[GUIDE] I9000 Screen Replacement

Search This thread

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
helloo all

i have replaced my broken sgs screen with new one got it from ebay

but after replacing it , now the BACK button doesnt light and its not working , i didnt hit the button while replacing the screen , so i think it has to work ,, is there any help guys ??? plzzz

I suppose it got some damage when you removed the screen. One solution is to remove screen, hopefully in one peace and then order new buttons from globaldirectparts.com. Then just replace damaged buttons with new ones and put screen back in.

lqbweb

Aug 31, 2007
i cant find any screen for less than 70gbp on ebay... any good seller? did the prices go up?

i have seen on ebay a seller who sells just the glass, with nothing on... how hard would be to split the digitizer and screen up from the glass?

Thanks

Last edited:

bigthugs0

Oct 6, 2010
i cant find any screen for less than 70gbp on ebay... any good seller? did the prices go up?

i have seen on ebay a seller who sells just the glass, with nothing on... how hard would be to split the digitizer and screen up from the glass?

Thanks

its the hard that u cant split it since its hard glued to the screen , i dont think u will get luck to split it, i tried to do that , but its even hard to split them wihtout breaking the glass and maybe leave some peices

lqbweb

Aug 31, 2007
its the hard that u cant split it since its hard glued to the screen , i dont think u will get luck to split it, i tried to do that , but its even hard to split them wihtout breaking the glass and maybe leave some peices

doesnt matter if i break the glass since its already broken... so you say its very very difficult even if i break the glass into pieces without care?

Another question, are the sensor of the buttons sticked also on the glass?

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
doesnt matter if i break the glass since its already broken... so you say its very very difficult even if i break the glass into pieces without care?

Another question, are the sensor of the buttons sticked also on the glass?

Sensors are glued to the glass pretty good. That is the reason why many have destroyed their sensors. Screen has to be removed extra carefully around the buttons.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Seems like there are plenty of SAMOLED screens online, Kinda strange why I've read reports that the SAMOLED is in shortage.

krueger80

Dec 25, 2010
Montreal, QC
My Galaxy S screen cracked after falling from 3 feet high directly on bottom right corner. It seemed intact just after, but 1 hour after 5 huge cracks spread to the top of the screen. Since I had a protective film on my screen, I can still use the phone with no problem without cutting off my fingers.

However I ordered a new screen and I just received it. I still hesitate to change it right now since everything still works and I don't want to break something.

I have 2 questions to answer before i'll replace it:
About the glue, nobody seems to agree. In fact, I'd like to put the same as the original since I think they probably choose the best solution... right? I don't believe double sided tape will be good enough... Does somebody know the type of glue originally used by Samsung?

My other question is about button censers... Do I need to add new glue before fixing the new screen in place?

And third bonus question: Do you think I should change my screen although it's just for the apparence?

Thanks to everyone who cooperate on this forum and especially to pekkala89.

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
My Galaxy S screen cracked after falling from 3 feet high directly on bottom right corner. It seemed intact just after, but 1 hour after 5 huge cracks spread to the top of the screen. Since I had a protective film on my screen, I can still use the phone with no problem without cutting off my fingers.

However I ordered a new screen and I just received it. I still hesitate to change it right now since everything still works and I don't want to break something.

I have 2 questions to answer before i'll replace it:
About the glue, nobody seems to agree. In fact, I'd like to put the same as the original since I think they probably choose the best solution... right? I don't believe double sided tape will be good enough... Does somebody know the type of glue originally used by Samsung?

My other question is about button censers... Do I need to add new glue before fixing the new screen in place?

And third bonus question: Do you think I should change my screen although it's just for the apparence?

Thanks to everyone who cooperate on this forum and especially to pekkala89.

Answer for 1. question: Don't use double-sided tape. I can speak by experience =). I don't know which glue Samsung used but when I replaced my own screen, I used Plastic Padding Repair Extreme glue. It's soft and grips to glass well. When new screen is installed, some weight has to be applied on top of the screen before glue is dry. When the glue is drying it retracts a little bit and does not grip the glass if there's a gap. Afterwards you can notice this fault by pressing some corner and hearing a sound like something is ripping. Notice that the screen is lower than the chrome bezel around it. So the weight has to be the size of the screen so it presses it lower than the level of bezel.

Answer for 2. question: I placed little bit of glue around the sensors. Not much because if there's too much and you press new screen on, the excess glue can spread on top of the sensors. Be extra hyper careful when you remove original screen around the sensors. I've read many people damaging their sensors for not being too careful.

