1,784 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,608

By Emmanuel U, Inactive Recognized Developer on 2nd December 2013, 03:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
KitKatDS - Android 4.4 (CM 11.0) for the myTouch 4G Slide

README
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel U

Ugh... (oh how I've dreaded making this post, go grab the kleenex or you can just skip the next paragraph and get to the jist)

So my (previously used and "refurbished") myTouch is slowly becoming useless. So I had originally dropped it onto concrete (a month and a half ago) in which I didn't notice any visual/cosmetic damages so I assumed I was fine. However promptly after attempting to open my keyboard I notice my phone would freeze for 5 or seconds before registering the hardware event and rotating screen etc. It eventually began to progress to display weird digital artifacts at random times during use (which would cause annoying lag). Then one faithful day, the 'lag' was getting to excessive while I urgently needed to use my phone so I battery pulled in hopes of rebooting the phone as quickly as possible to use...but just my luck; the phone turned back on but the display didn't (in the sense that I felt the phone vibrate when I initially pressed the power button alongside seeing the small red light in my trackpad light up). So after a stressful day of trying to play with my phone in fastboot/adb I managed to turn my display back on. But now the display failure has progressed to the point of my phone only being usable when they keyboard is pulled out around 2/5 of the way and kept in that position....all other positions render the display useless. This makes it fairly difficult to use the device seeing as it has to be kept in this abnormal position to function.

Jist: I ordered a temporary Galaxy S2 off ebay until my contract ends so that I can switch carriers all together. So I won't really be able dev on this phone like I use to with it being broken. However I'll try to still occasionally update my roms as far as upstream...but any bug fixes at this point sadly won't be able to come from me as debugging on this phone is tedious. But keep in mind I'll still poke my head periodically in this forum and see if my 2 cents is needed anywhere. But don't expect anything more from me then 'upstream updates'.

Good day guys and remember to have a firm grip on your phone at all times.

Update:
First of all I'm quite flattered to all the people who offered up a MT4GS to giveaway, such a generous community we have here

However this will not be necessary as I still have a slightly working MT4GS...the only reason I got a GSII is because it's not functional enough to be my daily driver due to the position it has to be held in to function. Nevertheless I can still develop on the phone (which was why I stated I was planning on updating this rom soon). But I'd like to say thanks again directly to @BaconPancakes and @Ziida and anyone else who may have been planning to offer me a a MT4GS...but it won't be needed.

Notes:

Found a dead link? Let me know! (check my sig for a backup of all my files for the time being)

You must only use the included kernel! Or else DO NOT report bugs

Bugs/Issues:
ADSP (1080p Camcorder) occasionally leaks memory and force closes. Reboot to fix. (I'll fix when sync with CAF)
You tell me of any other issues?

Disclaimer:
Code:
#include <emman.h>
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

Thanks to:
Team Hydra
SilverL
Scverhagen
Team DS & CyanogenMod
Team Hydra
Code Aurora
Bruce2728
Evervolv
LiquidSmooth
CarbonDev
SlimRoms
RootWebGod
Overhauling
SultanXDA

Link broken? Try one of the mirrors, Still a no go? Goto my signature and click the file backups link, then navigate to what you were looking for.

Recommended KK 4.4 Gapps: De-Bloated

Latest MD5:
77f07aefbddcac575b3a0c84d7f945f4
v1.4:

AFH | Mirror #1 / #2

All Releases: AFH | TRU Mirrors

Sources
The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to Emmanuel U For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Emmanuel U Ad-Free

2nd December 2013, 03:26 AM |#2  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Chi-Town Suburbs

More
Changelog:

Code:
--- v1.4 ION- December 9, 2014 ---
- Updates from Upstream CM
- Camcorder is now fully functional
- WildKernel Updates
- ADSP may occasionally leak memory when changing camcorder to 1080p, resulting in an force close. A reboot will fix. (I will fix this after I sync with CAF)

--- v1.3 ION w/ WildKernel v001 - October 7, 2014 ---
- Kernel must be downloaded separately, and flashed alongside KKDS v1.3 
- Camcorder Issues Fixed
- Battery issue patched
- No bugs :) (for now lol)

--- v1.3 ION - February 2, 2014 ---
- Full Wipe is required for camcorder to function from all previous versions (1.1 and below).
- Kernel Memory Map has had major changes, RAM is currently at 518mb (I will allocate more in time)
- Video Recording and Playback fully functional
- Camera app was rolled back a bit because current upstream version has some issues
- All bugs fixed except those listed in OP
- This and All future versions will have an ION kernel and will not be able to use any other previous kernels (unless noted otherwise).
- Tell me how this new kernel feels?

