[GUIDE] INSTALLING TWRP on LGG2 (VZW, AT&T, TMobile, KT, d802, others) [UPDATED]

Search This thread

WACOMalt

Jul 31, 2009
Google Pixel 6
NOTE! This guide is extremely old and likely isnt up to date. I cannot maintain it any more. If anyone is willing to take it over and fix any issues, let me know!

TOOK THE OTA AND GOT STUCK IN RECOVERY LOOP? DERP, DONT TAKE OTAS, DUH. ANYWAYS, IF YOU CANT GET INTO DOWNLOAD MODE AFTER OTA, DO THIS

GUIDE:

Thanks to Bliss who worked the exploit into Loki, Dees_Troy built TWRP for us, djkinetic, Huskehn, and myself tested.

So good news folks! TWRP is now working on LG G2 thanks to an updated loki patch from bliss. Note that Loki patch is not necessarily an unlocked bootloader, but for the end user there is basically no difference. We can flash kernels (when they exist) roms (when they exist) recoveries etc etc. A full bootloader unlock could come someday, but this is all you will need until then.

First off, if you have issues with ADB not connecting, try THESE DRIVERS

The install is super simple, and you have two or 3 options.

Download the img for your device:
AT&T IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 2.6.3.3
Verizon IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 2.6.3.3
TMobile IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 2.6.3.3
Korean Telecom IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 2.6.3.3
d802 IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 2.6.3.3
For other models, click HERE and scroll down to find the files beginning with d2, and see if any of the folders sound like your model.
NOTE FOR THESE DOWNLOADS! READ ME! UPDATE! Ok, so if you look in the download page for your device and you are getting a zip file, this is a flashable zip, but it cannot be treated the same as an IMG file in this guide. You need to flash an older one that is a .img file, and then use that to flash the newer zip.

YOU MUST ALREADY BE ROOTED! follow This guide to do so if you arent. BE AWARE THAT THIS ROOTING METHOD ONLY WORKS BEFORE TAKING THE OTA. IF YOU ARE UPDATED AND UNABLE TO ROOT, FOR NOW THE ONLY WAY IS TO FLASH BACK TO STOCK AND ROOT BEFORE THE OTA, THEN TAKE THE OTA, THEN INSTALL TWRP

NOTE THAT ALL GUIDES BELOW ARE REFERENCING THE VZW img file. Be sure to replace it with whatever version you downloaded!
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT FLASH ANYTHING NOT MADE FOR YOU PHONE SPECIFICALLY!

OPTION 1 RECOMMENDED The way I tested it in #lg-g2 Possibly safer as loki runs some safety checks first. Download loki from github here Click download zip on the right. and go into the bin folder of the zip. push loki flash and the img like so:

Code:
adb push loki_flash /data/local/tmp/loki_flash

adb push openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-g2vzw.img /data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-g2vzw.img

adb shell
[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"](IF YOU DONT SEE A # prompt, type su to get it.)[/COLOR][/B]
cd /data/local/tmp

chmod 777 loki_flash

./loki_flash recovery /data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-g2vzw.img

exit

adb reboot recovery
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPTION 2 via dd. Push just the recovery img like this:
Code:
adb push openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-g2vzw.img /data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-g2vzw.img

adb shell
[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"](IF YOU DONT SEE A # prompt, type su to get it.)[/COLOR][/B]
cd /data/local/tmp

dd if=/data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-g2vzw.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

exit

adb reboot recovery

--------------------------------------------

OPTION 3 easy, untested (as of time of writing) install it from goomanager on the phone! This aparantly does work bu you have to manually browse to the file or something... anyone who's tried care to clarify?
I tried and cant figure out where you find the recovery. I recommend Option 1 or 2 :)

----------------------------------------------

Troubleshooting:
If you get "Failed to open aboot for reading." when following method 1, Be sure you have the # prompt, not $. If you rooted properly you should alutomatically have # in shell, but if not just type su to get it. then run the flashing command.

If you had confusion based on the pushing steps because the two img names listed in the command were different, my bad. the filenames changed while I was writing from test version to final, I missed replacing the first name in the commands. Look at the post again as it is fixed now.

If adb reboot doesnt work, make sure that "exit" command fully exited you out of the adb shell prompt. you should be at standard command prompt for that. type exit again if you arent, or heck just open a new command prompt :p

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be happy with what you have, so soon. Be sure to thank all the devs and donate to them![/SIZE][/U]

Last edited:

Fidelio_o

Sep 1, 2007
Got stuck trying to send the recovery to my ATT G2, replacing verizon files, renamed all the files including recovery file to RECOVERY and got it running. TWRP up and running. WOOOHOOO, let the roms begin lol

Last edited:

JustusIV

Jan 11, 2008
This doesn't mean anything about the bootloader does it? You still have to run the stock kernal?

Reactions: lawong

imstill@g

Jun 6, 2007
OnePlus 9
If this works as the loki for the S4 did, then we will have access to flash everything. Kernel, modem, and ROM. There are no boundaries.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

imstill@g

Jun 6, 2007
OnePlus 9
Basically the bootloader no longer matters except for the purity of beating them at their own game. I am sure there are other benefits, but crackflashers will have our fix;)

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

synplex

May 29, 2008
Miami
www.MTFX.tv
HUGH Thanks to everyone that made this possible! :victory: You guys are the reason I stick with android and never worry about buying the latest devices.
Patience paid off. :highfive:

Now Bring on the ROMS!!!!!:laugh:

Reactions: smudgie

kei6193

Jan 18, 2010
Do I need to root before this

Nvm I'm dumb

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Han Solo 1

Aug 28, 2013
Since there is no file named simply "g2vzw.img" from the OP download links, it's not letting me do the step:

adb push g2vzw.img /data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-g2vzw.img

and tells me that no such file or directory exists, which is true.

Confused....

JustusIV

Jan 11, 2008
So in theory an OTA will patch this just like the S4 so be careful with updates.
Wish i had mine in my hands but i dont have my upgrade till the 29th.

Last edited:

Fidelio_o

Sep 1, 2007
So in theory an OTA will patch this just like the S4 so be careful updates.
Wish i had mine in my hands but i dont have my upgrade till the 29th.

Stop by the store or CS they will push it up for you no problem. They did for me just ask nicely

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jayochs

Jul 22, 2010
Central NJ
www.dinosaurstakefrance.com
Hopefully the OP will chime in here soon.

i'm also frekaing out because this is the first i heard about this chinese root method possibly having spyware..that's the method i used, and despite the fact i deleted their superuser app immediately, i'm wondering if i should go back to stock and do all that bs just to root again with the new method..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE! This guide is extremely old and likely isnt up to date. I cannot maintain it any more. If anyone is willing to take it over and fix any issues, let me know!

TOOK THE OTA AND GOT STUCK IN RECOVERY LOOP? DERP, DONT TAKE OTAS, DUH. ANYWAYS, IF YOU CANT GET INTO DOWNLOAD MODE AFTER OTA, DO THIS

GUIDE:

Thanks to Bliss who worked the exploit into Loki, Dees_Troy built TWRP for us, djkinetic, Huskehn, and myself tested.

So good news folks! TWRP is now working on LG G2 thanks to an updated loki patch from bliss. Note that Loki patch is not necessarily an unlocked bootloader, but for the end user there is basically no difference. We can flash kernels (when they exist) roms (when they exist) recoveries etc etc. A full bootloader unlock could come someday, but this is all you will need until then.

First off, if you have issues with ADB not connecting, try THESE DRIVERS

The install is super simple, and you have two or 3 options.

Download the img for your device:
    AT&T IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 2.6.3.3
    Verizon IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 2.6.3.3
    TMobile IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 2.6.3.3
    Korean Telecom IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 2.6.3.3
    d802 IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 2.6.3.3
    For other models, click HERE and scroll down to find the files beginning with d2, and see if any of the folders sound like your model.
    NOTE FOR THESE DOWNLOADS! READ ME! UPDATE! Ok, so if you look in the download page for your device and you are getting a zip file, this is a flashable zip, but it cannot be treated the same as an IMG file in this guide. You need to flash an older one that is a .img file, and then use that to flash the newer zip.

YOU MUST ALREADY BE ROOTED! follow This guide to do so if you arent. BE AWARE THAT THIS ROOTING METHOD ONLY WORKS BEFORE TAKING THE OTA. IF YOU ARE UPDATED AND UNABLE TO ROOT, FOR NOW THE ONLY WAY IS TO FLASH BACK TO STOCK AND ROOT BEFORE THE OTA, THEN TAKE THE OTA, THEN INSTALL TWRP

NOTE THAT ALL GUIDES BELOW ARE REFERENCING THE VZW img file. Be sure to replace it with whatever version you downloaded!
    ABSOLUTELY DO NOT FLASH ANYTHING NOT MADE FOR YOU PHONE SPECIFICALLY!

OPTION 1 RECOMMENDED The way I tested it in #lg-g2 Possibly safer as loki runs some safety checks first. Download loki from github here Click download zip on the right. and go into the bin folder of the zip. push loki flash and the img like so:

Code:
    adb push loki_flash /data/local/tmp/loki_flash

adb shell
    cd /data/local/tmp

chmod 777 loki_flash

./loki_flash recovery /data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-g2vzw.img

exit

adb reboot recovery
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPTION 2 via dd. Push just the recovery img like this:
    Code:

adb shell
    cd /data/local/tmp

dd if=/data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-g2vzw.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

exit

adb reboot recovery

--------------------------------------------

OPTION 3 easy, untested (as of time of writing) install it from goomanager on the phone! This aparantly does work bu you have to manually browse to the file or something... anyone who's tried care to clarify?
    I tried and cant figure out where you find the recovery. I recommend Option 1 or 2 :)

----------------------------------------------

Troubleshooting:
    If you get "Failed to open aboot for reading." when following method 1, Be sure you have the # prompt, not $. If you rooted properly you should alutomatically have # in shell, but if not just type su to get it. then run the flashing command.

If you had confusion based on the pushing steps because the two img names listed in the command were different, my bad. the filenames changed while I was writing from test version to final, I missed replacing the first name in the commands. Look at the post again as it is fixed now.

If adb reboot doesnt work, make sure that "exit" command fully exited you out of the adb shell prompt. you should be at standard command prompt for that. type exit again if you arent, or heck just open a new command prompt :p

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be happy with what you have, so soon. Be sure to thank all the devs and donate to them![/SIZE][/U]
    This works great also...this will flash the recovery for you.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2349847

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Heres a fixed version of 2.6.3.3 for verizon of the one from TWRP site that is flashable

I HAD 2.6.3.2 INSTALLED BEFORE HAND and it seems to do some patching... so i suggest you also have 2.6.3.2 installed before flashing.

openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-g2vzw-fixed.zip
    Can you please tell me how you did that im trying to get twrp installed on my LG g2 Sprint..

I just installed flashify from the market. You have to be rooted for it to work. You also need the twrp sprint image. I don't know if it is posted on here but you can download it from here http://goo.gl/GxRCVJ. Also I used the Kingo app to root it. You can get that here http://goo.gl/xV8iA5.

-Frank
    What? You mean no one cares whether or not I get this device only what @scrosler gets?
    I kid, I kid.

Nice work on getting TWRP on the device. Now it is time for something truly awesome to happen, now that this first step has been taken.

Thread Cleaned