Sprint has kicked me to the curb.....

Search This thread

<Laharl>

Aug 5, 2010
I got my first contract phone in 2007 it was the Helio Ocean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helio_Ocean which I got in June of 2007 thru Helio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helio_wireless_carrier because I got a discount thru GameStop where I worked and with the "Helio All-In Membership" monthly plans of unlimited data and SMS messaging combined with 500 voice minutes for US$65 I didn't see a down side.

In On June 27, 2008, Virgin Mobile USA announced that it would pay $39 million in stock for Helio after SK Telecom promised to invest immediately $25 million in cash in Virgin Mobile USA. Virgin Mobile USA completed its acquisition of Helio, Inc. on August 22, 2008. Helio had approximately 170,000 subscribers at time of the acquisition one of which was me.

In February 2009 the Helio Ocean 2 came out and I upgraded to it on release day, then Sprint Nextel announced in March 2010 that Virgin Mobile USA would stop providing service to its Helio post-paid customers. Sprint Nextel offered Helio customers incentives to switch to Sprint branded service and were told that if they did nothing their service would be disconnected on May 25, 201, which is why I went ahead and stayed with Sprint and got a Samsung Moment in 2010.
And in that WHOLE TIME I have NEVER paid a bill late. EVER but still I get no lenience when it comes to this.

Last edited:

Delirious17

Oct 15, 2010
I have no signal with sprint where I live. I rooted my galaxy note 2 and forced it to roam on the verizon 3g network. Me and another phone on my plan roamed for 2 years and used over 5gb a month on each phone streaming pandora and etc trying to get sprint to drop us. first I received a letter saying that they are watching my usage then about a year later finally got the letter that they are terminating me so I took my 3 lines and programmed my phones to pageplus.

How does one force roam on Verizon 3G or possible 4G LTE?

lfrp

Jul 5, 2009
Im tired of waiting for sprint to get better. I started to force roam on May , last month. I thought it will be a couple of months or 3 to get the letter, but what I see here is gonna take longer... At least six months, which sucks. Also I'm the primary line, I hope they cancel all my lines (5) at the same time so I can go to T-Mobile.

Reactions: trim81

ntron1

Apr 11, 2009
While many may wish they would get the same letter, consider that the OP is losing 1 of 5 lines and the other 4 remain under Sprint contract. The OP will need a separate plan at the full price from another carrier while still paying for the other 4 Sprint lines. For me, if they cancel 1 line I want them to cancel all.

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
While many may wish they would get the same letter, consider that the OP is losing 1 of 5 lines and the other 4 remain under Sprint contract. The OP will need a separate plan at the full price from another carrier while still paying for the other 4 Sprint lines. For me, if they cancel 1 line I want them to cancel all.

He could have just said you know what fuc* it cancel them you asshol*s and they would've.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

abjc89

Dec 29, 2008
San Francisco
I'm not sure if this will help at all, but I thought of a solution that sprint might like if I understand the entire situation.

So I am making a couple assumptions... That you have your lines all on roughly the same contract cycle, that much of this roaming occurs at home or your work, that you want to keep sprint, that you have internet at home and are willing to put some work into this.

Tell sprint that you are NOT going to renew any of your lines and the primary reason is not that you have received this notice, but that you want to be on the same plan as your family so your minutes are within network. Ask them if you are eligible to use an Airave Femtocell to alleviate your roaming. Hopefully you're talking to someone high enough up where they care about keeping you. Try to get it for free (monthly too). And if you are somewhere with wifi and planning on making a call while there, you may also be interested in switching to VoIP for those. There are so many apps to choose from, I reviewed the app Talkatone and gave it high marks (and the free version is all you'll need, better features for paid).

Good luck!

<Laharl>

Aug 5, 2010
I'm not sure if this will help at all, but I thought of a solution that sprint might like if I understand the entire situation.

So I am making a couple assumptions... That you have your lines all on roughly the same contract cycle, that much of this roaming occurs at home or your work, that you want to keep sprint, that you have internet at home and are willing to put some work into this.

Tell sprint that you are NOT going to renew any of your lines and the primary reason is not that you have received this notice, but that you want to be on the same plan as your family so your minutes are within network. Ask them if you are eligible to use an Airave Femtocell to alleviate your roaming. Hopefully you're talking to someone high enough up where they care about keeping you. Try to get it for free (monthly too). And if you are somewhere with wifi and planning on making a call while there, you may also be interested in switching to VoIP for those. There are so many apps to choose from, I reviewed the app Talkatone and gave it high marks (and the free version is all you'll need, better features for paid).

Good luck!

Sprint already sent me an Airave in December because of the home roaming for his line and it didn't solve anything.
If I could get Unlimited data anywhere else I would tell Sprint to shove all 5 lines. And i would leave. I am really tired of the poor service at work and all the ATT fan boys who whip out there phones and pull up a youtube video and get it started and halfway done by the time my Sprint phone loads past the 5 second ad.

