AOSP Part 2 (Init strikes back)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

aceoyame

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 14, 2009
K so we have 2nd init fully working now (after that little setback yesterday) Mastafunk will be uploading it later. Right now i am working on the mapphone file removing the zygote classes (for now, we have a fix for later but I dont know how to apply it yet. Isnt too important though, most devices are running without them). I fixed the photon init.rc yesterday so it mounts the correct partitions and prevents double mounts of partitions that dont get unmounted by 2nd init. We had a pretty productive day yesterday after talking to hashcode. Dragonz, mastafunk and I were all there and I think we all got some good info to help us out.

mastafunk

Aug 31, 2011
Undisclosed Swamp Location, FL
Im going to upload this here for people that would like to test booting their own roms with it.

http://iswarm.net/2init-reloaded.zip

This version is working and booting stock blur via second init.
To Play with on your own you will need to do a few things.
Extract this zip. Place the files from the boot.img from the rom you would like to try in /system/etc/root/fs including any thing in subdirectories like sbin.

Then copy/Merge this ontop of your rom's directory structure.
Before Flashing in recovery choose mounts/storage and format /system .
Thats it.

When booting the rom power on the phone with pwr + down volume. Cycle to USB enumeration and boot.

To boot stock blur via 2ndinit just flash this over stock without the /system format.

If anyone has any progress booting non-blur roms with this method please share!!

Last edited:

03civicdx

Nov 23, 2010
I have been watching this thread since it started and would just like to tip my hat to the guys that made this happen. Even the people that donated the phone.

I do have a question. Now that this is done. Any idea when we could expect a non blur based rom? Such as MIUI. I loved MIUI on my D1.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

0vermind

Apr 13, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
I do have a question. Now that this is done. Any idea when we could expect a non blur based rom? Such as MIUI. I loved MIUI on my D1.

We're not going to dignify that with an answer just yet. Once we get CM7 and MIUI actually booting, it's still a lot of work to work out bugs, fix wifi, 3G, camera, orientation, sensors, touchscreen accuracy, random reboots (system panics), etc. We could have a stable daily driver working by Christmas, but then again, who knows. You must learn patience young one. The best you can do is donate to ace, or press thanks on the posts you feel benefits the end result you are looking for (eg. MIUI).

mastafunk

Aug 31, 2011
Undisclosed Swamp Location, FL
Hit the nail on the head there... its trial and error & this point.
I know I had posted this in the other thread but just to re-iterate. We want to keep this as uncluttered as possible so it can be a future resource to devs working on new moto phones. Please use the thanks button on posts that spark your fancy, its free :) and it lets us know that people care and are following our progress.

No one really knows how long this will take. If i had to bet i would guess its gonna happen without notice, but rest assured progress will be posted here. One of these tests will yield results.

A few posts back i had linked a framework for those that wish to try on there own. Honestly the more attempts at different rom configs the quicker we will get there. You will of course need a known working (ie you built it for our platform from source) or one from a similar platform. We are trying the atrix cm7 nightlies ATM using the boot files from the photon with fixed mount points..

If your not a rom dev but still wish to help out please reply to my nightly "were gonna test some crap" posts.. in this manner we have been trying 20-30 sbf's perf night as opposed to the 6-7 we were able to before. Thanks to all those that have tested with us so far.

We're not going to dignify that with an answer just yet. Once we get CM7 and MIUI actually booting, it's still a lot of work to work out bugs, fix wifi, 3G, camera, orientation, sensors, touchscreen accuracy, random reboots (system panics), etc. We could have a stable daily driver working by Christmas, but then again, who knows. You must learn patience young one. The best you can do is donate to ace, or press thanks on the posts you feel benefits the end result you are looking for (eg. MIUI).

Last edited:

03civicdx

Nov 23, 2010

Sorry if you took my post as being impatient. But that wasn't intended at all. Once there is a MIUI rom that needs testing I would be glad to lend a hand at testing it and returning feed back. Lol @ young one. Im just an old fart.

Edit* I wish the xda app had the thanks option.
Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

kaliblazin707

Dec 18, 2010
Hurray for cm7. So that would mean kernels n overclocking. Woo finally the x2s potential can be unleashed

Sent from my DROID X2 using the souls of dead children.

aceoyame

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 14, 2009
It was difficult because what was already out there wasn't functioning as a full 2nd init. So we had to create a bunch of new stuff to make it a fully functioning package. As for CM7 I am started work on it this morning. Still no boot but everything we need is starting to fall into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now that we have a working 2nd init its time to get an aosp rom booting. Logically the first choice is CM7. We have a repo setup but first I need a small favor. I need the ramdisk (boot.img) ripped from the photon and the xoom. The atrix's wont work at all for us due to the fact it is gsm only.
    Im going to upload this here for people that would like to test booting their own roms with it.

http://iswarm.net/2init-reloaded.zip

This version is working and booting stock blur via second init.
    To Play with on your own you will need to do a few things.
    Extract this zip. Place the files from the boot.img from the rom you would like to try in /system/etc/root/fs including any thing in subdirectories like sbin.

Then copy/Merge this ontop of your rom's directory structure.
    Before Flashing in recovery choose mounts/storage and format /system .
    Thats it.

When booting the rom power on the phone with pwr + down volume. Cycle to USB enumeration and boot.

To boot stock blur via 2ndinit just flash this over stock without the /system format.

If anyone has any progress booting non-blur roms with this method please share!!
    K so we have 2nd init fully working now (after that little setback yesterday) Mastafunk will be uploading it later. Right now i am working on the mapphone file removing the zygote classes (for now, we have a fix for later but I dont know how to apply it yet. Isnt too important though, most devices are running without them). I fixed the photon init.rc yesterday so it mounts the correct partitions and prevents double mounts of partitions that dont get unmounted by 2nd init. We had a pretty productive day yesterday after talking to hashcode. Dragonz, mastafunk and I were all there and I think we all got some good info to help us out.
    Well i know we have been been quiet but we really have been working hard.
    Hit a road block and decided to go back to the beginning.

After lots of research, and lots of bothering more experienced dev's we have finaly made a breakthrough as far as progress goes!!

I can confirm now that we are sourcing the second init.rc file as i can get it to produce logs for me and i can change some settings.

Special thanks to all these particular devs who held my hand through certain parts of this process in order of time given.. dragonzkiller, hashcode, cvps, [mbm] and others

In the end it ended up being we were working with some outdated files and a lack of experience as far as android goes on my part.

Once again thanks to aceoyame for starting this project and for gaining interest among other devs.

With this current break through as soon as i get it to ace in the morning it should be pretty straightforward to knock out what we have left to do on his end.

Code:
    Wed Dec 7 02:23:36 EST 2011
    pid 1's current affinity list: 0,1
    pid 1's new affinity list: 0
    Address for the injection: 0x0001D800.
    image_base: 0x00008000.
    image_size: 0x00016000.
    execve located on: 0x000081A0.
    Setting /init PC to: 0x0001D800.
    Detaching...

A bit of a side note... Along with this progress came the realization that this will not work side by side with our current bootstrap as is. So now we have more work to do :)