Cannibal Open Touch v2.1 (latest update: 12/1/2012)

Search This thread

Sblood86

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 18, 2011
Middle of nowhere, Texas
300x300.png

Project Open Cannibal presents...
Cannibal Open Touch v2.1 for Amazon Kindle Fire (first generation)

About Cannibal Open Touch:
Cannibal Open Touch is the next generation of custom recoveries. Jam-packed with cool and useful features, it can handle just about anything you can throw at it.

Warning: Does NOT currently support KitKit

Main Features:
1. Theme support
2. Touch screen button controls!
3. GooManager support!
4. Advanced Backup
5. Delete old backups!
6. Persistent settings
7. User-defined backup locations!
8. ADB Sideload
9. Touchscreen calibration
10. Backported “retouch binaries” patch for ICS/JB compatibility
11. Backported extfs tools for better ICS/JB management

Why the name Cannibal Open Touch?
Because we can. The name also embodies everything that Cannibal Open Touch is. It is no longer just a variant of ClockworkMod Recovery, it is it's own recovery by itself. Combining features from ClockworkMod 5, Team UtterChaos' Sony Xperia recovery, AmonRa 3.0.6, Xionia CWMA and a heaping helping of our own special enhancements it is truly revolutionary.

What to do when an error occurs:
DO NOT simply say "xxxx doesn't work" as that is highly unhelpful and will probably be ignored. Instead, post the recovery log! To grab a log when an error occurs, simply open a terminal (or command prompt if on Windows), "cd" to an easily accessible directory and execute:

Code:
adb pull /tmp/recovery.log

Paste the log as an attachment (don't paste the text inside, as it can be quite lengthy), or paste it on pastebin.com.

WARNING!
If you are upgrading from a previous version of Cannibal Open Touch you must delete the settings.ini file located in the cotrecovery folder on your sdcard!

Flashing instructions:
Flashing instructions can be found at the download link below.

Main Recovery Screenshots:
Main Gallery (external link) (Nexus 7 screen shots; will update soon)

Available Themes:
Themes Gallery (external link) (Again, Nexus 7 images shown here)

Download Cannibal Open Touch v2.1:
Note: The below link is an external link to the Project Open Cannibal forums. We do not require registration to download any public release, but we'd sure appreciate it if you stopped by to say hello :)

Cannibal Open Touch Download (external link)

For those of you who are either uncomfortable or incapable of using fastboot for some reason webdroidmt has done an updated Smirkit 2.1 for y'all, please see the original Smirkit release page for usage instructions.

XDA:DevDB Information
Cannibal Open Touch v2.1, a Tool/Utility for the Amazon Kindle Fire

Contributors
Sblood86, drewwalton19216801, thenameisnigel

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 2.1
Stable Release Date: 2012-12-01

Created 2013-09-04
Last Updated 2013-11-28

Last edited:

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Just made a nandroid & it seemed faster than 2.02, maybe placebo. :laugh: Didn't flash any roms , as I don't have anything new to flash...yet! I like the overall simplicity and the functions in plain language terms.

Couple of questions, where can I read up on how to install a theme? Is that something that the COTR android app does or will do? Also, as stated in the OP, I deleted my current .ini file but can I still restore older COTR nandroids, say from 2.02 with this version? I'm figuring yes but want to be sure.

Thanks again for an alternative to TWRP. Btw, when the skull logo first came up, I thought I got a virus or something. LOL Looks cool.

Mike T

Sblood86

Apr 18, 2011
Middle of nowhere, Texas
Just made a nandroid & it seemed faster than 2.02, maybe placebo. :laugh: Didn't flash any roms , as I don't have anything new to flash...yet! I like the overall simplicity and the functions in plain language terms.

I can't imagine what would effect speed but cool

Couple of questions, where can I read up on how to install a theme? Is that something that the COTR android app does or will do? Also, as stated in the OP, I deleted my current .ini file but can I still restore older COTR nandroids, say from 2.02 with this version? I'm figuring yes but want to be sure.

Previous backups should work just fine yes as for themes we don't have a lot yet but there is an outline for creating them on both github and the POC forums. The apps capabilities are limited to Drew's java capabilities as I find java to be; well, it's unsavory, we'll leave it at that ;)

To that end I'm not sure but maybe.

I thought I got a virus or something.

Love it! :D

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Thank you Sblood86 this is a great Christmas gift awesome work:). Updated index.

Last edited:

Ixthusdan

May 14, 2012
Mishawaka, IN
I assume this replaces twrp. Would I install this along side twrp? Will firefirefire offer a choice of recovery?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda app-developers app

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Not at this time (no pun intended); requires an offset which varies a bit by location so it's a bit of a hack. Haven't done it yet but we may add a function for it in the future.

