[Q&A] [HOW-TO] ADB via VirtualBox USB passthrough (Windows host to Ubuntu guest)

Search This thread
Q

QA Bot

Q&A for [HOW-TO] ADB via VirtualBox USB passthrough (Windows host to Ubuntu guest)

Some developers prefer that questions remain separate from their main development thread to help keep things organized. Placing your question within this thread will increase its chances of being answered by a member of the community or by the developer.

Before posting, please use the forum search and read through the discussion thread for [HOW-TO] ADB via VirtualBox USB passthrough (Windows host to Ubuntu guest). If you can't find an answer, post it here, being sure to give as much information as possible (firmware version, steps to reproduce, logcat if available) so that you can get help.

Thanks for understanding and for helping to keep XDA neat and tidy! :)

mollarsonne

Nov 13, 2013
Galaxy Nexus with 4.3 is seen offline inside VirtualBox/Ubuntu 14.04

Hi,

I'm trying to access a Galaxy Nexus hooked up to a Windows machine through VirtualBox running Ubuntu 14.04.
I followed this tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=570452, but the devices keeps showing offline:
adb devices
List of devices attached
0146B5681401101C offline

Here is what lsusb gives me:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04e8:6860 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd GT-I9100 Phone [Galaxy S II], GT-I9300 Phone [Galaxy S III], GT-P7500 [Galaxy Tab 10.1]
When I don't run VB, windows adb gives me:
adb devices
List of devices attached
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
0146B5681401101C device

Any idea?

Thanks.

Last edited:

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
I know this doesn't answer your question but I will say I often have had issues using a USB device through a virtual machine. My best suggestion is to set up a dual boot environment or just stick with a single operating system.
But ideas on how to fix is probably a permission problem, be sure you have the required permissions set up in advance