I9000M new replacement phone 10.12 dies in less than 3 hours

Search This thread

kunjar

Nov 25, 2010
These threads should be emailed to ALL Samsung support departments, in each different country, unless there is one global support address. Like REALLY, this shouldnt be expected of a handset costing £400-500. Pathetic really. Just received my 2nd replacement handset today, screen is faded. Im not having it. The average user wouldnt notice it but after owning two previous handsets, i instantly knew the colour reproduction was off.
But atleast both units have had solid GPS reception, real world performance on the other hand im not too sure of but hopefully tomorrow i'll receive a FULLY functioning unit.
How different are the internals of the Nexus S?

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
It sounds like you are only trying factory resetting and formatting. Try flashing to another rom a different Kernel and then back to JL2 repartition the drive ext.

Its possible you could have had a bad flash of Jl2. When my SD died on my first phone I never had any of the symptoms your describing for me it was just a random FC reboot the phone and it was in it a boot loop.

that's the next thing i was going to test, i just needed to max out the current stock setup, to find out its limitation.

by the way the STOCK formats and wipe didn't work

i had to use the secret code format (it is different than the private format data, and also different from the recovery format)

if that didn't work, i'd have used the ADB mount to format via Linux

Mortify1

Oct 21, 2010
My phone just died last night... Called Samsung Canada because my phone is unlocked to Rogers and then sent me the electronic label for me to send it in tomorrow..

Is Samsung still replacing the phone or going back to repairing?

How long did it take for the replacement to arrive?

shadoslayer

Jul 6, 2009
the fact is there is no problem in JH2
my old phone was also fine on JH2

the problem surfaces on Froyos
even if i flash the ROM back to JH2, and things works, they will cease to work as soon as it gets flashed back to 2.2 JL2

the goal of these test is to find out if the internal SD is working properly or not
not the phone or ROMs

Ok, so if everything works fine on JH2 (which makes this entire thread moot), then you do not have an internal sd issue. JL2 doesn't magically create a dead internal sd.

Like I said earlier, use odin and flash to jh2 w/ dbdata and sbl (get a full rom), and flash back to JL2 using odin. Or try kies again, whatever, but flash to JL2 from stock instead of rooting, lagfixing and all that fantastic stuff. And if you won't flash back to JH2, because your convinced froyo buggered up your phone, then flash Darky's or Doc's roms, and see what happens.

If you won't do that, then <shrug>. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

9mui

Aug 27, 2010
My SGS is dead, I can't turn it on. Bought it from Bell and unlocked to use in Fido. Do I still get warranty from Samsung?!?

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
Ok, so if everything works fine on JH2 (which makes this entire thread moot), then you do not have an internal sd issue. JL2 doesn't magically create a dead internal sd.

Like I said earlier, use odin and flash to jh2 w/ dbdata and sbl (get a full rom), and flash back to JL2 using odin. Or try kies again, whatever, but flash to JL2 from stock instead of rooting, lagfixing and all that fantastic stuff. And if you won't flash back to JH2, because your convinced froyo buggered up your phone, then flash Darky's or Doc's roms, and see what happens.

If you won't do that, then <shrug>. Good luck to you.

you still don't get it do you?

the fact that it works on JH2 is not because it works properly, rather it works because it is NOT working properly

lots of people have been having hardware issues that were not evident in JH2, myself included.

once the phone was upgraded to froyo the hardware problem becomes evident quickly as it accelerates the decay.

when it is completely gone, even flashing back to JH2 doesn't do anything.

it took me a few tries flashing different ROMS just to revive it again

JM8 + JH2 + JL2

it wasn't working when i flashed it to JH2 after the last death, there was simply no response at all, until i remove the battery

ragin

Dec 17, 2007
Hubli
720 Mhz stock, but the CPU was actually under clocked according to tech specs

it can be unlocked or OCed back to 1000 Mhz

runs smoother than SGS even on 720 Mhz comparing eclair 2.1 to 2.1

the other neat thing with the Milestone XT720 is that it can do App2SD without Froyo 2.2

Check Titanium Backup Update available Today on the market. It says something about fixed issues about file locations.

jjazzyj

Dec 25, 2010
you still don't get it do you?

the fact that it works on JH2 is not because it works properly, rather it works because it is NOT working properly

lots of people have been having hardware issues that were not evident in JH2, myself included.

once the phone was upgraded to froyo the hardware problem becomes evident quickly as it accelerates the decay.

when it is completely gone, even flashing back to JH2 doesn't do anything.

it took me a few tries flashing different ROMS just to revive it again

JM8 + JH2 + JL2

it wasn't working when i flashed it to JH2 after the last death, there was simply no response at all, until i remove the battery

I've probably flashed my I9000M a dozen times to various iterations of Darky's ROM and to various kernels. I've experienced absolutely no issues at all. I'd stay away from Titanium Backup, I've heard that it doesn't work very good with 2.2 ROM's at all.

I honestly don't even know what I would do with 365 apps. You need to watch your internal phone storage, if you start to have less then 20% free space it can cause issues with your phone and all apps are stored there by default.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
Final update.

this phone is going back to the repair shop.

tried several roms (Doc's, Darky, Euro, American, with mods, without mods, etc), all exhibiting the same behaviour

it will sort of work at first, but as the phone gets filled with apps, and android market updates gets installed

it will eventually lock up, and over heat, the phone will randomly shutdown on its own, and force closes everywhere

the only way to fix it again is to go back to 2.1 fix the SD card and partition issues, then go back to 2.2 any ROM

just reloading another 2.2 ROM doesn't help

the Z4mod does improve speed, but even the EXT2 doesn't help the internal SD lock up.

this is definitely a hardware error

it has the same behaviour as when a hard drive have a lot of bad sectors.

