How to root the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active on the NG3 update

Search This thread

James L

May 13, 2012
Peoria IL
www.root-android-easy.com
A new update is being released for the S5 Active, since i didn't see a thread on how to root the device... Here it is...

Towel root works on the NE4 build but will not work on the new NG3 update.

So what i did was downgraded with the firmware file found on Sammobile with the NE4 build.
Then used Towel root and installed SuperSU, it said it failed to install Supersu but after a reboot all was well.
Oh this was a AT&T S5 active.

SuperSU worked fine and root was verified!

I haven't posted much before. I would like to give back to the awesome community who has done so much for me! :D

Hit the thanks button if i helped! :D

Last edited:

hitncnotes

Aug 29, 2014
Could really use your help

A new update is being released for the S5 Active, since i didn't see a thread on how to root the device... Here it is...

So what i did was downgraded with the firmware file found on Sammobile with the NE4 build.
Then used Towel root and installed SuperSU, it said it failed to install Supersu but after a reboot all was well.

I haven't posted much before. I would like to give back to the awesome community who has done so much for me! :D

Trying to use your same method
I am trying to root my phone with Towel root and it won't recognize my phone either. My phone deleted all it's text messages, for some reason, last night and I need to root my phone so I can save some of the messages. Came across your post and figured you can help me. I downloaded the may version of the sm-g870A and odin. Odin won't open. I've never done this before and could use your help. If I can downgrade my firmware, or change it, in a way where Towel root would recognize my phone that would be exactly what I need. Also tried all the Modstrings, did no good. Whatever you could say to help, can hit me up personally and help me, idk if you could do that, but it'd be awesome if you could help me.

LuckyColdJohnson

Dec 27, 2012
Garland, TX
I am trying to root my phone with Towel root and it won't recognize my phone either. My phone deleted all it's text messages, for some reason, last night and I need to root my phone so I can save some of the messages. Came across your post and figured you can help me. I downloaded the may version of the sm-g870A and odin. Odin won't open. I've never done this before and could use your help. If I can downgrade my firmware, or change it, in a way where Towel root would recognize my phone that would be exactly what I need. Also tried all the Modstrings, did no good. Whatever you could say to help, can hit me up personally and help me, idk if you could do that, but it'd be awesome if you could help me.

You should try my thread here guys. >>>> CLICK ME PLEASE AND HIT THANKS IF IT WORKS FOR YOU

landonfox00

Nov 2, 2014
Hi, I really appreciated your post, but was confused with "NE4" & "NG3" can someone please explain what these are and how would I downgrade to NE4? Thanks

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Hi, I really appreciated your post, but was confused with "NE4" & "NG3" can someone please explain what these are and how would I downgrade to NE4? Thanks

NE4 and NG3 are official kernel images...
Downgrade consists of flashing the NE4 kernel image via Odin...then rooting the device....and then flashing the NG3 kernel via Odin which will give you a fully rooted rom that is the latest version...

Knox will NOT trip if you follow the thread instructions...

We are forced to downgrade the kernel to gain root due to the exploit being patched in the latest update...

The root method works perfectly....g

landonfox00

Nov 2, 2014
Thank you for your help

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Thanks so much u guys, the root was successful

Reactions: gregsarg

Rootmaster906

Dec 2, 2020
Nexus 6
Samsung Galaxy Note 10

Sorry to revive an old thread but I am on 5.0. how do I downgrade to 4.4.4? I've done it in the past but I forgot how to do it

Rootmaster906

Dec 2, 2020
Nexus 6
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
Find the firmware and put it into the AP slot of Odin.
Lol. That is not what I'm asking. what I'm asking for is what firmware do I need to step backwards to kit Kat. I know if I can get it on revision 2 bootloader lollipop, I can downgrade to revision one kit Kat. I did this in the past but I forgot how. Right now I downgraded to 5.0 and I'm trying kingroot and Kingo root. It's not working

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You should try my thread here guys. >>>> CLICK ME PLEASE AND HIT THANKS IF IT WORKS FOR YOU
    Thank you for your help

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Thanks so much u guys, the root was successful
    I did. Says fuse binary of 2. That's why I need the lp firmware with the binary of 1. So that I can downgrade to 4.4. Believe me I know what I'm doing, I just can't find the appropriate firmware. I need the boc 5 firmware. But that was an OTA I think
    Can't find BOC5 anywhere