[MOD] Data Service Governer Killer - Updated with How To:

Search This thread

mattykinsx

Jul 7, 2010
again i would question the tools you used to determine this as folks think cap's and throttling are one and the same. unlimited data is one thing but if your speeds after 5GB is reduced in half i would feel slighted. i would argue a speed test doesn't equate to real testing

Okay but claiming something occurs, simply because another carrier DOES it, isn't proof it occurs.

You have people in this thread that abuse the system and use 30 gb + a month not noticing ANY change.
When they speed test it tests fine.

So is there anything really wrong with the evidence provided?

I think until proof is provided that there is actual capping/governing going on, nothing is going on at all.

xlGmanlx

Jul 21, 2010
www.life360.com
i don't dispute that it very well may not be occurring, however if the ability is there to eliminate it, why disregard it? running a speed test every once in a while does not equate to factual data that throttling occurs. i think we don't have the tools in place to test that at least not the average user or power user. with that being said, why not include it in a ROM build? again, i am not claiming i know one way or the other, but if this method prevents it from ever occurring, it would be silly not to incorporate this like all the other tweaks into future roms.
Okay but claiming something occurs, simply because another carrier DOES it, isn't proof it occurs.

You have people in this thread that abuse the system and use 30 gb + a month not noticing ANY change.
When they speed test it tests fine.

So is there anything really wrong with the evidence provided?

I think until proof is provided that there is actual capping/governing going on, nothing is going on at all.

Hamspiced

Dec 14, 2009
again i would question the tools you used to determine this as folks think cap's and throttling are one and the same. unlimited data is one thing but if your speeds after 5GB is reduced in half i would feel slighted. i would argue a speed test doesn't equate to real testing

If i could test this i would, His origional post before edit said it should work on any rom.

I couldnt test it. Since then op has edited the post.

The only thing this does now for us, untill fixed of course, is give us an awesome view of our boot animations.

nabbed

Aug 15, 2010
From reading feedback here in the thread:

Someone who cannot spell "governor" should not be taken seriously.

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
If you read one of the earlier linked threads about this stuff you'll see the poster that brought the changes up said that it seemed that the mod only worked for Tmobile ppl and one other b/c sprint and others throttle/cap whatever OTA and not in the actual firmware.

Reactions: rockinjer

mattykinsx

Jul 7, 2010
i don't dispute that it very well may not be occurring, however if the ability is there to eliminate it, why disregard it? running a speed test every once in a while does not equate to factual data that throttling occurs. i think we don't have the tools in place to test that at least not the average user or power user. with that being said, why not include it in a ROM build? again, i am not claiming i know one way or the other, but if this method prevents it from ever occurring, it would be silly not to incorporate this like all the other tweaks into future roms.

I can understand the logic behind this but...at the same time...if what's being removed DOESN'T do what we're talking about...what DOES it do?

Removing something for the sake of removing it can have unintended consequences.

cmarti

May 7, 2006
Is it possible that this could work on the Nexus One and T-Mobile? My cycle closes the 16th and always on the 12th I get that text saying that my speed has been throttled because of the amount of data used by my phone.

mattykinsx

Jul 7, 2010
Is it possible that this could work on the Nexus One and T-Mobile? My cycle closes the 16th and always on the 12th I get that text saying that my speed has been throttled because of the amount of data used by my phone.

There is a post for T-mobile because T-Mobile for sure does this.

jjprophet

May 7, 2010
Minneapolis
so im using a stock 3.70 rom and just deleted the throttle files myself out of the services.jar and booted up fine but have no idea if its doing what its supposed to do

TpyoKnig

Jul 24, 2007
Hickory
Oh I so love being nerd-slapped. In the future, a simple "yes they do" would have sufficed :: facepalm ::

P.S. I am reading this using Tapatalk. There is no BOLD and Highlighted.

Mitchell's EVO

No a simple, "RTFM" would have sufficed even better if you just read the title and skip the whole post and post a question, you deserve to be "nerd slapped".

1Brite1

Jun 17, 2010
OP says he will be creating a list.

The problem is this type of a file is usually ROM specific.
If you have flashed anything that modifies this file in any manner or if the Dev of the ROM you're using modifies this file, at all, then you're likely to receive boot loops.
OP said that the file post is for Myn's Rls 4 so it likely won't work on any other ROM.

With that all being said it seems like the Evo is NOT subject to this sort of Govenering.
As evidence by the multiple 30 GB / month users that can attest to it.

I feel inclined to point out that the amounts that you people suggest you use are the exact reasons why mobile providers are going to completely change the structure of their internet plans. [And I assure you it will be done server side]
There are four people on my plan.
Evo, Epic, Pre and Pro Touch 2.
Everyone uses their phones a lot, I use probably the most and we probably, all together use 2 GB a month. Likely much less.

I can understand using more once in a while...but 30 gb or more a month every month?
I'm sorry but that's clear abuse.
Why don't you guys just go sit outside Dan Hesse's house with signs that say "please get rid of unlimited internet" because that's exactly what you're doing.

It would be different if you purchase a mobile card and use that much data on that because that's what they're for.
The unlimited data for your phone is meant just for that...your phone.
Well, my justification is that if you are paying the $30.00 per month extra to use the mobile hotspot.....it is designed for up to 8 devices to connect and use the internet, they even advertise that feature....besides....I don't think that the Sprint website acurately accounts for what I am downloading. I know from using different apps, when I am downloading say...a 180MB file....one app will say it is almost triple that amount-another will say double etc. I know downloading a new rom every night should not equal to 45GB per month, but that is what my Sprint account shows. So, who knows? I just want what I am paying for without throttling.

