[Q] CM9 & Email subfolder notification

Search This thread

elherr

Jul 26, 2011
Isla de Malhado
Hi,

I'm using the native Email client in CM9 with Exchange and was wondering if there was any way to enable notification when an email arrives in a subfolder. From my searching, it looks like Google has disregarded this feature request. This is rather strange as the Gmail client allows notifications for subfolders.

I know that Touchdown and Enhanced Email support subfolder notifications but I would prefer to use the native client if possible.

Do the CM guys touch the Email APK at all or just bundle it 'as is' from ICS source? I guess I could dust off old skills and start hacking the source myself...

All in all, I'm very happy with CM9. The notification bit is just a tad annoying.

Cheers!

stalked_r/t

Oct 6, 2011
Atlanta
Hi,

I'm using the native Email client in CM9 with Exchange and was wondering if there was any way to enable notification when an email arrives in a subfolder. From my searching, it looks like Google has disregarded this feature request. This is rather strange as the Gmail client allows notifications for subfolders.

I know that Touchdown and Enhanced Email support subfolder notifications but I would prefer to use the native client if possible.

Do the CM guys touch the Email APK at all or just bundle it 'as is' from ICS source? I guess I could dust off old skills and start hacking the source myself...

All in all, I'm very happy with CM9. The notification bit is just a tad annoying.

Cheers!

This has been a major gripe from me over the past year or so. Every other phone OS manufacturer has this feature built in except for Android. It's not like this is something that only a few people would use. I have rules like crazy for my work email and hate the fact that I have to run 2 different email setups to get everything to work right.

Stock app doesn't do sub-folder replications
Enhanced Email screws up big time on contact creation.

So I'm stuck setting up the stock app to just pull my contacts while using EE to pull subfolder emails notifications.

elherr

Jul 26, 2011
Isla de Malhado
This has been a major gripe from me over the past year or so. Every other phone OS manufacturer has this feature built in except for Android. It's not like this is something that only a few people would use. I have rules like crazy for my work email and hate the fact that I have to run 2 different email setups to get everything to work right.

Stock app doesn't do sub-folder replications
Enhanced Email screws up big time on contact creation.

So I'm stuck setting up the stock app to just pull my contacts while using EE to pull subfolder emails notifications.

I have one folder in particular I need to monitor (autonomous alarm emails from network elements). I tried using the Email widget but there is an issue with that not updating. Bleh. I guess I'm kinda screwed unless Google releases an update or I write a patch.

Hmmm... searching Google I'm hearing noises of other firmware that have patched the Email client allowing notification for subfolders. I'll have to dig into this more later. 'Twould be cool if it was a trivial patch easily applied to current ICS/CM9 Email tree.

randybarrett

Oct 13, 2011
I have one folder in particular I need to monitor (autonomous alarm emails from network elements). I tried using the Email widget but there is an issue with that not updating. Bleh. I guess I'm kinda screwed unless Google releases an update or I write a patch.

Hmmm... searching Google I'm hearing noises of other firmware that have patched the Email client allowing notification for subfolders. I'll have to dig into this more later. 'Twould be cool if it was a trivial patch easily applied to current ICS/CM9 Email tree.
My GS2 running GB 2.36 doesn't support folders, but I have used EE and are currently using touchdown. The strange thing is my Acer tablet supports folders in both Honeycomb and ICS.

stalked_r/t

Oct 6, 2011
Atlanta
i noticed the other day that if you go into a subfolder using the stock app and press the menu button that you can set it up to sync. I receive so many email that I can't say for sure if the notification window notifies you of subfolder emails, but I know that if you look at all folders you'll see a gray number all the way to the right indicating how many unread emails are in that subfolder.

elherr

Jul 26, 2011
Isla de Malhado
i noticed the other day that if you go into a subfolder using the stock app and press the menu button that you can set it up to sync. I receive so many email that I can't say for sure if the notification window notifies you of subfolder emails, but I know that if you look at all folders you'll see a gray number all the way to the right indicating how many unread emails are in that subfolder.
Yeah, I tried that. The folder will sync (I have local cache for folder) but I receive no notification of new emails when they arrive in folder. Grrrr!

I'm not sure why Google put subfolder notification in the Gmail app but not in the stock Email app. Very odd.

RpR

May 27, 2006
Any updates on this? Stuck in exactly the same situation here.

elherr

Jul 26, 2011
Isla de Malhado
Ha! No solution but something more on the order of a workaround for my particular situation. I got rid of the subfolder and built rules in Exchange to discard messages of no import to me.

I have not checked Jelly Bean's Email client as yet. Hopefully it implements notification for child folders. If not then someone at Google needs to be flogged relentlessly.