Answer for Bonus: I think you should replace the screen. I don't know but when the screen damages more it could short-circuit something and at the same time destroying your phone further.

spikeeee

Jan 1, 2007
Hi guys,

Attempted to Change the screen, which is one of the worst screens that I have ever had to change! However I have damaged the Flexi that connects the lower keypad PCB to the Upper main PCB assy. It has written on it:

GT-i9000_FPCB_REV0.8
G SI 1029

It has Touch written on the end that connects to the Lower PCB and Board where it connects to the upper PCB.

It runs under the battery compartment between that and the LCD.

It is part of this spare:

http://www.itstek.com/samsung-i9000-galaxy-s-lcd-touch-screen-lens-complete-front.html

You can see the lower part of it connecting into the keyboard PCB and the top part waiting to be connected.

Does anyone know where I can locate one? I cannot find anything on the web. The details that are written on it (see above) do not return anything in Google.

I'm worried as I was repairing this for a friend and don't really want to fork out for a new phone for her!

Thanks

Spike

1an

Sep 8, 2010
The best price on ebay i 98$ right now, does somebody have a link to a better price? :)

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
Hi guys,

Attempted to Change the screen, which is one of the worst screens that I have ever had to change! However I have damaged the Flexi that connects the lower keypad PCB to the Upper main PCB assy. It has written on it:

GT-i9000_FPCB_REV0.8
G SI 1029

It has Touch written on the end that connects to the Lower PCB and Board where it connects to the upper PCB.

It runs under the battery compartment between that and the LCD.

It is part of this spare:

http://www.itstek.com/samsung-i9000-galaxy-s-lcd-touch-screen-lens-complete-front.html

You can see the lower part of it connecting into the keyboard PCB and the top part waiting to be connected.

Does anyone know where I can locate one? I cannot find anything on the web. The details that are written on it (see above) do not return anything in Google.

I'm worried as I was repairing this for a friend and don't really want to fork out for a new phone for her!

Thanks

Spike

You mean this?

http://www.globaldirectparts.com/OEM-Samsung-i9000-Motherboard-Flex-Cable-p/smsng6087165.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: spikeeee

spikeeee

Jan 1, 2007

Hi

Yes thanks :) I ordered through them, they force you to buy two and force you to pay £22 for shipping! Nearly $50 for a flex cable!

A supplier in the UK came back just after I placed the order and so I emailed to cancel from Global parts... they have refused even though the part has not been sent yet and it has been placed two days ago.

I would be very very wary from buying from Global Parts

However if you are in the UK, http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/ sorted me out the part. It was not listed on their site but they had some around in their workshop. Really nice and helpful peeps, will be buying spares from them from now on :)

oh and If anyone needs one of these Flex's it looks like I will be having two spare now. lol

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
I wouldn't take the risk on changing the screen myself but would think about FoneFunShop. The difference between the screen and screen and fitting isn't bad at all.

http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/cable_...d_&_Digitizer_Repair_Replacement_Service.html

Enjoy your SGS.

That is a nice service but it is only available for a specific area.

Quoted from fonefunshop: This Service is available to UK + Ireland Residents Only

Thanks for reminding people about this service.

Reactions: ofk88

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This topic has clues for replacing the screen. I have not concluded an manual for chancing it yet but reading this whole topic gives you the big picture how it is done. Questions are always welcome and I try to answer them with my knowledge. This 1st post gives you 2 links to follow for pics about changing screen and my own starting point for chancing my own screen.

Has anyone bought and installed a digitizer+screen set which is on sale at ebay? I could not post direct link to ebay because I'm a newbie on these forums. You can find the product searching ebay with these keywords "I9000 digitizer". My galaxy's screen cracked and I need an replacement. Both screen and glass broke. I think that this set includes them both. There is also told in the questions that the set infact includes amoled display and not LCD as the title says.

Second question is that does someone have an service manual somewhere. Would be nice to know how to break apart my phone when replacing screen.

Third question is that doesn't samsung vibrant and galaxy s share the same chassis but different screen with more capacitive buttons. Could it be possible to install vibrant's screen to galaxy s?

PS. The way my galaxy brokedown is very funny. I lay down my phone on the kitchen table and the screen cracked. I was like OMFG when I heard the cracking noise. Phone was like 13 days old. Samsung does not repair it with warranty because they think that it wasn't an manufacturing defect. They said that I have dropped my phone and that's the way it broke. That could not be the case because I handled it like a baby. I would have to pay 255€ for new screen and digitizer. Hell no!! I'm a student so that sum does not fit with my wallet.

New screen installed, see posts http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7683527&postcount=37 and http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7710572&postcount=40

Edit: Ebay's prices have rised noticeable in the last couple of months. At the moment the price for these screens is around 100$. I found this site which sells them for 60£. http://www.shineyourmobile.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=8128
    I haven't read of anybody just replacing only the glass yet. But I have managed to replace only the glass and it works!

I fell skiing at Heavenly on December 27th. The Gorilla Glass did not survive.

