[DEV] Two-way call recording on Desire [ALMOST SOLVED][Sept. 7 update]

Search This thread

avs333

Apr 12, 2005
At last, I've nearly succeeded in enabling two-way call recording directly from the phone line on HTC Desire.
This works with the latest 32.54.00.32U_5.14.05.17 radio only.

So far, the line recording was confirmed to work for incoming calls on different 2.6.32 and 2.6.37 based ROMs

The recordings of incoming calls are crystal clear, with the other party recorded as loud as your voice.

The trouble with the outgoing calls needs your help!!! It seems to be a userspace- rather than kernel-related issue: e.g., LeeDroid 2_3d ROM was confirmed to record outgoing calls as well. I'm unable to solve this because I have no Desire (i.e., the device:)), but I suspect that it may be caused by some other app like dialer or voice dialing stuff stealing the mic before the recording is started.

So, I attach:
1. Two update.zip's with patched stock 2.6.32 and cm7 2.6.37 kernels, wifi modules included (please select a proper one for testing).
2. My rVoix app hastily ported to desire. Many settings won't work, e.g. sound boost/autoanswer. Any other voice recording program won't suit, almost surely.
3. The kernel patches themselves (against the stock HTC kernel from their site and the latest cm7 from their github) -- needed for developers only.

You need a ROOTED device with 32.54.00.32U_5.14.05.17 radio for tests.

I'd be very happy if somebody finds a proper solution for outgoing calls, whatever it might be.
And I'd be even more happy if somebody ports the patches to other qsd/msm7x30 devices like Desire HD/Z, etc.

Please enjoy!

--------------------------
UPDATE:

The problem with outgoing calls is now confirmed to be a userspace issue. I'll patch rVoix.apk when I have a proper solution (cannot do it right now because of deficiency of Android SDK). For time being, please use the following trick to record outgoing calls from the line:

1. Settings->Outgoing calls->Default action, select "Ask each time"
2. When you call somebody, the Yes/No window will appear asking if the call should be recorded.
3. Рress YES button only after your callee responds!

If you press it before, your call will be recorded from the MIKE, otherwise, it'll be recorded from the LINE.

UPDATE:
skvalex wrote an app to record both incoming and outgoing calls automatically! Please look up his posts here.

UPDATE:
Several kernels & ROMs around here have already been patched! My thanks to those developers!!! Please check relevant threads: if you see that the 2-way recording patch is included, you needn't install any update.zip's attached herein: just install rVoix or (even better) an app by skvalex.

Attention!
If you want to help in improving CallRecorder, please add a star to the issue as illustrated on the screenshot below.
This API is of vital importance for CallRecorder, and CallRecorder cannot be fully functional without it.

attachment.php

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=15872

UPDATE:
I'm attaching a new built for stock Gingerbread 2.6.35, should work with sense-based ROMs (patch sources are at http://code.google.com/p/2-way-call-recording/source/browse/#svn/patches). It includes numerous fixes and AMR support (CallRecorder 1.0.31 or later needed).

UPDATE:
Please visit the site skvalex.com/donate.php, there's very important info by our skvalex!

Attachments

• update_2_6_32.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 6,269
  • update_2_6_37.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 5,079
  • rVoix.apk
    293.5 KB · Views: 9,936
  • patches.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 4,893
  • update_2_6_37_4.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 5,494
  • update-desire-2_6_35.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 3,853
Last edited:

AndyBury

Nov 10, 2010
Essex.
Google Pixel 6a
Wow do I believe my eyes..
I had almost given up all hope.
I thought no one was playing with this.
Thank's, I shall have a little look and report back.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

alirezaafkar

Aug 12, 2010
Tehran
I missed my hero just because this application ! But now its runing perfect on my Desire CM7 RC 2.
Thanks Man , You are great.

zikyHD

Sep 25, 2008
Paris
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
Hi!

I've tested your app. Great work! As you said on your first post, it's ok with incoming call. With outgoing call, only our voice seems to be recorded. Do you need log?

Sent from my HTC Desire #Root S-OFF# on Test-Mode

avs333

Apr 12, 2005
With outgoing call, only our voice seems to be recorded. Do you need log?
Thank you, Android logs won't help here (I'm afraid, the kernel tracing is necessary).

Anyway, will you try using "In-call manual control" to start/stop recording during outgoing calls? I don't even know if this setting works at all on Desire...

