[HOW-TO] Installing CM11 Internally on Nook HD+

Search This thread

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
[Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk].

FWIW, here the process I used to install CM11 internally (on emmc*) on my HD+:

1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on SD card a Primary FAT32 partition, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows.
  2. Use an archive file manager such as 7-zip and extract the .img file from verygreen’s emmc-cwm-early3.1.img.gz (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49192422&postcount=1)
  3. Use the archive file manager to extract the files from the .img file and copy them to the SD card: first MLO, then next u-boot.bin, uImage, kernel, ramdisk.cwm.
  4. Copy to the SD card:
  5. Put the SD card into the HD+, and boot from its power-off state.
  6. [Optional step but highly recommended] Select Backup to backup your HD+ current ROM config (/boot, /recovery, /system, and /data).
  7. Select Wipe data & factory reset.
  8. Select install zip from SD card and install flashable CWM recovery zip file.
  9. Select install zip from SD card and install CM11 zip file.
  10. Select install zip from SD card and install Gapps zip file.
  11. Remove SD card and select reboot.

Once the HD+ boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info.

If the Nook fails to boot off SD -- the two most common symptoms of failed SD boot and their likely causes are:
  • The HD+ boots straight to stock -- most likely the boot partition's type and/or flag are not correctly set, or the HD+ cannot find the MLO in the boot partition (make sure that MLO is the very first file to be copied to the freshly made /boot partition).

If the HD+ consistently boots straight to stock in spite of a valid /boot partition and boot files, it's possible that the tablet is one of those HD+ units that have difficulty booting of SD cards, see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2288688 for more info and potential remedies.
  • The HD+ screen stays dark for seemingly a long time then eventually boots to stock -- most likely the MLO or u-boot.bin are corrupted. When in doubt, compare the size of the two copies of the files in bytes.

HOW-TO Guides for Installing CyanogenMod on Nook HD+
Installing CM11 Internally on Nook HD+ (this guide)
Building a CM11 SD card with Customized Partition Sizing for HD+
Updating HD+ Internal EMMC to CM11 from CM10.x

Last edited:
Reactions: m4p and anengineer

kjames1973

Oct 13, 2014
What to download?

Hey Guys,

First off I really appreciate the time you take to answer my questions.
I still need some guidance however.

Again I have "Android 2.2" The last stock upgrade they updated.
So with that being said. What files should I download, and what order.

Everyone is giving me different links and i am not sure what to do.
This is my first time every doing something like this on a nook or tablet.
So please be patient with me. I would greatly appreciate it.

Should I download the cyanogenmod software first to my nook folder on my computer desktop, and then what other files do I need?
Once I download them I plan to transfer them over to a card for my usb slot that is on the bottom of my nook I am assuming, correct?

Once I have the software I need, Then I need to know what order should I install what first.
When I am doing this software installs. Do I need to worry about what is on there now.
This is nothing I need to save so I am not afraid of loosing what ever is on the nook at the moment.
All of this stuff can be let go or deleted or refresh install. Don't care.

I just want to get my table to work like a computer basically. So, I can watch the videos that i want to watch on my tablet, and still
be able to surf the net and read internet websites, you tube .com and other websites I like of course.

By doing this process this will still allow me to do this I am assuming. Again, I have never mode so I am not sure what this
cyanogenmod is or what it can do to help. I am game for trying to do it if it gets me what I want it to do.
I did see the other links posted above. I just diidn't know where to start or what to download first do to the fact I have only 2.2 android software on my nook color hd+

Again, I appreciate the advice peeps!

Please elaborate if you can with what links and what to do. Thanks again. Karl

hirent

Nov 5, 2011
Louisville
Hey Guys,
First off I really appreciate the time you take to answer my questions.
I still need some guidance however.
Please elaborate if you can with what links and what to do. Thanks again. Karl

First of all, you need to realize that installing any kind of aftermarket ROM on your android device will void your warranty with no manufacturer support.
Second, installing ROMs is inherently risky, since there is always the possibility of bricking your device.
Thirdly, any kind of ROMs that you see in the Android Development section are not completely stable; they are usable but there will be bugs & glitches. So all ROMs come with a caveat: use at your own risk!

That being said, here's how it works:

You will need three files; (a) SD Card Image (b) Recovery Image (c) ROM that you want to install.
For this purpose I am using CM11 as the example, the thread is here.

