FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOW TO]Jtag a HTC Touch Elf(in)

714 posts
Thanks Meter: 23

By captainstu72, Senior Member on 1st April 2010, 01:31 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have searched, and have not found any information that can help me.

I have a touch that the Service Centre want £90 to repair - new motherboard. Is this fixable with a jtag - If so, does the Holly Gates Schematics for a Jtag Dongle work here?

Has anyone successfully JTAG'd an ELF? If so, was it due to a similar circumstance as myself?

Anything I have come across goes to Russian sites - I'm not russian, nor can I read it.

I have seen posts for other devices, but these seem to all be based on a Samsung Chipset, apposed to our OMAP devices?

Any help would be great, even if it is just to go read a post that I have missed when searching.

Stu

10th April 2010, 05:41 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fareham

More
Hey, not sure if anyone would care all to much.

I have found a jtag setup I am curently preparing to use, I am going to hopefully be trying to do this tomorrow. I am working on a guide as I do it - as I haven't been able to find one. If this would be useful to anyone let me know, and I will upload it as soon as I have tested it on my broken elfin to make sure it works!
10th April 2010, 09:08 PM |#3  
Flag Tel Aviv
Thanks Meter: 83

More
Hey mate, we care and keep us posted with any results.

Good luck!
10th April 2010, 10:38 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fareham

More
hey just come into a bit of a stuck point. I have no images to support this.

I am trying to fix the cables to the main board on the jtag points. Aout 5mm wide. I dont really want to solder them on. Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to affix them? I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow when i can.

Stu
11th April 2010, 08:39 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fareham

More
Unable to do pictures today, I will do them tomorrow hopefully on my lunch break, so people can make suggestions.

I am a little scpetical about if this will work. I do not know the history of the device I am tinkering with, but I hope this will fix it.

If anyone has a broken elf they would like to part with for me to test, that would be great (I would pay ofc)
12th April 2010, 08:32 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fareham

More
Pic
Hey,

Please see attached image.

This points out the JTAG test points, labelled to what they do (in theory) and what pin they connect to the JTAG device from the LPT cable.

I think these are very small to be able to tape them on, I also do not think that they would give a good enough connection. I am going to try to solder the cables on tonight - but in the mean time, if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to let me know. Any ideas are good!

Stu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elf Jtag Test Points.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	307831  
12th April 2010, 08:44 AM |#7  
Flag Surabaya - Hero City
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thumbs up
Hi captainstu72,

I have a completely dead HTC Touch P3450. Really dead. Even when I plug the charger to the device, the orange light (as a sign that the phone is charging now) can not light on.

A service man asked me to replace the machine for USD 80, as he said we can not do j-tag to HTC ELF

Your thread is very exciting. Please keep posting, I'll follow this thread.

Thanks
12th April 2010, 12:59 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fareham

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombom81

Hi captainstu72,

I have a completely dead HTC Touch P3450. Really dead. Even when I plug the charger to the device, the orange light (as a sign that the phone is charging now) can not light on.

A service man asked me to replace the machine for USD 80, as he said we can not do j-tag to HTC ELF

Your thread is very exciting. Please keep posting, I'll follow this thread.

Thanks

Hey bombom81,

I'm glad this can be useful for others. I just want to make sure that people don't get their hopes up too soon, thats the thing, I don't know if it is definately able to work, but I know it has been done on other phones with a very similar chipset to ours.

If I have any major break through tonight, I will definately be doing a write up on it tomorrow in my lunch, and If you'd like I can PM you when done so you can give it ago.

Your ELF sounds as though it is in a similar state to mine, so hopefully, if I get this fixed, it may well work on yours!

Stu
13th April 2010, 01:28 AM |#9  
Flag Surabaya - Hero City
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstu72

Hey bombom81,

I'm glad this can be useful for others. I just want to make sure that people don't get their hopes up too soon, thats the thing, I don't know if it is definately able to work, but I know it has been done on other phones with a very similar chipset to ours.

If I have any major break through tonight, I will definately be doing a write up on it tomorrow in my lunch, and If you'd like I can PM you when done so you can give it ago.

Your ELF sounds as though it is in a similar state to mine, so hopefully, if I get this fixed, it may well work on yours!

