Bionic on tmobile

Search This thread

mobileplazza

Nov 12, 2012
Reflashing the FXZ will definitely reset the modem to the stock values for the string, but as mentioned, it is completely unnecessary because the global band configuration with the edited string supports full service on VZW's network.
It is the same string used currently in all VZW LTE global devices.

The reason it is not the default for the Bionic is because this device has never been certified as a global device by the FCC nor sold as one by VZW.

Hi I have moto xt875 Verizon 2.3.4 version new price I need to unlock gsm will u help me to unlock as I read this thread some people success and some not so I'm confused with the steps and I couldn't find the downloading link too...I need some help with clear steps and downloading links.

BobPhone

Apr 5, 2014
My Guide to taking the Bionic to GSM

MANY, MANY thanks to cellzealot and others here! I got my Bionic on H20 (USA-ATT MNVO) because of this. I had an older guide I used for myself to take Bionics to Pageplus. The flashing part is relavant to this method, so I modified the guide to use the methods HERE to convert to GSM instead of PPC.

Overall, this is simpler, but my GSM coverage is 0 at my home so I can't use the phone. Plus the Bionic GSM radio doesn't seem to have good reception to start with, compared to on CDMA, which was pretty good.

There is NOTHING new in this guide that hasn't been discussed in the pages since 107 on this thread, other than I SHOW how to flash with RSD, root with the VM method, and some screen shots of RADIOCOMM. Also list location of the 4 files that need renaming and remind people MANY times to CHMOD the new BUILD.PROP to rw-r--r--.

Oh, and I use Win7 x86 with HWRD Rev A Bionic and had no problems.

Guide: Bionic To Gsm - Flashing- Rooting- RadioComm

BobPhone

Last edited:

BOLTER43

Sep 10, 2014
Bionic on CM-11 with gsm

I've managed to get CM-11 working with the GSM, I'm currently on a network with Telus and if you're rocking stock jelly bean with the GSM, I'd recommend that you switch over, On JB I had 1-2 bars (mostly 1) but on CM-11 I get all the way to 4 (it's the max)

KSilvas82

Jan 3, 2014
San Marcos
Using bionic on MetroPCS w/T-mobile

I previously used the guide to unlock my gsm band in my bionic and had success using an AT&T gsm sim with straighttalk. I recently switched to MetroPCS because they offered me a free phone. The free phone was junk, I figured I could just throw the MetroPCS (tmobile) sim into my bionic and it would just work. Not so much. In network type I selected WCDMA only. In the network provider, if I scan and select tmobile it tells me that tmobile is unavailable. If I tell it to automatically register with a network provider (in the network menu) then it indicates that it is registered on a network but still indicates no service/data. I called metropcs when I did the phone switch to help troubleshoot and they said I needed to give the the MEID off of the new phone (the bionic) that I was going to use. So I gave them the info. When I was with straight talk, they never asked for my meid. The sim card I got with straight talks activation kit contained an meid number alon with the sim (so the sim was the phone in a sense.) Is this where I'm having my issues with MetroPCS? Maybe the MetroPCS activation kits also come with an meid in the fashion that the straight talk activation kits come with? Has anyone successfully used the bionic with metropcs on t-mobile towers? If it won't work, I'll cancel and go back to straight talk with AT&T, I had full service with data and messaging capabilities (albeit 3g data). Thanks for any help.

marian2014

Oct 1, 2014
Motorola Droid Bionic xt875

please can you help me to make my droid run on GSM mention that I loaded all the solutions on this forum and it did not work my version HW C and JB have stock rom 4.1.2.
* please help me thank you

theistus

Mar 27, 2010
Three year comm delay? That's pretty high latency, lol. :)

Sent from my XT875 using XDA Free mobile app

master4g

Feb 1, 2007
I've managed to get CM-11 working with the GSM, I'm currently on a network with Telus and if you're rocking stock jelly bean with the GSM, I'd recommend that you switch over, On JB I had 1-2 bars (mostly 1) but on CM-11 I get all the way to 4 (it's the max)

Did you have to do any special steps to get CM working? If I do the steps to get GSM working on Stock, can i simply load CM and have it work?

thanks

cumurph

Jun 24, 2015
CMDA will not work any more?

Hi,

I got everything working right, BUT when I try and change the radio away from WCMDA I get com.android. error. I It works with my Swedish GSM card on T-mobile here in the USA, but If I put my Verizon card in, it will not work. I tried rebooting and recovering after the exclamation point acouple times. I guess if I can not change the radio, it just won't work? Suggestions, please? I used the guide provided on page 127 of the thread.

Thank you!!

uhm

Mar 29, 2011
If you want to use Verizon, you have to undo the changes you made for gsm to work and then do the factory reset.

Bluebird01

Jan 4, 2014
Hi,

I got everything working right, BUT when I try and change the radio away from WCMDA I get com.android. error. I It works with my Swedish GSM card on T-mobile here in the USA, but If I put my Verizon card in, it will not work. I tried rebooting and recovering after the exclamation point acouple times. I guess if I can not change the radio, it just won't work? Suggestions, please? I used the guide provided on page 127 of the thread.

Thank you!!

If you want to use Verizon, you have to undo the changes you made for gsm to work and then do the factory reset.

Not necessarily. Changing the radio to get Tmobile to work, should have enabled more providers, but should not have removed the ability to use Verizon. If you look back through this thread, you can find the original radio string and see if changing it back will help, but you shouldn't need to.

killatoyota4569

Sep 12, 2007
Trying to get VZ Bionic on ATT:

System Version: 98.72.22.XT875.VZ.en.us
Android 4.12
Baseband vz: CDMA_N_05:22.00RLTEDC_U_09.1.00
Buld Numb: 9.8.20-72_vzw-22

So I have Followed this tutorial To the " T " and I got the APN settings to show and all, but when I change to any Setting it doesnt seem to connect to a Network.

Went to ATT Store to get a new Sim Card also because my Galaxy S5 Sim was a Micro. So I have 2 ATT Sims, the Regular size ones I think are 3G ones.

Anyone have any Idea that it is not connecting to a ATT Network?

I have ATT Sim card. Phone was not activated tho using a VZ Sim, I am not sure if that matters.

I have been trying to get this Bionic on ATT for 2 days now, I have no success.

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
If you have actually performed all the steps including band config, build.prop and removal of the required APKs in /system/priv-app successfully, followed by the full data reset and still can't connect to ATT's network then it is likely a SIM incompatibility.
I haven't used an ATT SIM in mine for a couple years now but it still works fine on T-Mobile with my NanoSIM in an adapter.
The radio performance is still poor but it picked up HSPDA although it did lose signal periodically while in my house. I haven't left the SIM in long enough to test it extensively but it still basically works as it always has.
You also didn't state which HW rev device you have. If it is HW C it may not work.
I would try your SIM in another device that is known to work on ATT to verify they are properly authenticating on the network.

Not sure what else I can suggest.

killatoyota4569

Sep 12, 2007
If you have actually performed all the steps including band config, build.prop and removal of the required APKs in /system/priv-app successfully, followed by the full data reset and still can't connect to ATT's network then it is likely a SIM incompatibility.
I haven't used an ATT SIM in mine for a couple years now but it still works fine on T-Mobile with my NanoSIM in an adapter.
The radio performance is still poor but it picked up HSPDA although it did lose signal periodically while in my house. I haven't left the SIM in long enough to test it extensively but it still basically works as it always has.
You also didn't state which HW rev device you have. If it is HW C it may not work.
I would try your SIM in another device that is known to work on ATT to verify they are properly authenticating on the network.

Not sure what else I can suggest.

ohh ****, am I suppose to be using a 4G Nano Sim card? Or can I use a Normal Size ATT sim card?

Because Right now the sim card that I have connected to att is a Normal basic flip phone and it has the Normal big size sim

my galaxy s5 sim card was disconnected. Is that the one im suppose to be using? Thank you

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
No, I just mentioned the NanoSIM because that is what I have. I also have an adapter so that it fits properly in the full sized SIM slot in the Bionic. You need to try the SIM you have in another fully compatible ATT device to verify that it works.

killatoyota4569

Sep 12, 2007
No, I just mentioned the NanoSIM because that is what I have. I also have an adapter so that it fits properly in the full sized SIM slot in the Bionic. You need to try the SIM you have in another fully compatible ATT device to verify that it works.

it does work i have an analog fone right now, basic flip fone. and it has the bigger sim card.

m,y galaxy s5 has the smaller sim.

Right now my ophone is on JB latest 4.12 rooted. what is my next steps. 1 by 1 so I can do it, and do you have the build prop? I found 1 but dont think it worked.

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
OK, you said you followed this guide to a T earlier. I don't know what that means, but I suggest rereading the last several pages of this thread and you will find a few guides that users have put together. I suggest doing the required build.prop edits yourself but there are also several files posted in this thread already.
You must perform all of the steps and then full data reset or it will fail.

1) edit NV ITEM 1877 for correct band config

2) edit build.prop file or replace with pre edited file and set permissions to 0644 or wr- r-- r--.

3) remove or rename the APKs in /system/priv-app

4) full data reset (note: this does NOT unroot you, it just removes the SuperSU apk that must be downloaded and run to restore root on device)

5) insert SIM and reboot and setup the phone. You should not have to select or edit any APN setting for ATT which are read from the SIM.
It should just work.

TKuhlman09

Jul 11, 2016
Independence
I've always considered myself as a "tech" kind of guy. Jack of all trades so to speak. I can fix virtually anything and have been more than interested in what rooting was and all the other goodies that could come with hacking my smartphone. Ever since smartphones came out, honestly, but have been busy with life so to speak to not have the time to do adequate research and be sure through and through, before taking steps further. But just recently (and to note, I'm "w/o sufficient funds" - or BROKE), and my Fierce 2's, and Galaxy S6 Edge have been stolen. I was able to do some repairs on a friend's computer and show him some cool tricks, for trade on a mobile device. I picked his old Bionic considering it was the only one with a fully functioning digitizer, not having a clue what I was walking into. I'm very intellectual, and will-determined, so once I found out what kind of trouble I just got myself into; not lol! I started on researching, and have impressed a few "more tech-savvy" people around me with "doing the impossible", especially with my lack of experience in this field, with how much I've learned, and even more, how far I've gotten with CDMA to GSM. But, unfortunately because of my worries of screwing up my only chance for having a mobile device, I haven't followed through with anything just because of uncertainty about 1) if it's irreversible 2) how old the posts and threads are, maybe something more current 3)it's all I've got. Quite fond of "cellzealot" ingenuties to be quite honest. Reading through threads, I've been more than more than impressed with the depth of knowledge in this area.

What I'm getting @ is its been FOUR DAYS of serious commitment and I have so many notes. Unfortunately not enough resources or equipment to pull this off. I do have a modem (PC) that I've been able to get fired up running on Windows 7 Ultimate Professional (conquered desktops, lol), my Mom's Amazon Kindle THANKS MOM, which unfortunately doesn't have a port for external AD cards, or support external mass storage devices, and this, what it seems to be, WAY ahead of its time, Bionic. Can someone kinda "consolidate" all threads, posts, tips, advice or something of the sorts with the most BENEFICIAL, not updated (with cars, newer isn't always the best; still more of a fan with the Xbox 360 than any other console/renderer) software, firmware, setup, etc?

