24th February 2012, 08:33 AM |#11  
Recognized Developer
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 15,175

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuhto

Will this method work for all of the ROMs we have here for the mt4gs? One I have been looking at is Bulletproof. If I use the same technique you've explained, will I get the same end result?

yep, it will work!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tbalden For This Useful Post: [ View ]

24th February 2012, 12:04 PM |#12  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Awesome I look forward to flashing.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
26th February 2012, 07:08 PM |#13  
Flag new york city
Thanks Meter: 8

More
hi, pls excuse my ignorance.

does this method grant su access?
26th February 2012, 08:25 PM |#14  
Recognized Developer
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 15,175

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.books

hi, pls excuse my ignorance.

does this method grant su access?

All of the ICS roms (and all of the custom GB roms as far as i know) are rooted here, and include the 'su' binary and superuser apk. That's what counts, so short answer:

yes
1st March 2012, 10:16 AM |#15  
Flag Aurora CO via The Ville, SC
Thanks Meter: 84

Donate to Me
More
YESSSSS!!! But got damn I can't wait until S-OFF is a reality. This sucks lol but its better than having Tmobile take over ym phone with retarded apps. Thanks to all you DEV dudes who work hard for this device..
The Following User Says Thank You to d3athb4dishonor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift d3athb4dishonor Ad-Free
1st March 2012, 04:51 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 1,144

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3athb4dishonor

YESSSSS!!! But got damn I can't wait until S-OFF is a reality. This sucks lol but its better than having Tmobile take over ym phone with retarded apps. Thanks to all you DEV dudes who work hard for this device..

We'll nail it eventually. It's a tough nut to crack, but at least along the way we found a temporary fix.

We can now go back to S-ON from S-OFF, and the standard response to how to do that for the longest time was 'it's not possible'. Anything is possible with the right amount of effort invested. I am sure we'll come up with some more goodies along the way...some are brewing even now.

I've made S-ON to S-OFF my life's work until it's done, and have mostly given up on everything else I was working on to achieve that end.

There are a few other devs who have been spending a lot of time on this as well, and we are working together and unraveling the issue one layer at a time.

We'll get it, but it's the toughest nut to crack - the manufacturer is doing whatever they can to prevent us from being able to do so...there is a specific effort to block us from doing it that must be overcome.

Meantime, since we don't have a real RUU for this phone on any software version, the search for one came back with the leaked copy of the OTA as an official signed HTC package. ( To me it seemed like a consolation prize after the exhausting search for an RUU...didn't get one, but got at least this )

I'm glad someone went ahead and made a guide for people to use it to at least get unlocked since HTC broke the OTA they actually pushed over-the-air, this package is what it was supposed to be.

Hang in there, we'll get all you guys S-OFFed as soon as we can!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blue6IX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Blue6IX Ad-Free
3rd March 2012, 09:50 PM |#17  
Flag Midlothian, TX
Thanks Meter: 126

More
Y'all are doing a kickass job man. I'm sure once this phone is all the way opened up and dev see that, it will gain more publicity. I unlocked my phone with the htcdev.com, but haven't loaded up a rom yet. All I've really done is uninstalled a few bloatware apps, but can't wait until I can have total access to everything and see what this badboy has to offer.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to mrbmg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrbmg Ad-Free
13th March 2012, 11:59 PM |#18  
Flag Plano, TX
Thanks Meter: 19

Donate to Me
More
ok.. noob question, can I flash boot after flashing custom rom?
14th March 2012, 01:14 AM |#19  
Flag Roseville
Thanks Meter: 344

More
First off: Thanks are due across the board, as well as to the man who made the .exe Noob-proof app it helped a little bit and worked great

Second: Okay.. I recieved a warranty replacement..new HBoot. following this guide I did all required.

UPON using fastboot command to boot the boot.img it reboots and starts to boot up PyroIce 1.1.2..... which you say isnt right since i need to flash the ROM again in Recovery..

If i Do that it wont boot again and hangs on the MT4GS splash screen, i think it is actually due to the fact that i also flash the adreno drivers patch, but i am not going to try and tinker with it.

bottom line, working... thanks so much guys
14th March 2012, 01:34 AM |#20  
Flag Cowford, FL - Blackview BV9500 Pro
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazam1203

ok.. noob question, can I flash boot after flashing custom rom?

I've seen that boot.img is where the kernels are, and I've seen that to flash an ICS ROM in that thread that in order to flash an ICS ROM on a MT4GS you need to flash a kernel after the ROM, in the form of a boot.img.

So I'll say, hesitantly, "yes".

Unless, of course, you meant something else. That, or, I misunderstood something somewhere...

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoNsPiRiSiZe

First off: Thanks are due across the board, as well as to the man who made the .exe Noob-proof app it helped a little bit and worked great

I don't know about the dot-exe but I'll agree nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoNsPiRiSiZe

Second: Okay.. I recieved a warranty replacement..new HBoot. following this guide I did all required.

UPON using fastboot command to boot the boot.img it reboots and starts to boot up PyroIce 1.1.2..... which you say isnt right since i need to flash the ROM again in Recovery..

If i Do that it wont boot again and hangs on the MT4GS splash screen, i think it is actually because i also flash the adreno drivers patch, but i am not going to try and tinker with it.

bottom line, working... thanks so much guys

I don't know much about the whole ROM thing and Android in general. I come from G1 land, where everything was easy . You just flash the ROM and you're done. However, if I understand correctly, here you just flash the ROM you want (ICS whatever) and then the kernel (boot). Did I miss something along the way?

I would think that the kernel should be no different conceptually than the one in Linux (or Windows, or OS-X, or...). It's the interface between the software packages ("Android", plus the apks, framework, all that) and the hardware. So really, I don't see why any ROM shouldn't work as long as your kernel has everything the ROM needs to interface with the hardware and the framework has everything the ROM needs to interface with the software (or the software with the kernel). Do I understand correctly?

[EDIT]
I just reread that... you booted the hboot via fastboot instead of writing it to the phone first... which I guess is smarter than what I did -- cus if it won't work at least you don't brick it that way. Do you have a link to the howto for that? I'm sure it's simple and easy, I just have never done it...
[/EDIT]
14th March 2012, 02:39 AM |#21  
Flag Roseville
Thanks Meter: 344

More
@"cj chitwood"

I followed this thread. My point in posting my experience was that *IT APPEARS* I didn't need to flash the ROM... I just used command "fastboot boot boot.img" and it did its thing. Idk what happened to make that happen but how I read the OP guide it doesn't seem it means to work like that.

So what I did. I have ADB/Fastboot setup in a folder on my C: drive. I put the extracted boot.img from the ROM of my choice into that folder and hooked up my phone to my laptop.
I then booted into Fastboot mode and used the Fastboot command as described in OP. After that my phone went into "Know-it-all" mode and just booted up the ROM.

If I need to clarify I can as I wrote this from memory.

Just my spare change.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)