Kernel Comparison (Battery Life and Performance)

Search This thread

loryb84

Nov 4, 2010
Okay, thanks for the info

To put this even a step further:
what would be the best way to measure the drain on idle using different kernels?

I guess airplane mode with all syncing off on a clean ROM (like Cassie's XtraLight) and then measuring battery drain. In the deep sleep state, does the kernel have any impact on the battery? Or is the winner the one that deep sleeps the most?

I think your method would be ok but it's a long test if you want accurate results..I haven't done it yet but I think results would be similar for each kernel.
More deep sleep causes less cpu usage and of course less battery drain.

kanwal.diku

Jan 24, 2012
amazing info man... was very doubtful of the abyss kernel since started using it.. but now i am fine knowing that it really drains the same battery as i sgiven in your tests

orificium

Mar 13, 2007
I'm running stock GT-N7000 (Made in China). UBKK2.

In Quadrant - I mostly get around 3300-3600. But I've seen as high as 4416.

Why is the FPS information clipped at the bottom of the screen in Quadrant?

In Antutu - I got a 6508 total score.

SpecialStar

Jan 28, 2012
Nice test dude ;)

I have just the 3.6 AbyssKernel and reach the most points in Quadrant and Antutu :)

There's just one question in my mind:

How do the AbyssKernel reach MORE points even if the SpeedKernel is mostly faster than AbyssKernel?

Nelthalin

Mar 30, 2010
Good info here! Thanks for sharing :)
SpeedKernel is efficient but also the slower in most tests (compared to abyssnote)
I'm currently running 3.7 it runs well so far. But i was already wondering how it would do vs other kernels :)

sharkonland

Jul 15, 2010
NYC
WOW. Extremely useful thread, cant believe i didnt find it earlier, would have saved me a lot of time and headache. Here's my take on the kernels based on my own observations :

CF-root: Very responsive and smooth, Very good battery life
FM 2.0: Very fast, almost very good battery life,
Abyss3.4-3.5: Super fast but not the smoothest. Good battery life
Speedmod: Fast and good battery life.

Overall for me after using all the good kernels out there, CF-root is the best. Exceptional battery life and super smooth. Also highly reliable. FM for me is #2 then speed and abyss.

zax2003

Nov 28, 2010
Hi guys. Im on Darky 3.1, with Speedmod K1-5. I have 3 days of battery life and still 10% of battery on moderate use.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1328730493921.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1328730493921.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 203

loryb84

Nov 4, 2010
thank you for appreciating the tests.
now I'm testing the new franco kernel.i've just added some results,all the other results soon.
And later when I'll have enough free time I'll take governor tests too

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, I did some tests to compare custom kernels battery usage and performance.
    To evaluate the performance I used antutu benchmark(best of 4 runs),realPi (best result of 5 runs) and CF bench (best result of 3 runs)

I'm running Checkrom v5.

I used the latest version of the kernel:

abyssnote: 3.5c
    Speedmod: k1-3
    cfroot: 5.0
    Fm: v 2.0
    Franco Kernel

I used the kernels as they are downloaded and installed..without overclocking,or anything else,unchanged governor.

To evaluate battery life I did a test by my own: running stability test v2.0 for 20 minutes and look at battery %.
    Then I also did real life tests.
    Here's the results

------------------------------------

BATTERY TEST:

stability test (20 minutes)

-Speed kernel used 12% of battery
    -CFroot kernel used 12% of battery
    -Abyss kernel used 18% of battery
    -Fm kernel used 20% of battery
    -Franco kernel used 10% of battery

gps tracking usage

Using oruxmaps,screen always on at min. brightness,gps recording every second,phone on the desk.
    I compared cf root kernel,speed kernel and AbyssKernel

Results:

SpeedKernel ---> 6% battery drain in 45 minutes of recording (at 30 minutes 4%)
    CFroot ---> 6% battery drain in 30 minutes of recording
    AbyssKernel ---> 5% battery drain in 30 minutes
    FmKernel ---> 5% battery drain in 30 minutes
    franco kernel ---> 5% battery drain in 30 minutes (8% at 45 minutes)

web browsing

test done using stock browser,wifi,minimum brightness and visited the same sites(various contents:flash,java,static pages)

Speedkernel ---> 8% battery drain in 30 minutes of browsing (1 hour--->16%)
    CFroot ---> 10% battery drain in 30 minutes of browsing (1 hour --> 21%)
    AbyssKernel ----> 10% battery drain in 33 minutes of browsing( 1 hour---->19%)
    FmKernel ----> 10% battery drain in 31 minutes of browsing( 1 hour---->20%)
    Franco Kernel ----> 10% battery drain in 30 minutes of browsing( 1 hour---->20%)

-----------------------------------------------------------

BROWSER COMPARISON

I was trying Opera browser..and I compared it with stock browser about battery life and using FM kernel.

Stock browser---> 10 % of battery in 31 minutes of browsing

Opera browser----> 7 % of battery in 30 minutes

------------------------------------------------------------

BENCHMARK TEST

Speed Kernel:||Antutu: 5028 || Quadrant(after 3 runs): 4458 || RealPi(100000 digits):20.94 s || CF bench: 7342

CF Kernel ||Antutu: 6771 || Quadrant(after 3 runs): 4920 || RealPi(100000 digits):20.46 s || CF bench: 7147

Abyss Kernel:||Antutu: 6902 || Quadrant(after 3 runs): 5000 || RealPi(100000 digits):20.42 s || CF bench: 7360

Fm Kernel:||Antutu: 6847 || Quadrant(after 3 runs): 4906 || RealPi(100000 digits):20.60 s || CF bench: 7131

Franco Kernel:||Antutu: 6866 || Quadrant(after 3 runs): 6041 || RealPi(100000 digits):20.59 s || CF bench: 7049

-----------------------------------------------------------

BOOT TIME

Tested several reboots with each kernel.. and measured with a stopwatch the thimes between:

A - From Samsung boot logo ----> to little vibration
    B - From Samsung boot logo----> to lock screen

Results

SpeedKernel ---> A: 19 seconds -- B: 26 seconds
    CFroot ---> A: 22 seconds -- B: 29 seconds
    AbyssKernel ---> A: 22 seconds -- B: 26 seconds
    FmKernel ---> A: 28 seconds -- B: 39 seconds
    Franco Kernel ---> A: 18 seconds -- B: 25 seconds
    I tried the latest version of the kernel:
    abyssnote: 3.5c
    Speedmod: k1-3
    cfroot: 5.0
    Fm: v 2.0

I did battery tests in the same condition: airplane mode with no connections.
    All the tests done without overclock and uv..just used the kernels as they are.

I'd like to do real life battery tests too like wifi browsing and gps tracking..i'll try soon..
    added web browsing test result