[HOWTO] Chromecast/Netflix outside USA without VPN

Search This thread

varun.c.jain

Dec 24, 2010
Bern
Using the already available information on the internet and a few threads of this XDA forum, I figured out how to get Netflix working in Switzerland, without having to use a VPN service.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a replacement for a VPN service and its functionality, but an alternative way to use geoblocked websites outside their origin countries. This workaround needs you to have either a DD-WRT router or atleast a router on which you can configure iptables via CLI.

• You will need admin access to your home router. Connect to this router via web interface or command line whichever is applicable.
  • Follow Setup Guides for Multiple Devices and setup your home router with the Unlocator DNS IPs
  • Follow How to Setup DD-WRT to Work With Chromecast
  • I didn't have a DD-WRT router but with admin access I could use the commands in the previous step on the command line of my TP-Link W8960N router.
  • You can replace the DNS IPs in these commands with any other service that you are using for eg. Unblock-US
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -j DNAT --to-destination 185.37.37.37
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -j DNAT --to-destination 185.37.37.185
  • Edit: Due to some problems with newer Netflix app versions on the Chromecast build 19084 these iptables rules seem to be a better option. They redirect only DNS requests made to Google servers to the server of your choice
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 185.37.37.37
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 185.37.37.37
  • Try playing any Netflix content in the Chrome browser, and use the Netflix player's Chromecast button to cast your content. It will work without any issues as your Chromecast will be able to bypass having to query Google's DNS and query Unlocator's DNS.
  • You can now try the same from any Android or iOS device using the appropriate Netflix app. (You can find the Netflix apk here)
  • Happy Netflixing! :highfive:

Here are detailed and confirmed working steps to:

Last edited:

jochr

Oct 22, 2009
Oslo
Using the already available information on the internet and a few threads of this XDA forum, I figured out how to get Netflix working in Switzerland, without having to use a VPN service.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a replacement for a VPN service and its functionality, but an alternative way to use geoblocked websites outside their origin countries. This workaround needs you to have either a DD-WRT router or atleast a router on which you can configure iptables via CLI.

• You will need admin access to your home router. Connect to this router via web interface or command line whichever is applicable.
  • I didn't have a DD-WRT router but with admin access I could use the commands in the previous step on the command line of my TP-Link W8960N router.
  • Use a free VPN service like Tunnelbear on your Android/iOS device or PC/Mac to connect to Netflix and setup your account. You can use any Credit Card as long as you provide the correct name and verification code. You can use any random USA based ZIP code.
  • I went ahead and created another iptables rule to force using Unlocator's DNS for all DNS queries via my router, hence making the need for this VPN step redundant. I can now access netflix.com without any VPN connection.
  • Try playing any Netflix content in the Chrome browser, and use the Netflix player's Chromecast button to cast your content. It will work without any issues as your Chromecast will be able to bypass having to query Google's DNS and query Unlocator's DNS.
  • You can now try the same from any Android or iOS device using the appropriate Netflix app. (You can find the Netflix apk here)

WOW,

I can confirm that this works from Norway!
Thanks a a lot for the tips about unlocator. Have not heard about them before.

Jo Christian

Reactions: varun.c.jain

varun.c.jain

Dec 24, 2010
Bern
WOW,

I can confirm that this works from Norway!
Thanks a a lot for the tips about unlocator. Have not heard about them before.

Jo Christian

Thanks for confirming this! Glad to know it worked for you. Even I chanced upon Unlocator by a Google search on DNS spoofing. I think they are quite new as the Beta channel was launched just around the end of July this year.

aburns7487

Mar 14, 2011
Free vpn through netherlands

Username:free
Password:1492

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

xylifyx

Sep 11, 2013
Works out of the box from Denmark

Chromecast netflix works out of the box from Denmark, subtitles and everything. Is it because you use a US Netflix instead of a local one?

