FORUMS

(car audio) Parrot ASTEROID Smart

223 posts
Thanks Meter: 34
 
By qs504792, Senior Member on 26th January 2013, 07:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th October 2013, 01:09 AM |#1261  
donaldta's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 461
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsno

So the S120R only works with iPhone but their Atom works on both platforms, what's with this.

That's just how Cobra does business. Their very first iRadar was the Cobra iRadar 100 for iPhones and iPods back in 2010. They followed up the next year with the iRadar 200 for iOS and Android. The iRadar 100 and 200 was exactly the same beside the added Android support. This year they came up with iRadar 900 (Atom) for iOS and Android which is more compact than the previous models. But, if you look at what they have available from their online store it seems that they have phased out or in the processing of phasing out the Cobra iRadar 100 and 200.

If you go by their product releases and nomenclatures, the Cobra S120R would be synonymous the Cobra iRadar 100 since it has strict support for only iOS devices. That's probably why they changed the product number from S200R to S120R and dropped Android support after the product announcement. Maybe next year they'll release an iOS and Android version of the S-series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsno

What if I could get both units working together, maybe that could give me coverage.

I don't think it works that way. That's like saying to half-wits equal a whole or trying to get two nearsighted people without corrective lenses to spot something in the distance that it would actually require someone with 20/20 vision to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsno

Also the Atom is quite small, so maybe I could live with it tucked front of the mirror.

The only other option for Bluetooth that is semi hidden is the Escort Smart (that I've found). I already checked with them, theirs doesn't work under the hood, it must be installed on the windshield. It's $450ish so it's not super expensive, but it's bigger so harder to hide. But Escort get's really good ratings from both the testers and the users.

It is a shame that you don't have an overhead console in your headliner, like in a truck or SUV. You could probably get away with hiding a detector like the Cobra Atom or the Escort SmartRadar inside that area, provided that you cut out a holes for the optics that pick up the lasers.

Though quite honestly, I am surprised nobody has made a radar detector that is actually built into the actual rearview mirror. I've seen all sorts of things embedded in there; like compasses, temperature gauges, garage door openers, concierge systems, cameras, gps navigation, and rearview monitors. Just about anything one can imagine except an actual radar/laser detector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYGO

Donaldta: same thing, with Parrot, you won't need any display like the mirror integration. The app makes all that unnecessary. I should make a video of all that working. In fact, Escort Live makes my controls/display module unnecessary as well. I can control 100% of day to day activities from the app. The only time I'd need to use the controls/display is to change some deep settings (turning on/off specific Ka bands (making it MORE sensitive to the bands used in your area)). Thing is, I did that once & I've not needed to do that again. I also just remembered that I could change those settings when I connect my laptop to the detector to update firmware/database, still making it where I don't need the controls.

One thing I thought of that WOULD require the controls & in the car is being stopped in a state that doesn't allow detectors (LA/DC/VA). You'd need to power it off if you were to be stopped.

Thanks, I appreciate the added confirmation but already knew the physical display and controls were optional with the smartphone app. I'd want to have the added measure of having a second display just in case my passenger decides that she wants to futz around with Asteroid Smart while I'm driving. This would allow me to check the alerts/status while my headunit is otherwise occupied. Besides, I'm the kind that believes if you're in for a penny then you're in for a pound.

But, I would definitely appreciate seeing a video of it all working on the Asteroid Smart.
17th October 2013, 02:09 AM |#1262  
mpgrimes's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Lethbridge
Thanks Meter: 149
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldta

A little confused here. From my research, the Cobra Electronics iRadar 900 Atom Radar Detector is compatible for both Android and iPhone in one unit. Whereas the Cobra Electronics iRadar S120R S-series Radar is currently iOS only. Or are you referring to the Escort SmartRadar which has two separate versions for iOS or Android compatibility?

I've never seen the S120R installed but if it just the one unit that sits in the front of your car then I can imagine all the interference that the Bluetooth signal has to pass through in order to connect. The fact that the signal has to travel through grounded metal and past your engine compartment is a wonder in BT technology that it can connect at all. If that is the case it is a bad design premise in my opinion, and I highly doubt that Escort or Beltronics would ever make anything that mirrors it.