Thanks for your reply, obviously it would be nice for proper timestamping of the nandroids, as now it reads 5 hours ahead for me.. But even without that, I've previously been enjoying using COTR and this new version with themes gives me a little something extra to play with. :D

Started messing around with the themes I d/l from the git, took the devildroid one and substituted the devildroid background out with the droid jellybean machine that's been floating around the web. Simple but looks pretty nice, I like green :laugh: and gives me a better idea how to work with the themes going forward. Gonna' work with the HTML color picker to see what other combos I can come up with.

Btw, just for the heck of it, I updated my smirkit with COTR 2.1 and flashed it instead of fast booting it.

Anyway, thanks again for this update.

Mike T

Sblood86

Apr 18, 2011
Middle of nowhere, Texas

Hmm; suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea I just didn't really consider it lol...

For those not comfortable using fastboot, I've updated smirkit with COTR 2.1. You can find the download link on the smirkit thread here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34974869&postcount=325

Mike T

I almost messaged him in regards to that but I knew he didn't have a KF so I figured we'd leave it be lol

Edit: linked to the OP as well.

Last edited:

dadeo1111

great work, but..

I love new stuff and really want to try this -- it sounds great -- but with the past mis-flash issues with all versions of CWM and similar problems with many of the later TWRP versions on the KF device, I'm, to say the least, a little gun-shy. (the name also adds to my unease - but so would a pink unicorn heh)

Perhaps when I see folks posting multiple (2-3) successful flashes of different roms with this, I will jump on board with both feet. As clunky or ugly as it is, TWRP 2.1.1.1 works flawless for me and has for months so, as much as I like the latest/greatest, I'm holding off for now.

Many thanks to the OP and all the other fine Android developer volunteers here as well. :highfive: Your efforts are immensely appreciated - especially when you innovate a new solution like this one. Unfortunately I'm a relative android n00b and have scant confidence in unbricking my device should that occur, and even, as low as prices are, less ability to replace it as I'm on fixed income that almost covers living expenses. Sorry.. :(

isaiahhhhh

Jan 5, 2009
Maine
I love new stuff and really want to try this -- it sounds great -- but with the past mis-flash issues with all versions of CWM and similar problems with many of the later TWRP versions on the KF device, I'm, to say the least, a little gun-shy. (the name also adds to my unease - but so would a pink unicorn heh)

Perhaps when I see folks posting multiple (2-3) successful flashes of different roms with this, I will jump on board with both feet. As clunky or ugly as it is, TWRP 2.1.1.1 works flawless for me and has for months so, as much as I like the latest/greatest, I'm holding off for now.

Many thanks to the OP and all the other fine Android developer volunteers here as well. :highfive: Your efforts are immensely appreciated - especially when you innovate a new solution like this one. Unfortunately I'm a relative android n00b and have scant confidence in unbricking my device should that occur, and even, as low as prices are, less ability to replace it as I'm on fixed income that almost covers living expenses. Sorry.. :(

I'm on board with you, I've become complacent with the ease of use the developers have granted us with flashing roms for the Kindle Fire. Much of what I learned when I first started messing with the Kindle Fire has been left in a dusty part of my brain because I haven't needed to use it. If I was still able to confidently unbrick the KF (or at least know i'd have a good shot at it) i'd give this recovery a try, but my confidence isn't there and neither is my funding for a new KF should I void the warrenty.

Sblood86

Apr 18, 2011
Middle of nowhere, Texas

I'm on board with you, I've become complacent with the ease of use the developers have granted us with flashing roms for the Kindle Fire. Much of what I learned when I first started messing with the Kindle Fire has been left in a dusty part of my brain because I haven't needed to use it. If I was still able to confidently unbrick the KF (or at least know i'd have a good shot at it) i'd give this recovery a try, but my confidence isn't there and neither is my funding for a new KF should I void the warrenty.

I understand the reluctance but also can state fairly plainly that IF you had been following CWM issues closely you would know that the only issues that CWM ever had with the kindle was Flashing 3.y kernels (resolved a long time ago with the first iteration of my recovery {before we renamed it}) and the super bricks with the ICS+ based recovery (solved by removing the EMMC wipe calls); this is a gingerbread hybrid so the last of those 2 isn't even remotely possible...

A fairly moderate amount of research would prove both of those statements; I would NOT release something that I wasn't confident worked. The only risk to bricking your devices while using this recovery is improper usage and/or flashing or doing something you shouldn't be doing...
Just to reinforce that statement I haven't used TWRP since last December when I rooted my Kindle Fire; it has always ran a variation of CWM or similar and guess what; it still works :p

I also have a jellybean based recovery for us; works flawlessly (I've been running it on my kindle for months without any emmc crashes {yes I do have the faulty samsung emmc so if there were still erase issues I would have a brick sitting on my desk; again, I don't :D}) apart from USB mass storage (which is the only reason we released the hybrid instead of the jellybean based recovery).

