How I fixed the MTP issues on Nexus 7

Search This thread

getmefive

Oct 14, 2010
Chennai
Another way of fixing this on Windows 8: This problem may happen because you have the Google ADB driver from the Android SDK installed. Windows will pick the ADB driver over the MTP driver, even when USB debugging is turned off on the Nexus 7. To fix this:

1. Plug the Nexus 7 in and make sure USB mode is set to MTP
  2. Run devmgmt.msc
  3. Locate the ADB driver, which may be under "Android Devices" or "ADB Devices"
  4. Right-click on it and select "Update driver software"
  5. "Browse my computer for driver software"
  6. "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  7. With "Show compatible hardware" checked you should see these two drivers under "Model":
    • "Android ADB Interface"
    • "MTP USB Device"
  8. Select "MTP USB Device" and click Next.
  9. Device should now appear as an MTP device.

THanks a lot.. works fine !

jkkk88

Jan 21, 2013
Guys, for easy file access on n7 from computer you can also use network access . Just install ftp, sftp or similar server from play store. On cm 10.1 it is enough to configure builtin sshd to provide sftp server. And on computer side then total commander, winscp or another favourite tool.

IcedDog

Feb 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
SOLVED:
in device messenger, right click on 'unknown device' and update driver/browse my computer../let me pick from list.../portable device/Manufacturer(standard MTP device)/MTP USB device

say YES to install anyway (even though it will blow up the world). after install, unknown device changes to Nexus 7 (or 10 I would hope, but I have 7), this also fixes problem with my Kindle Fire HD 7.
YaY!
Thanks!! I did this with my Gen 1 Nexus 7, but I just picked up the Gen 2 and forgot the steps to fix the MTP issue...once again, it worked like a charm :good:

ifriteffect

Jul 26, 2010
Another way of fixing this on Windows 8: This problem may happen because you have the Google ADB driver from the Android SDK installed. Windows will pick the ADB driver over the MTP driver, even when USB debugging is turned off on the Nexus 7. To fix this:

2. Run devmgmt.msc
  7. With "Show compatible hardware" checked you should see these two drivers under "Model":
    • "MTP USB Device"

You sir, are a life saver...I went through sooo many forums and such trying to find the right answer, unfortunately not a lot had info on Windows 8. Thank you.

CCT1

Sep 18, 2012
thanks much

2. Run devmgmt.msc
    • "MTP USB Device"

This is what finally worked for me...and on XP. The ADB driver was taking over the MTP driver and I couldn't stop one without stopping the other. Thanks so much!

RED_

Jan 5, 2011
London
God dammit this is happening to me. I definitely screwed something up with the android SDK because under device manager the Nexus 7 is showing up under "SAMSUNG Android phone" and the name is "ASUS ADB". Unfortunately nothing has worked so far. Something must have screwed up when I had to reinstall my Galaxy Nexus driver for me to continue developing (Well sending apps to it anyway).

Any ideas?

Last edited:

MattOG

Dec 22, 2009
SOLVED:
in device messenger, right click on 'unknown device' and update driver/browse my computer../let me pick from list.../portable device/Manufacturer(standard MTP device)/MTP USB device

say YES to install anyway (even though it will blow up the world). after install, unknown device changes to Nexus 7 (or 10 I would hope, but I have 7), this also fixes problem with my Kindle Fire HD 7.
YaY!

This worked for my Nexus 5 having the same issue.

longreach

Nov 1, 2009
Thanks for this. Lost the drivers while doing as described in Nexus Root Toolkit but this got me going again. :good:

rocha113

Sep 1, 2010
Worked for me on 64bit AMD win7

64bit AMD windows 7.

I have old 2012 Nexus7, new 2013 Nexus7, and Nexus5
worked like a charm.
Thanks

evaradar

Aug 29, 2010
Toronto
Since I got Nexus 7, I was not able to use it as MTP device in Windows 7 64bits.
Yesterday, I checked the optional Windows updates and noticed a new Samsung MTP driver. So I updated the driver and when I connected the tablet running on 4.1.1, the device was not detected. Today, after I got the OTA update, I tried again to connect the tablet and it failed to detect the device properly.

These are the steps I completed, that fixed the MTP issue:
1) Open the Devices and Printers in Control Panel, the tablet should be listed under Unspecified devices.
2) Right click on it and select Properties.
3) Click on Change Settings button.
4) Go to Driver tab and click on Uninstall button.

Make sure you check the Delete Driver option, when you uninstall the driver.
I did not have to reboot the computer, by simply connecting the tablet Windows detected the new hardware and reinstalled the proper drivers.