Personally, I would at least try the Atom radar first even though Cobra is snubbed by Radar Enthusiasts as being a joke. You shouldn't have BT issues with it because it'll be a shorter distance and with little to no interference. However, after getting enough time to review the unit, I would end up giving it all back knowing how poor Cobra radars are rated in the enthusiasts community. At some review sites, I have read it is better not to have a Cobra radar at all due to the false sense of security that gives with false alerts and poor sensitivity.

If you're not willing to buy a $1k+ system, the Escort SmartRadar for Android looks like a good deal at around $400-ish. Since it is native to Android, you can keep your iPhone in your pocket and not have to deal with any extra connections. It is not as hidden as the S120R but it will give you much better performance based on various reviews. My research points my personal radar wishlist to a Beltronics STiR Plus with Mirror Integration for complete stealth both visually and to a radar-detector detector but those prices start at $1,600 which is over 5x the investment of your S120R.

Just a heads up. Escort and belltronics are the same company for those who didn't know.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
17th October 2013, 02:55 AM |#1263  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYGO

Escort SmartRadar + Escort Live works & pretty well too. When I got my girl & my best friend a SmartRadar in Android & iOS, we were in the driveway installing them. We had them all wired & were fiddling with the settings when my buddy marked a "mobile camera" using the app in the truck & we were immediately notified about it in her car. (Note, I can't pair my Android phone to his iOS SmartRadar)

I'm fairly positive that adding a Parrot running Escort Live with the Escort SmartRadar is a winning combination. The SmartRadar comes with a cable that can tap into your mirror's power & then you have no exposed cables. With the Escort Live running, you don't even need the display/control module plugged into the SmartRadar. You can control 100% of the detector's settings/functionality from the app! Also, you could get a Direct Wire Smart Cord that has remote controls to mute/power, see these links:

Here's another issue I'm running into, I can't download Escort Live from either Google Play or Aptoide (same with Cobra). They haven't released these to Parrot because Parrot is not actually a smart phone. Any ideas how to get around this? I tried to get Cobra to release their software to Parrot but have been unsuccessful. I haven't tried yet with Escort. I'd love to side load it. I want to get this software on my Parrot before I buy the Escort Smart.

PS, I like your mirror idea. I sent multiple requests to Cobra to integrate their radar app with their GPS software. They never responded. Escort actually has a product, the Passport IQ that does combine GPS with a Radar: https://www.escortradar.com/iq/. I sent them an email asking them to essential make this available to Parrot (Android) via an app. They responded to me within 12 hours saying this has been passed up to management. One they responded to me and well maybe.
17th October 2013, 07:27 AM |#1264  
donaldta's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 461
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgrimes

Just a heads up. Escort and belltronics are the same company for those who didn't know.

Yep. Though technically since 1999, Beltronics has been a wholly owned subsidiary of Escort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsno

Here's another issue I'm running into, I can't download Escort Live from either Google Play or Aptoide (same with Cobra). They haven't released these to Parrot because Parrot is not actually a smart phone. Any ideas how to get around this? I tried to get Cobra to release their software to Parrot but have been unsuccessful. I haven't tried yet with Escort. I'd love to side load it. I want to get this software on my Parrot before I buy the Escort Smart.

I don't believe the problem is that the Asteroid isn't a smartphone. Tablets aren't smartphones either but these apps show up on them. It is more likely the problem is that Parrot hasn't registered the Asteroid Smart on Google Play. This is pretty obvious since we have to go through lengths to get it working. Google Play has several filters which prevent apps from showing up or being installing on devices. For example, apps that are marked as copy protected will now show up for devices not properly registered. Nor will apps show up if there are particular hardware or software requirements.

To get Escort Live and Cobra iRadar on the Asteroid Smart, I used Market Helper to spoof a Nexus 4 in US and T-Mobile then downloaded them using AppBrain.
17th October 2013, 03:47 PM |#1265  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldta

Yep. Though technically since 1999, Beltronics has been a wholly owned subsidiary of Escort.



