Ed01 froyo "how to root" vzw fascinate ota update

Search This thread

sgtflick

Jan 6, 2008
(EDIT) Found this on FascinateForums.com ( Originally Posted by bhfd64 )and decided to share since I haven't found anything "as in depth". This is to go from OTA ED01 Update and reinstall ROOT and CWM 2.5.1x

I had an issue trying other ways of always returning to blue recovery, so thought this would help those with the same issue.

Downloads:
Download Samsung drivers from HERE.

Download Odin (computer program) from HERE.

Download ClockworkMod Recovery from HERE. (place this file somewhere on your computer where you can easily locate it).

Download "update.zip" file from HERE. (place this file on the root of your sdcard...not within any folders).

Download "su-2.3.6.1.x.zip" file from HERE. (place this file on the root of your sdcard...not within any folders).

Instructions:
1. Install Samsung drivers on your computer.

2. Open Odin on your computer. (You may need to disable antivirus programs for this to work properly)

3. Power off your phone and remove the battery.

4. Plug the stock USB cord which came with your phone into a powered USB port on your computer (usually on the back of the CPU).

5. Press and hold the "volume down" button on your phone, and continue to hold it while plugging the USB cord into your phone. This will put your phone into download mode. You'll see a large yellow triangle on the screen of your phone. You will also see one of the small boxes in Odin turn yellow, as well as "Added" appearing in the message box.

6. Press the PDA button in Odin (NOT the PHONE button) and navigate to the cwr-all.tar file you downloaded earlier.

7. Press START. When this process has finished, you'll be notified in Odin (succeeded 1/failed 0) and your phone screen will go blank.

8. Unplug your phone and re-insert battery.

9. Press and hold BOTH volume buttons and the power button simultaneously. Hold all three until you see "SAMSUNG" appear. This will boot your phone into recovery. If your text is red, then you're already in ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery and you can skip the rest of this step. If the recovery menu is blue, then you're in stock recovery. Use the volume rocker to navigate down to "apply sdcard:update.zip" and select using the "Home" softkey. This will take you to CWM Recovery (red text menu). If your phone does not boot into recovery here, just pull the battery or wait for it to boot up and then power it down and try this again. It may take a couple tries for you to get it right.

10. When you see the red text and "CwM Voodoo Lagfix Recovery 2.5.1x" at the top, use the volume rocker to navigate down to "Wipe data/factory reset." Press the power button to select, and then navigate to yes, and press the power button again to select. Do this 3 times.

11. Scroll down to "Wipe cache partition," use power button to select, and then highlight and select "Yes." Do this 3 times.

12. Scroll down to "advanced" and then select "Wipe dalvik cache." Scroll to "Yes," and use power button to select. Do this 3 times.

13. Press the "Menu" softkey to return to the previous menu in CWM Recovery.

14. Navigate down to "Install zip from sdcard." Highlight it and press the power button to select.

15. Navigate to "choose zip from sdcard" and select.

16. Navigate to the rooted "su-2.3.6.1.x.zip" file that you downloaded earlier, and select it. Scroll to "Yes," and use power button to select.

17. When you're advised of completion, press the "Menu" softkey to go back to the previous CWR screen, then highlight and select "reboot system now."

At this point your phone will reboot and you'll be rooted with fully bloated ED01 Froyo. Open up your app drawer. You should see an app called "SuperUser". If it's there, you're done! Now you can think about possibly moving on to a custom ROM and/or kernel.

Don't break your phone! It's not my prob if you do! Good Luck, This did work and I am going good!

