FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

What is the advantage of cooking a ROM in a kitchen?

632 posts
Thanks Meter: 108

Thread Deleted Email Thread
8th September 2008, 11:08 PM |#11  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkVDH

If I can do that, then it would seem to make sense to put up as stripped a ROM as possible and load all my normal programs on the storage card.

thats pretty much what i do, i dont cook any apps into the rom, just settings, then i have cabs for all my apps on my storage card, i dont install them to the card because of access speeds
9th September 2008, 04:40 AM |#12  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe

thats pretty much what i do, i dont cook any apps into the rom, just settings, then i have cabs for all my apps on my storage card, i dont install them to the card because of access speeds

So do you put all your data files (Excel workbooks, Word docs, databases, etc.) on your card? With 8 to 16 GB cards, there's little worry about running out of storage now.

I've installed nearly all of my (non-MS) apps on the card currently; loading doesn't seem to be a problem except for Skyfire. Next ROM image I assemble I will minimize everything in ROM and use your "CAB on Card" idea.

Thanks for the comment. cv
9th September 2008, 09:43 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
For quite some time, I used the kitchen on my Apache & then some with my Mogul.

For the Apache, the biggest benefit was saving memory by getting rid of all the crap Sprint loads on the phone. For the Mogul, memory isn't as big an issue, anymore.

I quit using the kitchen because the results were too buggy with my Mogul. I need my phone to operate every single time I use it and the one in a hundred times my kitchen-ized phone wouldn't work right was one time too many.

One of the annoying things about the kitchen, imo, is that there are dozens of wonderful apps with no explanation as to what they do. I've inquired about them a few times & rarely ever gotten a clear answer. Most of them can be Googled, but many can't. It seems like a waste.

In the end, I'm using Sprint's latest official ROM with lots and lots of upgrades. I also have figured out how to delete most of the files that are installed by default using various file explorers, so I've cleared up even more memory. Now, my phone is rock solid... doesn't have a single glitch... works 100% of the time at 100% capability. I do not worry that the bluetooth will decide it's not going to work, don't worry that the answer button won't work when I receive a call, don't worry that it's going to freeze up for no reason...

The kitchen is fun, and with my Apache, was a lifesaver.
I just don't feel the bugs I get from the kitchen outweigh the bugs Sprint's 6800 rom gives me (I haven't actually found any, yet.) With the Apache, the equation worked the other way around.
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread