[Q] How to root Galaxy Ace 2 i8160?

Search This thread

kyrillos13

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 26, 2010
Athens
The Cyanogen Mod community is like North Korea....

This community has surely no authority to dictate me, what of email adress i have to use. I have an email adress at a german provider gmx.net, and they won´t to accept this. Simply stupid...

Use your google account, you sure have one for google play.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

soraxx

Jun 29, 2011
The Cyanogen Mod community is like North Korea....

This community has surely no authority to dictate me, what of email adress i have to use. I have an email adress at a german provider gmx.net, and they won´t to accept this. Simply stupid...

Bcoz gmx is used for forum spamming
Your can join using your twitter or Facebook account.

Last edited:

Terrable2000

Apr 6, 2012
JIG

Jig is works, when plug in, phone entered to download mode.
p.s. i buy jig for samsung s2, but on this model it works too.

TechGR

Jun 23, 2012
bucharest
antsm said:
Voltage is default. Ready to root (patched Recovery).
If you're already rooted, it will remains after flashing.

Hi,

I have one question - before flashing the OC Kernel, is root necesary? I read the whole thread but I haven't seen nobody mentioning this. So do all the steps from here need to be followed in order to flash the OC kernel, or Steps 1, 3, 4 and 7 are enough just to flash the OC kernel?

Thank you.

Reddeer2000

Jul 13, 2008
Düsseldorf
Hi !
Is someone here with a rooted Ace 2 with NFC ? I'm looking for the following original files :
system/app/mediaprovider.apk
system/app/systemui.apk
system/framework/framework-res.apk

So please, can someone send me this files. I've modded the framework like kyrillos 13 did it, but it failed. And I don't have backup the original files.
So , my fault.

Thx
Reddeer2000

methusalem0815

Jul 22, 2012
Be careful when you flash your Ace2-NFC with this kernel:

I8160XXLD8_ready_to_root_ANT.tar.md5

You have rooted your device, but the NFC-function is disabled!

TechGR

Jun 23, 2012
bucharest
Ok guys, I am pretty sure the OC Kernels do not overclock the CPU. Either this, or the power management / frequency management gets messed up and the CPU ends up not running at higher speed all the times.

I tested stock and with 1200MHz Kernel. I did not root the phone, I just flashed the OC ROM, so if that is needed in order for the frequency to be applied please let me know (however, the software does see the CPU at 1200MHz).

For testing, I used a bunch of apps (some of them are 3D, I know, but I wanted to see if CPU OC has impact over 3D performance, just like with 3DMark on PC's, for instance).

Besides the synthetic benchmarks, I also used two real life applications to make sure if the real life performance is changed or not.

With Batch Image Resizer I resized 72 JPG pictures (84 MB total size) to 50%, and I also rotated them 90 degrees clockwise. This resulted in 72 files with a size reduced to 15MB. The operation took 57 seconds with the OC kernel and 52 seconds with the stock Kernel...

With Video Converter Android I converted a 3GP movie I shot with the camera (75.6 MB) to MP4, with default settings, resulting in a 28 MB file. The operation took roughly the same time to complete with both kernels (186 seconds).

That being said, it is pretty abnormal for a 50% frequency increase to have little or no impact for performance, so most likely the OC kernels do not affect the real operating speed of the CPU.

However, I would very much like to see how this baby runs at 1200MHz, so if I can be of any assistance for testing kernels and stuff, please let me know.

OC.jpg

dhvenus

Jun 7, 2012
Frankfurt am Main
Huawei P40 Pro
@TechGR:

:(
Yes, we assumed that, but according to Linkpac benchmark, what I did before and after overclocking, it seems to work.
Sadly, our "Android As" antsm was not more here in this thread. So we have no support right now for the overclocking.

TechGR

Jun 23, 2012
bucharest
There has to be a solution to this - yes, some difference is noticeable in some tests, but that is not proper scaling, so something is not working as it should with that kernel. Now the question is - is there a general issue with the kernel modification antsm did, or it behaved different for different users?

The second question is - what apps are affected by the changes in this kernel, and what apps are not. Because, with some apps you might say they are poorly optimized or have problems, but vid encoding and image batch processing really take a toll on the CPU, and the difference should be obvious for 400MHz increase in clock speed.

I am sure that antsm can find a solution for this, but I can imagine it is hard doing this without the actual phone...

Last edited:

Reddeer2000

Jul 13, 2008
Düsseldorf
If you have a ace2 with NFC , don't flash one of these kernels because you loose your NFC function. It is not possible to flash back, because we don't have the original nfc kernel !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2hi2tkw.jpg

Instruction:

1) Download and install SAMSUNG USB Drivers for Mobile Phones
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=11633550#post11633550

2) Copy update_su.zip to internal sdcard.

3) Switch off the phone and enter to download mode ("Vol Down + Home + Power").
    Wait until the driver will be installed and Odin will recognize the phone!

4) Flash I8160XXLD8_ready_to_root_ANT.tar.md5 using Odin as PDA part.

5) Turn off the phone again and enter to recovery mode ("Vol Up + Home + Power").

6) Select "apply update from sdcard" and choose update_su.zip file

7) Reboot the phone

8) Got root? ;)

Warning:You will lose your warranty. At least until we find a way to reset a custom flash counter.
    [KERNEL] I8160XXLD8 kernel with CWM recovery support

[KERNEL] I8160XXLD8 kernel with CWM recovery support

14v7lmq.jpg
    • XXLD8 stock kernel
    • CWM 5.0.2.6 (backup on external SD card is available)
    • Supports init.d executing during boot (place in /system/etc/init.d/)

Root can be installed via CWM. Choose the best for you from below ;)
    BTW, no need to re-install it if you're already rooted.

update: [KERNEL] I8160XXLI2 kernel with built-in CWM recovery
    [KERNEL] I8160XXLI2 kernel with built-in CWM recovery

[KERNEL] I8160XXLI2 kernel with built-in CWM recovery

14v7lmq.jpg
    • I8160XXLI2 stock kernel
    • CWM 5.0.2.6 (backup on external SD card is available)
    • Supports init.d executing during boot (place in /system/etc/init.d/)

Probably, there should be no issues while using this kernel with any of i8160 firmware, known at this moment.

Root can be installed via CWM. Choose the best app for you from below.

Note: Kernel I8160PXXLE6 is for I8160P model (NFC version).
    Test kernels with increased max CPU freq​
    Voltage is default. Ready to root (patched Recovery).
    If you're already rooted, it will remains after flashing.
    Hi . any progress on ACE2 roms guys??????

I may release one rom soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Ace 2 i8160