[APP][2.2+][NFC/QR] InstaWifi - Share and connect to wifi networks instantly

Search This thread

Rajnus

Sep 6, 2008
Yeah, I understand that this can be a bit confusing. I'll try to break it down as simple as I can:

NFC:
1) Receiver must have the app installed, Android does not have native support to connect to a wifi network instantly, an app (which in this case, InstaWifi) needs to handle the incoming NFC data and connect to wifi for you.
2) If the receiver does not have the app installed, tapping the NFC sticker automatically takes you to the play store to download InstaWifi. Once it's downloaded, tap the sticker again and you should be good to go (hopefully less than 20 seconds for the whole ordeal, which can still be faster than typing out a super long password).

QR:
1) Receiver does not have to have InstaWifi installed. Reciever needs to have the Barcode Scanner app installed for it to work.

Hope that clarifies some things.

1) I have tried that with NFC transfer and it pointed me to play store. For sure it is 10sec but if somebody has a data connection it is not likely that he or she will need wifi. Most of the people have 1GB or more per month.

2) This is OK, 'cause most of the people have bar code scanner.

I have never ever encounter such long and complicated passwords. I am talking about public places, most of them are 123456..., or name of the place or something similar. My use case is when I go abroad for some football game and all of us are looking for free wifi, in this way sharing will be pretty easy because I do not write down passwords of public places.

Petty for NFC but maybe google will implement native support. Overall it is a good idea :good:

P.S. just crossed my mind...is it possible to send maybe lighter version of app via NFC transfer between two mobile phones to be installed to handle that and all future incoming NFC messages? To send app and message as some kind of package... By lighter version I meant much smaller app which can only handle NFC data, pure code, no GUI....then up on connection maybe to point to store to install full version...

Natzer.HD2

Dec 11, 2011
www.n-natzer.de
Good idea, but if a network uses MAC-filters, the app might be a kind of useless :D

it helps to share the password of a network, but to load the app ur friend download the app first.. write down the password is much easier for me so i can throw the ****n password to a friends head =) more funny than the app :cool:

B

Bibicp

Can someone please provide an APK? Because this app isn't available in my country :s

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi fellow xda-developers,

I am happy to announce my first Android app, InstaWifi. InstaWifi is a new and fun way to connect and share your wifi networks with your friends and family.

I built this with NFC and QR code support. Simply tap on a NFC sticker or scan a QR code to connect to a wifi network instantly. Android Beam is also supported so you can skip the whole NFC sticker part.

Download the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.jessechen.instawifi

For more details, screenshots, and tutorials, check out my website: http://www.instawifi.jessechen.net/

Looking forward to any feedback or comments you guys have. Thanks!
    Indeed looking great :)

Am I right someone WITHOUT root can use this to connect with current WiFi?
    I suppose so..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes, root is ONLY used to pre-populate the security type and passwords so that you don't have to manually type it in yourself. It is not required at all in order for it to work otherwise.

Two questions...

1) Does the other person need to have the app as well, or will just any QR scanner app on any Android device work with this?

2) You can probably guess where that question will lead next, if someone has an (ugh!) iPhone or iPad with a QR scanner app, will it be able to automatically connect as well?

Thanks!

1) The other person needs to have the Barcode Scanner app installed (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android). It's the most popular barcode scanner app out there with ~50,000,000 downloads, so most people should have it already.

2) iOS devices can't automatically connect unfortunately due to the limitations of apple's platform (apps cannot control/manipulate wifi). If that ever changes you know I'll be there to write an app that can do it!
    Its a nice idea though. But its a useless and impractical idea.

I think verbally spelling out the wifi password to the guests/friends is easier, time saving and hassle free because everyone has at least mouth & ears to communicate password.

Everyone doesn't have that app,
    Everyone doesn't have Android,
    Everyone doesn't have QR code reader/Barcode reader,
    Everyone doesn't have NFC or beam

and to avoid all the hussles and frustration of not getting it through.... just communicate the password verbally... It just takes a moment to say a password rather than bieng in this hassle :D
    let me correct your grammar (or typo?):

Not everyone have that app,
    Not everyone have Android,
    Not everyone have QR code reader/Barcode reader,
    Not everyone have NFC or beam

Let me answer some of your questions:
    - "Not everyone have Android." are u kidding me dude? You are here, the Android community! other OS are not talked here, they talked in other section!
    - "Not everyone have QR code reader/Barcode reader," Yeah, you can always download it from Play Store
    - "spelling out the wifi password to the guests/friends is easier." How do u can spell if the password is XdAiSTHEbest!ILOVExda#11@$
    Tested this with my Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100).
    But I can't connect to my Wifi via QR-Code. Is there a (known) issue with hidden SSIDs maybe?

The Wifi Settings of the phone tell me the Wifi is "not in range".

I'm on CM10 with Siyah Kernel.

I believe hidden SSIDs have an issue with this. I'll try to see if that can be fixed in the future.

An excellent app.
    An extremely minor suggestion: not use a square icon but one with a "distinctive silhouette".
    Can totally be ignored though

Blazing on my Nexus Prime

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep that thought in mind.
    kool concept Loving app :p
    But what if someone wants to use wifi and already at your house and has neither Data plan or QR reader or this app lol