[simple]How to stop OTA's[tutorial]

Search This thread

phil0sophic

Sep 13, 2009
Heber Springs
OKAY, it appears that I mispoke in my post, it was definitely the Devicemanager that I restored, not "download". Happy to see that I wasn't quite that far off.....must have done something wrong in the TiBu backup restore process....ANYWAY, I started over today and ran through the method again, and this time it did result in "9.9.9" so mission accomplished! I rebooted, still 9.9.9. THank you, to everyone who helped me.;)

Speaking of cocktails , some of the folks around here could use a couple and chill the fu*k out ...Happy New Year !

RegLinUsr

Dec 2, 2007
SoCal
I had the NT boot looping after I did something stupid to possibly get stock settings menu.
I booted with a 8Gb microSD with acclaim_update.zip (I did not bother to format it so it had other stuff in it).
Once it finished flashing it had replaced the /system partition but not the data partition so had all the apps like superuser installed but would not work as /system/xbin/su was gone.
I powered it down and rebooted using Vol + & -, n and power button simultaneously and let go of the power after the n & copyright screen appeared and the n button a few seconds later (not if you hold the n too long it will automatically assume you have pressed yes for factory reset and proceed with that). Now there was a screen asking it I wish to factory reset the device. Press n if you wish to do so.
After this the device was reset completely and it asked me to configure the device (the lady face)

Hopefully this helps and and makes it easy to factory reset the device without having to do the 8 times (n+power) solution

A user posted a easier factory reset method in here can someone else try it and confirm that works, i don't have my nook yet so i can't try.

This is an alternate method for accessing the Nook Tablet's Factory Reset screen. This may be used to access this area instead of using the "8 Failed Reboots" method.

I can confirm that this does work and I have tested it several times to verify that it would work every time. I take no credit for figuring out this factory reset method as it was dcnarad that seems to have stumbled upon it. I do take credit for figuring out exactly how it is to be performed and have reposted it below correctly. dcnarad's post here is a bit haphazard and it slightly missed the mark as to how this actually needs to be performed so as to get to the factory reset screen properly.

Perform Factory Reset of the Nook Tablet:
  • PWR off the Nook Tablet.
  • Hold "PWR" & "" & "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons simultaneously to reboot.
  • After reboot, release only the "PWR" & "" buttons after 2-3 seconds upon receiving the " - Contains Reader® Mobile technology by Adobe Systems Incorporated." screen while still maintaining to hold the "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons.
  • The screen may blink a couple seconds later and then you will be presented with the Factory Reset screen with the following options:

• Do you want to reset your device to the factory default?
    • Press POWER key to exit
    • Press HOME key to continue
  • Are you sure?
    • This will delete all your content and restore the device to the factory default settings.
      • Press POWER key to exit
      • Press HOME key to continue
I even accidentally let go of the "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons once while testing this a few times but quickly pushed them back down again and was still given the factory reset screen so this method works even with a little goof like that. This worked since holding down the "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons has been found to actually be unnecessary.

ENJOY!

NOTE: "HOME key" = "" button

NOTE 2: After some discussion with others, I decided to "take one for the team" and experiment with software version 1.4.1 update. I manually updated my Nook Tablet to software version 1.4.1 via the software download from bn.com. I applied the update and then did a factory reset of the device after booting into v1.4.1. I have confirmed that once your NT has been updated to v1.4.1 then a factory reset afterwards will reset your NT to factory default settings of software version 1.4.1 and your NT will not revert to v1.4.0. It seems that B&N has pulled another fast one by over-writing the device's original factory software with this update. I was able to revert my NT to v1.4.0 via AdamOutler's Restore Barnes & Noble Nook 1.4.0 from SDCard afterwards with only the one issue. The "" button was not working after the device initially booted up into v1.4.0 but applying a second factory reset to the device solved this issue.

This alternate method's thread is here... please post questions specific to that method there only so as to not flood this thread with irrelevant questions. All changes/updates will be post there so please check there if you have any problems. Thanks!

Last edited:

jotekman

Jun 18, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
So, sorry to ask, but I noticed people talking about FOTAkill.apk as well. If we do this, does that eliminate the need for the FOTAkill? Just checking.... with wifi turned off :)

RegLinUsr

Dec 2, 2007
SoCal
So, sorry to ask, but I noticed people talking about FOTAkill.apk as well. If we do this, does that eliminate the need for the FOTAkill? Just checking.... with wifi turned off :)

No, this is simply restoring the NT to default B&N software version which once again makes it vulnerable to B&N OTA Updates. All previous methods for blocking OTA's would be required to once again be performed in order to block the OTA's.

Last edited:

cheekymonkee20

Jul 6, 2008
Charlotte NC
For those of you having a hard time finding the "Restore" option, let me offer some hard won advice.

When you put the files in the TB folder and then open the TB app, it may not have recognized the new files yet. Give it a few minutes or restart the NT. Go back into TB, scroll down and find the DeviceManager file. Tap it and it should show you a last backup date of 12/22. If you see that, you'll see the restore option. That 12/22 backup is the file you need to restore.

Reactions: ckevinwelch

gammaworks

Dec 10, 2011
How can I tell?