Now I know you guys are going to make up your own minds and so forth and I wouldn't ask for anything less; part of the reason I love Android devices is the Open Source nature and the fact that you aren't required to use one specific program so if you don't like the recovery that is entirely your right. Having said that I'd hate for fear to be the only thing that kept y'all from trying something new; read the recovery discussion in Hashcode and DooMLoRDs old recovery threads if you would like to know more on the subjects, also my CM7 thread discusses the my original iteration of CWM based 'hybrid' (gingerbread-ics) recovery (the release of which overshadowed as Hashcode released his ICS based recovery at the same time and people did have issues with it do to kernel wipe errors: these never occurred for those using the hybrid recovery and I'm sure you guys could find a few people to confirm that).

One final thought; instead of looking for posts saying it works, try finding one saying it doesn't :p (I personally never post when something works as it's implied in the fact that noone has screamed out saying it doesn't)

Edit: I forgot to mention we released 3 dev previews and a release candidate of this to our beta testers at the POC forums long before a public release ;) (the rc was actually only out for a week but that was mainly to make sure we hadn't broken anything {layout related} since dev3).

Last edited:

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
COTR

A vote of confidence here for COTR. Don't get me wrong, I like TWRP with all its features, "pretty" UI and I especially like renaming my backups from within the recovery. But I had posted back in the summer that TWRP was becoming consistently unreliable for me in flashing ICS & JB roms, usually resulting in a flash failed error. At first I thought it was just bad downloads but this was with the MD5 matching and it would eventually flash after rebooting and reflashing on the second or third try. In a nutshell, every time I flashed a rom, I wondered if it was going to flash or bomb out on me.

With CWM not being a viable option, I was very happy to see Sblood release COTR and I've been using this as my recovery since August. I like supporting Sblood's work but more importantly I have confidence that my zips are going to flash every time as long as they are not corrupt.

Let me just say, I'm a flashaholic. :D I generally test just about every rom in this forum and I'm running nandroids just about every other day. Matter of fact, I maintain 3 different roms on this forum with 3 different Google accounts...they're cheap :laugh: Since I've been using COTR, I've not had one bad flash and I've backed up and restored more times than I can count without issue.

Now, if only the next version of COTR allows for renaming the nandroids. LOL Actually, I see from the COTR forum that it's on the to-do list. Well, that's my two cents and I guess we should all use what we're comfortable with in the long run.

Mike T

mdaa83

Mar 31, 2011
Looks promising. I flashed it using my favorite tool dd and it worked so far with my own unsigned zip file that resets all my custom tweaks via goo manager. I haven't tried any other features yet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    300x300.png

Project Open Cannibal presents...
    Cannibal Open Touch v2.1 for Amazon Kindle Fire (first generation)

About Cannibal Open Touch:
    Cannibal Open Touch is the next generation of custom recoveries. Jam-packed with cool and useful features, it can handle just about anything you can throw at it.

Warning: Does NOT currently support KitKit

Main Features:
    1. Theme support
    2. Touch screen button controls!
    3. GooManager support!
    4. Advanced Backup
    5. Delete old backups!
    6. Persistent settings
    7. User-defined backup locations!
    8. ADB Sideload
    9. Touchscreen calibration
    10. Backported “retouch binaries” patch for ICS/JB compatibility
    11. Backported extfs tools for better ICS/JB management

Why the name Cannibal Open Touch?
    Because we can. The name also embodies everything that Cannibal Open Touch is. It is no longer just a variant of ClockworkMod Recovery, it is it's own recovery by itself. Combining features from ClockworkMod 5, Team UtterChaos' Sony Xperia recovery, AmonRa 3.0.6, Xionia CWMA and a heaping helping of our own special enhancements it is truly revolutionary.

What to do when an error occurs:
    DO NOT simply say "xxxx doesn't work" as that is highly unhelpful and will probably be ignored. Instead, post the recovery log! To grab a log when an error occurs, simply open a terminal (or command prompt if on Windows), "cd" to an easily accessible directory and execute:

Code:
    adb pull /tmp/recovery.log

Paste the log as an attachment (don't paste the text inside, as it can be quite lengthy), or paste it on pastebin.com.

WARNING!
    If you are upgrading from a previous version of Cannibal Open Touch you must delete the settings.ini file located in the cotrecovery folder on your sdcard!

Flashing instructions:
    Flashing instructions can be found at the download link below.

