[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery (Test) for G2X

Search This thread

thanasisc4

Feb 19, 2011
Hm... this is weird

So I followed instructions that I've pieced together from various posts (such as 17, and 90)

The test2.img included in the package provided in the OP flashes just fine, but when I try to flash the newer version of CM, I get stuck at "nvflash started," and nothing happens.

Here's what I did:

1)Dropped the new image into the same folder as nvflash, and the rest of the package in the OP.
2)Modified the command to reflect the new file name.

But no good, what am I missing??

Reactions: blitz911

brian6685

Apr 1, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hm... this is weird

So I followed instructions that I've pieced together from various posts (such as 17, and 90)

The test2.img included in the package provided in the OP flashes just fine, but when I try to flash the newer version of CM, I get stuck at "nvflash started," and nothing happens.

Here's what I did:

1)Dropped the new image into the same folder as nvflash, and the rest of the package in the OP.
2)Modified the command to reflect the new file name.

But no good, what am I missing??

weird, it worked for me.. I held down the vol up and down buttons the whole time. for some reason it wouldn't work unless I did that. You sure you got the file name correct?

avetny

Jul 16, 2010
Private Island.
Nope.

Here's what I've found:

USB unplugged:

Volume Down + Power = Recovery (only if flashed through NVFlash)

USB plugged EVEN with battery removed:

Volume Down + Power = Download Mode (System Update Screen)

Volume Up + Volume Down + Plugging in = NVFlash Mode (call it what you want)

If Volume Up + Volume Down + Power gets you to recovery, its a coincidence and not necessary.

my friend ! can you tell me please: I flash recovery by ROM manager. And I cant get to recovery mod by POWER+vol up-down.

Should I need to flash it normally with nvflash know?
Can I flash under my old recover (from ROM manager).?
THANK YOU !! BEST REGARDS !

but another question: can i flash "NVFlash" under my old recovery from ROM manager?

Last edited:

short/y

Mar 9, 2006
Silly-con Valley
I'm getting really confused by all the key combination posts. Am I nuts or does the key combination required to get into recovery change depending on whether you've hard flashed (as opposed to fake flashed) CWM into the recovery partition?

short/y

Mar 9, 2006
Silly-con Valley
I got the drivers installed but when I go to flash the file I get an error that says fastboot.bin not found
If you follow the directions, you install NVFLASH.EXE in a different directory from the things that get loaded so it may be that you're executing NVFLASH from the directory into which you extracted it. What I did after extracting both sets of files (as directed in Paul's Windows post over on 2x.modaco.com) was change my directory to the one containing the data files (xxx.bin) and ran NVFLASH as ..\nvflash\nvflash.exe --bct .... <etc.>

snp304

Apr 25, 2011
Sanford, FL
newb question. So if I am understanding this correctly. I have CMR through the ROM manager, can reboot into recovery, but cant save a backup due to not having a micro sd card yet. So when I get a sd card, the first thing I would want to do is make a back up?

Be gentle, this is the first phone I have rooted etc...

thanks in advance

short/y

Mar 9, 2006
Silly-con Valley
newb question. So if I am understanding this correctly. I have CMR through the ROM manager, can reboot into recovery, but cant save a backup due to not having a micro sd card yet. So when I get a sd card, the first thing I would want to do is make a back up?

Be gentle, this is the first phone I have rooted etc...

thanks in advance
That's what I'd do.

EDIT: That's what I *DID* :)

Reactions: snp304

jlevy73

Nov 8, 2009
Los Angeles
Anyone get fastboot working? I have boot.img for a custom kernel that was made but fastboot keeps giving me access denied.

Diceman4

Jun 9, 2009
St. Louis
Why don't you just make it into a flashable zip file and not have to worry about fastboot at all

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA Premium App

crazythunder

Apr 2, 2007
buffalo,ny

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 161

allofusjw

Jan 22, 2010
S. Jersey
Anyone get fastboot working? I have boot.img for a custom kernel that was made but fastboot keeps giving me access denied.

I cant get fastboot to do anything either. could you stick the boot.img into a clockwork backup folder and install it via advanced restore? The fastboot thing has been driving me crazy though. I don't yet have a grasp on the purpose of nvflash, but maybe you need to use that instead of directly using fastboot?

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA Premium App

crazythunder

Apr 2, 2007
buffalo,ny
unplug your phone from the usb. leave the other end plugged in to the pc.
TAKE OUT THE BATTERY! hold down both volume buttons while plugging in the usb. you should hear the windows device connected sound. let go of the volume buttons.
open the command window by right clicking an empty area inside the nvflash folder,select "open command window here" . copy and paste this into the command window nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-star-test2.img .
make sure there are no spaces between emmc and _x8.bct. copying and pasting has done this to me.
now press enter on your keyboard. you should get a software update screen on your phone. and command prompt should say something like test2 sent successfully. unplug the usb. put the battery back in. press volume down and power AND HOLD BOTH FOR AT LEAST 10-15 SECONDS. you should now be in custom recovery.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Creep

Sep 12, 2009
H-Town
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I thought my phone was Bricked

Last night, I installed DSP Manager and once I rebooted it, my phone got stuck at the T-Mobile G2X Logo. It would not reboot. I had previous installed CMW through ROM Manager, but I was not able to get it to work.

