[APP][Root][4.0+] KernelControl Beta [update 9][Plugin interface]

Search This thread

Benee

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 15, 2010
Are you going to have a Free and Pro version like for example Trickster Mod has it? or after the beta is over it is just going to be a Pro version?

Thanks for the app, it is great.

Erik

Only a paid next version. The app will be free on xda and stay one or two updates behind. Only the next version will be in the play store. So only a donate version. I won't add advertising or anything else

Reactions: ricco333

keenofhiphop

Jul 30, 2012
wonderful app, and you are a machine of a developer!
I can share some ideas of what you could add:
profiles would be cool, but not really necessary,
and kernel-individual features such as intelli_demand or eco-mode... my current kernel doesnt support them, so if they already exist please ignore me :)
Liebe Grüße

Gesendet von meinem Sony Xperia SP

Benee

Mar 15, 2010
wonderful app, and you are a machine of a developer!
I can share some ideas of what you could add:
profiles would be cool, but not really necessary,
and kernel-individual features such as intelli_demand or eco-mode... my current kernel doesnt support them, so if they already exist please ignore me :)
Liebe Grüße

First. My little pony is awesome ;)

Profiles aren't planned at the moment because I think the governors are advanced enough to decide what frequency to set etc. The sleep profiles are even harmful. The keyword is race to idle. Intellidemand is a governor which needs kernel support. I thought about adding it for vm parameters (infrequent flushing while on battery and frequent while on ac) and other stuff, but total global values are hard to implement because I want a plugin interface etc.

Reactions: keenofhiphop

ricco333

Jul 24, 2012
Miami, FL
Ok, the app is great and I definitely would buy it once it goes into the Play Store, here is a couple of things I have noticed. when switching between CPU, Memory & I/O, Miscellaneous and Info sections the app opens a new tab each time you select a section, by the time I was done and wanted to exit Kernel Control I had to hit the back nav button 8 times before the app could exit. Another thing, and this is more of a request, could it be possible to have a notification message stating set on boot was successful, the message is available for improper shutdown but not for successful set on boot.
I have the app installed on a Nexus 10 running PAC 4.3

Again, Thanks

Erik

Prowler

Mar 31, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S8
Amazing app, works like a charm on Razr i, just an suggestion: holo dark version or the hability to change theme on the go like Performance Control by AOKP, Thanks!

Enviado desde mi XT890 usando Tapatalk 4

Benee

Mar 15, 2010
Ok, the app is great and I definitely would buy it once it goes into the Play Store, here is a couple of things I have noticed. when switching between CPU, Memory & I/O, Miscellaneous and Info sections the app opens a new tab each time you select a section, by the time I was done and wanted to exit Kernel Control I had to hit the back nav button 8 times before the app could exit.

Oh damn :D This was on my ToDo list but yeah other stuff got in the way and I totally forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me ;)

Another thing, and this is more of a request, could it be possible to have a notification message stating set on boot was successful, the message is available for improper shutdown but not for successful set on boot.
I have the app installed on a Nexus 10 running PAC 4.3

Yeah thought about a notification. Most likely I will add a Toast because a notification is to annoying (for every successful boot). Or maybe via settings choosable (not at all, toast, notification). The nice thing about nothing at all is, it seems to work like magic ;).

Amazing app, works like a charm on Razr i, just an suggestion: holo dark version or the hability to change theme on the go like Performance Control by AOKP, Thanks!

Enviado desde mi XT890 usando Tapatalk 4

Still thinking about a way to make dark cards nice looking. Dark cards look kinda ugly imho :D

keenofhiphop

Jul 30, 2012
no dark design please :D
and i meant intelli_plug, not demand^^
Bit confused....
Liebe Grüße

Benee

Mar 15, 2010

keenofhiphop

Jul 30, 2012
Never heard of intelli_plug. Sounds like it is device specific.

it is for quad-core devices but works on double cores as well.
It is similar to mpdecision in qualcomm kernels, shortly it decides when to switch off cores. maybe it is qualcomm specific, i dont know much about it.
Liebe Grüße

Benee

Mar 15, 2010
it is for quad-core devices but works on double cores as well.
It is similar to mpdecision in qualcomm kernels, shortly it decides when to switch off cores. maybe it is qualcomm specific, i dont know much about it.
Liebe Grüße

Oh I see. Yeah that's the 3rd party stuff I'm talking about. The stuff why I'm designing a plugin interface ;). Too much stuff to add. Every device has a plethora different interfaces. Would be a major PITA to add this manually without neglecting some users and no possibility to test the result (I only own 2 phones and 1 tablet :D).

