Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

CharliesTheMan

hey guys ,i am a noob in android devices
so i just watch a video about installing kernel, and i want to use lupus v8 since i am using xperia play
i wanna try to install it with flashboot ,unfortunately its not working,i already tried everything ,reinstall driver etc ,but still not working, i ask my friend who familiar with rom and kernel ,he said that there are some compatibilty problem on windows 8 , i used windows 8

and i watch another video that you can install a kernel through recovery mode with zip file ,but lupus file is img ,can i make the img file into zip? ,if i can how?

thank you and sorry for my bad english :D

You can get ADB and fastboot working on windows 8, I've done two remote installs in the past two weeks where we got them up and running.

You could try the application "flash image gui" which is in the play store but free on XDA.

But honestly I think you should be able to use fastboot and adb before flashing kernels, it's a little bit of knowledge that will go a long way.

When you installed fastboot did you go to the windows 8 settings and disable the requirement for driver signing, and disable your antivirus when you were using fastboot? I'll get a link and add it here. Oh and in summary, if you're messing with kernels you really need to have a working fastboot and be able to use it.

Edit heres a link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1982718

If you like videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRggtyNnxtI

I went to a search engine (www.google.com) and typed in "Windows 8 fastboot adb" to get the list of results, you may try that if you're still having problems.

Last edited:

richyrich23

Apr 26, 2013
yuntab p500 cobalt sp500

i have looked all over the internet and here and i can't find one custom recovery that works on this phone, it's not a top secert device i don't get it. i want to get a jelly bean rom. i have it rooted already i just need help finding one if it exists or i am willing to make a jelly bean rom with java eclipse and sdk anyone with help would be lovely i can help ROOT them if needed it was actually the easiest part of all this

fufinoid

Apr 23, 2012
Porto
a question about nandroid backup

i'm kind of noob of course, so tell me please, is there any loss of phone configurations, mods, settings, etc. by backuping the ROM through 4ext recovery? is the ROM completely the same after restore or something can be corrupted?

Chromium

Oct 5, 2012
Toronto
chromium1.blogspot.ca
i'm kind of noob of course, so tell me please, is there any loss of phone configurations, mods, settings, etc. by backuping the ROM through 4ext recovery? is the ROM completely the same after restore or something can be corrupted?

backing up in 4ext literally backs up everything. When you restore it, it will return your phone to exactly how it was when you made the backup.
I usually make a backup before i change any system files, or stuff like that so that if something goes wrong, i can just restore the backup and everything is fixed.

Reactions: SUPERGITSU

fuzzynco

Oct 29, 2008
HTC One Max
Samsung Galaxy S9
SAMSUNG Reality video format conversion for mp4?

Samsung Reality SCH-U820

I have mp4's that were originally transcoded for my 720p HTC Rezound.
I'd like to recode them to be compatible with the media player in the
Reality. I believe it needs to be VGA 4:3 vs the 720p 16:9 they are now
coded as.

MP4s originally transcoded for VGA work as expected.
As long as the files are coded correctly and placed in my_flix/
the media manager plays them fine.

Can anyone suggest software to recode the mp4s in to new copies
with the correct codec for VGA mp4?

'thanks in advance

nokem

May 2, 2013
Completely new

Hello,

Completely new to rooting / custom ROM's.

I have a Samsung SGS 2 (GT-i9100) with Android 4.1.2 and XWLSD at the end of the Build Number.

I have downloaded the correct kernel I believe from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1877270

I was going to follow the instructions under "Recovery (.zip) packages instructions - Will also root your phone" using the zip file: PhilZ-cwm6-XWLSD-OXX-4.93.6-signed.zip

Am I correct in believing this will correctly root the phone, allowing me to install a custom ROM? Can anyone suggest a good ROM to try with this hopefully with some detailed instructions?

Any help much appreciated.

//nokem

B

Bruce Wayne

Hello,

Completely new to rooting / custom ROM's.

I have a Samsung SGS 2 (GT-i9100) with Android 4.1.2 and XWLSD at the end of the Build Number.

I have downloaded the correct kernel I believe from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1877270

I was going to follow the instructions under "Recovery (.zip) packages instructions - Will also root your phone" using the zip file: PhilZ-cwm6-XWLSD-OXX-4.93.6-signed.zip

Am I correct in believing this will correctly root the phone, allowing me to install a custom ROM? Can anyone suggest a good ROM to try with this hopefully with some detailed instructions?

Any help much appreciated.

//nokem

Yup. Read the OP of that thread carefully and also few comments down the page. Follow instructions correctly and you'll be able to flash custom roms. Look for roms like CM 10.1, AOKP, Paranoid Android. Have fun;)

A Hero Can Be Anyone. GENERAL HELP THREAD

xXsisyphusXx

Mar 30, 2013

Austinstl314

Feb 12, 2013
St Louis
macks ma7 all star 3.5

I have looked and looked but cant find a tutorial video for install of macks all star ma7 3.5 rom install. Macks was the first rom I have flashed and did so by watching a very good tutorial video on you tube by galaxynote2root.com anyway his first rom required you flash an older version to get the cool 4.0 one (ma5). I have read many pages of the developer thread but yet to find flash instructions.

Question:1. dont really know the difference between ma5 and ma7, is there a link that I can read to educate myself on the difference?
2. need either link to install instructions or video please.
I would really like to get this rom because it looks awesome from the review I watched on you tube from galaxynote2root.com

samsung galaxy note2 on sprint sph-l900 16gb internal 64 g external
running twrp
mobile odin pro
titanium back up pro
triangle away
macks 4.0 rom (ma5)

thank you in advance for any help that you all can offer.

thebeardedchild

Apr 4, 2011
I'm on AT&T and just recently started having trouble receiving multi-page texts. I've never had a problem before, but within the last week or two, I'm almost always missing one or more pages of a long text, sometimes the first page, sometimes the last, sometimes a middle page, etc. I was using a Motorola Atrix, and the problem only showed up just recently. I upgraded to the HTC One and the problem is persisting. Any thoughts? Anyone else having this problem on AT&T?
Of my two friends that I text most who I thus have the issue with most, one has a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and the other has an iPhone 5 on Verizon. Seems it might be a Verizon to AT&T issue, but again, it only just started like 2 weeks ago tops.

Last edited:

DaKyy

Apr 23, 2013
Dual sim problems

Hello

First post, although long time lurker...

I decided to post this here first, before making a new thread. Been searching a lot about this without any luck.

I recently bought Huawei U8836D MTK6577 DualSim phone from eBay. After installing sim cards to the phone I soon discovered I only get 1 bar signal strength on the other sim and the other sim seems to be out of signal completely. The phone was already rooted when I got it and I decided to put in the latest ROM from bgcngm here on the forums. It didn't change the situation. I put in the original Huawei rom without any success either. I concluded this to be a hardware problem and started the return process.

Meanwhile I bought ZTE V970 MTK6577 DualSim phone from eBay (seems I didn't learn from my first experience... :) ). Immediately after installing the sim cards it was obvious that this phone had the same problem. Only this time it was the other way around, the other sim that couldn't get signal with Huawei had 1-2 bars of signal and dropping off randomly the other one didn't get any signal at all. I installed the latest ROM from bgcngm (Thanks Bruno! :D) and the situation remained the same.

Now two phones have the same issue so it seems impossible that both phones would be broken the same way.

Is there anything I could try? Could the issue be with the types of sim cards? I've tried three different sim cards from two operators and all have the same issues. The cellular network here consist of 900MHz GSM/WCDMA, 1800MHz GSM and 2100MHz WCDMA. These phones should support those frequencies? I only live few hundred meters away from nearest base station and I get full signal on both sims with my Nokia Lumia phones.

g1mpy

May 2, 2013
Missing device encryption option

Hi,

I have just rooted and flashed my Tab and have noticed that there is no encryption option under settings->security.

I have attached the dmesg output from the tab as I cannot figure out what the hardware is on the tab. It was a audiosonic 10inch.

I rooted it and flashed it using the info from another forum in which the user had used the original device kernal image.
I then used the rootkit and procedure from this forum http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1903745

This device encryption is required if I want to connect to our corporate exchange server.

the dmesg output is full of the following and nothing else

u0_a69@android:/ # dmesg
09] cpufreq: 408000 kHz r 1(H) selected 408000 kHz (1275000 uV)
<7>[ 3325.869535] cpufreq: pre change
<7>[ 3325.869893] cpufreq: post change
<7>[ 3325.869916] cpufreq: got 408000 kHz
<7>[ 3325.899576] cpufreq: 816000 kHz r 1(H) selected 816000 kHz (1275000 uV)
<7>[ 3325.899604] cpufreq: pre change
<7>[ 3325.899973] cpufreq: post change
<7>[ 3325.899984] cpufreq: got 816000 kHz

any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• dmesg_KM10C_audiosonic_10inch.txt
    130.6 KB · Views: 4

namol

May 2, 2013
Pune
I own a Micromax a87. Recently I factory reset the phone after I was unable to store new contacts and the phone kept showing the wrong time. After factory resetting the phone, I force stopped the home location process. Then I restarted the phone. Now it wont detect any sim card. I am unable to turn on bluetooth and wifi. I am not sure if I still have proper root access or not, but superuser application is present. When I try rooting or unrooting through unlock root, it gives me an error: failed to chmod file: busybox. I do not have any file explorer installed so I am unable access the sd card or phone. My phone doesn't even show the imei number.

I have tried factory resetting many times. I tried wiping data, wiping dalvik cache and wiping cache through CWM but still no luck.

When I visited the Micromax service center, they told me that the motherboard would have to be changed and that it would cost ₹1500. Should I give the phone to the service center or can anything be done?

Yveskiller

May 2, 2013
Hi,

I have CM10 on my Samsung Galaxy S Plus. Now the OTA Updater app asks me if I want to update to a higher version of CM10.
Can I do this safely? Will everything ( apps,photo's etc.) stay on my phone after updating? Just update via this app?
Thanks

justmpm

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 22, 2010
Jumpston Junction
I own a Micromax a87. Recently I factory reset the phone after I was unable to store new contacts and the phone kept showing the wrong time. After factory resetting the phone, I force stopped the home location process. Then I restarted the phone. Now it wont detect any sim card. I am unable to turn on bluetooth and wifi. I am not sure if I still have proper root access or not, but superuser application is present. When I try rooting or unrooting through unlock root, it gives me an error: failed to chmod file: busybox. I do not have any file explorer installed so I am unable access the sd card or phone. My phone doesn't even show the imei number.

I have tried factory resetting many times. I tried wiping data, wiping dalvik cache and wiping cache through CWM but still no luck.

When I visited the Micromax service center, they told me that the motherboard would have to be changed and that it would cost ₹1500. Should I give the phone to the service center or can anything be done?

You can try to reinstall busybox...that may fix some of the problems. If everything isn't fixed, you should try to restore everything to stock...ROM, kernel, and radio. This is more than just hitting factory reset in recovery.

Top Liked Posts