Official ICS on A501

Search This thread

RogerCurrier

Jan 6, 2012
Waikanae
Just to let people know, Acer have come to the party and issued ICS version 4.0.3 on the A501 in New Zealand. It installed as a normal update this morning. Mother and child are both doing well!

Feels slightly snappier and of course things are not quite where they used to be but can usually be quickly found.

Now all I have to do is root it to get rid of the rubbish...er sorry Acer, I mean useful add-ons.

Trust this is not old news!

Rog

ub3r21

Jun 24, 2009
Awesome! Any chance of posting a few screenshots?

What version of Android were you running beforehand? I'm still on 3.0.1 and still haven't received the ICS OTA (currently System Update says 4.031.26 is available however I'd like to go straight from 3.0.1 to 4.0.3 if possible) although so far it seems like ICS has only been pushed out to a few people

RogerCurrier

Jan 6, 2012
Waikanae
Awesome! Any chance of posting a few screenshots?

What version of Android were you running beforehand? I'm still on 3.0.1 and still haven't received the ICS OTA (currently System Update says 4.031.26 is available however I'd like to go straight from 3.0.1 to 4.0.3 if possible) although so far it seems like ICS has only been pushed out to a few people

Pretty sure I was running 3.02, suggest it doesn't matter what your previous version is/was. No significant screen differences and I don't think I could manage a screen shot anyway.

Looks like they have updated the GPS configuration file to set it up for parts of the world other than North America which is a great improvement for me.

Guess they will be progressively updating to ICS throughout the world so it will eventually work its way round to you wherever you are.

Rog

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Just to let people know, Acer have come to the party and issued ICS version 4.0.3 on the A501 in New Zealand. It installed as a normal update this morning. Mother and child are both doing well!

Feels slightly snappier and of course things are not quite where they used to be but can usually be quickly found.

Now all I have to do is root it to get rid of the rubbish...er sorry Acer, I mean useful add-ons.

Rog

Which build number did you get? .021?

MD

gfinockio

Aug 23, 2008
Need to find that guide for going back to stock ROM...

Sent from my A501 using Tapatalk 2

DonKroko

Aug 25, 2007
Gdańsk
My Iconia A501 just updated the system in Poland.
ICS 4.0.3
version: 2.6.39.4+
image: Acer_AV041_A501_RV20RC5_WW_GEN5
compilation : Acer_AV041_A501_1.021.00_WW_Gen1

now i'm checking if everything is OK. :victory:

gfinockio

Aug 23, 2008
Is there a way to install this update straight from a custom ROM, or do I need to find a way to roll back to stock?

zardoz99

Jul 26, 2010
Anybody in the UK got it yet on a standard (not grey import) version?

As usual, we are completely in the dark again, thanks to Acer...

Zocker Tko

May 8, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S5
Amazon Fire TV
i got it in germany over ota:laugh:

ACER_A501_401.220.05_EMA_CUS7
size:201,49MB

after update

Modellnummer: A501
Android-Version: 4.0.3
Baseband-Version: Cust:R3C01 Config:R4B01 Conf:R3C01 Protocol:R3B01 App:R3C01
Kernel-Version: 2.6.39.4+
Image-Version: Acer_AV041_A501_RV20RC05_EMEA_DE
Build-Nummer: Acer_AV041_A501_1.021:00_EMEA_DE

all runs fine, im very happy:good:

Reactions: kshfahmy
Jul 16, 2012
Melbourne
Since the update to 4.03, when I use the Swype keyboard I occasionally get a message that the Swype version has the wrong resolution for my device.

Is anyone else using Swype seeing this and does anyone know if it can be "fixed" by uninstalling Swype and reinstalling the Beta?

gfinockio

Aug 23, 2008
Since the update to 4.03, when I use the Swype keyboard I occasionally get a message that the Swype version has the wrong resolution for my device.

Is anyone else using Swype seeing this and does anyone know if it can be "fixed" by uninstalling Swype and reinstalling the Beta?

Uninstall and reinstall. I've seen the same behavior on other devices.

Reactions: Billy Balthorpe

shan

Dec 13, 2004
just got it in Belgium

Hi,
Just to let you know that ICS (4.0.3) is available in Belgium too

D

Deleted member 863777

Grrr ... I was hoping the update would arrive while I was still at home with a nice WiFi connection. Guess what? It's showing up tonight, just after I left for our holidays ... and there's only a measly Edge connection available here.
I even had to trick the A501 into downloading it by connecting it to "WiFi" ... my HTC HD2 ... and I even had to hack that one, the tablet wouldn't pick up the Windows Mobile 6.5's WiFi router signal, so I had to start Android from SD ... downloading the ICS update at 10K/s now.
Hopefully it'll be done by tomorrow morning, but there's no way I could have waited until the end of the holidays :grin:

Robert

dzdimov

Jun 2, 2012
Skopje
Well unleast you received the update. I still heaven't received mine. I'm just too tired of waoting from Acer, this will most definetly be my last acer product

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Rog
    i got it in germany over ota:laugh:

ACER_A501_401.220.05_EMA_CUS7
    size:201,49MB

after update

Modellnummer: A501
    Android-Version: 4.0.3
    Baseband-Version: Cust:R3C01 Config:R4B01 Conf:R3C01 Protocol:R3B01 App:R3C01
    Kernel-Version: 2.6.39.4+
    Image-Version: Acer_AV041_A501_RV20RC05_EMEA_DE
    Build-Nummer: Acer_AV041_A501_1.021:00_EMEA_DE

all runs fine, im very happy:good:

Uninstall and reinstall. I've seen the same behavior on other devices.

It seems people are looking for a list of stock OTA ROMS and also the ICS a501 rom. Well, here's a link to the thread started by blackthund3r.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29820908&postcount=2

Be sure to install a FULL ROM PACKAGE first and then you can apply the UPDATES from his thread.

And BTW, you can flash this from a custom recovery (so long as your BL is unlocked) and it will revert your tablet back to complete stock.

WARNING, Flashing any of these STOCK ROMS will remove root and any custom bootloader and recovery.

Flashing these ROMS will allow you to receive official OTA updates like the JB the A501 should be receiving in the future.
    (Sorry A500 people, no official JB for you.)