Last edited:

joseh672

Jun 9, 2010
Fort Worth
Htc Hd2

I searched this thread several times before asking this question

will this work on my htc hd2 I am running [BUILD][18.12.2010] darkstone SuperRAM FroYo v1.5 [kernel: Hastarin custom?

xlGmanlx

Jul 21, 2010
www.life360.com
Ummm..... does that work on the sprints network and run android and sense? Otherwise not sure why the question
I searched this thread several times before asking this question

will this work on my htc hd2 I am running [BUILD][18.12.2010] darkstone SuperRAM FroYo v1.5 [kernel: Hastarin custom?

I still think folks have capping and throttling mixed up

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok first things first... I just came to the EVO from the Epic, so I'm gonna join this community now :).

..::..Disclaimer..::..
    You are voluntarily flashing this at your own risk. I can not be held accountable for anything you choose to do on your own. If you try to blame me, I will laugh at you. ....While pointing.

..::..Data Service Governer Killer..::..

1. What does this do?
    This is a modification to the services.jar framework file, that allows you to have an un-throttled internet.

2. Will this make my internet faster?
    Yes and No. This will not "Upgrade" your internet. This only takes the trottle off, so you can download, or play games and not have to worry about it hitting a certain peak and lagging from that point on. It doesn't provide you with a new internet, only a warm fuzzy feeling from knowing you don't have to worry about it capping off.

3. If I flash this, will it break my phone?
    If it did, yours would be the first case I heard of. I've personally flashed it NUMEROUS times.

4. Will this work on any ROM?
    Yes. This is not based off a particular ROM, and can be used with ANY EVO ROM. ALTHOUGH If you're Dev has made changes to the services.jar file, this could wipe those changes out. If you are unsure, send me your services.jar file, and i will look for you. Hopefully, i'll be able to make a download list in a couple days with all the Dev's services.jar files, so you can download that specific one. You can always ask your Dev.

5. Do I have to be rooted?
    Yes. In order to be able to flash this, you are going to need to have root with a custom recovery. I.E. Amon_Ra.

..::..Install Instructions..::..

Simply download, and place on the root of your sdcard. Then go into recovery and flash it as you would a ROM. Done.

..::..Download..::..

Data Service Governer Killer

..::ALTERNATIVELY::..

You can follow this method if you're Services.jar framework is already modified, or if you aren't sure.

1. Download these 2 files:

[fixed link for baksmili- op you can remove this line when u get to it :) ]

2. Create 2 folders on your C: Drive labeled "Smali" and "Baksmali". (This is for easy access to the folders when being cd'd)

3. Place the 2 downloaded files in the C: Drive folders accordingly. (I.E. Smali.jar in "Smali" folder, and Baksmali.jar in "Baksmali" folder.)

4. Using 7zip or WinRAR (or any other zip program) open the services.jar file that you pulled from your phone. Copy the "classes.dex" file and paste it into the "Baksmali" folder.

5. Open your command prompt and type the following:
    • cd C:/Baksmali
    • java -Xmx512M -jar baksmali.jar -o classes/ classes.dex

6. Open the newly created "classes" folder (its inside your Baksmali folder that you should already be in) and navigate through "/com/android/server/". Scroll down till you see the 6 or 7 "Throttle" files. They will be located between "TelephonyRegistry" and "TVCableObserver$1$1". DELETE ONLY THE "THROTTLE" FILES.

7. Back out of the folders until you are in the "Baksmali" folder again. Now open the "Smali" folder you created earlier. Place the "classes" FOLDER in the "Smali" folder.

8. Return to your command prompt and type this:
    • cd C:/Smali
    • java -Xmx512M -jar smali.jar -o classes.dex classes/

9. You should now see a "classes.dex" file in your "Smali" folder. This is the NEW compiled services.jar classes.dex file. Pull up the 7zip or WinRAR file you had open earlier, delete the current classes.dex file from the services.jar, and place the newly compiled one in it's place.

10. Place the services.jar file back into your ROM, and boot up. You are now running Unthrottled.

11. If you do not see the "Throttle" files, don't complain they're not there, your Dev may have already taken them out.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.
    sprint doesn't, show proof

I've gotten 2.4mb 3g speed while in the middle of a 30gb month. I don't have 4g

Just for those who were wondering....

proof.jpg

This came DIRECTLY from the sprint store... they had this setup on one of the computers in there, and i figured i'd take a pic and show you guys. For those who doubt the "capping" of data services, here's a little "told ya so" lol :p ...nah but seriously, take from this what you will. If you don't want to ungovern, don't. It's entirely up to you :)
    Can you provide the edits or edit my file individually?

Are you comfortable with decompiling? If not, send your services.jar file my way, i don't mind helping out :).
    Are you comfortable with decompiling? If not, send your services.jar file my way, i don't mind helping out :).
    Why not just release the changes. and what files you made those changes to? then we can edit that jar... I am using the latest cm gingerbread builds. so i wouldn't mind testing it.
    Seems this is an unsafe mod...

I recommend you guys use Zeppelinrox's "3g turbocharger" script... IT WORKS.

It WILL increase your 3g performance. I use the piss out of my 3g data and have never noticed a throttle cap...

This one?
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15948434&postcount=1127