Headphones for Sony Xperia S

Search This thread

Cholek3

Aug 11, 2010
Sheffield, UK
Hi all,

Some of you know, that new Sony Xperia (2012) line phones use CTIA 3.5mm standard (basically same as Apple's iPhone). I have seen some phone reviews and noticed, that standard headset is in one piece, you cannot disconnect headphones. I am looking for headset, where you can unplug headphones and connect better ones, and of course it has to work with new Xperia S.

Something like we had with Xperia X10:

Link removed ~~bitpushr

Difference between CTIA (Xperia S) and OMTP standard:

OMTP+vs+CTIA.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Cholek3

Aug 11, 2010
Sheffield, UK
Thanks for an advice.:) I checked it somewhere else and it has got rather avarage reviews, apparently cable and clip keep breaking. Do you have one, so you could confirm?

awf

May 9, 2008
Yeah, why not. Not only for me, you could post something for others as well.:) I have MW600, but I am not a big fan of listening music over bluetooth.

In the car it's convenient (not only music) and I always have a quarrel with the wire lol
I never can resist an offer when it's free lol

shmoejoe

Jan 9, 2011
Zuid-Holland
In the car it's convenient (not only music) and I always have a quarrel with the wire lol
I never can resist an offer when it's free lol

I also have the MW600, and I preordered my Xperia S with that free bluetooth headset as well...

I'm curious if it's any better, if not I may just resell the freebie one :p I have had my MW600 for awhile, and I have yet to find better :cool:

RiotRick

Sep 26, 2006
Netherlands
You realize the mw600 won't work right on the xperia s if you just plug it in?

Sony changed the headset standard, to be compatible with the more widely used ctia standard (same as iphone). The pins are connected differently:

OMTP+vs+CTIA.JPG

You can offcourse buy an adapter cable so that it will work.

shmoejoe

Jan 9, 2011
Zuid-Holland
You realize the mw600 won't work right on the xperia s if you just plug it in?

Sony changed the headset standard, to be compatible with the more widely used ctia standard (same as iphone). The pins are connected differently:

OMTP+vs+CTIA.JPG

You can offcourse buy an adapter cable so that it will work.

you cant plug the MW600 into anything, its a stand alone bluetooth device that you can plug your headphones into. Unless you mean the headphones that might come with the Xperia, which I never use anyways.
Sony-Ericsson-MW600-003.jpg

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Ericsson-MW600-Review_id2644

So I i really don't care about the jack :) and the other bluetooth device mentioned above works in the same manner.

Last edited:
Reactions: seahorsepip

shmoejoe

Jan 9, 2011
Zuid-Holland
Gotcha, thought it plugged in the phone, but is bt :)

Yea, it's a really nice little gadget :) I highly recommend it if you don't like all the wires. I always have my phone in my pocket or in a case on my side, because I am horrible with dropping phones.

I was on the Sony site looking at the new BT device, and apparently it has a seperate SD card for music and such, which could be big downside to owning that device if you are like me, and keeps a rather large music collection on your phone. With the small LED it would also make it a bit hard to dig through your music collection :/

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/accessories/smart-wireless-headset-pro/specifications/

Or it can go the other way....

Putting all the music to the BT devices SD storage would free up the space on the Xperia S :/ though with that space it's not really necessary to hold back...

meh, I dunno, I will see where this goes...It's over a week til I get even the phone anyways (I need to send in for the BT device apparently) :) we'll see from there how it goes.

Last edited:

RiotRick

Sep 26, 2006
Netherlands
I think the new headset can play music from the phone as well. And besides that it can act as a stand-alone mp3 player with the music on the headset itself.
So you could actually stick some extra music on the headset, it can take up to 32gb sd cards (a 2gb card is in the box).

season007

Oct 11, 2007
I was trying to put on a pair of bose headset(with microphone) on the phone which i used to use on my iphone 4 but no go...it simply doesn't recognize the headset, anyone know what's going on?

ontwerp

Aug 22, 2008
Amsterdam
iphone comp. headsets

Would be dealbreaker for me too...
At least my htc can use the mic en headphone part...
With headsets app I use the play button for play/pause/volume up etc etc...
I'm selling HTC sensation XE [2 months now] for one x by htc or this
sony xperia s......

bustervic

Jan 26, 2010
Victoria
I emailed Sony, hopefully they have a reasonable explanation. Cause if they don't know why I am going to be pissed.

"oh yes it is the standard 3.5mm jack" then they whisper "only works with some headsets", FAIL.

Alien987

Jun 25, 2011
Have any of you compared the included headphones plug with one of the non working ones to see if they look similar or not?

I'm starting to get worried and thinking of canceling my preorder that is supposed to ship tomorrow...

Edit: Although after rethinking my question, that won't make a difference, both standards look similar... Hmm, I don't like the idea of having headaches when using different headsets...

Last edited:

bustervic

Jan 26, 2010
Victoria
They look the same. I had a buddy with a SGSII and his Samsung headphones work in the S AND he can use the sennheisers. Lame.

gunzy

Nov 5, 2008
Headsets

HK being the crazy place that it is has a whole bunch of the headphones shops in the computer center, so I went around trying out a whole bunch of the headsets to see which ones work (HMV also does this too).

My testing included playing music and making phone calls and seeing if the button on the headset works.

Not an exhaustive list:
Sennheisers/Adidas are out (sucks cuz I want a pair of running ones)
Sony's are out (friggin' annoying)
Most that are iphone compatible are out

Jays One+ work (These are specific for Android) I got this pair
Marshall Minor FX work - I should have got this pair

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was trying to put on a pair of bose headset(with microphone) on the phone which i used to use on my iphone 4 but no go...it simply doesn't recognize the headset, anyone know what's going on?
    Headphones now working in some normal fashion

Hi Guys. I can confirm that after waiting a month longer than the rest of the world for the ICS update, the phone now detects unsupported headsets and disables the buttons and mic, allowing you to listen to music without the workaround.

If you use the workaround now, you will have functionality of the middle button only, with the mic and volume buttons still out of commission.

Using apps from the Play store will allow you to load custom shortcuts to the single working button
    Problem Found

Hi Guys

So after painstakingly reading through every message in this thread to ensure I do not paste a duplicate answer, I can inform you I have found the true problem regarding headphones.

Straight from the words of a Sony technician:

The cause of the incompatibility: Sony Xperia S supply 2V (Volts) purely from an energy consumption perspective. The microphone in the boundled Sony Mobile headset is Electret microphones that only require a 2V feed. For other suppliers (e.g. IPhones headsets) they can use MEMS microphones that require a minimum of 2,7V.

In order for fully compatibility, Sony smartphones need to supply a minimum of 2,7V. This requires a feature/HW change.

A feature/HW change has been submitted to be implemented in coming products.

So moral of the story is, Sony screwed us all...
    Very long thread to read all :p

Just wanting to buy a new headphones.. Any best suggestions ??