Official AT&T 4.3 Update is here!

Search This thread

qkster

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 5, 2011
USA
Having trouble getting my Device Status to not say "custom". The below pic is what my phone is running right now. Also fully unrooted and installed the stock recovery... But still my Device Status is "Custom". And when I try to install the 4.3 OTA through the updater I get the darn "Status 7" error. Can someone please help me out. I just want to get back to stock and on the 4.3 OTA. Im over flashing all these roms just to find out each one has multiple things broken or missing 2 days into using it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

The "custom" status is from 4.1.2, I think.
It may be due to custom recovery or kernel or something in the system.
To be "normal" and be able to upgrade to 4.3 via OTA, the best way is to flash the stock MA4 via Odin. Factory reset after a successful flash.
You may need to anticipate a sdcard or ext sdcard wipe.

The official 4.3 OTA will give you 4.3 boot loaders..once you get there, I don't think you can get back. It may or may not be a big deal.

There is someone working on a 4.3 stock with the older 4.1.2 boot loaders...it is still in the testing stages.
Mebby if that person is monitoring the thread, you might get a pm..or not. Out of my control..

esprit1st

May 23, 2011
Portland, OR
Update with TWRP?

Hi guys,

After reading through a lot of threads here I have a hard time figuring out how I can update to 4.3.
First this is my setup:

Carrier: AT&T
Model: i317
Android 4.1.2
Baseband: I317UCAMH3
Build: JZO54K.I317UCAMC3

I have TWRP installed on my device.

I don't really need root. Only reason I have it was because I needed it unlocked and AT&T didn't have the right unlock code for me, so I had to do it myself (actually AT&T told me to do so because they ran out of options how to unlock it themselves). I liked the option of possibly being able to tether without ridiculous fees. I heard about Knox, not a big deal for me.

However, I would like to upgrade to 4.3. What is the best/safest way to do that without loosing data?

I am just very confused about which package and how to install it. It seems like there is still a lot of experimenting going on. So pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!! And keep up the great work! :good:

Last edited:

softballjunkee13

Apr 27, 2011
Hahaha. Back in the day devs didnt release a half developed rom either. The rom would be released to a select few in a "beta" form and then when everything was fully functioning you would get an "official" release. Thanks for the help anyway.

Ya dude. U should take ur butt over to rootz and try with a clean slate over there. Be respectful and appreciative. Because u r notorious here by now. Me personally.... I've been around for quite sometime and I know my $ hį+ but u won't get any support from me. And I doubt you'll get it from anyone else who knows better

SENT FROM MY SGH-I317 USING SKY BLUE TAPATALK

Reactions: Eternalty

esprit1st

May 23, 2011
Portland, OR
Dont take the ota, 4.3 bootloader is bad. Use SkyNote rom 12/25 edition for full 4.3 without knox.

Did you thank your Developer today?

You're talking about this one, right? Sounds like a good one. :good:

Uhm, after reading the details. It says: factory data reset and wipe system.
I would like to keep my settings and all that stuff. Is there a way to accomplish that?

Last edited:

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
You "must" wipe your system and data partitions before flashing a new or different framework...
That is just the way it is...
Otherwise you get pea soup...=starting over anyway...g

Sent from my SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: esprit1st

esprit1st

May 23, 2011
Portland, OR
sh** ... wish I would have known that before I installed TWRP.
So if I wait, is there a chance of getting something that I could easily put on there without wiping using my current TWRP-setup?

I suppose there is no way to get rid of TWRP without wiping, either? I mean, I am on official 4.1.2. So if I could get rid of TWRP I suppose I could use OTA?

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
To go completely stock for a successful OTA without issues. ..
You would need to flash CF auto root for access to triangle away. ..and for the 3e recovery. .
Long story short. ..you must full wipe after returning to stock in order for the binary flash counter to read zero for OTA...

You could flash just a recovery and take your chances. ..but the 4.3 OTA will most likely trip the new Knox counter if you don't do the "full" return to stock. ...g

Reactions: esprit1st

esprit1st

May 23, 2011
Portland, OR
Yay! ... sounds like I am stuck.

Do you think there is chances for anything to come out soon, to be able to TWRP easily?
Sorry, noob-question, but hey, that's what I am ... :cyclops:

Thanks for your help!! Appreciate it!

chris.l.naish

Oct 26, 2011
XDA Developer Forums! ;-)
As crazy as this sounds, I wish I could go back to completely unrooted stock 4.3...I did the other day, but after I went back to stock and took the mk6 OTA, I got stupid and rerooted it...So Knox is of course tripped, so I'm running Jedi Master X1 for now...looking forward to the day when the awesome peeps here at XDA have a way to reset Knox...and then I'll get back to completely stock (yes, I know this sounds weird, but after playing with my phone so much over this past year, I've simply decided I'm done with all that stuff...just personal preference).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: gregsarg

md1008

Dec 9, 2011
Do you guys think Samsung will take HTC/Motorola route in regards to unlocking bootloader?

