[ROM][NAND] GBX0* + 3.3.x kernel

Search This thread

detule

Jan 30, 2010
Hi folks,

Just a quick note on something we've been working with jonpry on. The title says it all - this is not an official GBX build/release, rather something I compiled from the current GBX tree.

As always, if you are submitting an issue -> post complete GetLogs output -> otherwise I promise you, I will ignore your post.

This is work in progress, so don't expect everything will be smooth. Having said that, it works remarkably well, and it performs at a high level. Here is what I know does not work for sure:

1. Auto-backlight.
2. No idea what the reboot option does, but I wouldn't be surprised if it just hangs your device.

Other issues I am sure will come up.

As always, props to ACL for LK/recovery + early nand pioneering work.

This comes with the usual disclaimers - flashing your phone is inherently dangerous, etc. So do this at your own risk.

Download here, and flash via CWM recovery. Alternative Mirror Location.
Kernel update containing bug fixes. Flash also via CWM. Alternative Mirror Location.
CRITICAL: ril_update.zip. Should fix booting problems form GSM flks. Flash also via CWM. Alternative Mirror Location.

Last edited:

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
I'll take this post cuz I'm greedy.

Thanks detule, flashing now...

Edit - initial flash was gravy. Booted up, and it seems the g-sensor is off... Someone reported this on GBX0C on HaRET, and I thought he was nuts, but it's definitely happening to me. Rotate the phone left, and it goes to portrait mode as if the phone was standing up straight up & down. Rotate the phone so it is standing straight up and down, and the screen goes landscape as if I'm holding it to the right...

Very strange. I'll look into it, could just be a fluke or something I did to setup. I flashed, then did a data/factory reset.

Last edited:
Reactions: detule

walter79

Recognized Developer
Dec 18, 2006
Will test it later and reports problems.

Detule can you make a own git for this build?

Last edited:

detule

Jan 30, 2010
Uncheck Auto rotate in Display settings. I messed this up, I'll fix it in the next cycle.

milda25

Apr 23, 2008
Unfortunately on RHOD100 completely dysfunctional. Continuous chain of FC, announced problems with the panel attend, display is turned on only occasionally and mostly unresponsive. No service. Send all log files, which I could make ...

Attachments

• logs.zip
    57.1 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: detule

walter79

Recognized Developer
Dec 18, 2006
Unfortunately on RHOD100 completely dysfunctional. Continuous chain of FC, announced problems with the panel attend, display is turned on only occasionally and mostly unresponsive. No service. Send all log files, which I could make ...

try with unplugged usb cable.

detule

Jan 30, 2010

Hi, thanks did you wipe data/cache and all that completely before trying this build?

You should not be experiencing FCs regardless of what rhodium you are using.

There is a small gbx bug where the phone app FCs on first boot but that is an isolated incident and is not repeated on other boots.

detule

Jan 30, 2010
Will test it later and reports problems.

Detule can you make a own git for this build?

The build is completely stock gbx and is available from the xdandroid gitorious repo.

I had to hack the xdandroid rootfs to build a ramdisk for the kernel. It can be found here. It's extremely hack-ish, but it works for now, and can be polished later.

The kernel is a slight modification of the haret kernel found on the linux-msm-rhod gitorious repo. If we get good feedback from this testing cycle next step is to combine the haret and the nand kernel.

walter79

Recognized Developer
Dec 18, 2006
update.script

Code:
format("yaffs2", "MTD", "system");
mount("yaffs2", "MTD", "system", "/system");

better

Code:
mount("yaffs2", "MTD", "system", "/system");
delete_recursive("/system/");

detule

Jan 30, 2010
Thanks, at this point I want to hear from a GSM (100/210/300) user for whom the build works, if such a person exists.

Actually any positive feedback -> if we can tabulate what device it works on perhaps we can get a sense if it's a gsm vs cdma issue or 100 vs the world issue.

Last edited:

erick29

Sep 29, 2009
Thanks, at this point I want to hear from a GSM (100/210/300) user for whom the build works, if such a person exists.

Actually any positive feedback -> if we can tabulate what device it works on perhaps we can get a sense if it's a gsm vs cdma issue or 100 vs the world issue.

hi tried on RHOD210, did not boot,
1st tried without the kernel update: stays on black screen after blue screen and some text scripts..

2nd- tried with kernel update: stays on blue screen..

i tried the process twice with wiping the data/factory reset but no luck..

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
hi tried on RHOD210, did not boot,
1st tried without the kernel update: stays on black screen after blue screen and some text scripts..

2nd- tried with kernel update: stays on blue screen..

i tried the process twice with wiping the data/factory reset but no luck..