Now I can access both my Nexus phone and tablet, using the same cable and through adb.
Not sure if the combination of both 4.1.2 and new Samsung drivers helped, but the above steps fixed the MTP detection issues I had. Check the Microsoft driver date, is from 2006???

Worked like a charm! I have been wondering why it was only affecting my Nexus 7 but not my other Nexus devices. I had to switch to camera mode, transfer files to the DCIM folder and then move them to their respective locations. Vice versa when transferring to the computer.

OMGBrowniez

Jun 11, 2009
Norfolk
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Since I got Nexus 7, I was not able to use it as MTP device in Windows 7 64bits.
Yesterday, I checked the optional Windows updates and noticed a new Samsung MTP driver. So I updated the driver and when I connected the tablet running on 4.1.1, the device was not detected. Today, after I got the OTA update, I tried again to connect the tablet and it failed to detect the device properly.

1) Open the Devices and Printers in Control Panel, the tablet should be listed under Unspecified devices.

I did not have to reboot the computer, by simply connecting the tablet Windows detected the new hardware and reinstalled the proper drivers.

Now I can access both my Nexus phone and tablet, using the same cable and through adb.
Not sure if the combination of both 4.1.2 and new Samsung drivers helped, but the above steps fixed the MTP detection issues I had. Check the Microsoft driver date, is from 2006???

IMG_12102012_185359.png

IMG_12102012_192302.png

IMG_12102012_185437.png

IMG_12102012_191806.png
Worked like a charm! Thank you didn't even have to unplug my device and the whole process took literally less than a minute

skells

Jul 6, 2012
I'd like to say thanks for this. Even though I don't own a Nexus 7, I own a Nexus 5 and encountered the exact same problem.

pastryking

Apr 8, 2011
Another way of fixing this on Windows 8: This problem may happen because you have the Google ADB driver from the Android SDK installed. Windows will pick the ADB driver over the MTP driver, even when USB debugging is turned off on the Nexus 7. It also comes back when you upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. To fix this:

2. Run devmgmt.msc
  7. With "Show compatible hardware" checked you should see two drivers under "Model":
    • Either "MTP USB Device" or "Composite USB Device"
  8. Select "MTP/Composite USB Device" (that is, the one that isn't "Android ADB Interface") and click Next.

Confirmed working with the Nexus 7 2013 as well.

Did the trick thank you so much for this mang

Edbert

Sep 18, 2013
I do not intend to necro this thread but just wanted to help out others.

I was having a very similar issue on a Galaxy Note 3 connected to Win7x64. Worked fine with PTP but failed entirely as MTP.

I was not able to fix it by downloading different drivers, I tried several sources for that. I was able to fix it by using a generic (the ones that come with Windoze) driver though. If you click on "update driver", then browse, then "let me pick"; you should see one or two listed as "MTP Device". Uncheck the box saying "show compatible hardware (I know it sounds wrong) and then you'll see, still within the "(Standard MTP Device)" category on the left a different driver in the right side pane. Choose "MTP USB Device" and accept.

It fixed mine completely, and no more downloads or reboots. Definitely worth a try IMO, hope it helps someone.

firas

Feb 26, 2005

This worked for me with Android 4.4.4. Thank you :)

Charles Collins

Sep 26, 2009
Belfast
Another way of fixing this on Windows 8: This problem may happen because you have the Google ADB driver from the Android SDK installed. Windows will pick the ADB driver over the MTP driver, even when USB debugging is turned off on the Nexus 7. It also comes back when you upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. To fix this:

2. Run devmgmt.msc
  7. With "Show compatible hardware" checked you should see two drivers under "Model":
  8. Select "MTP/Composite USB Device" (that is, the one that isn't "Android ADB Interface") and click Next.

Came across this post some how because I had the same issue with my Nexus 5. Thank you so much for helping me out. Pulling my out trying to sort this out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2. Run devmgmt.msc

IMG_12102012_185359.png

IMG_12102012_192302.png

IMG_12102012_185437.png

IMG_12102012_191806.png
    Reinstalled ADB drivers to try this... MTB device does not appear on list.
    Why can't someone just post a link to the drivers needed for MTB to work?

SOLVED:

YaY!
    thanks much

2. Run devmgmt.msc
      • "MTP USB Device"

This is what finally worked for me...and on XP. The ADB driver was taking over the MTP driver and I couldn't stop one without stopping the other. Thanks so much!
    If anyone having problems turn off USB debugging and device will show up

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium