[App] flashing boot and recovery on Kindle Fire HD

Search This thread

stanga72

Feb 26, 2013
FLASHING WRONG IMAGES CAN DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE SO USE THIS APP ON YOUR OWN RISK

fire flash is an App for flashing boot and recovery partitions on both versions of Kindle Fire HD. Optionally it also installs a simple Open Recovery Script which gets executed after entering recovery mode. In script only wiping system/data/cache and installing ROMs (.zip files) are supported.

Usage: download files you want to flash (boot image, recovery image, ROM .zip files). After downloading files, select them and check appropriate options. In attached image there is an example for flashing Hashcode's bootloader + TWRP + stock ROM v8.1.4 with installed stack override on a KFHD8.9. After all files are selected and options checked as shown on the image, first tap Flash,install script button and then Reboot into recovery button. All required files can be found in Hashcode's threads.

Tomsgt made a video http://youtu.be/a1bLCuQN0-U which shows how to use the fire flash. Thanks.

Note: more than one .zip file can be selected. To remove a file from the list, select the same file again.

Update v1.1
-added support for system version 7.3.0 / 8.3.0:
: if current bootloader is not 7.2.3 / 8.1.4 a red warning is displayed and check box for flashing 7.2.3 / 8.1.4 bootloader is enabled.
: unless you are sure your current bootloader is not 7.3.0 / 8.3.0 bootloader 7.2.3 / 8.1.4 should probably be flashed - check the checkbox.
-works on CM10.1
-every flashed partition is read back and verified
-shows progress when flashing

Update v1.01
-added some feedback after pressing Flash,install script button
-(hopefully) resolved problems with open recovery script

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-11-22-13-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-11-22-13-01.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 15,016
  • fireflash11.apk
    314.9 KB · Views: 57,106
Last edited:

persano

Nov 25, 2012
Buenos Aires

fire flash is an App for flashing boot and recovery partitions on both versions of Kindle Fire HD. Optionally it also installs a simple Open Recovery Script which gets executed after entering recovery mode. In script only wiping system/data/cache and installing ROMs (.zip files) are supported.

Usage: download files you want to flash (boot image, recovery image, ROM .zip files). After downloading files, select them and check appropriate options. In attached image there is an example for flashing Hashcode's bootloader + TWRP + stock ROM v8.1.3 with installed stack override on a KFHD8.9. After all files are selected and options checked as shown on the image, first tap Flash,install script button and then Reboot into recovery button. All required files can be found in Hashcode's threads.

Note: more than one .zip file can be selected. To remove a file from the list, select the same file again.

can flash for example tweaks and sound tweaks like acid audio engine that come in a zip?

Reactions: andiipee

stanga72

Feb 26, 2013
can flash for example tweaks and sound tweaks like acid audio engine that come in a zip?

fire flash generates a script which is then executed by TWRP. If tweaks can be flashed from TWRP then yes. Leave boot and recovery image 'Not flashed' and don't wipe anything in OpenRecoveryScript section. Select your .zip file(s), press Flash, then reboot into recovery. This app only simplifies (a few) tasks that can be done in TWRP and makes intalling boot and recovery partition realy easy.

persano

Nov 25, 2012
Buenos Aires
fire flash generates a script which is then executed by TWRP. If tweaks can be flashed from TWRP then yes. Leave boot and recovery image 'Not flashed' and don't wipe anything in OpenRecoveryScript section. Select your .zip file(s), press Flash, then reboot into recovery. This app only simplifies (a few) tasks that can be done in TWRP and makes intalling boot and recovery partition realy easy.

you need twrp?

Raymond199483

Dec 29, 2012
I downloaded it will it work on a unrooted Kindle fire hd since I have no way to root my kindle right now

sent from my unrooted kindle fire hd

Works good. A couple things to note:

1. It gives no indication when you click the "flash, install script" button that it's done flashing. I ended up clicking it twice...

2. Even though I selected to wipe the cache/data/system and install the new IS zip file, it did not work. I rebooted to TWRP ok, but had to wipe and flash manually...

But, I'm definitely not complaining about anything cuz it got my second boot loader installed without me having to buy a fast-food cable first! :)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: kgirlx

Raymond199483

Dec 29, 2012
Good news I'm rooting my Kindle fire HD today for sure

sent from my unrooted kindle fire hd

raj3366

Sep 30, 2012
Awesome work. My plan is to backup the current image before flashing any new ROMs. Using this script how can I just flash TWRP without changing anything else? If I just flash recovery partition alone, would it do the trick for my use case ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Also I think this thread deserves a place in kernel Dev section as I happened to find this by accident. I don't generally browse Apps Dev section but I did and was to happy to find this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

raj3366

Sep 30, 2012
Awesome work. My plan is to backup the current image before flashing any new ROMs. Using this script how can I just flash TWRP without changing anything else? If I just flash recovery partition alone, would it do the trick for my use case ?

