS Location if supported or Cell Location.

7. It is able to also auto-delete Phone Memory Contacts if the phone has been stolen.

8. It is password protected and the password is encrypted with AES-Encryption.

9. Its un-install proof. It requires special procedure to uninstall the protection, so even if you uninstall it, it is still working.

10. It has MortScript support.

You need atleast .NETCF 2.0 for this app to work (which most Windows Mobile has so not to worry).

Note that Cell Location depends on your device. It should be working but the problem is not all devices interfaces with RIL functionality so it may or may not work.

For testing, kindly use Emulation Mode to determine if the application will work on your phone before using these features :

1. Make Phone Unusable
    2. Protected Folders
    3. Delete Contacts on SIM Change

Emulation mode will run the protection, however on test mode only and not real mode. Therefore, it will just produce a log file to tell you of the action it is supposed to make (however since its a test mode, it does not do that action). If everything is fine, make sure that after testing, to disable the emulation mode.

This was only tested on GSM-based phones. If you have Non-GSM Based phone, and you want to try it out, kindly do and let me know.

This software also can accept SMS Commands from the partner phone so that it can return informations as commanded by you explicitly. Here are the SMS Commands that you can send. Note though that the SMS is only accepted when :

1. The SMS came from a partner phone. (You need to register the phone as a partner phone first).

2. The password is correct. Password is based on the password that you have saved when you configure SmartProtect on your phone. The password is authenticated by the phone once the SMS Command is received.

3. When the SMS Command is correct.

The SMS commands syntax is :

::/[command],[password]

example :

::/getGPSLocation,mypassword

Available Commands are :

getIMEI - Retrieves the IMEI Number

lockMyPhone - makes your phone unusable

enableLockPhone - Enable the Lock Mechanism of your Phone. When your phone is stolen, your phone will become unusable.

rebootPhone - Reboots your phone.

deleteContacts -Deletes your mobile phone contacts. It does not delete the SIM Card Contacts.

unregisterPhone - Unregisters the sender as a partner phone.

disableSecurity - Disables the security mechanism of your phone. This requires restart to take effect.

enableSecurity - Enables the security mechanism of your phone.This requires restart to take effect.

getIMSI - Retrieves the IMSI Number.

alertContacts - alerts your contacts that your phone has been stolen.

getCellLocation - Gets the approximate location based on Cell Tower that your phone has registered to.

getGPSLocation - Retrieves the GPS Coordinates.

exitApp - When you use getGPSLocation command, this application stays in the memory. This command exits the application. However, this applications will still be activated if any of the command is received.

registerPhone - Registers your sender as partner phone number.

listCommands - List the commands available for the Software.

versionInfo - Retrieves the current version of the SmartProtect.

deleteProtectedFolders - Removes the protected folders.

disableEmulation - Disabled the emulation mode.

stopAlert- Stops the alertContacts action.

stopAlert- Stops the alertContacts action.

runPreScript- Runs the pre-action MortScript you've defined.

runPostSCript- Runs the post-action MortScript you've defined.

runAllScripts- Runs all the MortScripts you've defined.

To install the software, unzip the file and run the setup.exe. Make sure you connect your device to the computer for syncing.

Leave your comments if you have suggestions, concerns or reported bugs here[/url]

This has not been tested on Non-GSM based phone.

IMPORTANT :

Please follow the procedure below to update the software :

1. From the partner phone. SMS your phone with the command ::/exitApp,[password]. This is to make sure that the SMS module is not loaded in the memory or update may fail.

2. Uninstall the SmartProtect. (optional)

3. Install the latest SmartProtect. If you didnt uninstall smart protect, it will ask you if you want to uninstall the older SmartProtect. Just click.

4. Once installed, Run SmartProtect to verify that your settings is still there.

5. Once verified, click either exit or save.

6. You will be notified that there's a need to restart the phone. Proceed to restart.

7. To verify its installed, SMS your phone with ::/versionInfo,<password>. This should yield the latest version.

Thanks!!

REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS :

Please follow the procedure below to remove the software :

1. Uninstall SmartProtect 1.1 from your Mobile Phone.

2. From the partner phone. SMS your phone with the command ::/exitApp,[password]. This is to make sure that the SMS module is not loaded in the memory or update may fail.

3. Install SmartProtectRemove.CAB to your mobile phone.

3. Run the SmartProtectRemove

4. Enter the appropriate password you've configured for SmartProtect. Click on Remove SmartProtect.

5. Reboot/soft reset your phone.

6. To verify that it has been removed, SMS any commands to your phone. It should get thru now.

Thanks!!

THOSE WITH SMS MODULE OF SMARTPROTECT NOT WORKING

Kindly run SmartProtect on Emulation Mode and test by sending SMS commands. The emulation mode works for all commands except for disableemulation, versioninfo and listcommands. Then the resulting log, kindly send to me for debugging purposes. Note that in emulation mode, no SMS will be sent out and all actions are recorded on the log file

Version 1.1.5

Updates.

1. Added Reboot messages if required during exit.

2. Added About Message

3. Changed title to SmartProtect on the first screen.

4. Added OpenCellID Link on the SMS.

Version 1.1.6

Updates.

1. Fixed Deletion of Protected Folders. When in-use Deletion module quits the deletion process.

Version 1.1.7

Updates.

1. Performance enhancement.
    2. Fix a minor bug. When a number saved on the Partner Number is not on your address book, there's a tendency that the sms command may not get executed.

Version 1.1.8

Updates.

1. Fixed issue for users with non-english ROM where SMS command is not executed
    2. Added MortScript support. You can now run Mort Scripts for Pre-process (before the security is invoked when the phone is compromised) and Post-Process (After the security is invoked). Note that you need to ensure that your Pre-process script ends, as the security will only be invoked when it ends. MortScripts will run only when the phone is compromised.
    3. Support for AppToDate for automatic updates. (I have not tested because I can't download AppTodate. I will do a test later).
    4. Additional commands such as runPreScript, runPostScript, stopAlert
    5. Modified the way alertContacts command is executed.

Version 1.1.9

Minor Update

1. Added SMS Command to the Emulation Mode. In Emulation Mode, log will be produced whenever an SMS command is received and executed. Logs are stored on the Emulation Log.

Version 1.2

Minor Update

1. Fixed issue wherein those with partner number that starts with 0 (example 0917) is not recognized when an SMS is sent. (because the phone recognize it as +63917)

Version 1.2.2

Minor Update

1. Updated Resolution for Finger-Friendly Devices.
    2. Integrated the Remove functionality to SmartProtect Configuration
    3. Modified the Right-Menu. Instead of Save, it includes other settings normally found on tabs.
    4. Internal changes. Libraries were integrated to make it more re-usable to each components.

Version 1.2.3

Minor Update

1. Broken AppToDate file..

Version 1.2.4

Minor Update

1. Removed Debug Statements..

Note. You can use apptodate.cab to automate updates. AppToDate is provided and developed by Paul from Modaco. Thanks!!
    When a new SIM card is inserted in your phone is a SMS sent to the partner phone with the phone number of that SIM card?