I am not a fan of HTC s-off madness but at least most if not all HTC can flash root and recovery. Sucks unless your s-off which is becoming harder and harder you have fast boot flash kernel

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Do you think there is chances for anything to come out soon, to be able to TWRP easily?

Check out the thread I posted today in the Dev section... It's stock i317 4.3, which you can flash from twrp. It is rooted, but if unrooted is desired you can do that from SuperSU.

If you're already on the MK6 bootloader there's no way to clear that knox counter, but if you stay on MJ4 or below you can Odin back via UCAMA4, cf-auto-root, run triangle away, then run SuperSU to unroot.... if at any point you want your phone to show as official with no custom counters.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

As crazy as this sounds, I wish I could go back to completely unrooted stock 4.3...I did the other day, but after I went back to stock and took the mk6 OTA, I got stupid and rerooted it...So Knox is of course tripped, ..... (yes, I know this sounds weird, but after playing with my phone so much over this past year, I've simply decided I'm done with all that stuff...just personal preference).

If you've had your phone for a year that Knox counter doesn't mean much... The risk exists only while in warranty should a repair be needed. There's some speculation that it might be used to deny a future OTA update, but that remains to be seen.

The packages I posted today are 100% stock ucubmk6 except for the bootloader, which you already have.

If you want stock recovery, pm me and I'll show you how to set this up.

esprit1st

May 23, 2011
Portland, OR
Check out the thread I posted today in the Dev section... It's stock i317 4.3, which you can flash from twrp. It is rooted, but if unrooted is desired you can do that from SuperSU.

If you're already on the MK6 bootloader there's no way to clear that knox counter, but if you stay on MJ4 or below you can Odin back via UCAMA4, cf-auto-root, run triangle away, then run SuperSU to unroot.... if at any point you want your phone to show as official with no custom counters.

Dude, you're the boss! That is awesome! Thank you so much.
So that means I can flash one of the two first firmwares with TWRP and after that the bootloader with Odin and I am done and running without loosing any of my current apps/settings/stuff, right?

I vote for you as the man of the year! :good:

You are correct. In testing, I flashed on top of 4.1,2 multiple times and kept everything.

Today, starting from 4,3, I flashed the deodexed package, ran it for a while, then flashed the odex cwm package, no wipes needed. As long as you're on a stock-based firmware you should be fine.

Note - This approach will probably not work coming from non-stock firmwares - I haven't attempted that.

Make sure you have a TiBu backup just in case and have a backup of your sdcard on your PC. Worst case you have something to fall back on, but it should not be needed.

Unroot - yes

Triangle away - no

From what I've read TA does not work on 4.3 bootloaders. Also, if you are on MK6, you can't revert to an earlier bootloader where triangle away still works for clearing pre-knox custom flash counters.

With MJ4 you can revert. In that case, earlier bootloaders don't know about the Knox counter so it doesn't show up. (Although with all my odin and cwm flashing on MJ4 bootloader the Knox counter stayed at zero... go figure)

drpra86

Apr 23, 2013
Azusa
Hey so just flash it from the recovery right? Or do i need to do something else?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is the OTA file http://www.mediafire.com/download/00kavsl80t0gkh9/I317UCUBMK6.zip
    Use recovery to flash it. Only works if updated from MH3 build.
    Is there a flashable version of this? If not, can somebody make one? Thanks.

The update has only been out for a few hours and we are asking for .zip files already ??
    Sheesh...
    Give the devs some time to pull it apart and clean it up...unless you would like Knox and a bootloader lock ??
    actually even better and easier if you have the ota .... mk6 installed
    and got it through the ota update process
    and rooted
    and have recovery installed

please make a backup of modem and boot
    and upload it pretty please

twrp or philz should give you the option under advanced backup

Modem

Boot

Both taken from ota i317ucubmk6

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

As crazy as this sounds, I wish I could go back to completely unrooted stock 4.3...I did the other day, but after I went back to stock and took the mk6 OTA, I got stupid and rerooted it...So Knox is of course tripped, ..... (yes, I know this sounds weird, but after playing with my phone so much over this past year, I've simply decided I'm done with all that stuff...just personal preference).

If you've had your phone for a year that Knox counter doesn't mean much... The risk exists only while in warranty should a repair be needed. There's some speculation that it might be used to deny a future OTA update, but that remains to be seen.

The packages I posted today are 100% stock ucubmk6 except for the bootloader, which you already have.

If you want stock recovery, pm me and I'll show you how to set this up.