Of The People, By The People

Search This thread

psychocyst

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 4, 2010
Bombay
my time with the gene is heading towards its end and i'd like to go out with a bang!!

i created this thread to give something back to this wonderful community for all the help and guidance that has been offered to me so far

i've kept the next post as sort of a checklist for new (and experienced) chefs for the stuff that they should include in their ROMs and also a list of things that our users request (based on popularity)
i'll also try and provide little descriptions wherever possible

so i'd like all those here to write down the features/apps/requests/tweaks whatever it is that you have used in your previous/current ROMS that you've liked

i'll go through the posts and add newer items into the list as time goes on

this will serve as a good place for the senior chefs here to contribute bits of their knowledge and as a quick reference index for new or aspiring chefs for things they should be considering while making their own ROMs

psychocyst

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 4, 2010
Bombay
so here's a list of things a cook oughta look up while making a ROM
i've grouped the things up into separate catgories like

1] OEM

this group requires comparatively less editing on the chef's part so i figured it best to get it out of the way first

i - the initflashfiles.dat files can be edited to make changes in the default directory locations, file names and shortcut links

ii - i remember having changed the CameraDriver.dll module while trying to get my camera working, so chefs may want to look around for that one

iii - same goes for the sdbus.dll and sdmemory.dll, some of the older SYS builds need these modules to be patched else the sd card is not detected by the phone

iv - for those adding their own CABs or any other files for customization on first boot should make sure that their Config.txt file is edited as per their needs
kitchen crashes sometimes set the contents of this file to default thereby voiding the changes made by the chef

v - edit the mxipupdate_OEMVERSION_100.provxml to add in custom ROM name and date

2] SYS

i - firstly go through all the packages and remove unnecessary items to save some important space on our little GENES
look here for more info

ii - feel free to customize the graphics files in the dpi and dpi res folders
nothing says custom ROM more than custom graphics

iii - for more advance users, you can edit the graphics within the .DLL files in some of the files in the SYS folder
modules may also be recmodded to flat .DLL files to edit and then reversemodded to modules again

iv - various system files can be recmodded to reduce the number of modules in slot 0
here's the reason why
i'll place a link up when i find it

v - some of the files can be replaced to improve the functionality

3] EXT

here's another place for some really deep customization for the chef
instead of writing down every single software package that is available i'm making a list of the must-have softwares that work well on our devices
i'll be starting off with a list of my preferred apps and i'll be adding more apps as the user suggestions come in

i - a registry editing software like PHMRegistry

ii - PPCPimBackup

iii - S2P 0.83 by far the best FREE music player around
you could alternatively use older version like the 0.58 version which had the cover flow feature and a different method of creating the playlist

iv - XDA_UC, simply because it reduces the workload on the user post flash/hard reset and pitches in great for when the chef wants some post-boot customizations to be carried out

v - pocketnester, NES ROMs may not be everyone's cup of tea but it sure as hell provides some endless time-wasting fun

Last edited:

karan999

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 3, 2008
Lets work on overclocking our CPU.currently iv been using "omap" to overclock my device to 240Mhz.

• Worst part is,just as the device goes to sleep mode,or a manual shut down/restart,the clock speed reduces back to the default 186Mhz.
  • We either need to edit the Omap executable file or write some code to make it work continuous till the device is active.
  • If we succeed in this, we'll have ROMs rolled out with default 240Mhz clocking speed as a gift to Gene n the Gene users.

n r u shiftin to a newer device ? which one r u gonnu buy.do let us know.i'll probably shifting to Samsung Galaxy S2. dont wannu wait for the HtC Pyramid.i want the Super AmoLED plus screen in my hands.

BOOTMGR

Aug 3, 2010
anoobdevsdiary.blogspot.in
I'll need shtdown animation.For overclocking pocket hack master is best(If you have money to purchase it!!!!).

To Karan999:Why don't you switching to HTC HD 2? Plz tell me bcoz i'm also going to buy HD 2 next week.

Last edited:

karan999

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 3, 2008
I'll need shtdown animation.For overclocking pocket hack master is best(If you have money to purchase it!!!!).

To Karan999:Why don't you switching to HTC HD 2? Plz tell me bcoz i'm also going to buy HD 2 next week.

@Harsh - Honestly i really donno to which device m gonnu switch.since i'll be waiting till this Nov,i'll have alot of choice.But for now,the Samsung Galaxy SII is fixed.i already use my uncle's HD2 as a third device to my Gene and my iPhone 3G S.

Lets hope for the best.

BOOTMGR

Aug 3, 2010
anoobdevsdiary.blogspot.in
PsshutXP

Ya man but it will work with psshutxp but i'm using shutxp not psshutxp (i don't know if there is any difference or not),but it replaces poweroffwarning.exe from windows folder.HTC Animation uses poweroffwarning.exe from PACKAGE_POWEROFFWARNING.I want someone to edit this exe to make it working for HTC Animation:cool:

To psychocyst:HTC sense feel on GENE will be expected.I knows that it's impossible to use it on GENE but any other UI that looks like Sense UI

Attachments

• PowerOffWarning.rar
    19.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

mattanur

Jul 2, 2009
Hi Karan,
Use Omap-264. This has all the advantages u require. It will keep in 264 even after softreset; It will keep in 264 even after power on.

mattanur

Jul 2, 2009
Overclocking is always dangerous. what about the battery life ?? overclocking drains battery faster.
Yes. Overclocking is always dangerous. But if u use it judiciously it works wonders. I have not seen any appreciable drain in battery life. I used to get almost 2 days previously. now also i am getting the same amount. May be a couple of hours less. It increases the ram speed correspondingly.

anoop.adp

Sep 25, 2009
Visakhapatnam
Incoming calls not being displayed

I'm new to this flashing rom and stuff like this, but with ALL my help from this site(thanks to everybody) I had successfully upgraded my rom to Karanz_ULTIMATE v7.12 on my new gene.
But coming to the main point, the MAIN reason for flashing my rom was that i had issues with my stock rom of incoming calls not being displayed(although the ring could be heard to the call on the other end) occasionally. This issue had landed me into some HUGE trouble which scares the crap out of me even today.:( After a few days of using this newly installed rom the issue surfaced again and now I'm afraid to use this phone any more.
I know for sure there are great GODS in this forum who can solve issues like these in a breeze, so I humbly submit my heartfelt request to please advise a solution. ANYBODY PLEASE for God's sake help me out. PLEASE...:confused:

Additional information about my Phone:
onbl 1.17.0000
spl 1.07.0ref
gsm 02.79.90
os 1.17.0.0
Any more info anybody needs, I shall give(provided you tell me where to find it).

Last edited: