[GUIDE] R800x owners - You got Custom ROM questions? I've got Answers!

Search This thread

EagleDelta1

Feb 27, 2012
This might already be answered somewhere I missed, but since I was unable to find it, I'll ask here:

Are there any custom roms on the r800x that use a newer kernel (i.e. 2.3.4)? I know a few people are planning to work on ICS for the CDMA version after the GSM version is complete, but I was just curious - primarily because of the launch of the Playstation store recently.

Thanks!

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
This might already be answered somewhere I missed, but since I was unable to find it, I'll ask here:

Are there any custom roms on the r800x that use a newer kernel (i.e. 2.3.4)? I know a few people are planning to work on ICS for the CDMA version after the GSM version is complete, but I was just curious - primarily because of the launch of the Playstation store recently.

Thanks!

Doom Kernel is based off 2.3.4, but any R800i release we can't get to work perfectly (everything except for baseband works... so if you don't use your phone for calls/data, then you're good)

netizenmt

Jan 20, 2011

Thanks!

Kernels and ROMs are two separate things. This thread was addressing what works for the R800x with a locked bootloader. The kernel is one of the things locked away from us. I believe the only way we'll get a newer kernel is when/if Verizon updates us sometime in the future. Thus, we are limited to ROMs based off of the stock 2.3.3 version and using the 2.3.3 kernel.

To get around that, you would have to unlock your bootloader (which is explained in other threads but costs around $25.00 US. I'm not sure which kernels are available that work on the R800x unlocked, since that's beyond the scope and purpose of this thread. Not having one, I haven't had opportunity to experiment with it.

Schwabie64

Mar 1, 2012
Armada, MI
Question

Hey this is my first post and I am unable to post this question on the GBTweaked thread sooo...

I was just wondering if anybody knows of another link to files under the "DooMLoRD's WiFi Modules" link.

I searched through the comments on the GBTweaked forum and only found one other link that has been taken down as well.

netizenmt

Jan 20, 2011
Hey this is my first post and I am unable to post this question on the GBTweaked thread sooo...

I was just wondering if anybody knows of another link to files under the "DooMLoRD's WiFi Modules" link.

I searched through the comments on the GBTweaked forum and only found one other link that has been taken down as well.

I'll check at home and post them up on MediaFire if I have them. More people will see this if you make a separate post though.

Reactions: Schwabie64

Schwabie64

Mar 1, 2012
Armada, MI
Thanks for looking.

And were else could I post this question? Seeing as I am limited on what I can post on.

Sent from my R800x using XDA App

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
Ok so heres a question. If I root, and Verizon releases an OTA update (yes I know, pigs may fly first), should I un-root before installing? If I don't will it kill my phone?

To add on to my question even with it rooted I cant destroy Verizon Bloatware :( need to install a custom rom for that?

Last edited:

netizenmt

Jan 20, 2011
Ok so heres a question. If I root, and Verizon releases an OTA update (yes I know, pigs may fly first), should I un-root before installing? If I don't will it kill my phone?

To add on to my question even with it rooted I cant destroy Verizon Bloatware :( need to install a custom rom for that?

OK - first - rooting won't keep OTA from working, but removing Verizon Bloatware (ie system files) will.

What you want to do is:
1. Root
2. Install CWM and do a nandroid backup
3. Install Titanium Backup and remove the bloatware.

Once you do that, if the unlikely happens and Verizon does release an update worth getting, you can restore your Nandroid you made before removing anything and be good to go.

You could also simply use Flashtool and the appropriate ftf file to go back to stock.

Please refer to the OP for links and more information.

netizenmt

Jan 20, 2011

Try these - I believe they are what I used. http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?rps86s1qxbbe6vo. Copy that somewhere on your sdcard.

To install them, boot into recovery, scroll down to "Install zip from sdcard" and then use "choose zip from sdcard" and browse to the file. Once it is installed, reboot and you should be OK.

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
OK - first - rooting won't keep OTA from working, but removing Verizon Bloatware (ie system files) will.

What you want to do is:
1. Root
2. Install CWM and do a nandroid backup
3. Install Titanium Backup and remove the bloatware.

Once you do that, if the unlikely happens and Verizon does release an update worth getting, you can restore your Nandroid you made before removing anything and be good to go.

You could also simply use Flashtool and the appropriate ftf file to go back to stock.

Please refer to the OP for links and more information.

Cool thanks for the tips. So Titanium can remove specific crapps (because thats what some of verizons junk is, crap) that normally cant be uninstalled, correct?

Regarding the Nandroid backup, if I restore the backup, will it affect

A)any new apps/games I've installed
B)any save games I have?

Or is it just a main system backup. Thanks!

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
Cool thanks for the tips. So Titanium can remove specific crapps (because thats what some of verizons junk is, crap) that normally cant be uninstalled, correct?

Regarding the Nandroid backup, if I restore the backup, will it affect

A)any new apps/games I've installed
B)any save games I have?

Or is it just a main system backup. Thanks!

nandroid is like taking a snapshot of your phone's current state. Anything done after the nandroid is lost when you restore the nandroid.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
It depends on where the game saves, if it's on the sdcard, you're good, if it's on the /data partition, then yeah, manual backup.

Ahh ok. So the more likely scenario is if I download any new games since my backup then I'll probably have to back them up (since I'll have to redownload them and they may overwrite their data source on the SD card).

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
Ahh ok. So the more likely scenario is if I download any new games since my backup then I'll probably have to back them up (since I'll have to redownload them and they may overwrite their data source on the SD card).

Most games don't save data to the sdcard (except emulators)

Just use titanium backup (or something similar) to make backups, and restore app + data, and it should keep your progress (honestly, I use this phone less and less for gaming, so I'm not 100% sure)

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
Most games don't save data to the sdcard (except emulators)

Just use titanium backup (or something similar) to make backups, and restore app + data, and it should keep your progress (honestly, I use this phone less and less for gaming, so I'm not 100% sure)

Ok cool, so when I am ready to do the Nandroid restore, back up my games using Titanium, restore the nandroid, then restore the games. Cool Thanks!

EagleDelta1

Feb 27, 2012
Kernels and ROMs are two separate things. This thread was addressing what works for the R800x with a locked bootloader. The kernel is one of the things locked away from us. I believe the only way we'll get a newer kernel is when/if Verizon updates us sometime in the future. Thus, we are limited to ROMs based off of the stock 2.3.3 version and using the 2.3.3 kernel.

To get around that, you would have to unlock your bootloader (which is explained in other threads but costs around $25.00 US. I'm not sure which kernels are available that work on the R800x unlocked, since that's beyond the scope and purpose of this thread. Not having one, I haven't had opportunity to experiment with it.

haha, yeah android version is what I meant, not kernel. I only ask this question b/c there are several phones with locked bootloaders (my last phone was one) that prevented a kernel change, but there were more than enough ROMs that ran on a newer version on Android, despite Verizon's lack of updates and kernel version. ( a good example is the CM9 WIP rom for DroidX. Already pretty stable and running on an older kernel)

Schwabie64

Mar 1, 2012
Armada, MI
Try these - I believe they are what I used. http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?rps86s1qxbbe6vo. Copy that somewhere on your sdcard.

To install them, boot into recovery, scroll down to "Install zip from sdcard" and then use "choose zip from sdcard" and browse to the file. Once it is installed, reboot and you should be OK.

I downloaded the zip placed it on the SD card turned off the phone as I normally would turned it back on while constantly pushing the volume down button and CWM doesn't show up?

The .apk is downloaded from the store I boot it up click on install CWM it shows a check mark in the box I exit out and shut down phone same thing happens as before. Went back into CWM and the box is unchecked?

I uninstalled and re installed multiple times to no avail.

I have the Xperia Play r800x, properly rooted. Using the ROM gbtweaked.

Just wondering if you may have any suggestions?

ioo7

Dec 29, 2011
Winnetka, CA
I downloaded the zip placed it on the SD card turned off the phone as I normally would turned it back on while constantly pushing the volume down button and CWM doesn't show up?

The .apk is downloaded from the store I boot it up click on install CWM it shows a check mark in the box I exit out and shut down phone same thing happens as before. Went back into CWM and the box is unchecked?

I uninstalled and re installed multiple times to no avail.

I have the Xperia Play r800x, properly rooted. Using the ROM gbtweaked.

Just wondering if you may have any suggestions?

Try using the back button in stead, hop that helps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    xda-developers is a great site for learning all sorts of tricks and tips. However, sometimes it's been excruciating trying to get straight answers to what should be simple questions. You can get lost for hours or days in some of these threads, and still not be certain of the answer. And some people just can't seem to resist giving a n00b a hard time instead of a helpful hand.

Hopefully, this short guide will lessen someone's pain a bit. This guide is intended for use primarily by those of us who own a Verizon Xperia Play, model R800x.

Basic terminology you should know before using this guide:
    1. What is Root, and why should/shouldn't I do it?
    2. What is a locked Bootloader?
    3. Can I unlock my bootloader, and do I have to in order to customize my R800x?
    4. What is a kernel?
    5. What is a Custom Recovery?
    6. What is a Nandroid?
    7. What is a ROM?

Use Wikipedia or Google to get the answer to those basics before moving on. You need to understand the whys and wherefores before going further.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK - You're back, so hopefully you have a better understanding of what we'll be doing from here on out. This guide is intended for those of us who for one reason (money) or another (caution, anxiety or fear) choose not to unlock the bootloader but still want to do some customization. I'm going to gather together the threads you need to perform the following tasks:

1. Root the R800x - [HOW-TO] Root Phones w/ Android v2.2.x-2.3.x (zergRush Method)

2. Install a Custom Recovery - The easiest method is found here: [APP]/[RECOVERY] Auto-Installer 5.0.2.7-nAa-r2 (Locked/Unlocked Bootloader) 10/1/12 That's an apk you install on your phone and run to install CWM to the \system folder. No cable or PC needed!

3. Make a Nandroid backup - Turn off your phone. When you see the words Sony Ericsson, repeatedly push the volume down button to enter Clockworks Custom Recovery. Using the volume down button, highlight Backup and Restore. Use the Home key to select it. Use Home again to select Backup. When it finishes, congratulate yourself on making your first Nandroid Backup! Reboot your phone to get out of CWM.

4. Choose and install an alternate ROM The following ROMs have been tested by me and have been shown to work. Each of them is available as a Nandroid, so you will copy them to your SD Card in \clockwork\backup and then use CWM's Backup and Restore menu to restore them to your phone.Follow the directions as provided by each thread. NOTE: In most cases, these ROMs may be used on either locked or unlocked bootloaders.

- GBTweaked0 - the Basic Gingerbread stock ROM, debloaded and tweaked out with the Icecream Sandwich look.

-R800x with UK Firmware - 2 links here and both work. Verizon 2.3.3 Timescape works as is. UK firmware needs a little extra effort to enable the hardware keys Tutorial Fix R800X UK nandroid Back,Home,Menu, and Search buttons and the wifi which can be downloaded from here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?rps86s1qxbbe6vo

-UPDATE For the button fix above, I found that if you follow those instructions, your buttons for the gamepad stop working. Follow the tutorial but insert the lines above the line that says "# KEY_UP, KEY_LEFT, KEY_RIGHT, KEY_DOWN" instead. This lets both the front buttons and all the gamepad buttons work properly. (See my post in the tutorial for the total script.)

-UPDATE: Hogwarts has added another customized ROM called COLA just for our R800x with the locked bootloader. When Hogwarts says it's the smallest and fastest ROM currently available, he's not kidding! This is about as bare minimum as you can get, lean and mean. Interested? Check out his post for COLA.

-UPDATE XperianceIT has posted up another customized ROM, a variation based on Hogwarts COLA. He calls it IT-ROM

-UPDATE From KeiranFTW comes Darkforest CDMA Rom (3.0.5) - [ROM] Darkforest ROM 3.0.5 UPDATE | GSM 2.3.4/.62 | CDMA 2.3.3/.145 [WIP]

5. Return to Stock - Download Flashtool from here: Flashtool-0.6.8.0-windows.exe and the stock ROM ftf from here: R800x 2.3.3 Full 3.0.1.E.0.88 FTF

Please be sure to READ AND FOLLOW the instructions provided on each of those threads. I bear absolutely NO RESPONSIBILITY if you do something to damage your phone.

