Android 2.2 "Froyo" porting project | discontinued

Search This thread

Tremere

Nov 20, 2006
Melbourne
Desktop drivers I presume?
Using a Gentoo VM on OS X, so I didn't notice it :p

As for progress, couldn't get wifi working today, the driver didn't detect the chipset (or rather the sdio slot) so hit a wall :mad: Maybe there is something I don't know about. I think I'll attack the 3G radio instead..

The xdandroid folks haven't got much further either, http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6955467&postcount=8793

Might be a while folks..

Viper89

Oct 6, 2009
New York
Desktop drivers I presume?
Using a Gentoo VM on OS X, so I didn't notice it :p

As for progress, couldn't get wifi working today, the driver didn't detect the chipset (or rather the sdio slot) so hit a wall :mad: Maybe there is something I don't know about. I think I'll attack the 3G radio instead..

The xdandroid folks haven't got much further either, http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6955467&postcount=8793

Might be a while folks..

Hopefully we can get wifi working in the near future;). Keep up the good work.

spamam1

Dec 29, 2008
My experience with 2.0.1 Clean..

.. may help you, re: 3G and/or WiFi (inspired by your 1:30am log)

In the forums, others had found that, in order for Wi-Fi to work on Android, need to enable it in WinMobile before using HaRET and starting Android.

For me, Wi-Fi didn't have to 'pre-enabled'; could go from OFF to ON, and worked OK. Also note that 3G worked out-of-the-box (albeit a slight delay before finding the 3G data signal); voice calls works right away.

Notes:
1) once Wi-Fi enabled, turning it OFF via "Settings.. Wireless & Networks.. Wi-Fi" caused Android to crash (well, reboot).. NOTE: before crashing, 3G connectivity is lost as well (at least, "3G" symbol disappears)

2) once Wi-Fi enabled, turning it OFF via "Settings.. Wireless.. Airplane Mode",
Wi-Fi (and 3G, too, of course) turn off; turn off Airplane mode, and WHILE Wi-Fi is turning back on, can disable it *and Android does NOT crash*; Wi-Fi can then be re-enabled and work OK

3) once rebooted from above, Wi-Fi is already on; 3G is NOT on initially.
*can* disable Wi-Fi, and Android did NOT crash. Eventually, 3G data indicator turns on, and tests OK; can also make voice calls

4) try re-enabling Wi-Fi: works, connects to access point

5) can disable Wi-Fi.. can enable/disable, seems NOT to crash.. wow, never got this far before

6) I had intended to put this after 2), but 3) and 4) are new results today =D
'this' is (from memory; sorry, don't want to 'jinx' my phone's state.. unless requested, want to try and preserve).

'this' is that, if the airplane mode trick is used, VOICE calls would never connect properly until.. reboot? re-enable WiFi? sorry, i forget.. the key point is (I think) that turning Wi-Fi on/off on its own, vs via Airplane Mode, *seemed* to cause different actions.. maybe compare logs/etc and see *what* that diff is?

Thanks for working on FroYo on X1!!

matejdro

Jul 9, 2009
Looks like the 3D driver is really working here, all the animations are smooth. Not Nexus One fast, but smoother than the mess we've seen in Eclair and 2.2 generic.

:eek::eek::eek:

Man, you are awesome, i hope you take good care of your X1 so you don't loose it or broke it :D

Last edited:

blackie333

Aug 28, 2009
I put my hope into this project and Tremere. The idea of documenting all steps needed for modification standard release is a very good base for the future.
Other developers could participate in this project or share these basic X1 tweaks as a base for their own projects. Very promising, my respect goes to Tremere for all his effort.

Last edited:

albertkutw

Dec 31, 2009
Taipei
I thought "Xeriod" was dead in the first place. But now I'm thrilled to hear that someone is still interested in developing "Xeriod".