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Sprint already sent me an Airave in December because of the home roaming for his line and it didn't solve anything.
If I could get Unlimited data anywhere else I would tell Sprint to shove all 5 lines. And i would leave. I am really tired of the poor service at work and all the ATT fan boys who whip out there phones and pull up a youtube video and get it started and halfway done by the time my Sprint phone loads past the 5 second ad.

See you shouldn't need a device to increase the service, that's just saying the service is complete shi*t to a point where you need a booster.

T-Mobile offers Unlimited, and is cheaper depending on discounts, etc... sprint is cheaper for us simply because we have a 23% discount, whereas T-mobile doesn't offer that discount for us.

Reactions: ffolkes

<Laharl>

Aug 5, 2010
See you shouldn't need a device to increase the service, that's just saying the service is complete shi*t to a point where you need a booster.

T-Mobile offers Unlimited, and is cheaper depending on discounts, etc... sprint is cheaper for us simply because we have a 23% discount, whereas T-mobile doesn't offer that discount for us.

I do not have Service for t-mobile in my area. It says 2g/Voice.

musclehead84

Nov 3, 2010
Falling Waters, WV
;42481205 said:
I do not have Service for t-mobile in my area. It says 2g/Voice.

Yeah that is what t-mobile has in my area. So it sounds like it's either at&t or Verizon for u then. Both suck. Verizons network is amazing but they are expensive. Had them for a year before I came back to Sprint. I had LTE anywhere I went and it was fast. With sprint I have it around my home area but about 25 miles out of my home area the service sucks

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

I don't really have much to add to solve the Sprint issue at hand, other than pointing out that they know the spends most of the time in areas with no network access. That's not your fault, which is probably why there is not hit for early termination.

As for the Sprint Network, it's more a situation people have to wait for them to build the network up. They made a bad bet on the WiMax, which means they're behind the ball at the moment. I live in an area when there is LTE, but it's not all encompassing. Lucky for me, I get it at home and parts of work, which where I work most of the time, there is LTE. The LTE speeds are nothing like I see other people talk about. Not great or horrible. Usually in the 4 to 5Mbs down, and 1Mbs up.

End of the day, they're expanding. If I was in Houston, I would write and complain about LTE speeds, include screens shots provided. It may not do anything, but maybe it might get someone's attention so they'll look into it. This could lead them to expand network capacity. Granted, the key is to say something to right person. But saying nothing does give anyone a chance.

LMMT

Apr 23, 2009
Houston area
I don't really have much to add to solve the Sprint issue at hand, other than pointing out that they know the spends most of the time in areas with no network access. That's not your fault, which is probably why there is not hit for early termination.

As for the Sprint Network, it's more a situation people have to wait for them to build the network up. They made a bad bet on the WiMax, which means they're behind the ball at the moment. I live in an area when there is LTE, but it's not all encompassing. Lucky for me, I get it at home and parts of work, which where I work most of the time, there is LTE. The LTE speeds are nothing like I see other people talk about. Not great or horrible. Usually in the 4 to 5Mbs down, and 1Mbs up.

End of the day, they're expanding. If I was in Houston, I would write and complain about LTE speeds, include screens shots provided. It may not do anything, but maybe it might get someone's attention so they'll look into it. This could lead them to expand network capacity. Granted, the key is to say something to right person. But saying nothing does give anyone a chance.

I have been complaining to Sprint regularly, for years. My coworkers also complain, constantly. Sprint usually tries to offer a small discout for their crappy service. Most of the people here at work have already abandoned Sprint, (I work at a place with hundreds of people ) so I guess I'm the fool for sticking with these incompetent buffoons. Now, if anybody asks, I tell them to avoid Sprint like the plague.

Reactions: RoC1909

abhaxus

Nov 18, 2010
A) saying things like "i NEVER paid my bill late" or any other statements attempting to qualify yourself as a "good" customer are discounting the fact that by heavily roaming you are in fact the worst type of customer for Sprint. Even a heavy data user does not necessarily have a direct measurable cost associated with their use, but every single roaming minute cost sprint quite a bit of money. I know you are frustrated, but that's just how it is.
B) be glad that this happened now... It will not be much longer before sprint starts charging for roaming rather than just releasing the customer. Very soon. They haven't directly told us that it is happening, but there have been several internal messages related to roaming use. It's going to happen.
C) i would take a look at freedompop. Get a mobile hotspot to use with a device for another carrier to give you a cushion since you'll lose unlimited data. Freedompop is a pretty cool concept.

digiblur

Jul 24, 2007

There was no bad bet on Wimax. LTE was not ready to deploy on that band. If they didn't put something then they would lose the spectrum due to build requirements. At least Clearwire deploying Wimax forced the other carriers to accelerate their 4g plans. The timing worked out pretty good since this allowed Sprint to replace the entire network from top to bottom while adding PCS LTE and 800SMR CDMA/LTE. The only negative thing is they bet too much on Wimax helping to offload evdo traffic but then Clearwire ran into issues so the legacy upgrades got way behind.

There was no bad bet on Wimax. ... The only negative thing is they bet too much on Wimax helping to offload evdo traffic but then Clearwire ran into issues so the legacy upgrades got way behind.