Anyway: Fixed lots of bugs and incorporated all feature requests ;)

Benee

Mar 15, 2010
Update 7

Hi,

huge update ;)

• obligatory crash fixes
  • fix the navigation stack
  • boot restore: New notification/toast/no notification for a successful restore (selectable in settings)
  • boot restore: notification for a unsuccessful restore
  • Switch from Crittercism to ACRA for reporting. Better reports for me ;). You can disable it in settings if you like tinfoil heads. If you want to help me, add your mail address to a crash report (in settings).
  • Analytics integrated (you can disable it in settings if you are a tinfoil guy ;) )
  • Feature request via mail in settings
  • Link to g+ community in settings
  • Some UI changes/fixes

Reactions: R.A.G.E and TJKV

Benee

Mar 15, 2010
Thank you. Very nice app. I would like to ask you what you are using to take bug reports. I am interested in using it into my apps too. Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ACRA it's free and open source. Good arguments for it.

I can't go to cpu tab from anywhere

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 4 en utilisant Tapatalk 4

Huh? This isn't really a specific report. Which app version do you use? Is it crashing?

Last edited:
Reactions: spirosbond

Benee

Mar 15, 2010
Hi,

just a small heads up. Nearly done with the plugin interface and it's working out awesome :D. Nearly done with it. Just a few more things to finish.

Screenshot Menu (App name and Icon are pulled from the plugin app)
Screenshot Plugin

For the plugin I just needed to write a tiny bit of code:
Code:
public class KernelPluginInterfaces extends KernelInterfaceMessageService {
    private int mID = 0;
      [user=439709]@override[/user]
    public void addInterfaces() {
        int sound_category = mID++;
        add(new Category(sound_category, "Sound tweaks"));
        add(new SeekBarKernelInterface(mID++, "Headset Boost", "/sys/class/misc/soundcontrol/headset_boost",
                "Boost the headset output", -30, 30).setCategoryID(sound_category));
        add(new SeekBarKernelInterface(mID++, "Volume Boost", "/sys/class/misc/soundcontrol/volume_boost",
                "Boost the volume output", -20, 20).setCategoryID(sound_category));
        add(new EditTextKernelInterface(mID++, "Cores on Touch", "/sys/class/misc/mako_hotplug_control/cores_on_touch",
                "Cores going up after a touch", 1, 4));
    }
}

The whole checking, reading, ui generating is done by my app. I just need the path, a description, possible steps (like increment in 10) and min and max values. Currenlty I have 4 types of "types". Categories, SeekBars, EditTexts and Switches. I will add more types later (maybe on request from developers).

So if you have a favorite kernel developer who uses interfaces, you may can link him/her to this thread. It would be awesome ;).

An example app with docu will be released later on my github. Just need to write docu and smooth some things out ;). If you don't need docu, I can send you a PM with the lib.

Edit:

Oh and this is the first "API" I have written. I'm open for improvements ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: huseinn

m@nish123

Aug 17, 2013
Mumbai
Is it safe for meaditek quad core devices or canvas 2 plus i m using it

Sent from my Micromax A110Q using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I'm presenting you KernelControl. A beautiful app to tweak your kernel.

Banner1.png

This is a beta at the moment, because I only have a limited device pool and testing the app on friend's phones resulted in some workarounds. The app will be released on Play Store after the beta is over for a few bucks, but I will post new free, full featured and ad free versions here from time to time.

Google+ Community for better communication: click

Features:
    • Phone, 7 inch and 10 inch layout
    • Card UI
    • A safe boot receiver. It should detect if the shutdown was wanted or a dropout
    • CPU frequency changing
    • CPU Governor Changing and tweaking the governor kernel parameter
    • Voltage changing
    • Low Memory Killer tweaking
    • VM Settings tweaking
    • Switch the I/O scheduler
    • tweak the kernel parameter of the I/O scheduler
    • Change the readahead buffer size
    • Change the TCP congestion control
    • Toggle fast charging (if supported)
    • Lots of informations about your device. Like CPU load, average system load, information about your SOC, time in state and RAM usage information [available for users without root access]
    • Create your own plugins! More info here
    • More to come

Plugin API:
    If you want to add a plugin I have created a simple API available at Github. Feel free to message me here on xda, the g+ community or via the in app contact options. I will respond as soon as I can ;)

So if you want to help, test it and if it crashes provide a logcat output of the error and some small description what you have done. Please post issues with the app like unexpected behaviour and last but not least if you find some spelling, grammar etc. mistakes, please post this too (english isn't my native language).

