13th September 2011, 12:59 PM |#31  
Flag Barcelona
Thanks Meter: 56

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nscxp2005

Hi TVDinner,

Do you know if the case you mentioned is available in the UK somewhere?

All the best,

NSCXP2005

Go to ebay in UK and look for "chinesesmile" ... I got mine there from ebay spain ... but I think I read that they ship to UK also, so they must be available too un ebay UK

13th September 2011, 01:04 PM |#32  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Hi mate,

I have just searched for 'chinesesmile' and it finds nothing.

Please would you be able to like me to one that sells it.

Thanks
13th September 2011, 01:23 PM |#33  
Flag Barcelona

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Hi mate,

Thanks

This is the spanish link for the item:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/270807856600#ht_2773wt_1010

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechuckthepirate

This is the spanish link for the item:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/270807856600#ht_2773wt_1010

And this should be the link for the guy who is selling it at eBay.co.uk

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/chinese-sm...id=p4340.l2559
13th September 2011, 01:30 PM |#34  
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 174

More
Quote:

Hi mate,

Thanks

This is the current listing for the case in the US ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...:X:AAQ:US:1123

Even if you find it listed in the UK ebay it would still be shipped from China, so the same delivery time as this one. I too searched in the uk site but the ones I found were ridiculously expensive.

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App
13th September 2011, 02:03 PM |#35  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Thank you.

This is much appreciated.
16th September 2011, 08:26 AM |#36  
Thanks Meter: 112

More
Does anyone have issues with the keyboard sleeping for good? If I press the power on the Iconia to sleep the device, a few seconds later the keyboard's light will turn on and then off immediately. Afterward the keyboard won't work again until I unplug it and plug it back in, or restart the device.
16th September 2011, 08:53 AM |#37  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
I bought this case when it was only being made for a couple tablets like the g slate. They are all about the same except for the placement of the little metal holders that hold the tablet. I would not actually recommend the acer one, but instead some of the other ones that has better placed holders.

The quality is good, but the holds break down easily and it was a pain keeping them in after a while. I actually used velcro on the back of the tablet and the case to hold everything into place, along with a 4 port usb hub to connect the keyboard a couple 1tb hard drives and a variety of things.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants a cheap folio with a keyboard, but will forewarn to use caution as sticking this case between books or anything else hard with any pressure on the little metal holders will cause this to bend and come free from the case. Also, velcro is awesome. I used it to hold the tablet into place as well as hold the latch closed because the magnet on it is weak and not the strength I would want to risk my tablet falling out too. I would also recommend some slight mods to the kickstand on it. The kickstand is more prone to staying closed than open and so if you have to shift the case around you have to hold the kickstand open or else the tablet will flop backwards. Something as simple as hiding a small popsicle stick (colored black) behind the kickstand and pushing it down to hold the kickstand open when in use.

thats my two cents.
16th September 2011, 11:10 AM |#38  
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 174

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbennu

I bought this case when it was only being made for a couple tablets like the g slate. They are all about the same except for the placement of the little metal holders that hold the tablet. I would not actually recommend the acer one, but instead some of the other ones that has better placed holders.

The quality is good, but the holds break down easily and it was a pain keeping them in after a while. I actually used velcro on the back of the tablet and the case to hold everything into place, along with a 4 port usb hub to connect the keyboard a couple 1tb hard drives and a variety of things.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants a cheap folio with a keyboard, but will forewarn to use caution as sticking this case between books or anything else hard with any pressure on the little metal holders will cause this to bend and come free from the case. Also, velcro is awesome. I used it to hold the tablet into place as well as hold the latch closed because the magnet on it is weak and not the strength I would want to risk my tablet falling out too. I would also recommend some slight mods to the kickstand on it. The kickstand is more prone to staying closed than open and so if you have to shift the case around you have to hold the kickstand open or else the tablet will flop backwards. Something as simple as hiding a small popsicle stick (colored black) behind the kickstand and pushing it down to hold the kickstand open when in use.

thats my two cents.

When I receive mine, I plan to unstitch the keyboard half, fit in a 12v li-ion battery, a hdd and a usb hub then figure out how to close it back (probably i'll need some leather stripes) and i'll have a perfectly good asus-like dock (plus the hdd).

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App
17th September 2011, 12:30 AM |#39  
Flag Calgary, Alberta
Thanks Meter: 16

More
I have this case too, and I love it, though I was a little disappointed that the "stylus" they threw in for free was not one that will work on a capacitive screen (resistive only... go figure)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewden123

It does have a windows key, which doesn't belong, but I've figured out how to remap it via the Generic.kl file in /system/usr/keylayout. So now I've remapped some buttons so that the windows key is home, the alt key is search, the right-click-menu button thing (shows a mouse pointer and a menu?) is menu, F1 is volume down, F2 is volume up, F10 is pause/play, F11 is back/rewind, and F12 is forward.