I don't believe the problem is that the Asteroid isn't a smartphone. Tablets aren't smartphones either but these apps show up on them. It is more likely the problem is that Parrot hasn't registered the Asteroid Smart on Google Play. This is pretty obvious since we have to go through lengths to get it working. Google Play has several filters which prevent apps from showing up or being installing on devices. For example, apps that are marked as copy protected will now show up for devices not properly registered. Nor will apps show up if there are particular hardware or software requirements.

To get Escort Live and Cobra iRadar on the Asteroid Smart, I used Market Helper to spoof a Nexus 4 in US and T-Mobile then downloaded them using AppBrain.

Thanks I'll give this a whirl.
17th October 2013, 04:30 PM |#1266  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldta

Thanks, I appreciate the added confirmation but already knew the physical display and controls were optional with the smartphone app. I'd want to have the added measure of having a second display just in case my passenger decides that she wants to futz around with Asteroid Smart while I'm driving. This would allow me to check the alerts/status while my headunit is otherwise occupied. Besides, I'm the kind that believes if you're in for a penny then you're in for a pound.

But, I would definitely appreciate seeing a video of it all working on the Asteroid Smart.

You get audio notifications, so missing the visual isn't a big deal. The hardwired display would show "Live Cop" "Live Ka", etc. It's like any other, you'll get a notification, pull down, tap to focus & you can deal with it. Since it gives you a mile for live cop/live radar/live laser, you've got plenty of time to do what you need to do. I wish there was a way to make . . . (halfway through my thought, I'm betting it's possible via tasker) . . . EL focus on a notification. I'm going to test this later to get Tasker to focus on a notification. If this works, then I don't need to keep EL in the foreground. (Sidenote, I can't wait to get SWC working in my Cadillac. If I could, I would never really need to touch the screen again as most of the interaction I do is to switch tracks, adjust volume, etc).

I just realized that I do not have a way to power the ES in my car. I don't have a cigarette lighter cable for it. I don't want to go through the rigmarole of connecting it. I can show you how EL works though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsno

Here's another issue I'm running into, I can't download Escort Live from either Google Play or Aptoide (same with Cobra). They haven't released these to Parrot because Parrot is not actually a smart phone. Any ideas how to get around this? I tried to get Cobra to release their software to Parrot but have been unsuccessful. I haven't tried yet with Escort. I'd love to side load it. I want to get this software on my Parrot before I buy the Escort Smart.

PS, I like your mirror idea. I sent multiple requests to Cobra to integrate their radar app with their GPS software. They never responded. Escort actually has a product, the Passport IQ that does combine GPS with a Radar: https://www.escortradar.com/iq/. I sent them an email asking them to essential make this available to Parrot (Android) via an app. They responded to me within 12 hours saying this has been passed up to management. One they responded to me and well maybe.

Sideload it. I used APK Downloader, an extension for Google Chrome. Then I either copy them to the SD card (after removing it) or browse to the network share it's on via ES File Explorer & then copy it to the SD Card, then install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldta

Yep. Though technically since 1999, Beltronics has been a wholly owned subsidiary of Escort.

Yes, in fact I have Bel STi-R+ with Escort Smart Cord DW working together. The Bel STi-R+ is the EXACT SAME DETECTOR as the Escort 9500i, but for some reason, you get more software options with the STi-R+ & more hardware options with the 9500i. I can disable specific Ka bands in the STi-R+ that you can't (or last I heard) in the 9500i, but you get laser diffusers with the 9500i that you do not with the STi-R+.
17th October 2013, 05:33 PM |#1267  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYGO

Sideload it. I used APK Downloader, an extension for Google Chrome. Then I either copy them to the SD card (after removing it) or browse to the network share it's on via ES File Explorer & then copy it to the SD Card, then install it.

