CM & AOSP bug, Willing to pay for fix

Search This thread

ahjee

Mar 24, 2010
So just about every single CM and AOSP rom share this one small bug that most users probably don't care about at all but I on the other hand cannot stand this bug and it is a deal breaker for me. This bug, is the rom not being able to remain powered off when plugged in for charging. For some reason every rom, once plugged in to charge will power itself back on if powered down to charge, no matter what you do...you can power it down, then plug it in to charge and it will power back on OR you can try plugging it in while on and powering down while already in and charging but it still just boots itself back on. For me this is a deal breaker and its a shame because we have so many great roms that other than this issue run amazing. Of all the roms i have tried I have found one rom that will actually remain powered off when charging and that is Vanir and Commotio.
If a developer can find a fix and be willing to share this fix with the dev community so all roms my use it I would be more than happy to throw money into their PayPal account. I am no sure what amount of money would be worth doing this but if a dev is willing to take this on, give me an idea of what you think is a fair payment and i will do my best to pay you.

MODS- if this thread is unacceptable please trash it.

I just really want all CM and AOSP roms to be able to charge while powered down!

Also, I would be willing to pay $50 bucks to the dev who can fix and share this.
I'd also like to share that i have noticed it is not just Vanir rom, it is the kernel baked into their roms, if i flash a custom kernel other than that of the one baked into their rom the function of charging whle remaining powered down no longer works, soo that leaves me knowing that it is kernel related.

Last edited:
Reactions: leomd333

leomd333

Feb 20, 2013
So just about every single CM and AOSP rom share this one small bug that most users probably don't care about at all but I on the other hand cannot stand this bug and it is a deal breaker for me. This bug, is the rom not being able to remain powered off when plugged in for charging. For some reason every rom, once plugged in to charge will power itself back on if powered down to charge, no matter what you do...you can power it down, then plug it in to charge and it will power back on OR you can try plugging it in while on and powering down while already in and charging but it still just boots itself back on. For me this is a deal breaker and its a shame because we have so many great roms that other than this issue run amazing. Of all the roms i have tried I have found one rom that will actually remain powered off when charging and that is Vanir and Commotio.
If a developer can find a fix and be willing to share this fix with the dev community so all roms my use it I would be more than happy to throw money into their PayPal account. I am no sure what amount of money would be worth doing this but if a dev is willing to take this on, give me an idea of what you think is a fair payment and i will do my best to pay you.

I just really want all CM and AOSP roms to be able to charge while powered down!

Someone else it annoys! :D it annoys me too, but i had the issue on my Note aswell, im not sure how it can be fixed. Its either a recovery or kernel problem.

B

bachera

learn how to code, create a togle from settings battery: do not turn on phone when off and on charger ;)

contribute its fun

granted I tried but failed

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda app-developers app

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I don't think this is a ROM issue. If the phone is completely shut down, the ROM isn't even loaded yet. It would be the bootloader, kernel, or some very low level code that turns it on. Possibly designed like this for fixing bricked phones or phones without buttons or broken buttons and unable to turn on otherwise.

Honestly I never even turn my phone off. Not sure why you'd want to keep your phone off for 8 hours but regardless I don't see this happening.

Reactions: leomd333

ahjee

Mar 24, 2010
I don't think this is a ROM issue. If the phone is completely shut down, the ROM isn't even loaded yet. It would be the bootloader, kernel, or some very low level code that turns it on. Possibly designed like this for fixing bricked phones or phones without buttons or broken buttons and unable to turn on otherwise.

Honestly I never even turn my phone off. Not sure why you'd want to keep your phone off for 8 hours but regardless I don't see this happening.

like i said, with all android phones i have had, i always get a better life span meanng daily and over all life span when i charge the phone while off, it is also something i just all and all prefer to do, the reasons arent really of anyones concerns but my own.
i am asking devs if they can find a fix, cause i know Vanir roms are capable of charging while powered down but for some reason all other AOSP and CM based roms don't so figure this is a possible fix if a dev decides to tackle it.

I don't have a linux os so i do not have a development environment so i cant do it

ahjee

Mar 24, 2010
So it charges while off when using Vanir? Why not just use a Vanir rom and be done with it?

Isn't Vanir AOSP based?

because other roms are also very good roms and maybe the developer would like it to charge powered down as well or because i am sure there is other users who would the dev would like to make his rom be able to. It isn't just about me, i posted this so the dev community would be aware this issue exists in case they havent or with hopes that a dev who knows a fix would share so that every dev and their rom could benefit.

being that everyone seems so concerned with this thread i am suggesting a mod remove it.

I was simply offering money to a dev or devs who could possibly find a share a fix for the community

If i had any knowledge in code and source and all that i would try and tackle this issue but i do not and i also do not have a building environment to try and learn so all i can do is ask and offer.

People on XDA, i am unsure why everyone has this attitude like they are somebody.

I do not believe i have done any wrong by starting this thread, it was a simple request with me willing to pay because i would like to see all roms run perfect as though they should.

Reactions: Sean473

souleman

Aug 9, 2010
Montrose, MI
You haven't done anything wrong. Some people just feel the need to be critical about everything.

Let me get this right.. If you have the phone completely turned off, and then plug it in, it will turn on and boot up? I am running rooted stock on my G2, but have CM on an evo and have no problem with turning the phone off when plugged in, or with plugging it in when the phone is turned off, and keeping it off.

I never turn off my phone. Only time it's off is when I am rebooting into recovery for flashing or whatever... But I have to agree with the previous comment... When the phone is powered off, the rom isn't loaded, so it seems like it would be something else causing the issue. So it's really strange that only some ROMs would force it to turn on, and others wouldn't.

ahjee

Mar 24, 2010
Was Vanir vs CM the only variable you found? Its the same recovery build and same kernel being used on both? Or is Vanir prepackaged with another kernel than CM?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Yeah vanir is the only one but as far as I know they use the CM kernel and I use the same recovery for the flashing of all ROMs

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I'm thinking Vanir has to come with a unique kernel of their own.

And for the record I am not knocking the desire to have this feature, just trying to figure out the reasoning it works on some but not others. I really don't think it is a rom issue but a kernel issue. The GOOD news is you can CONFIRM that it works on the LG G2 using the Vanir rom, then the best place to start your quest is talking to that dev who makes that rom.

Also I would update the OP with a bounty listed. $20? $50? Dollar signs will get you noticed faster. Wish you luck on your journey.

Dick Ripple

Jul 24, 2010
Memphis
I'm running CM11 and my phone charges while powered down. When I plug it up it will vibrate and show the LG splash screen, then it shows a battery icon with the battery percentage. The same thing that happens while on stock.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using xda app-developers app

leomd333

Feb 20, 2013
I'm running CM11 and my phone charges while powered down. When I plug it up it will vibrate and show the LG splash screen, then it shows a battery icon with the battery percentage. The same thing that happens while on stock.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using xda app-developers app

Yeah it does start charging when its off for about 2 minutes. Then it powers on haha

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Im very curious as to what actually causes this, it happened to my note aswell on nearly all custom roms. I have a feeling it is a kernel, boot loader or a recovery thing that is causing this issue. The fact that it is on other devices other than the G2 either suggest's that this is supposed to happen, or it is incredibly hard to pinpoint and fix.

B

bachera

this is answered in omnirom thread.

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda app-developers app

joemagistro

Jan 27, 2011
This is it? Really? I thought you would want a more important bug fixed, such as random reboots.. You know something that actually effects your phone while you're USING it... Smh lol

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

ahjee

Mar 24, 2010
I have noticed it is not so much Vanir rom but the kernel baked in, if i switched to another kernel then the function of charging while powered down stops working, so if anyone was looking into this i can tell you that it is kernel related...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Also, I would be willing to pay $50 bucks to the dev who can fix and share this.
    I'd also like to share that i have noticed it is not just Vanir rom, it is the kernel baked into their roms, if i flash a custom kernel other than that of the one baked into their rom the function of charging whle remaining powered down no longer works, soo that leaves me knowing that it is kernel related.
    Why?
    Why you need the phone to be off?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

From my experience s charge lasts longer when you charge the phone off also it charges cooler therefore helping the batteries life span last longer

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

So it charges while off when using Vanir? Why not just use a Vanir rom and be done with it?

Isn't Vanir AOSP based?

Isn't Vanir AOSP based?

because other roms are also very good roms and maybe the developer would like it to charge powered down as well or because i am sure there is other users who would the dev would like to make his rom be able to. It isn't just about me, i posted this so the dev community would be aware this issue exists in case they havent or with hopes that a dev who knows a fix would share so that every dev and their rom could benefit.

being that everyone seems so concerned with this thread i am suggesting a mod remove it.

I was simply offering money to a dev or devs who could possibly find a share a fix for the community

If i had any knowledge in code and source and all that i would try and tackle this issue but i do not and i also do not have a building environment to try and learn so all i can do is ask and offer.

People on XDA, i am unsure why everyone has this attitude like they are somebody.

I do not believe i have done any wrong by starting this thread, it was a simple request with me willing to pay because i would like to see all roms run perfect as though they should.