I have a rooted NT, and on version 9.9.9. How can I tell if BN has tried but failed to push FOTA? I waked up my NT this morning, clicked on a weather app, I got a black screen and then the device started rebooting on its own, which has never happened before. It made me wonder...

I run Linux os on my desktops. Activities are logged in various log files in /var/log directory. I have not been able to find the equivalent on my NT. WHere are they?

Last edited:

mlb107

Nov 23, 2011
Then start titanium backup, grant root if you havent already and restore "DeviceManagerService 2.3.4" and then poof! You have now blocked OTA's. :) I'll actually try and make this happen in my script so new people can do it but you can tell if it worked by going into settings>about my nook>Version Number:9.9.9

Are you awesome Indirect?
Yes, yes I am. Now enjoy all the crap I released for you guys :)

Hey, Indirect! You rock, thanks for this. Just want to make sure I'm good since I've had to reroot 3 times because of that stupid 1.4.1 update from b&n...as long as my device settings are showing 9.9.9 I will not receive ANY future b&n updates, correct? What does that ADB hijacker app you created do in addition to/instead of this method? Still a newbie so not sure of all the differences. Thanks!

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Hey, Indirect! You rock, thanks for this. Just want to make sure I'm good since I've had to reroot 3 times because of that stupid 1.4.1 update from b&n...as long as my device settings are showing 9.9.9 I will not receive ANY future b&n updates, correct? What does that ADB hijacker app you created do in addition to/instead of this method? Still a newbie so not sure of all the differences. Thanks!

The explanation of what it does its in the OP of the app thread.

Veronica

Sent from XDA using one of my Android Toys :p

Swiissjokr

Dec 14, 2011
thanks alot indirect, I also had problems but all it was was that my debugging was unchecked, & once I checked it 9.9.9 was there immediately :)

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk

jimmysuggs

Nov 16, 2011
Mlb107, yes, you should be good to go. There's no guarantee that this fix will block future updates since we can't know exactly what B&N have up their sleeves, but in all likelihood, this should take care of things for the foreseeable future. Fingers crossed, anyhow.

I think this is what Veronica meant to say. Her post must have lost a little something in translation.

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Mlb107, yes, you should be good to go. There's no guarantee that this fix will block future updates since we can't know exactly what B&N have up their sleeves, but in all likelihood, this should take care of things for the foreseeable future. Fingers crossed, anyhow.

I think this is what Veronica meant to say. Her post must have lost a little something in translation.

My answer was according to this:
What does that ADB hijacker app you created do in addition to/instead of this method? Still a newbie so not sure of all the differences.
;)

~Veronica

Aug 18, 2011
Does this completely kill my bn account that I have tied to my tablet? The bn shop no longer works and in device info does not show my account info..

**I had to use anycut to create a new short cut to activity. Scrolled down and chose the first Oobe that I saw. I lauched the shortcut and it took me through the registering process again, and now my BN store works

I tried this, still wont let me shop on my bn account, states it cant find my credit card on file, but when I pull it up on PC its there. hmmmmm
any other suggestions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mine only says "Unavailable" because I skipped out of box experience and didnt register to test this. :| yours will still have your email and everything linked so dont worry!

Alright, I'm going to start off with saying that what this does is turn off FOTA for you by modifying data for devicemanager. How do you do it?

Well, let's begin.

12/22/11: New tweaks, FOTA checkin timer = 0 (no checks anymore), Build key difference, FOTA mode = disabled and a few other FOTA tweaks.

First: Download the files unzip them, and put all 3 into the TitaniumBackup folder on your sdcard (you need to download Titanium backup from market for this just FYI).

Then start titanium backup, grant root if you havent already and restore "DeviceManagerService 2.3.4" and then poof! You have now blocked OTA's. :) I'll actually try and make this happen in my script so new people can do it but you can tell if it worked by going into settings>about my nook>Version Number:9.9.9

Download link?:
    here

FAQ
    Will this stop me from buying anything from B&N?
    NO! You will keep everything and the ability to buy. This does nothing to the services aside from makes a few minor SQL tweaks that affect the devices ability to OTA.
    Can this break my device?
    No! This process actually holds no risk. It should always work no matter what and since we caught it early on, we can prevent further updates that can fix this.
    Are you awesome Indirect?
    Yes, yes I am. Now enjoy all the crap I released for you guys :)

IMG_20111222_043237.jpg

Spoof.png
    This is the sqlite method just provides you with files to download and install...this really isn't that complicated. -.- versus having to actually modify the SQL on the device, its already done for you. Just trust it works, install, and ignore everyone *****ing about updates. Now I'm going back to bed before someone crosses me by asking a stupid question.

Sent by breaking the sound barrier
    Made even more tweaks this time. FOTA checkin is now updated to 0 (0 means not at all) and a few other things. Updated link in OP.
    Can anyone Please post the original files that were modified did the restore and forgot to save the originals...

Ditto that request.

Thanks!

I have attached the original B&N Nook Tablet Device Manager files that Indirect's files in the OP replaced.

I would like to suggest my earlier thread here which helps alleviate this type of issue.