[MODEMS][CM7/MIUI/ICS]Nexus S Radios KB3 and KF1 for Captivate

Search This thread

eddie85u

Mar 27, 2012
Bogotham
Tried all three, even flashed kf1 a few times, wiping cache and without wiping cache, and while I do get a signal and calls are ok, data signal will only show a G (edge?) and download/upload speeds were 0.02Mb both. I'm on a 850 carrier.

XeoNoX

Oct 25, 2010
ive been getting great signal on ATT with my TLJL3 modem on my captivate using CM9

scythekain

Mar 16, 2012
Bellevue
ive been getting great signal on ATT with my TLJL3 modem on my captivate using CM9

how's the voice quality?

The advantage of the KF1 and KB3 especially in any semi-noisy environments becomes readily apparent. With most of the other modems I've tried, people on the other side simply can't hear me. And speaker phone? you may as well forget it with the other modems I've tried.

I get horrible data on KF1 as well, even though it shows a 3G/H it gives me download speeds at 300K. The KB3 gives better download speeds (about 4000K), but skips Edge and goes straight to G when it loses the 3G/H signal. On G, I get download speeds of about 28K. You are better off waiting for ice to melt on the counter than waiting for a web page to load on G.

proper69

Dec 7, 2010
Is kj1 850 band? I have great signal with it and need 850 band. It also has nice voice quality when I left a voicemail for a friend.

Does anyone have a link for the Samsung galaxy service mode so I can check? Or is there another way to check what band I'm on in ics?currently on aokp 37

Sent from my SGH-I897

sa1yan

Jan 1, 2009
Texas
I've tried all sorts of things and can't get 850 band working. Sorry, its the only thing that keeps me from using these modems :(

Koizuma

Account currently disabled
Jun 6, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
OnePlus 7T
OnePlus 9
Tried all three, even flashed kf1 a few times, wiping cache and without wiping cache, and while I do get a signal and calls are ok, data signal will only show a G (edge?) and download/upload speeds were 0.02Mb both. I'm on a 850 carrier.

G = GPRS
E = Edge

GPRS is the slowest of the slow when it comes to internet connection it is about equivalent tyo a 2G connection speed.

GPRS (2G)
Edge (2.5G)

then u got 3G and up

scythekain

Mar 16, 2012
Bellevue

I'm having the same issue now after flashing the 6/14 nightly CM9. Used to be able to flash KF1 -> KB3 and have no issues. now any of these nexus modems I flash I'm stuck on "G" network.

I checked my network (*#*#0011#*#*) it looks like the correct frequencies are being used for E/3G/H, but it's not using the higher data stream. Flashing my other tried and true modems (JK4 / KG3) the data works fine. KG3 switches the best between the best available band, but the voice quality in speaker phone or in a noisy environment is absolutely horrible.

:(

I wish there was a modem that combined the data side of KG3 with the voice quality of one of these nexus modems.

gratian556

Feb 1, 2009
Is kj1 850 band? I have great signal with it and need 850 band. It also has nice voice quality when I left a voicemail for a friend.

Does anyone have a link for the Samsung galaxy service mode so I can check? Or is there another way to check what band I'm on in ics?currently on aokp 37

Sent from my SGH-I897

here you go

Attachments

• SamsungServiceMode.apk
    12 KB · Views: 95

sa1yan

Jan 1, 2009
Texas
I'm having the same issue now after flashing the 6/14 nightly CM9. Used to be able to flash KF1 -> KB3 and have no issues. now any of these nexus modems I flash I'm stuck on "G" network.

I checked my network (*#*#0011#*#*) it looks like the correct frequencies are being used for E/3G/H, but it's not using the higher data stream. Flashing my other tried and true modems (JK4 / KG3) the data works fine. KG3 switches the best between the best available band, but the voice quality in speaker phone or in a noisy environment is absolutely horrible.

:(

I wish there was a modem that combined the data side of KG3 with the voice quality of one of these nexus modems.

I agree. If only these had 850 working, these modems would be legendary. I think enabling 850 would have to be kernel side. Or something to do with ril. I have no idea.

sulaimanz

Sep 9, 2009
London
Devils kernel is one of the solution

I agree. If only these had 850 working, these modems would be legendary. I think enabling 850 would have to be kernel side. Or something to do with ril. I have no idea.

I have installed latest CM9 nightly and devil’s latest kernel. Works flawless. Hence, I would suggest installing devil’s kernel to work with these modems.

cnu4u

Feb 14, 2011
Hey, I see new modem for nexus s I9020AUCLH1. Is it compatible with captivate? If so, can someone post flashable zip? Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda app-developers app

mx828

Sep 29, 2012
So I thought i would test these modems to see which would be the best and i got 1680.6 kb/s download, 295.6 upload, and 244.2 ms ping with KJ1 modem. The KF1 modem gave me slower download and upload speeds compared to KJ1. I used speedtest.net app, and the results are averages after testing speeds five times on each modem. However i found that the stock i9000Ugk3 cm10.1 modem is faster in upload speeds(498 kb/s) and quicker in ping time(120ms). My gps also took a second or two longer to lock on then with the stock I9000 ugk3 modem.

P.S. In all my tests, the cappy had 2 bars of signal and the tests were conducted in the same exact place. With my phone connected to the server in Aurora, IL for speedtest app for all modems.

Questions? Comments? Concerns?

xnakeg

Aug 5, 2010
cartagena
How bout battery drain with those radios ... I'm using kf1 this week and last like 15hrs just WiFi bcuz I don't use data ... Can u upload the kj1 ? I have great upload but download speed is not so good thanks ... ... Also in call sound its very good

cnu4u

Feb 14, 2011
How bout battery drain with those radios ... I'm using kf1 this week and last like 15hrs just WiFi bcuz I don't use data ... Can u upload the kj1 ? I have great upload but download speed is not so good thanks ... ... Also in call sound its very good

I have kj1 zip. Not sure if I can attach here.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WOOT FRONT PAGE! http://www.xda-developers.com/android/samsung-galaxy-s-may-benefit-from-nexus-s-radio/

Alright, I just discovered something awesome.

So I found out that the Nexus S radios are indeed compatible with our device. I downloaded some of the hot radios for the Nexus S (KB3 and KF1) and opened them up and found that the Nexus S uses radios (similar to how the captivate uses modems). So I just renamed the radio.img from the Nexus S radios to modem.bin, placed it in an existing cm7 modem package and flashed it via CWM (ICS).

I reboot and get a constant 5 bars of signal. My signal hasn't dropped from this 5 bars of signal in the last 10 hours (usually it fluctuates from 5 to 3 bars). HSDPA speeds are pretty fast as well. I got speeds of 560 kb/s DL at 3 bars of signal and 140 kb/s Upload. I've never ever gotten that high speeds.

Moreover, the call quality is just amazing. When I used it, the quality is crisp and nice, almost perfect. It seems as if the voice is exemplified over the background crap so that you can actually hear the person. Idk, it was a magical experience for me :p.

Screenie:
    s0IbX1MV

The second row on that picture was the speeds I was getting with KF1 (Nexus S). Moreover, I noticed something interesting; that when I wasn't actually downloading or using data, the data indicator switched to "3G". However, when I started using my data, it automatically switched to "H". Something I thought was kinda cool.
    Service Mode: *#*#197328640#*#* or *#*#0011#*#*

Anyways, here are the download links for the modems (already packaged with the nexus s radios of course). Just flash in CWM with a CM7, MIUI, or ICS Rom and you should be good to go. IMPORTANT: DONT FLASH THIS WHILE PLUGGED IN. YOU WILL NOT GET SIGNAL
    If having problems, try wiping cache before flashing the modem!

Original Nexus S Radio Link

I9020a KF1 Radio<----What I use
    Mirror KF1

I9020a KJ1 Radio (Latest)

I9020 XXKB3 Radio
    Mirror KB3
    Mind posting a link to a flashable package for KP1? Thank You.

Usually get all my modems from this site http://soggycashew.weebly.com/cm7miui--ics-modems.html The site also has a great map that people can post how different modems work in their area.
    KF1 http://www.mediafire.com/?msorla5h0md2guz

KB3 http://www.mediafire.com/?bb067y1abda4y3x

I have had really great results in San Jose California with KB3. I'll upload my speedtest results later.
    KF1 http://www.mediafire.com/?msorla5h0md2guz

KB3 http://www.mediafire.com/?bb067y1abda4y3x

I have had really great results in San Jose California with KB3. I'll upload my speedtest results later.

Thanks so much dude I actually live in san Joaquin! lol =)

LOL wow 2 days without sleep is getting to me i though you said san joaquin...

I just insatlled it i have no bars, mobile netowrk type gprs:1, service state:eek:ut of service, signal strength: -111 dbm 1 asu

---------- Post added at 05:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 AM ----------

Just thought ide post this running KH2 i896 modem in san joaquin califronia i gte an average of 3-4 bars

I just ran both of them and had the same results, no bars, no service. Gone back to trusty old JK4