Last edited:

sgtflick

Jan 6, 2008
Isn't this just the same su and busybox nemesis2all posted yesterday right here in the XDA development forum only with out the basic steps of installing ODIN and update.zip which isn't even needed with the latest CWM?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1045048
not taking anything away from nemesis2all, I have used many of his creations, this is just a little more in depth. I tried his way and kept getting blue recovery, found this and thought it would help those having the same issues.

suppliesidejesus

Apr 1, 2010
The reason that people are getting back to stock recovery after flashing CWM is because stock recovery re-asserts itself if a custom kernel is not flashed. Whenever you Odin back to stock and flash CWM afterwards, you should ALWAYS flash a custom kernel in CWM before booting to the OS, otherwise the change in recovery won't keep.

sgtflick

Jan 6, 2008
The reason that people are getting back to stock recovery after flashing CWM is because stock recovery re-asserts itself if a custom kernel is not flashed. Whenever you Odin back to stock and flash CWM afterwards, you should ALWAYS flash a custom kernel in CWM before booting to the OS, otherwise the change in recovery won't keep.

I am running a stock kernel and have root/red cwm now. Im just not on stock ROM, im using Evil Fascinate 3.3.2 ... I was able to do this through these instructions.

I tried SuperOneClick and it just didn't do it for me.

Sent from Evil Fascinate 3.3.1/Black Alien 2.2/ED01 Stock

Dirt_Mcgirt

Nov 11, 2010
ok so i am looking just to root 2.2 and leave it stock for now so i can use some root apps what kernal should i use and this method will work for that right

fortesquieu

May 22, 2010
I am running a stock kernel and have root/red cwm now. Im just not on stock ROM, im using Evil Fascinate 3.3.2 ... I was able to do this through these instructions.

I tried SuperOneClick and it just didn't do it for me.

Sent from Evil Fascinate 3.3.1/Black Alien 2.2/ED01 Stock

That's odd, I rooted my phone in less than 3 minutes using super one click.

sgtflick

Jan 6, 2008
ok so i am looking just to root 2.2 and leave it stock for now so i can use some root apps what kernal should i use and this method will work for that right

I can tell you that I rooted stock ED01 with this method, make sure you uncheck autoboot in ODIN and restart in recovery with 3button method to confirm red recovery stuck .... im on stock ED01 kernel, but you can use any of the (TW) EC01 kernels out there . im sticking with stock until they start working out some tweaks...that's just me though

Sent from Evil Fascinate 3.3.2/Black Alien 2.5/ED01 Stock

phonefiend

Oct 17, 2010

This is important information. Unfortunately none of the HOWTO threads on installing CWM mention this in the instructions and it took me hours to even become aware that this was what was happening to me. I haven't yet figured out how to remedy the problem but at least I know what it is now. Strangely I don't think I had any problem getting CWM to stick after flashing EB01 a while back.

drnihili

Sep 4, 2007
The original instructions on FF have been updated somewhat. Among other things the wiping steps seem to not be necessary for just getting root. Here's the link. About to try this but with CWM3.

fitti28

Feb 5, 2011
New Jersey
This is important information. Unfortunately none of the HOWTO threads on installing CWM mention this in the instructions and it took me hours to even become aware that this was what was happening to me. I haven't yet figured out how to remedy the problem but at least I know what it is now. Strangely I don't think I had any problem getting CWM to stick after flashing EB01 a while back.
This is from original thread by Adrynalyne.

Note: Keep in mind that once you Odin CWR to ED01, you MUST also flash a kernel, or rom containing a kernel to replace the stock one, or it will revert you.

landshark68

Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
I spent days working on this issue of reverting back to stock recovery. I can tell you SSJ is absolutely correct, it is all about the kernel. Anytime you flash a stock kernel, whether it be in an ODIN package or flashing a stock kernel or a ROM that includes a stock kernel in CWM, the stock kernel will revert you back to stock blue (2e) recovery. From my experience and speaking with others, this only happens on nonvoodoo because obviously there are no stock voodoo kernels, they are all custom. You can flash the current CWM and it will stick through flashing modems in ODIN, and themes, patches, and mods in CWM. But as soon as you flash a stock kernel, you have to reflash the current CWM. So follow SSJ's advice and immediately flash a custom kernel if you are running nonvoodoo. My apologies to the OP that this is off topic from the thread. Just wanted to share the info I learned from days of previous testing.

phonefiend

Oct 17, 2010
This is from original thread by Adrynalyne.