--- v1.2 ION Preview Build 2 - January 31, 2014 ---
- Full Wipe is required for camcorder to function from all previous versions.
- Kernel Memory Map has had major changes, RAM is currently at 518mb (I will allocate more in time)
- Video Playback works
- 720p video recording works
- Vidc is now fixed, all that is left now is Venc.
- Lots of kernel drivers have been updated for ION from CAF- This and All future versions will have an ION kernel and will not be able to use any other previous kernels (unless noted otherwise).
- EGL libs updated, no more laggy apps.

--- v1.2 ION Preview - December 14, 2013 ---
- Full Wipe is recommended but NOT required from 1.1 or below.
- This and All future versions will have an ION kernel and will not be able to use any other previous kernels (unless noted otherwise).
- Black Screen Bugs are fixed.
- Memory Map Overhaul
- Ramdisk changes (ION)
- Camera Rotates Regardless of System Setting
- Feature Updates from CM Upstream
- Tell me how this new kernel feels?

--- v1.1 - December 4, 2013 ---
- SDcard is now fully fixed.
- Mounting USB Storage is fixed
- LCD Density lowered to 220 to make layouts look better.
- Ramdisk changes
- Feature Updates from CM Upstream

--- v1.0 Beta - December 1, 2013 ---
- Initial Release

Screenies:

Coming Soon!
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Emmanuel U For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Emmanuel U Ad-Free
2nd December 2013, 04:39 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 84

More
AOSP Browser is being funky across the board on 4.4. It's being kind of screwy on my Nexus 4 too and it's due to the removal of WebView (IIRC, AOSP browser was just a wrapper). I wouldn't worry too much about that as opposed to the other problems.

There should be better performance though, I've been reading about great improvements on older phones using KitKat ROMs (like the Nexus One).
2nd December 2013, 06:11 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Talking WoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel U

"KitKatDS Beta - Android 4.4 (CM 11.0) for the myTouch 4G Slide"

Thank You Man...

You're awesome Emmanuel..
2nd December 2013, 06:36 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Thanks for this one! Flashed, and booted.
Bugs which I've found, mostly related to SD card:

Occasionally, Settings crashes when tapping on Apps.
Apps crashes when sliding to "ON SD CARD".
SD card is recognised by File Manager, but not by Camera. Files can be accessed via File Manager.
When Gallery opens, a pop-up says "No external storage available". But, the folders found on the SD card do appear in Gallery, behind the pop-up. Same thing happens when opening pics from File Manager. Gallery opens the pic, but still says "No external storage available". Then, tapping anywhere on the screen exits Gallery. Apollo can also access and play audio files from SD card.

And sometimes, phone soft-reboots when installing apks.

Something about switching Wi-Fi on. Sometimes it says "Turning Wi-Fi on..." aaaand keeps saying that, whilst Wi-Fi remains off. Rebooting the phone fixes it.

Gesture-typing on Android keyboard doesn't seem to work.

Oops, oops. Android Runtime (ART) causes bootloop.

I think the LCD density should be lowered. 240 is much. For instance, I've set up a PIN protection on the lockscreen and it says "6..." instead of "6 MNO", "7 P..." instead of "7 PQRS", "9..." instead of "9 WXYZ" - I've personally set it to 200 and now everything's well displayed. :P

Keep up the good work!
2nd December 2013, 12:55 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 106

More
Wow it's Kitkat! Thanks a lot!
3rd December 2013, 04:19 AM |#7  
Flag Chi-Town Suburbs

More
There has been a misconception on a bug with this rom, all other internet browsers work. The only one that does not function is the stock browser app.

SDcard still needs more playing around with and the lcd density has been changed to 220 as it looks better. Hopefully once fixed an update will be out soon making this rom a stable, in which I can go help out @scverhagen with 3.4
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emmanuel U For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Emmanuel U Ad-Free
4th December 2013, 04:50 AM |#8  
Flag Chi-Town Suburbs

More
I was able to fully fix the SDcard today, expect (hopefully) the first stable release tomorrow.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Emmanuel U For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Emmanuel U Ad-Free
4th December 2013, 05:26 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 913

More
Awesome dude, thanks for the sources! I can update my rom
4th December 2013, 05:41 AM |#10  
I am totally keeping an eye on this thread. In addition to using my phone as a phone (LOL), using it as a wifi/bluetooth hotspot is also a major use case for me. Looking forward to seeing other people's experience and if the tethering works works out, I might just jump onboard too!

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk 2
5th December 2013, 01:24 AM |#11  
Flag Chi-Town Suburbs

More
Update, Enjoy!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Emmanuel U For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Emmanuel U Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)