Main Recovery Screenshots:
    Main Gallery (external link) (Nexus 7 screen shots; will update soon)

Available Themes:
    Themes Gallery (external link) (Again, Nexus 7 images shown here)

Download Cannibal Open Touch v2.1:
    Note: The below link is an external link to the Project Open Cannibal forums. We do not require registration to download any public release, but we'd sure appreciate it if you stopped by to say hello :)

Cannibal Open Touch Download (external link)

For those of you who are either uncomfortable or incapable of using fastboot for some reason webdroidmt has done an updated Smirkit 2.1 for y'all, please see the original Smirkit release page for usage instructions.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Cannibal Open Touch v2.1, a Tool/Utility for the Amazon Kindle Fire

Contributors
    Sblood86, drewwalton19216801, thenameisnigel

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.1
    Stable Release Date: 2012-12-01

Created 2013-09-04
    Last Updated 2013-11-28

Hmm; suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea I just didn't really consider it lol...

For those not comfortable using fastboot, I've updated smirkit with COTR 2.1. You can find the download link on the smirkit thread here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34974869&postcount=325

Mike T

I almost messaged him in regards to that but I knew he didn't have a KF so I figured we'd leave it be lol

Edit: linked to the OP as well.
    COTR

A vote of confidence here for COTR. Don't get me wrong, I like TWRP with all its features, "pretty" UI and I especially like renaming my backups from within the recovery. But I had posted back in the summer that TWRP was becoming consistently unreliable for me in flashing ICS & JB roms, usually resulting in a flash failed error. At first I thought it was just bad downloads but this was with the MD5 matching and it would eventually flash after rebooting and reflashing on the second or third try. In a nutshell, every time I flashed a rom, I wondered if it was going to flash or bomb out on me.

With CWM not being a viable option, I was very happy to see Sblood release COTR and I've been using this as my recovery since August. I like supporting Sblood's work but more importantly I have confidence that my zips are going to flash every time as long as they are not corrupt.

Let me just say, I'm a flashaholic. :D I generally test just about every rom in this forum and I'm running nandroids just about every other day. Matter of fact, I maintain 3 different roms on this forum with 3 different Google accounts...they're cheap :laugh: Since I've been using COTR, I've not had one bad flash and I've backed up and restored more times than I can count without issue.

Now, if only the next version of COTR allows for renaming the nandroids. LOL Actually, I see from the COTR forum that it's on the to-do list. Well, that's my two cents and I guess we should all use what we're comfortable with in the long run.

Mike T
    Newer version of COT is in the works (though we're having some issues with the theme engine lol) but I'm really not sure if we're going to be able to support the KF or not with it, using the CM touch recovery code which has issues with a lot of devices. There's a good chance it will work but at this point I'm really just not sure. Sorry for the slow progress there are only 3 of us and we don't spend nearly as much time on the project as we would like to.

I understand the reluctance but also can state fairly plainly that IF you had been following CWM issues closely you would know that the only issues that CWM ever had with the kindle was Flashing 3.y kernels (resolved a long time ago with the first iteration of my recovery {before we renamed it}) and the super bricks with the ICS+ based recovery (solved by removing the EMMC wipe calls); this is a gingerbread hybrid so the last of those 2 isn't even remotely possible...

A fairly moderate amount of research would prove both of those statements; I would NOT release something that I wasn't confident worked. The only risk to bricking your devices while using this recovery is improper usage and/or flashing or doing something you shouldn't be doing...
    Just to reinforce that statement I haven't used TWRP since last December when I rooted my Kindle Fire; it has always ran a variation of CWM or similar and guess what; it still works :p

I also have a jellybean based recovery for us; works flawlessly (I've been running it on my kindle for months without any emmc crashes {yes I do have the faulty samsung emmc so if there were still erase issues I would have a brick sitting on my desk; again, I don't :D}) apart from USB mass storage (which is the only reason we released the hybrid instead of the jellybean based recovery).

Now I know you guys are going to make up your own minds and so forth and I wouldn't ask for anything less; part of the reason I love Android devices is the Open Source nature and the fact that you aren't required to use one specific program so if you don't like the recovery that is entirely your right. Having said that I'd hate for fear to be the only thing that kept y'all from trying something new; read the recovery discussion in Hashcode and DooMLoRDs old recovery threads if you would like to know more on the subjects, also my CM7 thread discusses the my original iteration of CWM based 'hybrid' (gingerbread-ics) recovery (the release of which overshadowed as Hashcode released his ICS based recovery at the same time and people did have issues with it do to kernel wipe errors: these never occurred for those using the hybrid recovery and I'm sure you guys could find a few people to confirm that).

One final thought; instead of looking for posts saying it works, try finding one saying it doesn't :p (I personally never post when something works as it's implied in the fact that noone has screamed out saying it doesn't)

Edit: I forgot to mention we released 3 dev previews and a release candidate of this to our beta testers at the POC forums long before a public release ;) (the rc was actually only out for a week but that was mainly to make sure we hadn't broken anything {layout related} since dev3).