Note: Keep in mind that once you Odin CWR to ED01, you MUST also flash a kernel, or rom containing a kernel to replace the stock one, or it will revert you.

He seems to have added that in the ED01 thread in the last few hours but in most of the recent Clockwork threads they don't mention this which is surprising.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (EDIT) Found this on FascinateForums.com ( Originally Posted by bhfd64 )and decided to share since I haven't found anything "as in depth". This is to go from OTA ED01 Update and reinstall ROOT and CWM 2.5.1x

I had an issue trying other ways of always returning to blue recovery, so thought this would help those with the same issue.

Downloads:
    Download Samsung drivers from HERE.

Download Odin (computer program) from HERE.

Download ClockworkMod Recovery from HERE. (place this file somewhere on your computer where you can easily locate it).

Download "update.zip" file from HERE. (place this file on the root of your sdcard...not within any folders).

Download "su-2.3.6.1.x.zip" file from HERE. (place this file on the root of your sdcard...not within any folders).

Instructions:
    1. Install Samsung drivers on your computer.

2. Open Odin on your computer. (You may need to disable antivirus programs for this to work properly)

3. Power off your phone and remove the battery.

4. Plug the stock USB cord which came with your phone into a powered USB port on your computer (usually on the back of the CPU).

5. Press and hold the "volume down" button on your phone, and continue to hold it while plugging the USB cord into your phone. This will put your phone into download mode. You'll see a large yellow triangle on the screen of your phone. You will also see one of the small boxes in Odin turn yellow, as well as "Added" appearing in the message box.

6. Press the PDA button in Odin (NOT the PHONE button) and navigate to the cwr-all.tar file you downloaded earlier.

7. Press START. When this process has finished, you'll be notified in Odin (succeeded 1/failed 0) and your phone screen will go blank.

8. Unplug your phone and re-insert battery.

9. Press and hold BOTH volume buttons and the power button simultaneously. Hold all three until you see "SAMSUNG" appear. This will boot your phone into recovery. If your text is red, then you're already in ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery and you can skip the rest of this step. If the recovery menu is blue, then you're in stock recovery. Use the volume rocker to navigate down to "apply sdcard:update.zip" and select using the "Home" softkey. This will take you to CWM Recovery (red text menu). If your phone does not boot into recovery here, just pull the battery or wait for it to boot up and then power it down and try this again. It may take a couple tries for you to get it right.

10. When you see the red text and "CwM Voodoo Lagfix Recovery 2.5.1x" at the top, use the volume rocker to navigate down to "Wipe data/factory reset." Press the power button to select, and then navigate to yes, and press the power button again to select. Do this 3 times.

11. Scroll down to "Wipe cache partition," use power button to select, and then highlight and select "Yes." Do this 3 times.

12. Scroll down to "advanced" and then select "Wipe dalvik cache." Scroll to "Yes," and use power button to select. Do this 3 times.

13. Press the "Menu" softkey to return to the previous menu in CWM Recovery.

14. Navigate down to "Install zip from sdcard." Highlight it and press the power button to select.

15. Navigate to "choose zip from sdcard" and select.

16. Navigate to the rooted "su-2.3.6.1.x.zip" file that you downloaded earlier, and select it. Scroll to "Yes," and use power button to select.

17. When you're advised of completion, press the "Menu" softkey to go back to the previous CWR screen, then highlight and select "reboot system now."

At this point your phone will reboot and you'll be rooted with fully bloated ED01 Froyo. Open up your app drawer. You should see an app called "SuperUser". If it's there, you're done! Now you can think about possibly moving on to a custom ROM and/or kernel.

Don't break your phone! It's not my prob if you do! Good Luck, This did work and I am going good!
    Isn't this just the same su and busybox nemesis2all posted yesterday right here in the XDA development forum only with out the basic steps of installing ODIN and update.zip which isn't even needed with the latest CWM?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1045048