I'm not necessarily disputing what you're saying. I don't know enough on the history to even try. I say they lost because WiMax barely got out of the door and staled from getting into Sprint's markets. Then there's issues of Clearwire ended up in a financial problems. Ultimately, although Sprint was first with 4G, they're way behind now from their "evil" competitors. At some point, they'll catch up, but consumers, in general, are not that patient.

jamice4u

;42260890 said:
So I received a letter today.....

Dear Laharl,
In November 2012 we contacted you to make sure that you were aware of the terms of your voice plan.
As a reminder, the roaming terms and conditions for Sprint roaming-included plans are:

Not available with single-band phones, or to the customers residing outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network.
Sprint may terminate service if (1) more than 800 minutes, (2) a majority of minutes, or (3) a majority of data kilobytes in a given month are used while roaming.

As part of our last communication with you, we also pointed out that your level of voice roaming use violated the terms of our roaming-included service plans.
Our intent in contacting you previously to give you an opportunity to change your usage habits to be in line with the terms of your plan

Because your overall usage continues to exceed off network roaming limits in violation of your voice plan we regret to inform you that your wireless service will be terminated effective on July 9th 2013.

We understand that switching to another wireless carrier may be inconvenient, which is why we are giving you until July 9, 2013 to make the transition easier.
In addition, we will waive any applicable Early Termination Fee and monthly recurring charges for your voice plan on your last month's bill.

Please note that you will be responsible for all other charges reflected on your invoice for your account.

You may transfer or port your existing wireless number to another carrier. If you choose this option, you will need to initiate the transfer of your number with the new carrier of your choice before July 9,2013 because the number will no longer be available as of that date.

If you have any questions regarding your final bill, the adjustments we made to your account or transferring your number, please call Sprint Customer care, 7am to 7pm CT.
Sincerely,
Sprint.

So I called them and asked and they said that because I use 200 to 300 roaming minutes which is more than the 150 to 200 sprint minutes I use they are going to terminate the line even though I am also paying for 4 other lines and when I spoke with a rep they basicly said that I should be thankful that they are just removing the one line and not all 5.
If I didn't use 15gb a month on my main lines I would leave for AT&T which has 4G in my town.

We still love you on XDA.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ;42260890 said:
    So I received a letter today.....

Dear Laharl,
    In November 2012 we contacted you to make sure that you were aware of the terms of your voice plan.
    As a reminder, the roaming terms and conditions for Sprint roaming-included plans are:

Not available with single-band phones, or to the customers residing outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network.
    Sprint may terminate service if (1) more than 800 minutes, (2) a majority of minutes, or (3) a majority of data kilobytes in a given month are used while roaming.

As part of our last communication with you, we also pointed out that your level of voice roaming use violated the terms of our roaming-included service plans.
    Our intent in contacting you previously to give you an opportunity to change your usage habits to be in line with the terms of your plan

Because your overall usage continues to exceed off network roaming limits in violation of your voice plan we regret to inform you that your wireless service will be terminated effective on July 9th 2013.

We understand that switching to another wireless carrier may be inconvenient, which is why we are giving you until July 9, 2013 to make the transition easier.
    In addition, we will waive any applicable Early Termination Fee and monthly recurring charges for your voice plan on your last month's bill.

Please note that you will be responsible for all other charges reflected on your invoice for your account.

You may transfer or port your existing wireless number to another carrier. If you choose this option, you will need to initiate the transfer of your number with the new carrier of your choice before July 9,2013 because the number will no longer be available as of that date.

If you have any questions regarding your final bill, the adjustments we made to your account or transferring your number, please call Sprint Customer care, 7am to 7pm CT.
    Sincerely,
    Sprint.

So I called them and asked and they said that because I use 200 to 300 roaming minutes which is more than the 150 to 200 sprint minutes I use they are going to terminate the line even though I am also paying for 4 other lines and when I spoke with a rep they basicly said that I should be thankful that they are just removing the one line and not all 5.
    If I didn't use 15gb a month on my main lines I would leave for AT&T which has 4G in my town.

That's crazy. I wish I would have gotten this letter. I'm trying to switch to T-Mobile.

Sent from the Great Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
    Damn.
    Please tell me what you did.

I absolutely hate Sprint!

I love how 3 years of paying for 4g without ever getting any 4g doesn't factor in at all. Nice. Big companies suck. I doubt AT&T or Verizon will turn out to be loving angels of mercy, but yeah I'd be pissed myself. ALL lines would go. Maybe only to a Sprint reseller like Boost though, so I could keep using my same devices.

The root problem though is universal and is simply market forces and the extreme difference between you and any bezillion dollar international company. They don't have to care, so they don't care.

There is only one way individuals (in a way) can bring a grievance to a big company and make them answer for it, and that's class-action lawsuits. And gee whaddya know? The last few years big companies have added "You agree you can't class action us. Or even sue us at all. Just non binding arbitration and only individually." right into their terms of service! Amazing eh? What a great gig it is to be a big company!

sprint

I hate sprint
    How does one force roam on Verizon 3G or possible 4G LTE?

Only 3G and it's called research, as in you know search button haha.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=force+roam+Verizon+3g+on+sprint

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app