X1 is definitely a good phone without the good Operating System.

gmflie

May 26, 2009
Tremere, maybe you can post some instructions on buildung a working copy of froyo. kernel, modules and startup.txt would be perfect for the start.

Tremere

Nov 20, 2006
Melbourne
Sure. I'll set up a site for all of my "experiments" today.

My plan is to port xdandroid's work to the Xperia so we can share the work with the other HTC phones and we don't get left in the dark. Then I'll reverse engineer everything they did so people can port Froyo and future releases (i.e 2.3) on their own.

circleofomega

Nov 27, 2009
Mumbai

My plan is to port xdandroid's work to the Xperia so we can share the work with the other HTC phones and we don't get left in the dark. Then I'll reverse engineer everything they did so people can port Froyo and future releases (i.e 2.3) on their own.

Dont know how we can thank u for this...

DonDizzurp

Aug 15, 2009
The Internet

yea the xdandroid devs are GLADLY willing to work with xperia devs seeing as how xperia is a bunch of htc devices put together and they did support kovsky in the start so its in their kernel.

rather than having the latest and greatest android build, im sure a majority of us would just rather have a very smooth not-so-battery-hungry version of android whether 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2..

blackie333

Aug 28, 2009
I was just curious and wanted to try new XDANDROID.2.2.AOSP.1.7.10.BETA.V1 build from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=711692
I have put all files to Andboot folder on my SD card, included STARTUP.TXT from 2.01 glossy version to be able to run haret, but no luck for me (after screen calibration and waiting some Android screen was shown but restart followed).
That was my 1st try with XDAdroid, so I expect it was my fault. Is this generic build compatible with X1, or we must wait for special Kovsky build (Tremere)?

Was anyone of you able to get it working, is there some simple procedure to follow (replace system or config files,...)?

Tremere

Nov 20, 2006
Melbourne
I haven't actually tried their full release, the last I have was their system tree with my own rootfs. Its next on my list

The xdandroid alpha wouldn't be functional on the Xperia anyway, they wouldn't have my screen flip patch (yet)

I've started building my documentation wiki: http://mcbridematt.dhs.org/mobile/

Tomorrow I'll put info on what you need to boot Linux - HaRET, kernels etc. Should be enough for someone else to build and boot the open source Android release.

jwte

Nov 8, 2009
I haven't actually tried their full release, the last I have was their system tree with my own rootfs. Its next on my list

The xdandroid alpha wouldn't be functional on the Xperia anyway, they wouldn't have my screen flip patch (yet)

I've started building my documentation wiki: http://mcbridematt.dhs.org/mobile/

Tomorrow I'll put info on what you need to boot Linux - HaRET, kernels etc. Should be enough for someone else to build and boot the open source Android release.

What a great idea to create this wiki :D:D:D

If you need more guides on the wiki I created one for Mer in the past:Mer on X1

Now I'm trying to get MeeGo working on X1.

jkoljo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
Now I'm trying to get MeeGo working on X1.
OH!! My uncle will go nuts if You some day get MeeGo even boot on Xperia! He works for Nokia, and he is closely involved in the development. Of course he cannot talk about it much..

But nevermind, I wish You happy developing, and success!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Xdandroid port for XPERIA
    I am working to port the main Android distribution for HTC devices, xdandroid to the XPERIA. The fix for the screen flip is now present in their source repository and hopefully the kernels will merge soon.

LATEST RELEASE: 27th September - mic mute fix
    Fixes the mute mic in calls. Turns out I pulled the latest kernel sources at the wrong time :eek:
    Complete package (72MiB)
    Without system.ext2 (27MiB)

Thanks to Jonny4911 for the touchscreen calibration file

Known issues: Battery charging won't work if charger is not active at boot.

22nd September - kernel revision (page 147 onwards)

I am no longer distributing the system image as I no longer need to modify it.
    * Get the kernel+haret etc. from here and then get the latest XDANDROID system image from the official thread
    * Rename the system image you downloaded to system.ext2 and put it on your sdcard along with the kernel package
    * As noted in the xdandroid thread, you will need to throw out your data.img this time around, due to having a signed release.