NONE of these programs or solutions are my own work. All I have done is hunted down and tested these different links. All credit goes to each thread reference's OP and their respective affiliates. SOME of the people to be thanked are: DooMLorD, PaxChristos, KeiranFTW, Chevyowner, 216Monster, 007shark, odst0016, Leraeniesh, Androxyde, CrimsonSentinel13, Hogwarts, pvyParts the ICX Developers, and the Dark Forest Developers. Oh yeah, Sony (Ericsson) for making the phone, and Verizon for challenging all the devs creativity! If I've missed anyone, it's because I have a lousy memory and not because I wanted to shaft them from the glory they so richly deserve.

I hope this helps someone out. I sure could have used this post myself! :)

02/16/2012 - Updated some of the links that had been pointing at MultiUpload to new links on MediaFire
    03/38/2012 - Removed ROM info for Unlocked Bootloaders as this thread is for LOCKED R800x Phones Only
    I cannot thank you enough for this post! I too was lost initially. I just received the Xperia Play. Not new to unlocking/rooting/etc, but you are always kind of new when it comes to a new device ;)

This time however I did not want to unlock the bootloader, but simply bring root, clockworkmod, and debloat...and stop the "low space" warnings that started happening to me about 30 minutes after using the phone :mad:

Your tutorial worked great. Rooted, installed clockworkmod, installed Cola. MUCH much appreciated for your post, it helped make the process easy peasy ;)

It's always gratifying to know when something I posted up helped someone out. If you also took a moment to click the thanks button, that's also always appreciated! :) Enjoy customizing your phone!
    I'm sorry, kind of noob. I do have recovery. I can mount it, just don't know how to call it up from my PC. I'm reading somewhere I need the sdk on my comp?? Plexiglas help, want to fix this without messing more up. Plz Ned a noob step by step, thanks so much:eek:

1) Download either SuperOneClick or the ZergRush toolkit in the link in my signature. (We'll use zergRush for the sake that I have it handy)
    2) extract everything from the zergRush zip file
    3) (Re)boot into recovery
    4) Navigate to mounts and storage
    5) mount /system
    6) open command prompt (start menu -> run -> "cmd")
    7) cd "C:\path\to\zergRush\extracted_folder"\files\" (make sure you navigate all the way to the files folder)
    8) type in adb shell
    9) type in "su" if the prompt is "$" (it should be "#" anyways)
    10) type in "mv /system/app/app.bak /system/app/systemUI.apk"
    11) Reboot, your system should work.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

I just wanted to say thank you for everyone that gave me suggestions on how to move more apps to the SD card. They were all great suggestions but just didn't work for me :(

Here is what happened:

First I tried to turn the Flash app into a user app with Titanium BackUp and I let it run for 40minto 1hr but it was still "working". So I just rebooted. After that my Flash app was magically gone? So I then was able to reinstall it to the SD card from the Market BUT when I tried to use it via Dolphin web browser, no dice. I had to move it back to the phone memory.

Then I tried it with Google maps and got an error when trying to reinstall it from the Market about not being able to install it in the default location. I tried to restore it with Titanium back-up and let that go for at least 1/2 hr before giving up and just rebooting again. I ended up undoing the script to save everything to the SD card and then it worked form the market.

I have not tried any other apps yet.....I how long should I let Titanium Back-Up run for these things before I should assume it's not going to work? 1, 2hr or over night? Or 15 to 20 and then give up?

If I use the Cola ROM can I move these apps no problem or is it still the same issue because it IS a stock based rom?

Thanks again for all your help.

I think it's still an issue, but yeah, other than using a CM build, I have the exact same issues with titanium backup as you described.

Pax
    I've got a rooted, unlocked R800x running the FXP kernel. However, every time I try and install cm7, I get the build prop error and the status 7 aborted message. I would really prefer cm7 to stock, as FXP 111 seems to be a solid and stable build (or so the thread leads me to believe). Can someone post an edited build.prop or instruct me as to how I can edit it myself? I checked the file and don't see any assert tags or anything. Any advice would be hot. I'll be running stock on doomlord until I can get some help with this issue. Thanks a lot to everyone.

tl;dr status 7 aborted, wat do?

do you have the right update.zip for the r800x? it should be update-cm-7.2.0-RC0-zeusc-KANG-signed

if you want to flash what you have remove the assert tag from updater-script from the update.zip under META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script
    Thanks for the info.
    Specifically the hardware key fix on the UK ROM

If you dont mind please add my Cola rom to this list of R800X roms
    thanks.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1442557