Boost performance tips (All ROMS) -NEW updates 11/2/10

Search This thread

g.lewarne

May 13, 2009
Plymouth
Use at you own risk, but these have been fully tested on my handset without any issues. I do not post tips that I have not used for more than 24 hours.

Make a full backup before proceeding!

Remember to restart after registry modifications!

NOTICE TO ALL CHEFS
If you decide to integrate any or all of these tweaks into a ROM, please give me due credit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

576Mb ROM USERS ONLY

Change:
HKLM/System/StorageManager/FATFS/CacheSize To: 65536
this tip enables a 32mb filesystem cache. it is unsuitable for 1.66 roms as will necessitate a hard reset.

Change:
HKLM/System/StorageManager/FATFS/EnableCache To: 1
this enables the filesystem cache (it may be set to 0 for disabled)

Change:
HKLM/System/StorageManager/Profiles/HDProfile/FATFS/EnableCacheWarm To: 1
Honestly, im not sure to the exact function of this, but it seems to make sense run smoother. Definately improves landscape album art scrolling.
ON the microsoft website its listed as a "pre-warming cache feature". It would seem to preload commonly used data, in a similar fashion to superfetch on a PC, perhaps.
Do not set this bit on WM6.5.x ROMs, this only works on 6.5 for some odd reason

Suitable for ALL ROMs

Change:
HKLM/System/GDI/GLYPHCACHE To: 524288 (change both keys in there)
This allows for much smoother font rendering, especially when scrolling

Change:
HKLM/System/StorageManager/Filters/fsreplxfilt/ReplStoreCacheSize To: 131072
This creates a filesystem 128k sector cache filter, improves data throughput from ROM to RAM (probably) and does seem to improve indexing response and file browsing.

EDIT: file explorer just loaded my "Windows" directory in half a second with this enabled :D, and the screen does not tear when scrolling the list either any more :D:D

Added 09/2/10

Change:
HKLM/Drivers/Display/VMMaxHeapSize To: 33554432
This changes the VideoMemory max heap from 16k to 32k

Change:
HKLM/Drivers/Display/Settings/SMI2 AllocSizeMB To: 32

Change:
HKLM/Software/HTC/HTCMenus/EnableVSync To: 0
This turns off VSync in sense, making it MUCH smoother. check out the speed of the weather animations now! see that they "judder" less!

Added 10/2/10

Updated
Change:
HKLM/Software/HTC/MemoryRequired_ByAP] To: 524288
Lets allow SENSE to have some room to breath, shall we? :D

Change:
HKLM/Software/HTC/HTCAlbum/Require_Activate_Memory To: 20480
makes for faster image loading in album

Change:
HKLM/System/GDI/Drivers/Bpp To: 24
Now this IS interesting. I dont know if its just me, but were HTC holding out on us display wise? Changing the BitsPerPixel (colourdepth) from 16 to 24bit, for some reason, whether the display is actually capable of true colour or not, not only MAKES THE SCREEN LOOK BETTER but its also FASTER :D

Added 11/2/10

Change:
HKLM/Software/HTC/HTCScroll/dist_to_pan to 20
HKLM/Software/HTC/HTCScrol/flickdown_threshold to 2000
HKLM/Software/HTC/HTCScrol/flickup_threshold to 2000
HKLM/Software/HTC/HTCScrol/friction to 14
HKLM/Software/HTC/HTCScrol/init_time_period to 1
HKLM/Software/HTC/HTCScrol/velocity_factor to 18000 <---Sorry, the old value of "18" was a typo!!!!! :eek:
HKLM/Software/HTC/Manila/HTCScroll.Enable tp 1

These re-enable HTC scroll mechanism (tip above is updated) and tweak it for shorter, but faster render distances. They make Sense scrolling as smooth as butter :)

Change:
HKLM/Software/HTC/TouchGL/FilterPixel_Range To: 30

Change:
HKLM/Software/HTC/TouchGL/FlickGestureDistance To: 10

Change:
HKLM/Software/HTC/TouchGL/GestureEnable To: 50

Change:
HKLM/Software/HTC/TouchGL/PinchDistance To: 50
These tweak HTC touch driver to change its behavoiur slightly, making gesture distanced much smaller and therefore mor sensitive, but lowering the sensitivity of the filter response, These have the effect of making gesture response much better but reducing the "wiggly screen" and "jumping" cursor to some extent.

i will update the list as i find more things

Enjoy :)