Changes:
    Seems to crash less! :)
    Known issue: Voice calls are not working properly (mic not turned on)

21st August - Kernel update (page 117 onwards)
    • Kernel from kovsky-battery-driver branch - standalone battery meter driver, migrated to official HTC touchscreen driver, BT turns on but may not work, kb backlight thanks to ultrashot+vdelf
    • Clean system image from xdandroid 19/8 There is no LauncherPro in this image!
    • Known bugs: Not as stable.
    • Important: delete ts-calibration on your SDcard. You will be asked to calibrate the touchscreen on startup. Follow the onscreen instructions and not the squares as the calibration program does not know the screen is upside down
    • Important: Back up your data.img as there is a very real chance you could lose it due to crash
    Download: US West
    US East
    with working ts-calibration and haret.exe (oops) thanks loco

Next release will be near the end of September, mkay? I've been busy elsewhere

9th August - System image update page 103 onwards
    • Based on xdandroid RC2.1
    • Removed Gallery3D and Music Mod, replaced with 2D Gallery and stock Music. (You can d/l Music Mod without screen size issues from the Market)
    • Wireless tether now included (warning: burns more power than charger puts in)
    • powertop now included for power usage debugging
    • sdcard powersave fix now in default.txt
    • fsck files purged on startup.

Previous releases are available from this page.

FAQs
    • Is there a Chinese language version?
      Not yet. xdandroid has not built their images for non-latin locales it seems
    • Will there be a ROM?
      Not yet. Requires more work for the kernel and that is not my area.
    • Will battery life be 'fixed'?
      Possibly.
    • Will Camera be fixed?
      Unlikely.
    • Charging does not work
      If your phone is very warm then it is probably consuming more power than the charger delivers. Otherwise, reboot and try again
    • Market does not connect
      Reboot, connect WiFi immediately (if you have it), try again
    • <Android feature X> does not work
      Look in the Rapahael, Blackstone and Diamond forums to see if this issue affects other devices first. It is a very low priority for me.
      If it involves Google accounts (i.e sync) I won't investigate.. we are lucky it works in the first place.
    • Speaker still seems to be on
      Fixed in development, but I haven't released an updated kernel yet.
    • <I have a power saving idea involving speakers, GPS or something>
      The cause of our battery life crapness is some driver bugs preventing the use of a proper sleep mode. Nothing else.
    Today's beta has solved my stability problem with Android market in yesterday's version (occasional application restart), so improvement for me :)

What i miss in this version (i mean Xdandroid 2.2) is better international support, in Xperoid 2.01 Glossy version it was perfect, all following features were working:
    Automatic APN configuration according to provider
    Support for location in Weather widget (now i get "unable to find location" error)
    Support for "My location" detection in Maps via GSM network (without GPS that takes long time to initialize and drains battery) was working, in Xdandroid version it's unable to detect my location (only via GPS).

Can we expect these features to be available in XDAndroid 2.2 version?

I know there are more important things to solve - hardware drivers still incomplete for many devices (Bluetooth, Wifi, Speaker control, HW keyboard, camera, battery + power management etc), but these functionality improvements are maybe easier to fix.
    People Dnt worry the android development is still going on by someone else, we have Neopeek out there who is constantly updating the Android for Xperia X1. You can all become fan pages of the facebook page called ( Xperoid ) which we update the latest news on. I am one an Admin there & hopefully will help anyone who needs help. Latest news we have got the Gingerbread Rom running but its still in Alpha phase :) . P.S - you can also visit www.neopeek.com & into the Android porting - Xperia X1 section for faster updates.

... and we have sp3dev xD he is one of the best devs for xperia I mean as fas as i know he made almost 100% functional kernel xD