Reactions: mayhemrules

varun.c.jain

Dec 24, 2010
Bern
Chromecast netflix works out of the box from Denmark, subtitles and everything. Is it because you use a US Netflix instead of a local one?
Well that is because Netflix has a Danish website to begin with. I am located in Switzerland, where there is no Netflix or anything even remotely similar.
Even then, if at any time you feel that the content on the Danish Netflix is outdated as compared to the USA Netflix, you could use the information in the first post to access the USA Netflix. I heard Netflix launched in Netherlands today, but it doesn't have a lot of latest content especially for TV shows.
As a matter of fact, if you have an Unlocator account, you can switch to any country's Netflix, by just selecting it from your Channel Settings page

Last edited:
Reactions: heynando

mr_esmit

Nov 18, 2010
Why not use the orbot method? Works for me, but must be roooted. Just turn on orbot on your phone or tablet and use any geoblocked app you want. Have to set the specific exit nodes for the us, but after the setup everything runs smoothly. I prefer this method that way i choose which apps use orbot and avoid bouncing private info off unknown servers. The only is when using netflix through orbot I get no cast button.

Reactions: bennycop

varun.c.jain

Dec 24, 2010
Bern
I'm usina netflix Brazil without VPN
Well congratulations to you! On the other hand being able to access Netflix Brazil while sitting in São Paulo ain't much of a mean feat :silly:
This tutorial is meant for two kinds of people:
  1. users like myself who happen to be in a country where Netflix isn't available
  2. users like you who happen to be in a Netflix supported country, but would like to access the Netflix content of another country
Entende? :highfive:

mayhemrules

Feb 3, 2012
Well congratulations to you! On the other hand being able to access Netflix Brazil while sitting in São Paulo ain't much of a mean feat :silly:
This tutorial is meant for two kinds of people:
  1. users like myself who happen to be in a country where Netflix isn't available
  2. users like you who happen to be in a Netflix supported country, but would like to access the Netflix content of another country
Entende? :highfive:

Don't know why you are having that attitude, but I appreciate his comment. I'm outside the US and Chromecast supposedly only worked with Netlfix US. Glad to know its not the case.

mr_esmit

Nov 18, 2010
Don't know why you are having that attitude, but I appreciate his comment. I'm outside the US and Chromecast supposedly only worked with Netlfix US. Glad to know its not the case.

Not true. I have Netflix Dom Rep (and currently reside in the Dom Rep.) and chromecast works fine. The problem is when I use orbot to access Netflix US. No chromecast button. Must be a conflict between the Orbot Ip and my ISP/modem ip

poisike

Jun 6, 2009
I can't access signup.Netflix.com and android app doesn't open when using Unlocator DNS servers.

EDIT: Ok, got the Android app working. Had to use VPN to sign up, after that it works. Now need to get my router setup for Chromecast. Thanks for the guide rufree2talk!

Last edited:
Reactions: varun.c.jain

varun.c.jain

Dec 24, 2010
Bern
I can't access signup.Netflix.com and android app doesn't open when using Unlocator DNS servers.

EDIT: Ok, got the Android app working. Had to use VPN to sign up, after that it works. Now need to get my router setup for Chromecast. Thanks for the guide rufree2talk!

You're welcome! As a matter of fact, I have written the guide very poorly. If you would have setup your router to begin with, you wouldn't have needed the VPN step to sign up for Netflix. You would have been able to access Netflix without a VPN, sign up and directly Netflix content!

gunjandubey

Sep 16, 2013
Thanks, a small query

• Use a free VPN service like Tunnelbear on your Android/iOS device or PC/Mac to connect to Netflix and setup your account. You can use any Credit Card as long as you provide the correct name and verification code. You can use any random USA based ZIP code.
  • I went ahead and created another iptables rule to force using Unlocator's DNS for all DNS queries via my router, hence making the need for this VPN step redundant. I can now access netflix.com without any VPN connection.
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 192.168.1.1 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination [Unlocator's_DNS_IP]
Hi Thanks so much for this important post.
Can you please help or suggest what DNS codes I should use in India ?

Regards,
Gunjan

varun.c.jain

Dec 24, 2010
Bern
Does "tomato" or "gargoyle" third party firmware on wndr3800 allow you to do this?