If you have any idea to further improve this app, please post it here too.

Changelog:
    • Update-1: Fix for devices with a smaller screen than 360dp
    • Update-2: Fix hdpi layout getting cropped
    • Update-3: More bug fixes
    • Update-4: Fixed threading issues, fixed some more force closes, fixed the spinner issue (setting a item without a change by the user), DashClock extension
    • Update-5: Build with proguard (smaller size), bug fixes, automatically crash reporting (you can opt out if you need the tinfoil head), new package name (you can deinstall the old app. The old naming will be used for the Play Store variant)
    • Update-6: Only crash fixes. Lots of them.
    • Update-7: Huge changelog
    • Update-8: Plugin interface. For the rest have a look here
    • Update-9: Plugin interface: Feature request: hide VM, Governor, I/O Settings via a plugin. Layout fixes for tablets.

Permissions explained:
    • RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: for the boot restore
    • ACCESS_SUPERUSER: Manipulating kernel interfaces
    • INTERNET: Crash reporting and Analytics (to help me improve the app)
    • ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Same Crash reporting and Analytics
    • GET_ACCOUNTS: Never used unless you attach contact information to your crash report
    • USE_CREDENTIALS: Never used unless you attach contact information to your crash report
    • READ_PROFILE: Never used unless you attach contact information to your crash report
    • READ_CONTACTS: Never used unless you attach contact information to your crash report

Libraries used in this project:
    • Crouton
    • RootTools
    • Crashlytics
    • Analytics
    • Dashclock API

Hi,

I wish you all a merry christmas first ;). Secondly I was working hard over the last days to implement the theming capabilities and I had some time to think about a different way than the current swipe stuff to navigate between tabs. IMHO swipes are horrible with SeekBars :D.

Anyway here, have some screenshots for the theming stuff (pretty rough right now). As from now on always: Source on my github
    Hi,

finally some time again :). The bright colorful action bar is gone and was replaced by a elegant transparent action bar (and status bar). The dark ui is working out really way and I think I'm starting to digging it. The parallax effect is gone too. The chart now stays fixed at the top and the content (the cards with settings) will scroll over it.

So what's left? the content obviously and I need to work on the chart stuff. I will work on the chart stuff first and I will turn it into a small library (free and open source of course ;) ). Then adding the content. I can kang some stuff from the old app from it. This won't take too long (which is awesome).

That's it
    Plugin interface!

Hi!

I have finally finished it ;) hehe. So..

Changelog Beta 8:
    • Plugin interface!
    • Dashclock Settings fixed
    • Restyle of cards. Now the "apply on boot" option is always in the overflow menu
    • Long card titles are scaled down, so they don't overlap anymore
    • Moved from ACRA to Crashlytics. Much stabler service. Toggling reporting is gone, I wrote them a feature request - hopefully it will be added.
    • No need to enter your Contact information if you enable attach to crash report. It is fetched from your g+ account and the owner contact information.
    • Added a link to the XDA thread in settings.
    • New icon

So if you have a favorite kernel or you are a kernel developer (or a person who is capable of writing a bit of code and want some specific interfaces available) - check out the API at my Github and develope your own plugin. It is pretty easy to develope and maintain.
    +1
    thanks for ur amazing app
    waiting for badass (v2.0) ....

The app ui looks so nice :) waiting eagerly to try this app along with @alin.p's Badass kernel :)

Nice to see you guys here ;)

I'm currently working on overcoming the last hurdle for the plugin interface. The complete UI generation of the plugin cards are done. The only thing missing is the representation of the cards (a grid with dynamics heights) - for the guys who want to point me to staggered gridview: Yep I know this but it can't be applied here.

But hey I made some nice progress on this today ;)

Edit:

Finally only a few bugs are left with the 10 inch tablet ui. But here is a version of the phone ui:
    Screenshot_2013-09-15-23-42-28.png