Stu

Yes..I had this problem months ago and I've made a thread for it :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=582913

Unfortunately, every suggestions I got from people here didn't work in my device. And I could not even claim a warranty for it as the seller said that the product warranty is already expired too long ago (in the end I knew that the product was his present from his office, and when he said it is new, means that, It is new because He never used it...LOL, not "new" from the factory). So I just keep it in my cupboard.

I think It will be more valuable for others if we discuss here, on your thread, than PM, as I think there are many people are having the same problem like us (as many as I can find after I google "Repair Totally Dead ELF" )

Please, kindly also check this thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=602233
This guy also found a similar thing like yours. I actually don't know a thing about JTAG. In the future, please forgive me if I might ask you some questions about it and I hope you don't mind about my questions.

Thanks for your kind to share your experience with us, I'll keep watching this thread and hopefully you'll be success with your experiment so it can bring the joy for all of us.

Best Regards,
Bom81
13th April 2010, 08:10 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fareham

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombom81

Yes..I had this problem months ago and I've made a thread for it :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=582913

Unfortunately, every suggestions I got from people here didn't work in my device. And I could not even claim a warranty for it as the seller said that the product warranty is already expired too long ago (in the end I knew that the product was his present from his office, and when he said it is new, means that, It is new because He never used it...LOL, not "new" from the factory). So I just keep it in my cupboard.

I think It will be more valuable for others if we discuss here, on your thread, than PM, as I think there are many people are having the same problem like us (as many as I can find after I google "Repair Totally Dead ELF" )

Please, kindly also check this thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=602233
This guy also found a similar thing like yours. I actually don't know a thing about JTAG. In the future, please forgive me if I might ask you some questions about it and I hope you don't mind about my questions.

Thanks for your kind to share your experience with us, I'll keep watching this thread and hopefully you'll be success with your experiment so it can bring the joy for all of us.

Best Regards,
Bom81

Hey,

Likewise, every suggestion I could find had no luck, which I why I decided to dig deeper.

I did come across GallegoT's thread, however, I sent him a PM to see if he had got anything sorted, but I have never heard back - So I created a new one.

I was going to keep this thread posted, don't worry, I was only going to PM you when it was finished - to save you keep checking it

Had a few issues with it last night, tried soldering to the board, but my soldering iron doesn't get hot enough, hasn't got a thin enough tip, and my hands weren't steady enough - Also the wires I was using were fairly wide, I have swapped these for a thinner Kynar wire, and will more then likely be remaking the whole of my setup to make it easier.

Just so you have an idea - I currently have an LPT (male to male) cable which I have taken the end off, and soldered wires to 2 3 4 6 11 and 18-25. 18-25 link then into one wire, as this is to ground the device. 2 3 4 6 and 11 are connected to 100Ω resistors each. These are then connected to wires, which are ready to be connected to the device.

Thats the basics of the device - I do not have an image of what I have planned out avaliable, but you can get the idea of it from what is in this post, and using my image posted earlier.

Maybe you guys have better tools - soldering equipment etc then I do.

When this is done you need to run a program called HJtag, and NoIce. I have an idea on what to do for these, however, I have not tested it yet to want to post it on here.

Like I have said though, I will be making a guide that is as full as I can.

I will try some more tonight, to get the cables connected, and hopefully then will be able to give the whole process a go.

Thanks for your interest in this thread, even if I only manage to help one person, at least then I feel as though I will be giving something back to the community on this site.

(I'll point out now - I did not have a clue about Jtag before now - but I also have some links I will post which make some interesting reading!)

Stu
14th April 2010, 08:40 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fareham

More
Hey to anyone who is still watching this.

I have just got my elfin all wired up, ready to go, circuit is fully continuous and there are no bridges (I haven't soldered for more then 8 years!)

However, I have been a bit stupid, my pc doesn't have a parallel port. I'm going to buy one tomorrow and get going - very annoyed about this set back, i'm such an idiot for not checking!

I'll try it tomorrow night hopefully, worst case would be friday/saturday - A long time since starting this projct, but my hopes are high and I really hope I can help some of you guys out there!

Just thought I should update you all, I don't want this thread to become dead... like our elfs :P

Stu
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bricked, dead, elf, jtag, touch

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)