[1] Every Android device has a manufacturer installed recovery program; to install a custom ROM you need to have a custom recovery. This custom recovery is what allows you to make changes to your Android device.
[2] The Nook HD+ has the advantage of being able to boot from its SD card slot (kinda like a computer booting from a CD/DVD drive).
[3] Download the image files and create a bootable SD card. Copy the Recovery Image and the ROM to this SD card. You will need WinImage to create this card in a Windows computer.
[4] Insert this card into the HD+ and reboot your device. Here's the kicker, the HD+ may not boot from the SD card and may simply go to normal boot. If that happens you will have to keep repeating it. Check older threads about this issue.
[5] Once it boots from the SD Card, follow the instructions listed in the first post of that thread.

Brief summary (this is true for most devices): Create a bootable SD card, use this card to boot the device, install Custom recovery into the device, then install the ROM. Once you have a custom recovery installed, you won't ever have to use the bootable card again unless you run into some issues.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

kjames1973

Oct 13, 2014
For Hirent.

Hirent,

First off, I want to say thank you so much for the very detailed reply you sent my way.
I will use this with digression of course. I am aware of the warranty issues that it will cause.

The one major question I have before I dive into this project.
I am aware of the possible bugs and how it is not perfected.

Will this enable me to download and install flash player on a updated android that was suggested in this article you posted?
Or will it just work automatically after I do the project of these software installs. Another words I will be able to open chrome or factory
browser and go to NHL.com, MLB.com, NBA.com and other s and play the videos on the Nook HD+ Color after installs or no?

Thanks for the advice, help, and replies.
Karl

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
The one major question I have before I dive into this project.
I am aware of the possible bugs and how it is not perfected.

Will this enable me to download and install flash player on a updated android that was suggested in this article you posted?
Or will it just work automatically after I do the project of these software installs. Another words I will be able to open chrome or factory
browser and go to NHL.com, MLB.com, NBA.com and other s and play the videos on the Nook HD+ Color after installs or no?
FWIW, I am running CM11 (M11 snapshot build: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=ovation&type=snapshot) on my HD+, and Flash works reasonably well on the Chrome browser.

kjames1973

Oct 13, 2014
New Issue with SD Card 8gb, Centon

Hello,
I tried to follow the instructions on deleting partition on SD card. I also did get it wipe. But, the new issue is I am not able to go any further in the process.
I tried to read the card in my computer and now the card is not being recognized by windows on "my computer" It is H Drive.
IT was now its not. I deleted partition then was going to try to create the new partition. That was not highlighted on the partition magic software.
The article I was following was this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLbr1Uyr0sk

Now my SD card is not being recognize by windows 7 ultimate.
I also tried to do the right click trick on my computer then computer management. Then did click storage and then drive then so on.
However when I did that, only that screen recognizes my sd card before and after. But no other screens like my computer screen.

What do I do next with this card to continue. I was trying to follow that tutorial above then go to the windows disc 32 part.
Then drag the software over to start installing it on my nook. But, obviously I never got that far. Can you help me get the SD card to work again and tell me what I did wrong and what to do next so I can move forward to add CW & whatever android software will work well with flash. So I can use the other sites I mentioned in my other post.
If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I am stuck and not sure what to do next.

---------- Post added at 05:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 AM ----------

Weird.

I just put the sd card in a usb card dongle that inserts the sd card into usb thumb drive and all of the sudden I see the drive on this computer now.

What should I do now?
Do I still have to go and do the windows disc 32 imager part.
Then drag and drop the software I need and drop in the card to my nook then install.
Or just drag software that I need like CM and Android and move forward with that.
Which should I do first. If it is the later part, which CM and Android should I use for the Nook color HD +?????

Thanks again for help and sorry about that first post, I swear it was it seeing it before. Weird.

Thanks, Karl

ummhasan

Feb 18, 2016
Google Play

I've followed all of the instructions and downloaded recovery, CM12 (cm-12.1-20160220-NIGHTLY-m7.zip), and gapps for 6.1. The system boots and I an navigate; however, Google play is not loading, when using the browser the content area becomes untouchable (touch screen in areas of the body of the page doesn't work), and there is not choice to set up a google account.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I've followed all of the instructions and downloaded recovery, CM12 (cm-12.1-20160220-NIGHTLY-m7.zip), and gapps for 6.1. The system boots and I an navigate; however, Google play is not loading, when using the browser the content area becomes untouchable (touch screen in areas of the body of the page doesn't work), and there is not choice to set up a google account.

Any advice would be appreciated!

What tablet are you having this issue with?

AFAIK currently there is no CM12 nightly build yet for the Nook HD+ ("ovation") or HD ("hummingbird"). Make sure you pick the CM build specific for your device (e.g., cm-11-20160208-NIGHTLY-ovation.zip for the Nook HD+); using a ROM build for a different device can brick your tablet.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

ummhasan

Feb 18, 2016
Nook HD+ and Google Play

Thanks for your quick reply. This must be the problem. I originally installed the CM11 and Google Play did not work so I went out and found another 'walk through' via the link given to me last time and thought CM12 was the right choice.

I'll go back and reformat after getting the right gapps for CM11.

What tablet are you having this issue with?

AFAIK currently there is no CM12 nightly build yet for the Nook HD+ ("ovation") or HD ("hummingbird"). Make sure you pick the CM build specific for your device (e.g., cm-11-20160208-NIGHTLY-ovation.zip for the Nook HD+); using a ROM build for a different device can brick your tablet.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011

ummhasan

Feb 18, 2016
For CM11 I'd suggest you use the GApps package http://opengapps.org/?api=4.4&variant=nano.

Thanks, so what I did go back and reformat the sd card and start over with the early, cm recovery ovation, cm11, gapps 4.4; however, apparently I didn't unzip and copy the early correctly because after I rebooted the hd+ after going through the wipe/install process, I got an error that the setup wizard could not start. I powered off, wiped the sd card and began again following directions very carefully making sure the MLO was copied first.

Now, it seems I have somehow bricked the device because it will not power on and has only a green light when plugged in, instead of the normal amber. Any ideas of how to get it to turn on and boot to the SD again?

EDIT:
Okay, as I stated in my edit, I got it to boot, but I'm still getting the popup "Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has sopped. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time!!!

Last edited:

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
EDIT:
Okay, as I stated in my edit, I got it to boot, but I'm still getting the popup "Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has sopped. Any ideas?
Did you do a "wipe /data & factory reset" before you flash/install the zip files of CM11 ROM and GApps?

Did the installation of the 2 zip files succeed without error messages?

ummhasan

Feb 18, 2016
I got it working after I got it to bypass the error by dragging down the menu and connecting to wifi. Once I did that I was able to set up the Google account and everything was fine thereafter. There is a bit of flickering now and then, but everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks so much for your time and help!!!

Jane69

Oct 11, 2016
Recover Data?

Hi,
I've jut reinstalled cm11 onto my nook HD+ & realise I failed to copy a text file over before I formatted the HDD. Is it possible to recover a deleted file off the nook HDD via a PC? I've tried changing the developer option settings - Android debugging on, ADB Over Network on & connecting via USB both MTP & UMS (I think that's what they were) but when I run any of my Data Recovery programs in win7, the drive isn't recognised as an option to recover from.
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk].

FWIW, here the process I used to install CM11 internally (on emmc*) on my HD+:

1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on SD card a Primary FAT32 partition, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows.
    2. Use an archive file manager such as 7-zip and extract the .img file from verygreen’s emmc-cwm-early3.1.img.gz (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49192422&postcount=1)
    3. Use the archive file manager to extract the files from the .img file and copy them to the SD card: first MLO, then next u-boot.bin, uImage, kernel, ramdisk.cwm.
    4. Copy to the SD card:
    5. Put the SD card into the HD+, and boot from its power-off state.
    6. [Optional step but highly recommended] Select Backup to backup your HD+ current ROM config (/boot, /recovery, /system, and /data).
    7. Select Wipe data & factory reset.
    8. Select install zip from SD card and install flashable CWM recovery zip file.
    9. Select install zip from SD card and install CM11 zip file.
    10. Select install zip from SD card and install Gapps zip file.
    11. Remove SD card and select reboot.

Once the HD+ boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info.

If the Nook fails to boot off SD -- the two most common symptoms of failed SD boot and their likely causes are:
    • The HD+ boots straight to stock -- most likely the boot partition's type and/or flag are not correctly set, or the HD+ cannot find the MLO in the boot partition (make sure that MLO is the very first file to be copied to the freshly made /boot partition).

If the HD+ consistently boots straight to stock in spite of a valid /boot partition and boot files, it's possible that the tablet is one of those HD+ units that have difficulty booting of SD cards, see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2288688 for more info and potential remedies.
    • The HD+ screen stays dark for seemingly a long time then eventually boots to stock -- most likely the MLO or u-boot.bin are corrupted. When in doubt, compare the size of the two copies of the files in bytes.

HOW-TO Guides for Installing CyanogenMod on Nook HD+
    Installing CM11 Internally on Nook HD+ (this guide)
    Building a CM11 SD card with Customized Partition Sizing for HD+
    Updating HD+ Internal EMMC to CM11 from CM10.x