I bought the glass from eBay that same night http://www.ebay.com/itm/25095815361...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1340wt_958 for $4.99 + $4.99 ship from an Australian distributor. I arrived today and I started working on it at 1pm. I searched YouTube and found a bunch of videos on how to remove everything up to the digitizer and glass assembly, but nothing after that!

At this point I cracked open the phone and followed the video thinking there was more. The logical think to do would have been to watch the video all the way through at first. And I guess since my SGS works, I'm fortunate that I didn't!

The glass on the phone was completely shattered with no pieces larger than dime left whole. So I started around the top edge first. Once I gain confidence on separating the glass from the thick layer of glue using an Olfa L-2 knife, I started in on the capacitive buttons. Here the glass had shattered to pieces about 1/16 - 1/8th of an inch, relatively easy to remove using the knife to at first wedge, then pry upwards. Both buttons work fine, but I was really careful and it took a bit of time to do. Thinking that was the hardest part was foolish thinking in hindsight...

Clearing the rest of the digitizer is a chore I care not to do again. But it is possible! It took about 3 hours to remove every sliver of glass. As it is like safety glass, it shatters into fragments easily. And once that's done you need to clean up the glue, laced with fine glass dust that can potentially scratch the digitizer. I did it with 50% alcohol and polishing compound. It took the better part of an hour, but it was the only thing I had around the house. Somebody mentioned ethanol on this thread, I'd go with that instead.

You will see a few nicks and scratches on the digitizer. I was will to accept this since I am eyeing a Galaxy Note and this phone is going to to be permanently stationed in the car (the Torque OBDII app works like a dream, it has GPS, is a web browser and plays music though my bluetooth car audio, and can share the 3G data plan. Name a head unit that does all that?). And in all honesty, with the glass installed it looks better than I expected.

To install the glass I used double-sided tape. I heated up the tape with a blow dryer when I sealed everything up, and pressed firmly on all sides to insure a good bond. I was disheartened to find that the digitizer did not respond to every touch. Turns out this was the effect of the warmed glass. As it cooled the touch response time got back to normal. Also be careful of over heating the glass and pressing too hard on the corners of the digitizer. I have a red spot in the edge of a corner I pressed. If I were to do it again, gluing (the type discussed earlier in the thread.) would be the way to go. Finally finished around 6pm. And everything works!

Good luck!
    Removed my screen today, now waiting for new arriving from Hong Kong. I took couple of photos after the screen was removed. You can see the two sensors at the bottom where I had to be very careful when removing screen. It felt like they would rip apart anytime. My luck was that the glue used was very soft and by prying very slowly the screen removed easily. Took about 30min to remove but would have gone faster if my screen wouldn't been shattered near home button. Little glass and amoled pieces are everywhere. I recommend to keep safety glasses on when removing screen because it shatters easily and pieces fly long way. My hand is now like a disco ball. Tools used are seen on the photos. I also used a little kitchen knife but not much so I didn't include it in the photo. There are still little pieces of glass which I have to remove before applying new screen. Gotta figure out how to remove those.
    SOLVED with 6€ (only glass ) !!!

Tks "devonblue4u" : D

you were the only one with courage like me, and I read your post carefully before you venture into the place of "GLASS ONLY OUTSIDE".

I purchased the glass only by E-Bay about 6 € (arrived in about 10 days) :)

I wanted to say that with my method you put about 2 hours without disassembling the phone!

get yourself a micro optical screwdriver, something hard and plastic is not very sharp, knife and .... the REMOVE SILICONE [/ B] spray ( 3€ ).

spray the spray along the edge of the glass of the phone until it starts to become unstuck from the edge of the glass and try to separate the edge, taking care to contacts of the lower part.

Once separated the plastic lip (helping with screwdrivers and plastic tool and cutter always being careful to touch the glass) to try to divide the 2 glass with the cutter and the spray (always doing dissolve the glue of the adhesive).

after removing all the broken glass, clean the glue touch the glass with alcohol and then remount the board appoggiateci pasting over the glass again with very little glue (I used bostik) being careful not to smudge the glass.
    If you made ​​a mistake of gluing always use the "remove silicone" to remove the bostik (or silicon) clean and put the glue.

: D

Good luck.

Umby
    It took me 3 hours for first time since I didn't know procedure.

I've followed youtube video for disassembly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt9XNnjAcBc).

You have to be very careful and use non-metal tools so you don't damage case.

It's not so scary with keypad sensors on bottom (just at the 85% of disassembly be very careful).

I had bad luck and bought faulty display with bad touch (left side of display was always active, numbers are being dialed by self). I just return back and got a new one.

Don't glue anything or take off screen protect until you try if everything is OK.

*See image if you want to know where you need to use glue.