Videonut

Nov 21, 2006
Lost@ Android Market
Final update.

this phone is going back to the repair shop.

tried several roms (Doc's, Darky, Euro, American, with mods, without mods, etc), all exhibiting the same behaviour

it will sort of work at first, but as the phone gets filled with apps, and android market updates gets installed

it will eventually lock up, and over heat, the phone will randomly shutdown on its own, and force closes everywhere

the only way to fix it again is to go back to 2.1 fix the SD card and partition issues, then go back to 2.2 any ROM

just reloading another 2.2 ROM doesn't help

the Z4mod does improve speed, but even the EXT2 doesn't help the internal SD lock up.

this is definitely a hardware error

it has the same behaviour as when a hard drive have a lot of bad sectors.

Lucky you ,Allgamer.:(
If I'm not mistaken you have the one and only screwed 12.10 build so far.

DvTonder

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2007
Toronto
And let me add my voice to this:

I received my brand new replacement SGS after having my phone in for repair since Nov 20th.

It worked fone for a while (running Darky's Rom) and then suddenly started force closing - on reboot my phone would not start. I tried all kinds of recovery options, including trying to restore from a CWM backup but nothing would work - my phone is now once again displaying the dreaded corrupted internal SDCARD messages I have seen so many times before.

This is CRAZY! I thought they were supposed to have fixed the phones - back to the Bell store again tomorrow! ARGGG!

knightdaemon

Aug 12, 2010
Montreal
And let me add my voice to this:

I received my brand new replacement SGS after having my phone in for repair since Nov 20th.

It worked fone for a while (running Darky's Rom) and then suddenly started force closing - on reboot my phone would not start. I tried all kinds of recovery options, including trying to restore from a CWM backup but nothing would work - my phone is now once again displaying the dreaded corrupted internal SDCARD messages I have seen so many times before.

This is CRAZY! I thought they were supposed to have fixed the phones - back to the Bell store again tomorrow! ARGGG!
This is with a 10.12 Manufacturing Date on the phone?

knightdaemon

Aug 12, 2010
Montreal
Called Bell and they have:

- Credited my account with $100 for 'pain and suffering'
- Shipped a new replacement phone - should have it in 3 - 5 business days

Rep said that the new phone will have the latest software on it (the one I got this morning still had 2.1)

(see this thread for calling details http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=894025
You have to ship it back to them at your own expense or they are providing some sort of packaging?

Samdroid_G_S

Nov 14, 2010
Yes, was given my new phone at the bell store this morning at 10:04 am. Has the 10.12 indicated under the battery, new IMEI etc.

So you were only running darky's for a few hours, I took awhile as in a week or more.
Just a quick question did the phone come with jh2 on it? If it did, did you go directly from jh2 to darky's or did you go to jl2 first then to darky's?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    that sucks.. are you about ready to chuck it through the window and tell them to shove it.. what really sucks is we, or at least i bought it outright.. that is an expensive paperweight. I would try to send it to samsung this time and ask them to replace it with an i9000b or i9000t with the 8gb memory maybe.
    AllGamer, can you please confirm this. If this is true and your new 10.12 has the same issue as the other ones...im going to raise some serious hell!

here it is

img20101231140038.jpg

here's zoomed in

img20101231135933.jpg

new IMEI (obfuscated for protection), different from my original IMEI #

new serial number

pictures came from the Nexus S.... the quality is WOW !!!!!!!!!:eek: crystal sharp

... anyways back on topic.

I'm still trying to find a way to make the Internal SD write properly, it might be a software bug on the JL2

I did try to reformat the Internal SD via the Recovery Mode, and it completed, but that doesn't mean crap because...

If i try to download a game, or apps it wont save to disk.

I purchased all for EA titles that were on sale for 99 cents

Sims3, Fifa 2010, Need for Speed Shift, Tetris.

All 3 of them except tetris you need to download the additional content

on my other 2 phones they will download and install just fine

on the Galaxy S nada, zip zero, it gets stuck at 5% download, then it jumps back to 0% download, and back to 5% and 0%

before i upgraded to JL2, i did the same install for all 4 games from market (when it was still on JH2) and they installed fine.

i cleared cache, i wipe, i did everything that i can think of, and still stuck with any install, download, or restore from titanium backup

I simply love Titanium Backup, it's so easy to test for a defective internal storage memory problem :D
    icon14.gif

that's the same way how it died in JK4 upgrade

i should have stayed on JH2/JK3 :(
    Called Bell and they have:

- Credited my account with $100 for 'pain and suffering'
    - Shipped a new replacement phone - should have it in 3 - 5 business days

Rep said that the new phone will have the latest software on it (the one I got this morning still had 2.1)

(see this thread for calling details http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=894025
    With all these issues with Bell's Galaxy S is there any comparable phone out there? with the features of the galaxy s but without the issues we have been encoutering. I am thinking of selling my galaxy and getting a different phone all together. Hopefully with a 4 inch screen. Does any one know if the Fascinate is encoutering lagginess and FC's?

yes I9000T the latin american version also does 850/1900/2100

no problems like the I9000M, because it uses the 8GB storage instead of the 16GB storage that is known to cause problems

most I9000 in Europe are 8GB as well, there were a handful of "special edition" that were on 16GB

on the I9000 topic voting for internal SD card issues they also had some internal SD fairlure for the 16GB version, but no were close to the horrible mountain of I9000M