TKuhlman09 is my user name and here's what I'm working with:
T-Mobile as my carrier- MO, USA with voice, sms, and data plan
Hardware-B
Android- Jelly Bean 4.1.2
Baseband-CDMA_N_05.22.00.R LTEDC_V_09.1D.00
Kernel- 3.08-g4a62d00
Build-up9.8.20-72_VZW-22

Unfortunately, I have tried a few things, but I'm losing it FOUR days, all day AND night long, back is sore from the position I've been sitting and (pretty sure Mom's gettin upset with the absence of Game of Thrones, considering I have the kindle:eek:), so I have some software on my PC, VirtulBox 4.2.12-84980, and RadioComm 11.12.2

PLEASE ANYONE!!!! RAPIDLY a step-by-step, tutorial guide. And consider I've downloaded or haven't downloaded I should/shouldn't have... so please inform how to "get back to the drawing board/scratch" before kicking off/starting towards progress..... OMG, that was alot. I'm going to eat a decent meal and stretch. I've given couch potato these last 4 days. I'd really like to get out, but due to wifi my only option as connectivity....

P.s. I do want to have "rooted" device/access, considering I do like having "administrative" controls over my tech/equipment, especially over my apps. Controlling permissions and what not; and I do want to mention I am a media lover and "cool tools" guy

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got this done - no gsm data yet

Looking for someone to help make DATA working... I have all files but nowhere to upload to...

PROCEDURE
    1. Update Bootloader to (0A.72)

2. Install stock ROM with RSD Lite
    ----> GB: VRZ_XT875_5.9.904.XT875.Verizon.en.US_CFC_01

Make sure Debug Mode is ON and it's connected as CHARGER ONLY (not Mass Storage)

3. Root the phone with motofail (motofail_windows.zip)

4. Install Bootstrap (BionicBootstrap.apk)

5. Reboot into recovery and install ICS Gummy (Gummy_targa-Release-1.0.2.zip + speargapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip)

6. To enable GSM/UMTS follow these steps:
    1. Ensure USB is connected as PC Tools mode (not Mass Storage)
    2. In Radiocomm go to MA->CDMA1X->QSC60x5
    3. After it comes up, switch to FTM Common1 tab and wait for the phone to enumerate purple.
    4. On the upper right side in the NVAccess, scroll to NV item 1877 NV_RF_BC_CONFIG_I
    5. Read the value from the device
    6. Replace the first 8 bytes (16 digits) with: 8703E80400000200
    7. Write the data to the device and powercycle.
    This will enable GSM/UMTS bands.

To disable GSM/UMTS, perform the same 7 steps, but replace the 8-byte data with: 0700000000000000​

AFTER SOME WHILE GSM SIGNAL IS STRONG FOR VOICE BUT NO DATA
    This post shows the directions in pictures.

directions.jpg
    Bionic GSM Band Config update.zip

Here is the zip file installation.

As stated above, it can only be run from Bionic Bootstrap recovery and not from Safestrap.

Just place the zip on the root of the sdcard and then open Bionic Bootstrap and boot into recovery and select Install zip from sdcard, then Choose zip and select the file and install it. it takes about 2 seconds to run and then reboot the phone after putting the SIM in and it should work immediately in most cases.

The zip only performs the NV edit to Item 1877(0755 hex) rec 1 bytes length 8 and no other modifications.

We made zips for the D4 and Razr as well and will probably make a more formal release post for those devices, as they require some additional files for everything to work properly.

The Bionic was the first one and, as it turns out, the easiest of them.

I am also taking a look at the Xoom and trying to make it work on that device too.

This really opens up a lot of possibilities and probably some serious consternation for VZW.

Thanks to fragulina for the original hack!
    I have all the files myself but nowhere to upload to...

I have a private server with private access you could pm me and I can send you a username and password, then it could be seeded via torrent.

---------- Post added at 06:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 AM ----------

This is a pic of the Bionic using both Tmo and ATT using this hack. The pics are from TeamBlackHat using this seem edit.

proofoflife.jpg

The directions were added to the image. The original directions can be found on page 2 of this thread.