Slavestate

Sep 7, 2010
www.descentrecords.com
How are you guys setting rules in the native app? Is it something that only works on Exchange? I'd love to find an app that will let me filter my IMAP account like regular apps like Thunderbird/Apple Mail do.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

elherr

Jul 26, 2011
Isla de Malhado
How are you guys setting rules in the native app? Is it something that only works on Exchange? I'd love to find an app that will let me filter my IMAP account like regular apps like Thunderbird/Apple Mail do.
Sorry, I might not have been clear. I built the filter rules on the Microsoft Exchange server, not on my phone.

Who are you using for mail? Google provides a nice array of server based filtering options with Gmail. Also, the stock ICS Gmail client supports child folder (label) notification with the option of setting ringtones per folder. Pure greatness in my opinion.

I'm not sure why the stock Email/Exchange does not implement these features. Very strange...

markwg01

Mar 25, 2011
As of the latest JB build the email client functions are exactly the same. I had a DROID Charge before my Nexus, and someone modified that native email client to allow notifications for sub folders. Is there anyway to customize the native client? Anyone want to give this a try?

Slavestate

Sep 7, 2010
www.descentrecords.com
Sorry, I might not have been clear. I built the filter rules on the Microsoft Exchange server, not on my phone.

Who are you using for mail? Google provides a nice array of server based filtering options with Gmail. Also, the stock ICS Gmail client supports child folder (label) notification with the option of setting ringtones per folder. Pure greatness in my opinion.

I'm not sure why the stock Email/Exchange does not implement these features. Very strange...

Ahh gotcha! I do have a gmail account but also use my email from my own band/record label domain. Maybe I should just move all the lists im on over to Gmail..

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

elherr

Jul 26, 2011
Isla de Malhado
As of the latest JB build the email client functions are exactly the same. I had a DROID Charge before my Nexus, and someone modified that native email client to allow notifications for sub folders. Is there anyway to customize the native client? Anyone want to give this a try?
The source code is available. Someone with the requisite Java skills would need to have the interest and spare time to rewrite some of the code.

elherr

Jul 26, 2011
Isla de Malhado
Ahh gotcha! I do have a gmail account but also use my email from my own band/record label domain. Maybe I should just move all the lists im on over to Gmail..

It works great. I have a torrent of crap hitting my Gmail box but most of it gets filtered and tagged with a label. (FYI -- Google uses labels instead of actual folders in Gmail. For all intents and purposes they are equivalent)

For lists I actually nest lables. Parent label is 'Lists' and all the email lists I belong to are nested underneath. Filter rules automatically bypass the inbox and drop the email in the appropriate place.

See attached screenshot. In it I'm looking at 'Lists/ODK'.

Thenetstriker

Jul 24, 2008
I too am missing the nofitications from subfolders in the email app in Android, so I made a quick look at the source code of this app to see if it would be possible to add this feature myself.

The notification itself happens in the NotificationController.java class: https://android.googlesource.com/pl...com/android/email/NotificationController.java

I did until now manage it to get an event in this class when an email arrives in a subfolder by modifying the class EmailProvider.java: https://android.googlesource.com/pl...com/android/email/provider/EmailProvider.java
I've changed the getBaseNotificationUri method to also return an uri on MESSAGE event. The only problem now is that in NotificationController.java only the combined inbox is checked for new emails. Maybe I can change that so that every message is checked. Maybe I have some time this weekend to try this.

Thenetstriker

Jul 24, 2008
I've managed to build a version of the email app that shows notifications when an email arrives in a subfolder. But when clicking on the notification it just opens the inbox of the account. I have to adjust this part too. I hope I will find some time. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok here is my first release of my modified email app an the patch file for the jelly bean sourcecode. If you find any problems, please report them here, then I will try to fix them.
    Here is my new release. I fixed the problem when multiple notifications are shown. Also I've corrected the behaviour that when a mailbox is currently open, notifications are suspended for this mailbox. I also disabled the notifications for all special folders, except the inbox. (e.g. deleted items, drafts etc. doesn't need notifications in my opinion)

Please report any problems in this thread.
    I've now also compiled the modified email app for CyanogenMod 10.1. (Email2.apk) Works perfectly on my Sony Xperia T.
    I've found some time to look at the email app and managed it so far to create a version which shows a separate notification for each folder. But there are still some issues that I have to test and analyze. (e.g. notification is instantly recreated when opening the message over the notification) I will share the apk here if I can solve this problem.
    I am using the Jellybean source to compile the app. In the app manifest is the minSdkVersion="14" so I think it should work in ics too. In the meantime I could resolve the last problems and now I am testing the app. Seams to work pretty well. I will release the app and my sourcecode here if I don't find more problems.