Long video of Nexus 10, shows official cover!

Search This thread

GoodnessofL

Oct 24, 2012
i really like it. i think what they are doing is in the right track.. i dont have any tablets yet so easily this will have to take my money

Kookas

Jun 27, 2012
Yep. I've actually been wondering whether I would be better off with a Nexus 7, but come to think of it since I carry a tablet as a replacement for a laptop I'll just use my phone when I need a smaller, lighter screen for in bed or whatever.

hbwheat

Sep 7, 2012
Yep. I've actually been wondering whether I would be better off with a Nexus 7, but come to think of it since I carry a tablet as a replacement for a laptop I'll just use my phone when I need a smaller, lighter screen for in bed or whatever.

Yeah, know what you mean....I said I wasn't going to get a tablet (i'm in college don't want/need to spend the money) , howeverrr I would much rather carry this around instead of my 15" Gateway laptop. An OTG cable and flashdrive i'm set with storage + cloud/wifi. The only thing is I wish there would be a microUSB slot. :-I The price wants me to forget that though...haha

rookiegenius

Jul 7, 2012
Yeah, know what you mean....I said I wasn't going to get a tablet (i'm in college don't want/need to spend the money) , howeverrr I would much rather carry this around instead of my 15" Gateway laptop. An OTG cable and flashdrive i'm set with storage + cloud/wifi. The only thing is I wish there would be a microUSB slot. :-I The price wants me to forget that though...haha

tablet can't replace a laptop yet...

I mostly use a tablet for surfing, read comic and documents lol

hbwheat

Sep 7, 2012
@rookiegenius Personally, a tablet with a physical keyboard will do what I need for school. :)

I know what you mean..but the big thing is the battery would probably last 2-3 times what my laptop would.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Kookas

Jun 27, 2012
tablet can't replace a laptop yet...

I mostly use a tablet for surfing, read comic and documents lol

Which is precisely what I use a laptop for... there isn't much else to do on a laptop, really, unless you want to pay an extortionate price for a laptop that doesn't suck. Fo a lot of things that can only be done right now on a laptop, it's just down to the company that makes the program not having clocked on to the huge mobile market... for example, the tablet version of Photoshop can do a surprising amount of stuff. You also have AIDE for app developing, and there's probably a HTML/PHP/etc editor out there on Play somewhere, I haven't really looked. The main apps that don't exist in any real substantial form are 3d modelling, video and music/sound editing software (anyone think Blender might hit ARM?). Otherwise you're all good to chuck out the laptop for a tablet. The convenience far outweighs the losses, IMO.

Oh, and there isn't a real decent office suite, but Google ought to be working on it with Drive.

Last edited:

ChronicLynx

Oct 26, 2012
I think something like the Surface Pro could easily replace a laptop in all categories. The only problem is the premium laptop price that comes with it. Google has really stepped it up with the new Nexus devices though.

Kookas

Jun 27, 2012
I think something like the Surface Pro could easily replace a laptop in all categories. The only problem is the premium laptop price that comes with it. Google has really stepped it up with the new Nexus devices though.

Yeah, I mean a tablet can't replace a laptop until it has a fully functional fan, right?

But really, there is no room for mechanical parts in this digital era. The Pro sounds awkward in just about every way as far as portability goes. I don't really like the idea of an x86 tablet either, I think it's just Intel desperately clinging on to their business. All we need are ARM apps which do what we're missing from x86.

via Tapatalk

Last edited:

chrishin

Mar 15, 2012
New York
As a sys admin and developer I use Unix/Linux at work. Android is Linux and with some proper apps and utils installed, I have a full shell command line. I can connect to the corporate network and having shell I'm able to perform a lot of daily tasks with my GalaxyTab. No need to carry my notebook all the time. I'm going to order N10/32G (screen resolution plus performance) and hope, a docking station with a usable keyboard will be available soon
Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium HD app

Kookas

Jun 27, 2012
As a sys admin and developer I use Unix/Linux at work. Android is Linux and with some proper apps and utils installed, I have a full shell command line. I can connect to the corporate network and having shell I'm able to perform a lot of daily tasks with my GalaxyTab. No need to carry my notebook all the time. I'm going to order N10/32G (screen resolution plus performance) and hope, a docking station with a usable keyboard will be available soon

I doubt you will see something like that, except in the unlikely event that this thing takes off and gets loads of custom made accessories. You'll probably have to prop it against a wall and use Bluetooth.

via Tapatalk

chrishin

Mar 15, 2012
New York
I doubt you will see something like that, except in the unlikely event that this thing takes off and gets loads of custom made accessories. You'll probably have to prop it against a wall and use Bluetooth.

via Tapatalk

Yes, bluetooth is an alternative. I use b-t keyboard with my current tablet, but don't like the battery drain. On-screen keyboard covers too much, so maybe with the higher resolution will be also acceptable.

Top Liked Posts