Stays on blue screen - LK? You don't even see the flying text w/black screen?

Do you ever see the "flying droids" boot animation? Sounds like no... odd.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi folks,

Just a quick note on something we've been working with jonpry on. The title says it all - this is not an official GBX build/release, rather something I compiled from the current GBX tree.

As always, if you are submitting an issue -> post complete GetLogs output -> otherwise I promise you, I will ignore your post.

This is work in progress, so don't expect everything will be smooth. Having said that, it works remarkably well, and it performs at a high level. Here is what I know does not work for sure:

1. Auto-backlight.
    2. No idea what the reboot option does, but I wouldn't be surprised if it just hangs your device.

Other issues I am sure will come up.

As always, props to ACL for LK/recovery + early nand pioneering work.

This comes with the usual disclaimers - flashing your phone is inherently dangerous, etc. So do this at your own risk.

Download here, and flash via CWM recovery. Alternative Mirror Location.
    Kernel update containing bug fixes. Flash also via CWM. Alternative Mirror Location.
    CRITICAL: ril_update.zip. Should fix booting problems form GSM flks. Flash also via CWM. Alternative Mirror Location.
    Hi Detule, I installed all update from scratch (task29, rhodimg.nbh, cwm_recovery) and installed your build with new ril and kernel update. All working great, only I have problem with light sensor..

Hey thanks for the feedback.

Couple of notes -> really not _my_ build. The credits should largely go to

Kernel: jonpry + wistilt2 for porting the latest kernels to haret, and of course ACL for all of his hard work on nand.

Userland: This is stock xdandroid userland -> many, many people have contributed, and of course a lot of credit goes to some excellent feedback/testing that has happened over the past few months - hats off to you folks.

Light sensor/Auto-backlight -> known issue, and not something that is immediately fixable. Here's a little background on why it doesn't work: These kernels are originally set-up to work in haret, where in order to enable auto-backlight we are able to toggle a specific function mode on the panel called LABC (Ligh sensor based Automatic Backlight Control). Think of this mode as hardware auto-backlight support. In short, there is internal circuitry in the panel itself that (in LABC mode) can both enable the light sensor, poll its values AND adjust the screen backlight without any interaction from the user at all. In fact we don't even see or report the light sensor values anywhere since it's all handled internally by the panel. Because we've been successful at doing this in haret, we've setup the userland support in GBX to match this -> when you check Auto-backlight in Settings->Display, the userland library in GBX does not try to poll a light sensor, in fact it completely stops trying to set the backlight of the panel and lets the panel adjust itself.

The alternative (this is how is done in .27 nand + omgb) is, when you check auto-backlight in settings->display, userland instructs the kernel to enable the light sensor, the kernel then polls the light sensor and reports values to userland on regular intervals, userland takes these values and matches them against a fixed table to decide what the panel backlight should be, and finally returns information to the kernel about the final panel backlight.

For some reason we are unable to toggle LABC on nand yet. Not sure if we ever will be which means we may have to go "poll the light sensor" route. This involves changes to both kernel AND userland and I personally would like to avoid if possible. So i think some effort should be made into trying to figure out what's wrong with enabling LABC on nand. At any rate, it's pretty remarkable that's the only outstanding issue, and I think we are close to merging the 3.x nand with haret trees.
    Logs are attached. I'm very hopeful that you can help. I'll be happy to get any information you need, or give you control over my phone with wifi, etc. Kernel mods I can handle, but RIL is outside my area of expertise.

Michael

It looks like the code in the RIL for automatic detection of CDMA vs GSM mode is getting confused when the GSM signal drops out, the reaction from the radio is the same as when the phone is operating in CDMA mode.

Probably this particular detection should only be done when the network type is set to GSM/CDMA Auto.

edit: I've pushed a patch for this to gitorious. Don't have a current build env any more, so I cannot provide a test binary here.
    Thank you very much! Perhaps detule is willing to make another release with this ril update and (if they didn't make them in, I never verified) the ACL battery changes?

I am travelling for the next three weeks, but I should be able to put together a patched RIL when I get back.

The haret vs. nand xdandroid RIL has a minor change - if someone wants to put a patched binary before then I could probably recall semi-coherently what it is.
    If you didn't experience any problems updating from 3.3.4 to 3.3.6 ignore this post.

To those of you who had a problem with wifi/data going from 3.3.4->3.3.6:

1. Reinstall gbx0c-ota
    2. Reinstall ril_update
    3. Reinstall (this is a new link):

Seems problem was somehow tied to a faulty re-write of the dmesg binary in the system partition (this is why some of you couldn't successfully revert to 3.3.4).

Thanks to milda25 for testing the solution, and for everyone who collected detailed logs.