APK Downloader, is this an app? You say extension, where do I go in Chrome to add this? Thanks, Ron
17th October 2013, 05:52 PM |#1268  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsno

APK Downloader, is this an app? You say extension, where do I go in Chrome to add this? Thanks, Ron

http://codekiem.com/2012/02/24/apk-downloader/

Was pretty easy to do. Getting the DeviceID required an app. I would use the DeviceID from the Parrot.
18th October 2013, 08:44 PM |#1269  
mpgrimes's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Lethbridge
Thanks Meter: 149
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYGO

You get audio notifications, so missing the visual isn't a big deal. The hardwired display would show "Live Cop" "Live Ka", etc. It's like any other, you'll get a notification, pull down, tap to focus & you can deal with it. Since it gives you a mile for live cop/live radar/live laser, you've got plenty of time to do what you need to do. I wish there was a way to make . . . (halfway through my thought, I'm betting it's possible via tasker) . . . EL focus on a notification. I'm going to test this later to get Tasker to focus on a notification. If this works, then I don't need to keep EL in the foreground. (Sidenote, I can't wait to get SWC working in my Cadillac. If I could, I would never really need to touch the screen again as most of the interaction I do is to switch tracks, adjust volume, etc).

I just realized that I do not have a way to power the ES in my car. I don't have a cigarette lighter cable for it. I don't want to go through the rigmarole of connecting it. I can show you how EL works though.



Sideload it. I used APK Downloader, an extension for Google Chrome. Then I either copy them to the SD card (after removing it) or browse to the network share it's on via ES File Explorer & then copy it to the SD Card, then install it.



Yes, in fact I have Bel STi-R+ with Escort Smart Cord DW working together. The Bel STi-R+ is the EXACT SAME DETECTOR as the Escort 9500i, but for some reason, you get more software options with the STi-R+ & more hardware options with the 9500i. I can disable specific Ka bands in the STi-R+ that you can't (or last I heard) in the 9500i, but you get laser diffusers with the 9500i that you do not with the STi-R+.

You can add the laser diffusers to the stir+. Did an install a bit ago with them. One thing I found out. None of then detect or block the new laser ally lidar gun. Testing courtesy my friends at the local highway patrol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
18th October 2013, 10:27 PM |#1270  
donaldta's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 461
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgrimes

You can add the laser diffusers to the stir+. Did an install a bit ago with them. One thing I found out. None of then detect or block the new laser ally lidar gun. Testing courtesy my friends at the local highway patrol.

I think at this time if want to do laser shifting the Blinder HP-905 are the way to go. It will alert and block all Lidar guns with ample time to allow the driver to slow down and avoid speed tickets.
19th October 2013, 06:15 PM |#1271  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYGO

http://codekiem.com/2012/02/24/apk-downloader/

Was pretty easy to do. Getting the DeviceID required an app. I would use the DeviceID from the Parrot.

Okay I'm a little app challenged here. Could someone explain what each of these apps does:
Market Helper
AppBrain
APK Downloader
DeviceID from the Parrot

I have two goals here, one I want to be able to install non-compatible apps, like Escort Live and Cobra iRadar (and latest versions of some installed apps), but secondly I want to side-load the apps versus sending them to Parrot. Downloading always takes several attempts and a long time. I understand I need to trick the system into seeing my parrot as a compatible device, which app does that. Does APK extender give me the ability to side-load, if not is there an app/ext that does? Thanks in advance. By the way I really enjoy this stuff.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsno

Okay I'm a little app challenged here. Could someone explain what each of these apps does:
Market Helper
AppBrain
APK Downloader
DeviceID from the Parrot

I have two goals here, one I want to be able to install non-compatible apps, like Escort Live and Cobra iRadar (and latest versions of some installed apps), but secondly I want to side-load the apps versus sending them to Parrot. Downloading always takes several attempts and a long time. I understand I need to trick the system into seeing my parrot as a compatible device, which app does that. Does APK extender give me the ability to side-load, if not is there an app/ext that does? Thanks in advance. By the way I really enjoy this stuff.

I installed Market Helper but it has "send device info" & "donate" bars over the top of the Activate button, so I can't select activate. Any suggestions. Still need answers to above.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes