Best Ways to Use the Smart Key

Search This thread

XDARoni

XDA Community Manager
It's pretty standard for any good smartphone to come with a fingerprint scanner these days. The Honor 8 has a fingerprint scanner with an extra feature. If you press on the sensor, you'll feel it click much like the button on a refrigerator would if refrigerators had buttons. You can assign custom actions to this button for press, double press and press and hold.
Screenshot_2016-08-22-19-11-27.pngScreenshot_2016-08-22-19-11-36.pngScreenshot_2016-08-22-19-11-53.png

To get started, go to your smart assistance menu and select smart key.

Here the setup process will be obvious so I'll skip that and let you know what I've been using the smart key for.

One Press activates my flashlight. I often go for a walk around the woods at night and I need to be able to see what's going on without fumbling around with my phone too much. Smart key is a perfect solution.

Double Press is set to open Snapchat simply because it's the app I use most often. It's common to have a shortcut button to your camera app but now I can launch straight into Snapchat.

Press and Hold is set to launch my Google Driving app. This app will automatically start navigating home when you launch it. So when I'm driving, all I have to do it press one button on my phone to start the navigation back to my house. I don't even have to look at my phone screen.

What are you using Smart Key for?

Last edited:

PalakMi

Aug 18, 2016
Oujda
It's pretty standard for any good smartphone to come with a fingerprint scanner these days. The Honor 8 has a fingerprint scanner with an extra feature. If you press on the sensor, you'll feel it click much like the button on a refrigerator would if refrigerators had buttons. You can assign custom actions to this button for press, double press and press and hold.

Here the setup process will be obvious so I'll skip that and let you know what I've been using the smart key for.

One Press activates my flashlight. I often go for a walk around the woods at night and more often than not there are bears and wolves running around. I need to be able to see what's going on without lighting up my face by turning my screen on. Now I can just tap on the smart key and have an advantage when I have to fist fight a bear.

Double Press is set to open Snapchat simply because it's the app I use most often. It's common to have a shortcut button to your camera app but now I can launch straight into Snapchat.

Press and Hold is set to launch my Google Driving app. This app will automatically start navigating home when you launch it. So when I'm driving, all I have to do it press one button on my phone to start the navigation back to my house. I don't even have to look at my phone screen. It's much safer and I've found that I run over way less people this way.

I would use it for flashlight, maps and Twitter

ouardo

Jul 18, 2014
dO9gcUD.jpg

View attachment 3851194View attachment 3851195View attachment 3851196

uG79ywY.jpg

One Press activates my flashlight. I often go for a walk around the woods at night and more often than not there are bears and wolves running around. I need to be able to see what's going on without lighting up my face by turning my screen on. Now I can just tap on the smart key and have an advantage when I have to fist fight a bear.

Press and Hold is set to launch my Google Driving app. This app will automatically start navigating home when you launch it. So when I'm driving, all I have to do it press one button on my phone to start the navigation back to my house. I don't even have to look at my phone screen. It's much safer and I've found that I run over way less people this way.

Irony is always welcomed, in every topic. Keep on

nCoder

Mar 22, 2006
Dublin
Would like to set the single click to go to Home Screen, but cannot find the Huawei Laucher in the list of apps (I'm giving it a try to the default launcher before going back to Google laucher).
My Double Click is Camera and Long Press Google Now

Reactions: pointt

PalakMi

Aug 18, 2016
Oujda
Would like to set the single click to go to Home Screen, but cannot find the Huawei Laucher in the list of apps (I'm giving it a try to the default launcher before going back to Google laucher).
Why putting a single click for home screen?! Home button is there, I will use it for flashlight

rajesh8991

Sep 15, 2014
Hyderabad
View attachment 3851194View attachment 3851195View attachment 3851196

One Press activates my flashlight. I often go for a walk around the woods at night and I need to be able to see what's going on without fumbling around with my phone too much. Smart key is a perfect solution.

Press and Hold is set to launch my Google Driving app. This app will automatically start navigating home when you launch it. So when I'm driving, all I have to do it press one button on my phone to start the navigation back to my house. I don't even have to look at my phone screen.

really an awesome feature...but if someone wants to do this with his phone...
1. root your phone...
2. Install xposed installer(experimental recommended)
3. open xposed and install framework
4. goto downloads and download "physical keys mapping"
5.activate the module and reboot...
6.open physical key mapping..
7.set it up...
8.enjoy...
#you can use these keys even when your phone locked

MOUSEY

May 23, 2006
There is also another use of the Smart Key to pull down notification shade, clear them as well as to navigate while using gallery app.

It's under Settings -> Fingerprint ID

With those features, it seems like the button can be used for navigation as well. I sure wish someone can write an app to customize it as a back button :)

MaoDiggyMao

Sep 23, 2016
Coventry
one press: google
two press: camera
long press: torch

I would really like one press to be the home button though ,hold habits die hard as they say but the placement of the button is perfect, is there perhaps an app I could download to do this?

vsriram92

Dec 27, 2014
chennai
Good information.

Rather than using the Fingerprint sensor solely for its purpose, its using it to provide more functions to interact with the device intuitively.
That's where the Honor stands out

Reactions: PalakMi

salihss

Oct 24, 2016
I wish they could bring an update to slide the page up down on chrome, surfing the web or sliding up or down on twitter app. It would be great

Reactions: FSBRUSSIA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Screenshot_2016-08-22-19-11-27.pngScreenshot_2016-08-22-19-11-36.pngScreenshot_2016-08-22-19-11-53.png

One press - Pokemon Go

Two press - Dominos

Three - Directions to MacDonalds
    Good information.

Rather than using the Fingerprint sensor solely for its purpose, its using it to provide more functions to interact with the device intuitively.
    That's where the Honor stands out
    I wish they could bring an update to slide the page up down on chrome, surfing the web or sliding up or down on twitter app. It would be great