I was able to do it without flashing any other zip files(just boot and recover images). It takes a while to boot into recover though (after the "kindle fire" logo turns blue).

Thanks for the good work.

Last edited:

hector333

Jan 9, 2009
Veracruz
Can you tell me what steps you did to have twrp install by this app?

First download the kfhd7-freedom-boot.img and the TWRP Recovery from this post:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128848

Now move those files to the storage on your KFHD7, install the fire flash APK and execute it, select the files and check the "Apply Stack override" box and the "disable recovery auto update" just like the picture on the OP.

now execute it by pushing the "flash install script" button and Wait! (it do not says its done so i wait like a full minute)

now do a reboot and the boot logo will turn blue and the you push volume up and then you will be in TWRP

hope it helps.

Mad@Droid

Mar 2, 2013

Now move those files to the storage on your KFHD7, install the fire flash APK and execute it, select the files and check the "Apply Stack override" box and the "disable recovery auto update" just like the picture on the OP.

now execute it by pushing the "flash install script" button and Wait! (it do not says its done so i wait like a full minute)

now do a reboot and the boot logo will turn blue and the you push volume up and then you will be in TWRP

hope it helps.

Thanks for the info, one more thing was this done on a kindle fire or kindle HD?

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Thanks for the info, one more thing was this done on a kindle fire or kindle HD?

please ignore found my answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: kgirlx

Mad@Droid

Mar 2, 2013

hope it helps.

Wow done in least then 2 minuets. :good:

Thanks, this work out perfect no nightmares to report, maybe next update for this app will let you know when its safe to reboot. :laugh:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Usage: download files you want to flash (boot image, recovery image, ROM .zip files). After downloading files, select them and check appropriate options. In attached image there is an example for flashing Hashcode's bootloader + TWRP + stock ROM v8.1.4 with installed stack override on a KFHD8.9. After all files are selected and options checked as shown on the image, first tap Flash,install script button and then Reboot into recovery button. All required files can be found in Hashcode's threads.

Tomsgt made a video http://youtu.be/a1bLCuQN0-U which shows how to use the fire flash. Thanks.

Update v1.1
    -added support for system version 7.3.0 / 8.3.0:
    : if current bootloader is not 7.2.3 / 8.1.4 a red warning is displayed and check box for flashing 7.2.3 / 8.1.4 bootloader is enabled.
    : unless you are sure your current bootloader is not 7.3.0 / 8.3.0 bootloader 7.2.3 / 8.1.4 should probably be flashed - check the checkbox.
    -works on CM10.1
    -every flashed partition is read back and verified
    -shows progress when flashing

Update v1.01
    -added some feedback after pressing Flash,install script button
    -(hopefully) resolved problems with open recovery script
    Made this video off me using your app and love it great work and keep it up. please link in your OP if you think it will help others figure this out.
    http://youtu.be/a1bLCuQN0-U
    Can you tell me what steps you did to have twrp install by this app?

hope it helps.
    Installing 10.1 from Kindle OS 7.4.6

Hello galearned,

NOW im really Confused :confused:

My Goal is to flash a Kindle Fire HD 7 (7.4.6) with the Cyangenmod 10.1 / Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean (or would it be better to use 10.2 and Android 4.3 now?)

After reading quite a lot all about it and the tutorial from seokhun at
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2271909
    i was quite sure what and how i should do it... until by coincidence (looking for the most informations i can get) i just read your "update" notice in this Post here with Fireflash.apk :crying:

Does that mean i cannot use that tutorial and would brick the Kindle with a stock 7.4.6 OS because of the bootloader?

It is fairly difficult for someone not having done anything like this before and finding all kinds of different irritating informations leading to complete brain damage after reading pages and pages of them :p
    Maybe it would save us all a lot of time and work and bricked kindles, if there would at least be some quick tutorial somewhere which takes advantage of the common installed Stock OS - which is 7.4.6 right now on new devices and the specific files needed for that. The informations on xda are really good but sorting out the ones needed is really hard :cyclops:

I noticed, that there is no freedom boot loader 7.4.6 @ http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/tate/ to download yet and from the tutorial of seokhun i was quite sure, i could just use the 7.4.3 bootloader instead of that beacuse opening seokhun's tutorial and reading the last Thread in the"Most Thanked In This Thread" Box on top right which says "will this work on the 7.4.6 version" and reading in the post that it works is made me think like this. [uuh difficult to express but i hope you understand what i wanted to say *g*]

I guess you get the problem im having now...

What files do i really need to complete my Task without bricking the Kinde on OS 7.4.6 and using cyanogenmod 10.1 (cm-10.1-20130812-UNOFFICIAL-tate.zip) ?

Did i get it right, that with your update notice i can just use the kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.4.6.img out of the Box from the "Kinology-step1-boot-7.4.6.zip" file instead of the "kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.4.3.img" from hashcode on goo.im and it will then work the way seokhun discribed the process in his tutorial and not brick the kindle?

Or would it be better and work like seokhun discribed if i would downgrade the Stock OS to 7.4.3 first? What would i have to do then?

Thanks and Big Greets
    ch1ller

ch1ller: Good evening:
    You will be just fine installing TWRP and using the 7.4.3 freedom boot image.
    Once you have either manually installed TWRP or, used Fireflash11, you will have instaledl Stack over ride, freedom boot 7.4.3, 7.2.3 bootloader, et al. As I indicated, you will not be able to boot up into the Kindle 7.4.6 OS because of 7.4.3 and 7.4.6 mismatch.....
    However, you indicated you want install CM 10.1 or 10.2 so, you are all set.

[[You can always boot up into Recovery and then install 7.4.3OS.zip or CM 10.1 Just follow the instructions below.....]]

1: Install Fireflash11 You can download the APK to the SD card and then use the browser to install.
    Make sure "install from unknown sources" is checked in settings/security or devices.
    Using the browser file:///sdcard/fireflash11.apk then go

2: Root tablet (You are probably already rooted?) {Fireflash11 will not run unless rooted}
    3: Download Freedom boot 7.4.3 to tablet SD card.
    4: Download TWRP recovery 2.6.1 to tablet SD card.
    5: Download CM10.1 or cm 10.2 or both to tablet SD card.
    6: Download Hashcode Stock 7.4.3) S.zip file to tablet SD card.
    7: Download GAPPs.zip for CM 10.1 to tablet SD card.

[[[You are downloading five (5) files to the SD card before you start Fireflash11]]]

8: Run Fireflash11 and select everything (check stack, check bootloader, check freedom boot and select from SD card, check recovery and select from SD card, check prevent automatic script updates.

9: Clear all caches, etc.but, do not clear SD card if this is a choice.

10: Down at the bottom of the Fireflash11 screen, Click install script (This installs Stack, TWRP, Recovery and 2nd bootloader) (this is very quick - just a few seconds).

11: Once done Click "boot to recovery" at the bottom of the Fireflash11 screen.

12: Your tablet will boot up into recovery automatically.

13: Once in recovery, Wipe system, etc but, do not clear SD card (All you files and zips are on the SD card).

14: Once wiped In recovery, go ahead and click on install and choose CM 10.1, and then add zips and choose GAPPS, then swipe to install.

15: The Recovery program will now install CM10.1 to you tablet.

16: You could also choose to install Hashcode Stock 7.4.3 OS.zip instead of CM 10.1 (Your choice)

17: Now you see why you are OK.....You can use Recovery to install any OS you want including 7.4.3OS.zip (Gets rid of 7.4.6 for you)
    This is why you are not in trouble........

18: If you do not put all the files on the SD card before you start, you would then be in trouble and would need a fastboot cable or know how to use ADB sideload in Recovery to fix the OS -Freedom boot mismatch but, will all the files you need already on the tablet, it does not matter if you have a boot version mismatch.....

[[Yes, you could also extract the Freedom boot 7.4.6 from Kinology and use it instead of Hashcode's 7.4.3 version but, in your case, you want to immediately install CM10.1 so, it does not matter if you can boot into the Kindle OS or not.....]]

[[I have not tried Cm10.2 yet so, I am not sure how stable it is. Cm10.1 is a sure bet.]]

Regards

Usage: download files you want to flash (boot image, recovery image, ROM .zip files). After downloading files, select them and check appropriate options. In attached image there is an example for flashing Hashcode's bootloader + TWRP + stock ROM v8.1.3 with installed stack override on a KFHD8.9. After all files are selected and options checked as shown on the image, first tap Flash,install script button and then Reboot into recovery button. All required files can be found in Hashcode's threads.