With thanks to all my error-correctors! without your eagle eyes most of these would be filled with mistakes, so thankyou!
to everyone else: please try to think "laterally" when looking for a key i have listed, im am quite dyslexic so i try my best to get them right, but REG keys are hard for me to write correctly :(

Thanks go to Mazzarin for the CABs :)
Remember, the MemTweaks CAB is only suitable for 576mb rom users
Scrolling tweak CAB removed due to an incorrect value (not mazzarin's fault) waiting for a new version, for now you will have to manually apply those

Attachments

• DisableSenseVsync.cab
    825 bytes · Views: 3,163
  • HD2MemTweaks.cab
    1.2 KB · Views: 4,014
  • TouchSensitivityTweaks.cab
    922 bytes · Views: 3,623
Last edited:

samsamuel

Nov 19, 2006
samsamuel.co.uk
Feedback - just applied these tweaks (yes i'm on a 576 rom) now when i boot, it shows quietly brilliant splash screen, then booting splash screen, then whie screen then black screen then white screen then black screen then white screen then black screen then, , you get the idea, , hehe

Dont worry, not blaming, half an hour i'll have it restored, just a warning to those unfamiliar with registry tweaking.

I can only assume it's not compatible with something in this rom.

g.lewarne

May 13, 2009
Plymouth
Feedback - just applied these tweaks (yes i'm on a 576 rom) now when i boot, it shows quietly brilliant splash screen, then booting splash screen, then whie screen then black screen then white screen then black screen then white screen then black screen then, , you get the idea, , hehe

Dont worry, not blaming, half an hour i'll have it restored, just a warning to those unfamiliar with registry tweaking.

I cam only assume it's not compatible with something in this rom.

if it helps, i have had sucess with these on:

duttys: 1.4 and 1.6 (currently using duttys 1.6 and this makes it waaaaay fast :D)
AxLor
Leo_Lite
Eugenia
Xannytech

what you on?

samsamuel

Nov 19, 2006
samsamuel.co.uk
Using SONE 1.33 by seatone, and more info - on the first reboot, when it got to the flashing black/white the hardware keys still worked, and i managed to shut down by pressing long red, then tap the screen roughly where the off button would be, but now after 4 failed reboot cycles it wont go past the booting splash screen.

g.lewarne

May 13, 2009
Plymouth
Using SONE 1.33 by seatone, and more info - on the first reboot, when it got to the flashing black/white the hardware keys still worked, and i managed to shut down by pressing long red, then tap the screen roughly where the off button would be, but now after 4 failed reboot cycles it wont go past the booting splash screen.

perhaps it is to do with Wm 6.5.5? i see he uses rather new builds, perhaps that is a problem. all of the ROMS i have tested this on offer a 219xx build variant.

sorry to hear it mate. might be worth testing the glyph cache though, that should not cause you any issues (so far THAT works on all roms i have tried)

samsamuel

Nov 19, 2006
samsamuel.co.uk
Re 6.5.x yea that could be it, ill have a tinker when i've re flashed

and hey, no worries. It will take me longer to charge it up enough for it to allow me to flash than it will to retore it, hehe. I don't have that much installed, and what i do use is in a cab store on the sd, data is on the card too, so no loss.

TrYde

Aug 8, 2007
Toulon
Confirmed on Dutty 1.4, works nice, though it is not easy to spot the difference since Dutty's rom is already fast :)

g.lewarne

May 13, 2009
Plymouth
i do have some more, but im still testing them at the moment.

there are options for SD caching, but they behave oddly, im trying to work it out :)

Cheers Tryde :)

rovex

Nov 13, 2008
Its probably the EnableCacheWarm that kills the 6.5.x ROMs. The others seem to work fine. Ive not tried that setting i will admit, just in case it does kill it.

g.lewarne

May 13, 2009
Plymouth
thanks for all your input so far guys. will post a couple more later today, and make some changes to first post. Its nice i think to give a little something back to the community. Perhaps some cookers should trial these and cook them into their ROMs?

watch this space :)

ebliss

Oct 18, 2005
Just tried it on XannyTech Pandora 1.4. All the tweaks worked, no hard resets.

nitrate

Dec 24, 2008
Goerlitz
Could you please tell us what the original registry settings are? Because i got problems with the panorama mode of my HTC HD2's camera. I want to reset to the original settings.

Thanks in advance.

g.lewarne

May 13, 2009
Plymouth
the default settings depend on your original rom.

However,none of these settings affect the camera in any way