After a few hours, I was able to installed CWM through NVFLASH and restored it back to normal. I got my phone back. :) Thanks XDA

P.S. Always do a Nandroid Back Up.

Last edited:

profresh

May 15, 2010
seattle
ok guys i have a question. i've been reading everyday waiting to install cwm. and the reason for me not installing it yet is because i feel like i don't have a reason to until an official rom comes out. now with that said...

can i expect another version of cwm to come out sometime soon. or should i just not waste my time and install this now? can i get some suggestions? thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Read Me First!
    This will get CWM on your device's recovery partition and wipe out your stock recovery. If you wish to keep things simpler, just install ROM Manager and "flash" the T-Mobile G2x recovery from there, it doesn't actually overwrite your stock recovery, but it will still let you boot into CWM recovery, only by using ROM Manager, of course.

** Not responsible for any damage done, obviously. **

Instructions
    Here is an initial test of CWM recovery for the G2X. You need to use nvflash to flash this, I've packaged it up for you and included a nice bash script to flash it, on Linux.

Pull battery.
    Hold VOL UP+VOL DOWN
    Plug in USB.

The phone won't do anything, but you should see it under 'lspci'.

Then grab http://mirror.dal.tdrevolution.net/ctso/g2x/nvflash-recovery.tgz

Extract it, and run flash-recovery.sh
    You're not stuck on a software upgrade screen, when your computer says the recovery image was transferred successfully, just pull USB and you're done.

Changes
    test2 - Properly mount /sdcard to the external SD.
    test2 - Fix device name, should be p999 not p990.
    test2 - Do not use custom recovery ui, navigate using VOL UP/DOWN and Power to select. (BOARD_HAS_NO_SELECT_BUTTON).
    test1 - Initialness.
    I feel like a dingle berry... Ive rooted and modded every phone Ive ever owned and this all sounds like FRENCH TO ME.
    I am running Windows 7 in parallels on a MBP. I have the folders with the extracted files on the Parallels desktop.
    I power down the phone, remove the battery, hold down volume up/down and plug it in... and nothing. NOTHING shows up in Device Manager, no request to update drivers, nothing at all.
    I have "rinsed and repeated" a dozen times.
    My question now is this, with the difficulty Im having... and the absence of any Roms to flash anyway, would it be wise to wait for an easier way to do this? OR is this the ONLY way that CWM is going to be flashed?
    Sorry for sounding like a noob, Im actually not... but this has me all nuts.

Are you putting the battery BACK IN?

Repost of all required files:
    http://mirror.dal.tdrevolution.net/ctso/g2x/nvflash-recovery.tgz (Recovery images)
    http://djmcnz.batteryboss.org/stuff/NVFlash.zip (Windows NVFlash app)
    http://djmcnz.batteryboss.org/stuff/nvmobileboot.rar (APX Driver)

Extract the APX driver to a folder and everything else into another folder (2 Folders)
    Code:
    C:\G2x\APX
    C:\G2x\NVFlash

Here's how I do it.
    Remove the battery
    Hold Vol Up/Down (and keep them held)
    Plug in the battery
    Insert the cable

Install APX driver from the your APX folder

Unplug everything remove battery
    Hold Vol Up/Down (and keep them held)
    Plug in Battery
    Insert cable

open command prompt
    navigate to your NVFlash folder
    Code:
    cd \
    cd g2x\nvflash
    nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-star-test2.img

You should see it send a bunch of files to the device and the phone screen should say "Updating". Once the files are sent and the program is finished running in the command window, you "can" just pull the battery or be safe and just wait a few extra minutes. I don't think it will reset automatically.

To get into Recovery:
    From Power off:
    Hold Vol Down + Power until you see CWM (takes a second).
    Here's a link to the Windows nvflash and the NVIDIA APX driver:

http://android.modaco.com/content/l...lash-setup-instructions-drivers-links-active/

As OP instructed: Pull battery. Put battery back in. Hold down both Volume buttons while you plug in USB. It should be recognized by Windows as an Nvidia APX device and it will search for drivers. Point it to the the driver folder when Windows asks you where it is. Once the driver is installed, run this command from command prompt:

"nvflash.exe" --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-star-test2.img

My phone was stuck on a please wait screen, but after 10 minutes I unplugged it and all was fine. (I ran this in Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit inside a VmWare Fusion virtual machine on a Mac)

Boot into recovery by holding down Power and Volume Down. Volume buttons will scroll up/down and power button will choose selection.
    Right I get that... but the info in the link only takes us as far as nvflash, what's the next step... I feel like I'm missing something painfully obvious :p

Actually the instructions are outlined on the OP. It's just that the flash-recovery.sh script is for Linux. If you're on Windows, this post (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13079970&postcount=17) might be able to enlighten you.
    You're not stuck on a software upgrade screen, when your computer says the recovery image was transferred successfully, just pull USB from the phone and you're done.

Tools to reboot into recovery from the phone will not work, if you want to you can do this while root (via adb shell or something).

echo "boot-recovery" | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 seek=6144 bs=1 ; reboot