UPD: I mean, to start after the outgoing connection is really established.

Last edited:

zikyHD

Sep 25, 2008
Paris
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
I've tried to make a call, then launch rvox, start the service, end the call: no records. That's what you meant?

Edit: why do you have to update WLAN modules?

Sent from my HTC Desire #Root S-OFF# with a taste of Desire S

Last edited:

yenfu

Mar 8, 2008
hsinchu
Can this update file use in Hd Rom for desire ??
P.S. kernel version and radio are the same

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Komadyret

Aug 7, 2010
This is interesting.
Would love to see this worked out in general and integrated into my favorite ROM :D

avs333

Apr 12, 2005
I've tried to make a call, then launch rvox, start the service, end the call: no records. That's what you meant?

Edit: why do you have to update WLAN modules?

Sent from my HTC Desire #Root S-OFF# with a taste of Desire S
Why?? Just start the service first. Make sure that the red "rx" is displayed on your taskbar (if you really hate that "rx", check "Disable notifications" in Settings, however, you'll no longer be able to access your recordings from the taskbar, and have to launch rvoix each time you want to browse them or change your settings).

After that, the program waits for the calls, doing nothing (i.e., it won't affect your battery at all) and occupying almost no memory.

For incoming calls, the conversations will be recorded from the phone line, please start rvoix again (either from "rx" icon or manually) and look what's in Recordings.

For outgoing calls, everything will be recorded from the mike.

A temporary workaround is to set "Outgoing calls->Default action->Ask each time", and wait until your callee responds before pressing Yes. Then the call should be recorded from the phone line rather than from the mike.

The WiFi modules are needed because their version must match that of the kernel, they won't load otherwise.

Can this update file use in Hd Rom for desire ??
P.S. kernel version and radio are the same
If your device is Desire but _not_ Desire HD, I guess you may try. Be sure to make full backup beforehand.

Last edited:
Reactions: alirezaafkar

pascanu

Jan 22, 2009
Tg. Mures
I tried it on coolexe Desire Z v8 (with the default baadnews kernel) and didn't boot.

Even so, I applaud your effort and hope we will soon get a working solution to be integrated in more ROMs.

herczyn

Feb 20, 2008
Warsaw
i had a strange problem, when i called the other person could not hear me. on ingoing cals everything was OK.
i'm on GingerVillain btw.

seo

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2005
Plovdiv
lol very nice! thank you so much for your great work avs333. do you think this will work on desire hd? if so I can start an integration project asap ;)

LeeDroid

Recognized Developer
Jan 13, 2007
Newton Aycliffe
www.leedroid.co.uk
The only way to truly enable 2 way call recording is to include the (very buggy) vocpcm driver in the kernel, once this is achieved its very simple, but getting the driver to do as it should is another story.

Although the above patches do have promise ;)

Sent from me LeeDrOiD loaded Desire HD using the Android XDA Premium app

kraml

Oct 31, 2008
I have tested this on my desire. The recording for incoming calls are clear, but for outgoing calls I can only hear myself.

I was going to attach the log from your application after recorded two calls, but when I press "view log", it says the log is empty.

My kernel is a homebrew by myself, base on stock desire source, with several small and specific patches that is available on this forum, and of course, your patch. The ROM is RCMixHD 3.4.1 Desire HD rom.

avs333

Apr 12, 2005
The only way to truly enable 2 way call recording is to include the (very buggy) vocpcm driver in the kernel, once this is achieved its very simple, but getting the driver to do as it should is another story.

Although the above patches do have promise ;)

Sent from me LeeDrOiD loaded Desire HD using the Android XDA Premium app

The vocpcm driver cannot be included in the Desire kernel because it communicates with the so-called "SND" RPC-server which is considered obsolete by QC, and is missing in their newer radios.

The driver itself is a neutral thingy which isn't so bad as it sounds, but the odious setup it relies on should have been eradicated ages ago. Current solutions are much more robust and provide for various configurations of the output signals, but those signals can no longer be split into your and other party's voice and, even worse, you cannot write anything to the phone line (so that you'll never be able to implement auto-answering, etc.).

Anyhow, the quality of recordings seems to be a great deal better than that achieved using the vocpcm driver on my Hero:)

I have tested this on my desire. The recording for incoming calls are clear, but for outgoing calls I can only hear myself.

I was going to attach the log from your application after recorded two calls, but when I press "view log", it says the log is empty.