Yes I believe it will... this method will work with DD-WRT, Tomato, Gargoyle or any other firmware which gives you proper control of your router... I am not sure what manufacturer/make is the WNDR3800 but if it has a compatible Tomato image you can very well flash it and use this procedure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: Nbsss

Nbsss

Aug 11, 2012
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Yes I believe it will... this method will work with DD-WRT, Tomato, Gargoyle or any other firmware which gives you proper control of your router... I am not sure what manufacturer/make is the WNDR3800 but if it has a compatible Tomato image you can very well flash it and use this procedure.

Cheers, I've flashed countless android phones but never a router. But I'd change the firmware just for this. Hopefully I don't brick it, should arrive in 3-5 days.
I heard good things about gargoyle, might give that one a try.
Anyone have any tips before I give it a go?

basboss

Nov 1, 2010

Big thanks for this, I really appreciate it, but can you please tell me what to look for in Tomato firmware to enable the method you mentioned.

Thanks again,

varun.c.jain

Dec 24, 2010
Bern
can you please tell me what to look for in Tomato firmware to enable the method you mentioned

I do not have a Tomato router, but the documentation is very easily available on the internet at Tomato Firmware/Menu Reference
Connect to your Tomato router at http://192.168.1.1 as root user:
  • Go to Basic --> Network --> LAN --> Static DNS and configure Unlocator's DNS IPs (50.112.186.233 and 50.112.143.40) in the first two text boxes
  • Go to Advanced --> DHCP/DNS --> DNSmasq Custom Configuration and type strict-order in the text box
  • Go to Administration --> Scripts --> Firewall and add the two lines
    Code:
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -j DNAT --to-destination 50.112.186.233
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -j DNAT --to-destination 50.112.143.40
  • Save and reboot your router and test whether you are able to open any Geoblocked website for eg. http://signup.netflix.com

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

• Follow Setup Guides for Multiple Devices and setup your home router with the Unlocator DNS IPs
    • You can replace the DNS IPs in these commands with any other service that you are using for eg. Unblock-US
      Code:
      iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -j DNAT --to-destination 185.37.37.37
      iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -j DNAT --to-destination 185.37.37.185
    • Edit: Due to some problems with newer Netflix app versions on the Chromecast build 19084 these iptables rules seem to be a better option. They redirect only DNS requests made to Google servers to the server of your choice
      Code:
      iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 185.37.37.37
      iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 185.37.37.37

Here are detailed and confirmed working steps to:
    I have found a solution that works for me, and I think it would do for everyone who uses private DNS servers as Unblock-Us or Unlocator. The only thing you need is a router capable of filtering outgoing connections, and every router I have seen can do this as part of the built-in firewall without need of flashing an alternate firmware that supports iptables (such as openwrt).

You only need to put two rules on your router firewall to block outgoing packets to Google DNS Servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) for TCP/UDP and port 53 (DNS). This way, Chromecast will get a timeout trying to reach Google DNS Servers and will fallback to your router defined DNS servers and your Netflix or Hulu will work again!
    Let me know if you get it working. I'll have an fritz 7390 with the same problems.

I have an FB 7320 and it is working with routing the google IPs to some unused IP...

But you have to be careful how you enter the the google IPs (it should not be 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4,
    but should be 8.8.8.0 and 8.8.4.0 - because FB does not allow to enter netmask 255.255.255.255).

So it should look like:
    IP: 8.8.8.0
    Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway:192.168.178.222 (per default you have the FB configured as GW 192.168.178.1,
    so it must be in this network - and in this example .222 is an IP which is not used by any host).

And same for IP 8.8.4.0.
    This looks interesting mate.

Do you have any idea if its possible on DDWRT / tomato?

Is it a firewall script like this one (that i have been using but no longer works. Presumably because of the return.

iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -d 8.8.4.4 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination

I saw a script on reddit that is currently working just fine in my tomato-based router. You can use it to redirect all traffic going out on TCP/UDP port 53 to a specific IP address:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1

(assumes router IP is 192.168.1.1 - change accordingly or reroute to your smart DNS server of choice directly)
    (assumes interface is br0 - change accordingly)
    I re-direct the Google DNS requests in the Router, using Static Routes, which works quite well.

The static route method redirects Google DNS lookups to a black hole, so that no response is returned. That's equivalent to blocking Google DNS. That won't work with the new Android Netflix app 3.7.2. The iptables method might work because the app will get a valid response to its domain lookup.