[Boost/Virgin Mobile][ROM/Modem]TouchWiz NDC

Search This thread

moonknightus

Mar 7, 2011
NDC Stock ROM

This is ONLY for use if you have already updated your bootloader to ND8 or NDC.

Custom recovery flashable stock ROM for those of you who want to go back to stock after trying other ROMs.

This does not include the modem, bootloader, recovery, RPM, or TZ.

Has been tested with ND8 and NDC bootloaders and modems.

This is pure stock pulled directly from the system image from the Kies TAR file.

Download Stock ROM

NDC Modem

This is the modem image from the Virgin/Boost NDC update flashable via custom recovery.

This has been tested with ND8 and NDC bootloaders. To use with an ND8 based ROM, you'll need a custom kernel as the stock ND8 kernel does not appear to work with it.

Download NDC modem

Be sure to thank Agent4834, jdsingle76, and everybody else in this thread who helped make this possible.

Last edited:

moonknightus

Mar 7, 2011
I wonder if anyone who's had trouble with bad signal and /or data on the ND8 Modem will have better luck with NDC? Not I, just curious since some people had better luck with MK5 than MK3.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Wicked X v6.5, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

I haven't noticed any significant difference between ND8 and NDC as far as signal goes. YMMV

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I haven't noticed any significant difference between ND8 and NDC as far as signal goes. YMMV

Do you want to note that anyone not on the ND8 or NDC bootloader shouldn't flash the NDC modem? Or was it people who had the MK3 bootloader who tried flashing just the ND8 bootloader and hard bricked their phones? Either way, that's why @CNexus pulled his links for just the modem. @rompnit and @tdunham would know, I think that's what they did which hard bricked their phones.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Wicked X v6.5, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: prboy1969

moonknightus

Mar 7, 2011
Do you want to note that anyone not on the ND8 or NDC bootloader shouldn't flash the NDC modem? Or was it people who had the MK3 bootloader who tried flashing just the ND8 bootloader and hard bricked their phones? Either way, that's why @CNexus pulled his links for just the modem. @rompnit and @tdunham would know, I think that's what they did which hard bricked their phones.

Like this line from the OP?

;). I'll rearrange the OP later to make it more prominent.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Like this line from the OP?

;). I'll rearrange the OP later to make it more prominent.

Tell tale signs I should already be in bed. ? Sorry about that.

Edit: if you can make it flash and maybe have dancing girls around it, that would be great, um'kay? LOL.

Last edited:

moonknightus

Mar 7, 2011
Tell tale signs I should already be in bed. ? Sorry about that.

Edit: if you can make it flash and maybe have dancing girls around it, that would be great, um'kay? LOL.

Called the party store, they were all out of sparkles and dancing girls. How about I just put it in a bigger font size and put it in there twice instead? Anyway, I re-read my OP and it was kind of confusing the way I had it in there so it's been re-arranged. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Called the party store, they were all out of sparkles and dancing girls. How about I just put it in a bigger font size and put it in there twice instead? Anyway, I re-read my OP and it was kind of confusing the way I had it in there so it's been re-arranged. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

LOL! You're welcome!

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
I would suggest even Larger Bold font for : " This is ONLY for use if you have already updated your bootloader to ND8 or NDC " . Maybe size 5 / 6 . Center it on the post. Lastly I would add a disclaimer to the OP at the bottom ;) .
The reason for all this precaution is as roirraW "edor" ehT stated, several people did BRICK there devices :( .

slickdaddy96

Sep 8, 2009
I can confirm that flashing the NDC modem if you are on sprint may fix the issues people were having holding on to LTE with the ND8 modem though you may need to flash a custom kernel to get WiFi working.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

moonknightus

Mar 7, 2011
I would suggest even Larger Bold font for : " This is ONLY for use if you have already updated your bootloader to ND8 or NDC " . Maybe size 5 / 6 . Center it on the post. Lastly I would add a disclaimer to the OP at the bottom ;) .
The reason for all this precaution is as roirraW "edor" ehT stated, several people did BRICK there devices :( .

I guess my stance on it is if they can't read the post in full (it's quite short), then perhaps they deserve to brick their devices. :)

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer
What if they're color blind and don't see it because it's red? Jk[emoji14]

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png

azazell32

Aug 28, 2010
Can anyone help me with my s3? after updating to kit Kat nd8 my Wi-Fi, Bluetooth have very poor signal reception. I cant pick up my home Wi-Fi from my bedroom and my Bluetooth has to be within 1 foot range of phone or it drops. I just flash this modem and Ktoons kernel still have poor reception on my phone. all other devices in house picks up fine. I don't know what else to try.

moonknightus

Mar 7, 2011
Can anyone help me with my s3? after updating to kit Kat nd8 my Wi-Fi, Bluetooth have very poor signal reception. I cant pick up my home Wi-Fi from my bedroom and my Bluetooth has to be within 1 foot range of phone or it drops. I just flash this modem and Ktoons kernel still have poor reception on my phone. all other devices in house picks up fine. I don't know what else to try.

This is an NDC modem. Not an ND8 modem. My personal testing shows that it works ok on ND8 but YMMV. Try going back to the ND8 ROM, which I assume you made a backup of via recovery before haphazardly flashing a modem.

Rodnelson23

Mar 14, 2013
Can anyone tell me if the 4.4.2 can be rooted? I rooted several phones but the boost galaxy s3 will not root.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1402507524281.jpg
    1402507524281.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 104

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NDC Stock ROM

Custom recovery flashable stock ROM for those of you who want to go back to stock after trying other ROMs.

This does not include the modem, bootloader, recovery, RPM, or TZ.

Has been tested with ND8 and NDC bootloaders and modems.

This is pure stock pulled directly from the system image from the Kies TAR file.

Download Stock ROM

NDC Modem

This is the modem image from the Virgin/Boost NDC update flashable via custom recovery.

This has been tested with ND8 and NDC bootloaders. To use with an ND8 based ROM, you'll need a custom kernel as the stock ND8 kernel does not appear to work with it.

Download NDC modem

Be sure to thank Agent4834, jdsingle76, and everybody else in this thread who helped make this possible.
    Just wanting to confirm..

I have ND8 bootloader and ND8 modem. Flashing the NDC rom and NDC modem over ND8 should be no problem?

This ROM doesn't change the modem or bootloader. The NDC modem works fine with the ND8 bootloader if you have a compatible ROM/kernel. For example, the ND8 stock kernel doesn't work with the NDC modem. However, none of the 3rd-party kernels that I've tried work the the NDC ROMs (which is why my ROM is ND8 based with 3rd-party kernel). I don't really know if the NDC ROM works with the ND8 bootloader as I don't remember trying it.

So compatibility examples that I've come across:

ND8 ROM with ND8 bootloader, ND8 modem, ND8 kernel: Everything works fine.
    ND8 ROM with NDC bootloader, NDC modem, ND8 kernel: No mobile data.
    ND8 ROM with NDC bootloader, NDC modem, KT747 kernel: Everything works fine.
    NDC ROM with NDC bootloader, NDC modem, KT747 kernel: No mobile data.
    NDC ROM with NDC bootloader, NDC modem, NDC kernel: Everything works fine.

As always, your experience may vary.
    Ok this what my phone says when I put cwm on. From there it's useless to choose an option.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

USE PHILZ RECOVERY

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png
    ??? WTH?

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Can anyone tell me if the 4.4.2 can be rooted? I rooted several phones but the boost galaxy s3 will not root.

Yes, just Odin the very latest Philz recovery tar, look in it's menus for it's option to check for root when you exit, checkmark it, then tell recovery to reboot. It'll offer to root your phone for you.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app
    You can ROOT through a custom recovery. I would recommend Philz Recovery.

1. ) Download Philz Recovery Tar from HERE

2.) Flash Philz Recovery from ODIN

3.) Reboot back into Philz Recovery

4.) Go to Philz settings - Reroot - Yes to Apply SuperSU - Reboot

5.) Download / Install SuperSU from the Playstore

6.) Open it - when prompted to disable KNOX say yes

7.) Done

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

You are going to have to Flash ND8 TAR through ODIN again in order to get the ND8 Modem. You can get it HERE. The original post that contained the ND8 Modem DL was taken down.
    Also do not forget to update PRL / Profile after updating a Modem. I would actually suggest updating PRL / Profile before trying anything else.

This is an NDC modem. Not an ND8 modem. My personal testing shows that it works ok on ND8 but YMMV. Try going back to the ND8 ROM, which I assume you made a backup of via recovery before haphazardly flashing a modem.
    Nandroid Backups do not backup the Modem, nor change it.