I tired to do this, with no success, I found a few guides on remapping keys, but I could never figure out which key in that file was the windows key... any chance of your posting the modified file? or more detailed instructions?
14th October 2011, 04:32 AM |#40  
OP Senior Member
Flag NC
Thanks Meter: 11

More
As an update. I continue to use this keyboard folio everyday since it arrived. still not problems with the case, keyboard or any way it is working.

Still a big win for the price for me.
14th October 2011, 09:43 AM |#41  
Flag Barcelona

Donate to Me
More
Ok.. my keyboard folio from the guy 'chinesesmile' finally arrived 2 weeks ago, and now I have a little spare time so I write this small review for anyone that's considering buying it.

First thing. Sorry for my "macaroni" English... I'm spanish and there will be a lot of things wrong XD. Take it or leave it.

The case arrived in perfect conditions, though the packing was very, very simple, just a transparent sleeve of plastic with a little paper where they tell you to contact them if there has been any problem with the shipment.

Initially, it's a little thicker than I anticipated, but well, it's just the thickness of a regular neetboksmith, so no biggies. The case material is synthetic, as anyone could expect, you can't think you'll get a real leather case for that price. But all in all it looks good, textured black with a ribeted white thread all around, though I suspect everything is sticked with glue, not real sewing.

The closing stripe is magnetic and it's not very strong, but I will carry it normally in my backpack o grabbing it in my hand, so I think there's no real danger of accidental opening. Apart of this, the tablet binds (there are five of them, two at sides, two down and one up) are made of metal covered with the case synthetic material, they don't look too awful, and they fix the tablet in the case perfectly.

Inserting and extracting the tablet from the case is easy though, as the upper bind is different from the rest. It isn't hook shaped as the rest, and it allows you to pull the tablet out easily. It's more a "stopper" than a full bind, to prevent the tablet from sliding out if you turn down the case.

After two weeks of use, I've found the binds were getting loose, but affortunately, as they're made of metal, you can just retighten them by pressing them with your thumb and bending them again, so it's no biggie.

The tablet fits as a glove. It seems it's made specially for the Iconia, thought I'm sure its a standard case. On the back side of the case there is a foldable stand that allows you to have the screen almost vertical when the case is open, like a notebook.

You can also use the case folio style in portrait to take notes with a capacitive stylus (they sent me one with the case at no cost) with any of the myriad of applications for that purpose present at Google market.

As today, I haven't found any overheat or bending of the case during its use, you can even charge the tablet while it's inside the case, though I don't do it as I fear it gets too hot and run into problems. I always take the tablet out at night and leave it charging outside the case.

As I said before, the magnetic stripe is very weak and tends to flip alone. I'm gonna buy a little velcro sheet and stick it on the stripe. This way it will close perfectly. When I try this I'll tell you if it worked.

The USB keyboard in the case is totally integrated, and surprisingly, very well finished. It doesn't look like it's sticked in top of the case. Instead, it's placed between two layers or the case's material and it just protrudes one or two milimeters from the case's level.

The USB cable is very thin, so be careful not to strain it too much, as it could break. The reason is so thin must be for space purposes. A thicker cable would have made closing the case difficult.

When you unplug the USB cable from the tablet, you can make a little trick bending it in two and fitting it in one of the pencils' holes in the middle of the case... they're too thin to allow anything else.

It's a Windows keyboard, so, there are some keys that don't do anything. The layout is US, so if you need special characters for you language you'll have to figure out. I'm spanish and I need áéíóú and ñ, but I found out easily that Alt-e will let you make áéíóú and Alt-n will let you do ñ.

Someone wrote on this or other thread (or forum) that if you have your device rooted, you can modify the layout files in android to map the keys to whatever you need.

Another nifty combination of keys is holding down the Windows key and then tapping Alt... you can switch applications "windows style" ... it's very nice. The Esc key will work most of the times as "Back"...

The keyboard's feel is not the best, but you won't have problem to type anything quickly once you get used to it. When I say it's not the best, I mean it feels a little cheap, but you won't expect a mechanical cherry keyboard for that price.

As I told you before, unexpectedly, they included a free capacitive pen and it works like a charm. The only downside is that it doesn't fit in the case when you close it. So you have to carry it elsewhere (on your shirt's pocket, for example)

Overall, my reviews result are :

THE GOOD
- Very robust.
- Good and reliable look.
- The tablet fits tight and perfectly.
- The keyboard looks very well integrated.
- You get a capacitive pen for the same price!

THE "NOT SO GOOD"
- The keyboard's quality is not the best, thought it's not bad either.
- The magnetic strip tends to open, it's very weak.
- You can't place the capacitive pen inside the case when closing it.
- The keyboard is meant for Windows, not Android.
- Maybe it's a little bulky. My backpack is small and it's difficult to fit inside.

THE BAD
- Nothing really bad after two weeks of use... I'll update this if something pops.

Here I post some shots of the case "In Action"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00011.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	749510   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00010.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	749511   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00009.jpg