My kernel is a homebrew by myself, base on stock desire source, with several small and specific patches that is available on this forum, and of course, your patch. The ROM is RCMixHD 3.4.1 Desire HD rom.
I'm glad that the incoming calls are recorded properly.

The problem with outgoing call is now confirmed to be a userspace issue. I'll patch rVoix.apk when I have a proper solution (cannot do it right now because of deficiency of Android SDK).

For time being, please use the following trick to record outgoing calls from the line:

2. When you call somebody, the Yes/No window will appear asking if the call should be recorded.
3. NOW, press YES button only after your callee responds!

If you press it before, your call will be recorded from the MIKE, otherwise, it'll be recorded from the LINE.

Logging is enabled in settings, please scroll down and check "Enable detailed logs."

Last edited:
Reactions: bemymonkey

fversteegen

Mar 24, 2007
I don't have the faintest clue about programming, but would like to thank you guys in advance for your great work! Not bein able to record calls is my no 1 problem in android!

merlin699

Apr 8, 2008
thanks for your effort, I used this program on my Hero and it worked perfectly. I hope it works also for the Desire one day :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    At last, I've nearly succeeded in enabling two-way call recording directly from the phone line on HTC Desire.
    This works with the latest 32.54.00.32U_5.14.05.17 radio only.

So far, the line recording was confirmed to work for incoming calls on different 2.6.32 and 2.6.37 based ROMs

The recordings of incoming calls are crystal clear, with the other party recorded as loud as your voice.

The trouble with the outgoing calls needs your help!!! It seems to be a userspace- rather than kernel-related issue: e.g., LeeDroid 2_3d ROM was confirmed to record outgoing calls as well. I'm unable to solve this because I have no Desire (i.e., the device:)), but I suspect that it may be caused by some other app like dialer or voice dialing stuff stealing the mic before the recording is started.

So, I attach:
    1. Two update.zip's with patched stock 2.6.32 and cm7 2.6.37 kernels, wifi modules included (please select a proper one for testing).
    2. My rVoix app hastily ported to desire. Many settings won't work, e.g. sound boost/autoanswer. Any other voice recording program won't suit, almost surely.
    3. The kernel patches themselves (against the stock HTC kernel from their site and the latest cm7 from their github) -- needed for developers only.

You need a ROOTED device with 32.54.00.32U_5.14.05.17 radio for tests.

I'd be very happy if somebody finds a proper solution for outgoing calls, whatever it might be.
    And I'd be even more happy if somebody ports the patches to other qsd/msm7x30 devices like Desire HD/Z, etc.

Please enjoy!

UPDATE:

The problem with outgoing calls is now confirmed to be a userspace issue. I'll patch rVoix.apk when I have a proper solution (cannot do it right now because of deficiency of Android SDK). For time being, please use the following trick to record outgoing calls from the line:

3. Рress YES button only after your callee responds!

UPDATE:
    skvalex wrote an app to record both incoming and outgoing calls automatically! Please look up his posts here.

UPDATE:
    Several kernels & ROMs around here have already been patched! My thanks to those developers!!! Please check relevant threads: if you see that the 2-way recording patch is included, you needn't install any update.zip's attached herein: just install rVoix or (even better) an app by skvalex.

Attention!
    If you want to help in improving CallRecorder, please add a star to the issue as illustrated on the screenshot below.
    This API is of vital importance for CallRecorder, and CallRecorder cannot be fully functional without it.

attachment.php

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=15872

UPDATE:
    I'm attaching a new built for stock Gingerbread 2.6.35, should work with sense-based ROMs (patch sources are at http://code.google.com/p/2-way-call-recording/source/browse/#svn/patches). It includes numerous fixes and AMR support (CallRecorder 1.0.31 or later needed).

UPDATE:
    Please visit the site skvalex.com/donate.php, there's very important info by our skvalex!
    When i call they cant hear me !
    ROM : MIUI 1.3.25
    try this version
    version 1.0.27 alpha:
    - changed color of notification icon during call
    - added possibility to select multiple files

also, you can buy this app at the Market for $9.95 to promote my work
    CallRecorder

Hi
    I've made a simple app that allows to record outgoings/incomings calls. All recorded calls will be saved in /sdcard/voix.
    Now the program should record calls without having to run the program, root-access is now requested at the start of service, rather than activity, as it was before, try